help with older wireless system

Q & A on technical issues concerning music equipment, electronics, sound, recording, computers, gaming, the internet, etc.

Moderators: Ron, Jim Price

Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

help with older wireless system

Post by Hawk »

I have a wireless Sennheiser with a "band" frequency that is no longer allowed to be sold. Is there a way to convert it to a legal band frequency ? Or is it a throw away item ?

Sennheiser Freeport 4 channel.
www.showtimesoundllc.com
Flashpoint!
SKYE 2.0
Triple Threat
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by lonewolf »

I'm not aware of a feasible way of changing the frequency range on those. They are probably synthesized as opposed to using a crystal reference frequency.

Sennheiser may have a trade-in program for them...another thing you might want to check is Musician's friend and others' trade in programs.

Actually, you aren't allowed to operate equipment in the 700Mhz frequency range...i don't think they said anything about selling them.

:wink:
...Oh, the freedom of the day that yielded to no rule or time...
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by Hawk »

lonewolf wrote:I'm not aware of a feasible way of changing the frequency range on those. They are probably synthesized as opposed to using a crystal reference frequency.

Sennheiser may have a trade-in program for them...another thing you might want to check is Musician's friend and others' trade in programs.

Actually, you aren't allowed to operate equipment in the 700Mhz frequency range...i don't think they said anything about selling them.

I was going to just PM you because I figured you were the one who was going to post with an answer anyhow. :D Thanks Jeff.
www.showtimesoundllc.com
Flashpoint!
SKYE 2.0
Triple Threat
mjb
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by mjb »

are you going to start fronting the hawks with your wireless mic...i can see it now......."its not unusual to be loved by you...... :D
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by Hawk »

mjb wrote:are you going to start fronting the hawks with your wireless mic...i can see it now......."its not unusual to be loved by you...... :D
:lol: Actually it's Harry's. I took everything left to Ford Music Store. They are not allowed to sell it because the frequency is illegal. So we don't know what to do with it.
www.showtimesoundllc.com
Flashpoint!
SKYE 2.0
Triple Threat
LHSL
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LHSL »

lonewolf wrote:is Musician's friend and others' trade in programs.

It's also illegal to sell them, at least in the US if not all of North America.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicropho ... html#faq10
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by lonewolf »

The Sennheiser rebate program ends tomorrow, 8/31/10.

Your freeport system is worth $30!

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/specialReb ... Rebate.pdf
...Oh, the freedom of the day that yielded to no rule or time...
funkmeister

Post by funkmeister »

lonewolf wrote:I'm not aware of a feasible way of changing the frequency range on those. They are probably synthesized as opposed to using a crystal reference frequency.

Don't try to sell 'em unless you have a customer in a country that has no frequency limitations - It's a $10,000.00 fine. I don't have that kind of money to risk.....
funkmeister

Post by funkmeister »

Don't think it's legal to sell in USA, and there may be some heavy fines imposed for doing so - you probably wouldn't make many friends selling them unuseable stuff....
Squint

Post by Squint »

Unless you are fearing that the FCC is going to show up at one of your shows and fine you... You can continue to use the 700mHz systems. You might have some interference, but not likely...
Hannibal
Gold Member
Gold Member

698 - 806 MHz wireless systems

Post by Hannibal »

Wireless systems in the 698 - 806 MHz frequency band are ILLEGAL to use in North America as of June 12, 2009. These frequencies have been re-allocated by the FCC to other communications services. All the ads you have been hearing about the new G4 wireless phones are in this frequency band. Also, radio channels for police, fire, EMS and other emergency services. That is the reason you can NOT use equipment is this frequency band. Get caught? They can confiscate your equipment and fine you mass quantities of money. Max fine is $10,000 and or five years in a federal penitentiary. Replacing your wireless is cheaper and a lot less hassle.
I love it when a plan comes together.