Whats your thoughts on this...

Vote in your favorite poll, or add one of your own.

Moderators: Ron, Jim Price

How Big would your Cab Be With IEM's 80% of the time

4x12 cab
13%
2x12 cab
38%
1x12 cab
38%
No Cab needed...
13%

Total votes: 8

jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Whats your thoughts on this...

Post by jon5150 »

Using IEM's 80% of the time how big would your "Go To" Cab be?
StumbleFingers
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by StumbleFingers »

This is a trick question, right? With IEMs I could get away with a 100w head cranked to 11 with a 4x12" sitting offstage in an isolation cabinet. That would be sweet.

But realistically I'm going with 1x10" or 1x12" basically as a guitar monitor if there are issues with the IEMs, which is more often than not. So "no cab" wouldn't fly.
Back in black, I need a snack...
bassist_25

Post by bassist_25 »

Assuming everybody is using IEMs, the smallest possible cab would be the most ideal. Part of the purpose of using IEMs is to reduce stage volume to improve the FOH mix. If using a tube amp, it may even pay to choose a less efficient cabinet to reduce even more stage volume while being able to hit the "sweet spot." "No cab" could work as well assuming you have a DI solution with suitable speaker emulation. Companies are even now making tube heads with DIs that don't require loads attached. But I agree with Greg; you should still have a cab handy in case you run into IEM problems.
"He's the electric horseman, you better back off!" - old sKool making a reference to the culturally relevant 1979 film.
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by lonewolf »

I like a 2x12" vertical bassman cab for all occasions because the acoustinc coupling of the two speakers adds bass response. Mine is loaded with Celestion Century neos so it's light, articulate with tight bottom and can get just as loud as most 4x12 cabs with other Celestion models.
...Oh, the freedom of the day that yielded to no rule or time...