· The Final Cut
CHRISTMAS WEEKEND RECAP 12/26/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday May 03, 2006 

CHRISTMAS WEEKEND RECAP 12/26/05

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/21/05

It was a late Wednesday evening. I had completed my usual Wednesday “hell night” workload at the workplace. I had performed my weekly Wednesday night pizza-consuming ritual at Pellegrine’s. I was in the midst of getting my monthly Pennsylvania Musician deadline duties completed; among them was stopping off at City Limits to get Claudio’s band schedule for January.

The parking lot looked especially empty, but the bar window lights were still on, so I parked and went in. And in the parking lot, I could faintly hear what sounded like somebody singing and playing guitar. City Limits was for all intents and purposes a ghost town, but Dustin Burley was inside and singing. So I grabbed my camera and ventured inside…

City Limits was as empty on the inside as it looked from the outside; my arrival doubled the size of Dustin Burley’s audience. I procured a brewski from City Limits main man Claudio and battled through the multitude of air molecules to find an available seat to take in this – literally – one-on-one performance.

Dustin performed a number of his original songs for me during the remainder of his performance. With the first anniversary of the Asian tsunami disaster less than a week away, Dustin performed a song inspired by that event, “The Day the Ocean Spread Its Wings.” Dustin continued to play several more of his compositions, including “treason,” “Yesterday” and, finishing the performance, “Black Widow.”

Just as Dustin was wrapping up his show, Rich Piccerillo arrived, and within a few minutes was onstage and playing Dustin’s guitar. Dustin, Claudio and yours truly were treated to Rich putting Dustin’s guitar through a loose Led Zeppelin songbook workout – cool!

With that, Claudio closed up shop and we all headed our respective merry ways. Considering I didn’t even expect entertainment to be still going on when I first pulled into the parking lot, this turned into a memorable evening; and I’m sure Dustin appreciated the arrival of an audience of one in the late going as well.

Performing to an audience of one, Dustin Burley.

ROCK AND RYE @ THE BELMAR HOTEL, ALTOONA 12/22/05

It had been a little while since I last saw Rock & Rye in action, and planned to catch their pre-Christmas performance at the Belmar Hotel. Unfortunately, workplace duties ran me later than I expected, so I was only able to witness the last 30-40 minutes of Rock & Rye’s performance. Greg “Rock” Burley and Ryan “Rye” Clark were in the midst of entertaining a happy Belmar audience with their “acoustic intoxication” mix of current and classic rock favorites, with a few surprises thrown in.

After I entered, Rock & Rye was performing Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You see,” and continued with favorites from Lifehouse and Seven Mary Three. Greg and Ryan then did their take on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad Of Curtis Loew,” performing their own unique variation of the song in a different key and flavor. They then segued this tune directly into Bad Company’s “Shooting Star” in a clever fusing of the two. Rock & Rye then broke out the heavy artillery, kicking into the “Sponge Bob Square Pants” theme – which served as the launching pad for the duo’s rendition of Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night.” Rock & Rye then finished the night with a little comedy, performing Rodney Carrington’s “Letter to My Penis.”

Rock & Rye’s presentation was warm, jovial and friendly. They blended well on their respective guitars, and I liked their variations on several of the numbers as viable departures from the originals. The Belmar audience enjoyed it, and the performance was sprinkled with occasional friendly banter between the musicians and crowd.

Although I wish I could have arrived earlier to enjoy more of it, I was quite satisfied and entertained by the portion of Rock & Rye’s show I was able to witness. It was a quality dose of “acoustic intoxication!”

Greg Burley and Ryan Clark; a.k.a. Rock & Rye.

HEXHED @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/22/05

There was a special pre-Christmas Thursday show happening at City Limits this night, and after Rock & Rye’s Belmar show wrapped up, I decided to head there to have a look.

I arrived too late to see openers Opposition, but got to witness a good portion of Hexhed’s show. City Limits wasn’t especially crowded, but Hexhed still put forth an enthusiastic effort regardless, piledriving their hard-hitting mixture of current and 80’s rock. I got involved in B-S’ing with City Limits main man Claudio and several other patrons this night, and didn’t get to pay close attention to Hexhed until the latter part of their final set, when they did their sharp and strong Tool medley and Taproot’s “Poem” to close the set. Phil Wagner of Opposition stepped on stage to contribute some additional voice late in the show.

From what I saw, Hexhed gave a rigid, heated performance; letting fly on all cylinders and holding nothing back. This was not lost on the small City Limits audience, as a number of folks were in front of the stage and getting crazy to the music.

It served as a good hard-rocking end to the evening, and Hexhed made it worth my stopping in to see.

Hexhed, rocking the fans at City Limits.

Steve Danfelt and Greg Hatch of Hexhed.

Again, Hexhed.

Once again, Hexhed.

Rob “RobtheDrummer” Bonsell of Hexhed.

Again, Steve Danfelt and Greg Hatch of Hexhed.

Steve Danfelt of Hexhed.

Once again, Steve and Greg of Hexhed.

Once again, Rob Bonsell of Hexhed.

Chris Silva of Hexhed.

With Phil Wagner of Opposition helping out on vocals, Hexhed.

Some Opposition was encountered in the house this night.

Paul Rainey of Bad Daze was also in the audience this night.

Obviously having a good time this night, yours truly.

STEVE SUMMERHILL/FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 12/23/05

It was Christmas Eve eve, and the last full night of live music activity before the world began to slow down a little bit for the Christmas holiday. I was up for some classic rock’n’roll and blues, so I headed to Burgi’s Roundhouse for the dinner hour/evening double-bill featuring Steve Summerhill and Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

I arrived midway through Steve Summerhill’s performance, procured a booth strategically in good position to view the main stage, and ordered up some food. Meanwhile, Steve was performing a rapid fire variety of favorites to the dining Burgi’s audience, occasionally strolling from his central performance area to serenade tables and sections of the Burgi’s dining area. With a smile on his face all the while, Steve kept the diners entertained for the duration of his two sets with tunes from Tommy Tutone, Cat Stevens, Van Morrison, Bob Seger, Wild Cherry, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Bryan Adams, Beatles, Bad Company and The Who. Steve’s mood was pleasant, his voice in good form, and his energy level and enthusiasm constant.

Bringing his party to Burgi’s dinner crowd, Steve Summerhill.

Shortly after Steve Summerhill concluded his performance, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys stepped onto Burgi’s mainstage to begin theirs. E. Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly on guitar and vocals, Randy “Dawg” Ketner on bass (sporting a pair of reindeer antlers, one of them limp) and Jeff Van Clief on drums opened with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride And Joy,” and proceeded with a robust mixture of blues and blues rock remakes and original songs. After their version of Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason” and TRhe Band’s “Shape I’m In,” the Wiseguys performed one of their own, “Lucky Charm,” followed by Delbert McClinton’s “Every Time I Roll the Dice” and another original song, “Barroom Floor.” The trio then performed B.B. King’s “The Thrill Is Gone” and broke out some holiday sounds via Elvis’ “Santa Claus Is Back In Town,” setting the stage for a special Santa Claus moment.

As Rockpage readers may know, I had one of my cameras stolen from my car in November. Leading up to this night, a number of Rockpage member bands and musicians took up collections at shows to purchase me a new magical picture box. At this point of the evening, Dave and Marina Moses – “The Mosai” – and Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys called me up to the stage, and presented me with a special Christmas ift – a Konica-Minolta DiMage digital camera. Once again, many thanks to Dave, Marina, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys, and all of the area music community for this special gift, which definitely was the highlight of my Christmas this year!

As I started opening up and exploring my new toy, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys closed out their first set with the ZZ Top triple shot of “Balinese,” “La Grange” and “Tush,” inspiring the night’s first dance action along the way.

I spent the intermission “assembling” my new toy, much like Ralphie with his Red Ryder BB gun in the movie A Christmas Story. Like Ralphie, my objective was to do some shooting of my own with my new acquisition, only I wouldn’t be in much danger of putting my eye out. And with any luck, I would be ready to start shooting some Wiseguys during their next set…

Vin, Randy and Jeff soon started into their second set, commencing with George Thorogood/Hank Sr.’s “Move It On Over.” Randy then fronted the trio on the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women,” before the trio dug into their back archive for “Picked The Wrong Day;” the first I’ve heard the Wiseguys do this one in a long time. More Thorogood then ensued with “Bad to the Bone” and “Move It On Over,” the latter showcasing a Jeff Van Clief drum solo display. The group then covered an artist not oft covered on area stages, Tom Waits, performing his song “Make It Rain.” > there, another B.B. King number, followed by another early original, “Not Enough Blood,” the Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See” and a newer original from their Tight Play CD, “My Girl or My Guitar.” After Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Cold Shot,” the Wiseguys closed the second set with another Christmas tune, their take on “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town.”

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys were sounding sharp thus far; the Christmas holiday weekend obviously adding some spark and inspiration to their performance this night. All three musicians were in jolly spirits this night, and the vibe was infectious, with the Burgi’s audience cheering, sometimes dancing, and enjoying the evening. All three players were on their game on their respective instruments; Vin’s slidework was sounding great.

By this point, I was figuring out how the new camera worked, and would start putting my new photographic instrument of destruction to work during the Wiseguys’ upcoming third set.

The Wiseguys resumed action with Robert Cray’s “Nothin’ But A Woman,” and continued with their take on Tom Waits’ “Jockey Full of Bourbon.” The momentum again picked up with Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up” and the Man In Black’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” where Vin again displayed hot slide action on the guitar. “Sweet Home Alabama” brought several of Burgi’s ladies on top of the bar to dance, and they stayed atop the bar as the group stretched the song into a medley with Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves Of London” and Spin Doctors’ “Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong.” The Wiseguys then set out to make the raisins in the house dance with Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine.”

At this point, satisfied that Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys had the party well in hand; I decided to depart Burgi’s, as another band was performing their swan song show this night, and I wanted to catch at least part of the send-off…

Putting in a cameo appearance behind the Wiseguy drum kit, Rob Bonsell.

Randy “Dawg” Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

My very first official photograph taken with the new camera, of Santa Vinny in action.

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Again, E. Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Bearing a droopy antler this night, Randy “Dawg” Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Once again, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Again, Randy Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Once again, Fat Vinny.

Jeff Van Clief of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Checking out my new toy, yours truly.

In the show’s latter stages, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys had ‘em dancing atop the bar at Burgi’s.

One more time, Fat Vinny.

Fat Vinny and Randy from Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

One more time, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

SIDESTEP @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/23/05

From Burgi’s, I headed to the Hitching Post to catch the last set of Sidestep’s swan song performance. I arrived just before the group started their last set, and a happy mid-sized crowd was assembled to witness Sidestep on their final go-round.

Soon, singer/guitarist John Stevens, guitarist Greg “G-Funk” Larrimore, bassist Tim Kelly and drummer Steve Brulia returned to the stage and resumed the tunes with the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle.” The group stepped up the party with Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” and Violent Femmes’ “Blister In The Sun,” before letting G-Funk showcase his fretboard histrionics on Norman Greenbaum’s “Spirit In The Sky.” Along the way, a contingent of new folks arrived at the Hitching Post, possibly from a Christmas party elsewhere; and they were in a festive mood, adding to the happy vibes in the house as Sidestep played out their last set. The group continued the music with Free’s “All Right Now,” before Steve growled out the lead on George Thorogood’s “I Drink Alone.” The party escalated into the homestretch, as Sidestep officially slammed the lid on their story with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” with G-Funk again living up to his nickname with some thick, spicy and funky guitarwork.

Thus closed the book on Sidestep. The group sounded good in their last go-round, instrumentally on the money with all four components complementing each other and blending into a full-bodied, feisty sound. The atmosphere was casual and upbeat, and although there were no disrobing ladies onstage with Sidestep this night, it was still a fun time.

The four members of Sidestep left the door open to reunion performances down the road. But for now, Tim and John continue down the country path in .00 Buck, and “G-Funk” returns to working in the front office with the Hair Force One organization. It was a good run for Sidestep during their relatively brief period on area stages, and a fun run as well.

John Stevens of Sidestep.

Tim Kelly of Sidestep.

Steve Brulia of Sidestep.

Greg “G-Funk” Larrimore of Sidestep.

Putting the wraps on their career on area stages, Sidestep.

Again, John Stevens of Sidestep.

Again, Greg Larrimore of Sidestep.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/25/05

After a relaxing and tranquil Christmas Eve and Christmas Day spent with family and friends, I headed to the Hitching Post to cap the day with some yuletide Hurricaning. Like the previous Sunday, the Post was jam-packed again with Christmas revelers, ‘Caniacs, Hurricanes and other musical guests.

Onstage, with Barney Sledge on harp, the Hurricanes started their second set with the Outlaws’ “There Goes Another Love Song.” The group continued with the Beatles’ “Something,” highlighted by Barney’s incredible harmonica solo! The party continued with the Jeff Clapper-fronted ‘Canes original “Black Widow,” followed by tunes from Marshall Tucker Band, Eddie Rabbitt and Stevie Ray Vaughan. After the group did two more of their own tunes, “The Feeling” and “The Lonely One,” Barney fronted the Hurricanes on “Mustang Sally,” dazzling the house with his soulful growl before he and Hurricane Felix delivered stunning harp and guitar fireworks! The Hurricanes then finished the set with “Texas Flood.”

The Hurricanes nightcap set saw more guests participating in the festivities. After starting off with Bryan Adams’ “Summer Of ’69,” the Hurricanes lit up the house with tunes from ZZ Top and Johnny Cash, before guest and former ‘Canes drummer John McKnight – still in town for the holiday – stepped up and sang lead on the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out.” John and Felix shared lead vocals and harmonized on the Allmans’ “Revival,” with Loren Johnson chiming in on backing vocals. The party continued with another Allman Brothers number, “No One to Run With,” which featured a three-way percussion jam between Felix, John and Bob Watters. John then did a drum solo, before the musicians finished out the night with a smoking rendition of “All Along the Watchtower.”

Inspired by the large holiday crowd and the happy vibes in the house, the Hurricanes and their guests demonstrated smoking musicianship and abundant enthusiasm during the entire course of the evening. Electricity was in the air, and everybody was feeling it in their respective performances this night. This was the excellent close to Christmas Day 2005, and made me glad to venture out to experience it.

Lead Hurricane Felix Kos and harmonica man Barney Sledge.

Jeff Clapper and John McKnight.

Again, Felix and Barney.

Hurricane Felix.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Demonstrating some soulful voice, John McKnight.

Loren Johnson and Hurricane Felix.

Bob and John, double-teaming on the drums.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: