· The Final Cut
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND RECAP 5/30/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jun 03, 2006 

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND RECAP 5/30/06

ISSUES @ BAR 53, COALPORT 5/24/06

When my day and night jobs collided this night, the result was an opportunity to see Issues in action.

The occasion was a Q94 live Harley broadcast at Bar 53 in Coalport. Initially, only a deejay service, Crazy In The Night, was advertised to be providing entertainment that evening. Thus, I figured it would be an early night, where I would do the remote and then depart afterward.

But when I arrived, I was greeted by Issues bassist Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky, who informed me that the band would be playing for two hours in addition to the deejay. Cool!

The remote was an absolute blast, as Coalport Nation came out in full force and partied down! Crazy In The Night provided tunes and entertainment during the bulk of our remote broadcast, as Issues set up to perform afterward.

A good-sized contingent was still in the house when Issues got started at around 8:30. Zorbo on bass, John McKelvey on guitar and vocals, Skip Fisher on drums and Clorise Ellis on lead vocals performed two sets of original rock and roll, bringing forth a multitude of flavors as they went along. No two of the group’s songs were the same; all were different. Songs Issues performed during their first set included “He Loves Me Not,” the John-fronted “Klepto,” “The Frontlines of Love,” the slower “Xotica,” the locally-inspired “Firetower Road” and more. Issues also did a harder-edged update of a song John first did with his most famous former band, The Front; “Still the Rain,” which brought dancers onto the Bar 53 floor.

It was almost surreal watching this unfold – here was a band doing all their own original songs, in a small bar in small town Coalport, and sustaining a good-sized crowd, with folks cheering and even dancing. Issues’ style varied between straight-ahead guitar-driven rock’n’roll and more modern-ish, even new-wave-ish overtones. Clorise’s voice was rangeful and in good form, and John’s guitarwork was strong as always; both backed by the solid rhythm section of Zorbo and Skip.

Issues’ second set also featured a multi-flavored selection of original songs; including “On and On,” the slower and powerful “Only In Your Soul,” the Scandal-flavored “Back Atcha,” “Who Am I,” “You Call,” the title track to the group’s forthcoming CD, Pictures (Thinking In), “Creatures of the Night,” their showstopper “Run from the Shadows” and “Neverland.” Again, Issues succeeded in getting some audience members and couples on the floor to dance to their original sounds.

So what began with the prospect of just being a routine Harley qualifier remote turned into a fun and memorable evening capped with original live music. I ended up hearing a good cross-sectional selection of Issues’ song arsenal, as well as a preview of many of the songs that will appear on the group’s forthcoming debut CD. Another fun Wednesday night!

After the remote ended, Issues provided the tunes at Bar 53.

Once again, Issues.

Clorise Ellis of Issues.

John McKelvey of Issues.

Again, Clorise Ellis of Issues.

Bob "Zorbo" Slovikosky of Issues.

Again, John McKelvey of Issues.

During the remote…What's a little smooch among Q94 Calendar Girls?

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 5/24/06

Issues’ Bar 53 performance ended around 10:30 PM, and I headed back down the mountain to Altoona. My ultimate destination would be Pellegrine’s for my weekly Wednesday pizza fix, but since I had to obtain City Limits’ schedule for their June Pennsylvania Musician ad, I stopped by there en route, and caught some of Dustin Burley’s weekly Wednesday night performance in the process.

It wasn’t a busy night at City Limits, but Dustin had at least a few onlookers watching as he played a variety of selections. Although I wasn’t paying close attention, I did hear Dustin playing versions of Stone Temple Pilots’ “Interstate Love Song,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Loew,” Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” and more. Although a pretty diverse range of song material, Dustin managed to own it and make it all his own with his unique style and delivery.

After completing my Pennsylvania Musician business with Claudio, I yielded to my pizza jones and headed to Pellegrine’s. But this reaffirmed that Dustin Burley still does what he does, and does it well.

TONY MOLLICK PROJECT @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 5/26/06

With all the traveling I had been doing the previous few weeks, I decided to stick closer to home this Memorial Day holiday weekend. It happened to be a busy night for blues and blues rock in ‘Toona town this night. Felix & the Hurricanes were at Burgi’s, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys were at Victory Lane Saloon, and Pittsburgh’s Tony Mollick Project – TMP – was at City Limits. I decided to check in with the Pittsburgh entry this night.

TMP was making their first appearance at City Limits, and not surprisingly, attendance was relatively light as I arrived and joined Rockpagers Big Jim and ToonaRockGuy at a table near the back of the room. Tony was leading bandmates Fuzz McGirk and David Blake on a hearty workout of the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post,” before continuing with the chestnut “Route 66” and the laid-back original song “Rusty Angel.” Tony then explained that he was recovering from a bout with strep throat, and deferred lead vocal duties to a special guest, Fred Smith. The former singer for MiGauss and currently fronting Loyalhanna Southern, Fred growled out the lead voice on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Saturday Night Special,” and proceeded to front the group for the remainder of the night. Fred and Tmp continued this set with ZZ Top’s “Cheap Sunglasses,” the original tune “That’s All Right,” Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Couldn’t Stand the Weather” and the Allman Brothers’ “Southbound” to close the set, the latter two tunes featuring particularly scorching guitar fireworks from Tony.

TMP started their second set with an interesting curve, commencing with Tower Of Power’s “What Is Hip?,” and morphing it into ZZ Top’s “Just Got Paid” and their own rip-roaring original tune “Likely Story.” Fuzzy was demonstrating some interesting bass string slide technique on this number. TMP continued the classics with Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” Santana’s “Black Magic Woman,” AC/DC’s “Beating Around the Bush,” Judas Priest’s “Breakin’ the Law” and Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road.” Tony then introduced the Chuck Berry-rooted original tune “Little Stingray,” before ending their second set with two surprises – a blazing rendition of Def Leppard’s “Wasted,” followed by the evening’s first current rock number, Velvet Revolver’s “Slither.”

The crowd remained sparse during TMP’s first two sets, and I wasn’t at all sure that there would be a third set. But determined to win the struggle to get some Altoona bodies on the City Limits dance floor, TMP returned for an abbreviated third round. This short set took a predominantly Southern slant with renditions of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “I Know A Little,” Gov’t Mule/Allman Brothers’ “Rocking Horse” and ZZ Top’s “Arrested for Driving While Blind,” before the group ended the night with a tune from deep in the back of the rack, Cactus’ “Brother Bill.”

Again I was impressed with TMP. Tony was again stellar on the frets, his guitarwork showing fire, soul and precision. Fuzz on bass and David on drums have tightened with Tony into a formidable power trio, with all three players working off one another; blending, filling gaps, exploring, and keeping it interesting throughout. I also liked the song selection, a mix of familiar and obscure; all of it delivered with ample kick and swagger. It was too bad more people weren’t on hand to witness TMP’s display this night, but such is the case with Friday nights in Altoona these days.

Tony expressed after the show that he is determined to build a fan base in this town, and more TMP visitations into this neck of the woods are imminent. I again recommend giving the Tony Mollick Project your time and attention the next times they roll into town; you will not be disappointed!

Making their City Limits debut, the Tony Mollick Project, with special guest Fred Smith on vocals.

The man and namesake himself, Tony Mollick.

Again, Tony Mollick.

Providing lead vocals for TMP most of this night, Fred Smith.

Fuzz McGirk of TMP.

David Blake of TMP.

Fuzz, Fred and Tony of TMP.

Once again, Tony Mollick.

From a different angle, the Tony Mollick Project.

Once again, TMP.

Again, Fuzz McGirk of the Tony Mollick Project.

David Blake of TMP.

A GRIMM MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND PICNIC @ TONKIN ESTATES, LILLY 5/27/06

No Memorial Day weekend is complete without a picnic, and I started out my Saturday evening by attending the picnic hosted by “Grimmbass” Kent Tonkin at the Tonkin Estates in suburban Lilly.

The theme of the picnic was “biker night,” and all attendees were encouraged to wear some form of biker attire. This made for an interesting sight in this suburban Lilly neighborhood, with a plethora of biker-looking individuals cavorting in Kent’s backyard, but only one two-wheeled machine parked out front!

The food spread was divine, with angus burgers, and eventually hot dogs and smoked sausage on the grill, potato and mac salads, chips, dips (the spicy sausage nacho dip ruled!), and other delectable foodstuffs in abundance. Beer and other drinkables, too.

It was a friendly evening of food and conversation, and some Grimm chicanery to boot. But as has been established before, WHAT HAPPENS AT THE GRIMM PICNIC…REMAINS AT THE GRIMM PICNIC!

As the midnight hour arrived, I knew I had to exit this picnic to catch a live band somewhere, lest my car turn into a pumpkin or something like that…

HAIR FORCE ONE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 5/27/06

After my fill of grub and cheer at the Grimm Memorial Day Picnic, I descended the mount back to Altoona to catch up with Hair Force One at City Limits.

My journalistic mission this night was to witness Hair Force One’s newest addition in action, drummer A.C. Lixx. I arrived during intermission before the third set, and was promptly introduced to A.C. by guitar/keyboard man Phillip DaPussee. A.C. seemed happy to be on board in this new band situation, and I looked forward to seeing what he brought behind the Hair Force One drum kit. Singer Victor Synn then alerted me that a few surprises were in store during this upcoming set. More 80’s decadence was in the forecast.

Although a busy night, the crowd wasn’t as huge as is customary for a Hair Force One Saturday night; apparently the holiday weekend and its various diversions were cutting into attendance this night. Still, it was easily enough of a crowd to make it a party!

Warrant’s “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” launched the nightcap set, and dancers quickly flocked onto City Limits’ dance floor. New man A.C. was packing the beats and flailing like a wildman behind the kit as Hair Force One tore through renditions of Motley Crue’s “Looks That Kill,” Twisted Sister’s “I Wanna Rock” and Faster Pussycat’s “Bathroom Wall.” The group then broke out a slower number (which I forgot to write down), which drew grinding couples onto the dance floor; I was pulled into the gravitational field of several Hair Force One “Hair Bears” for a mob slow dance. After this, the chicanery became hot and heavy. Tonight was A.C.’s initiation night. With Victor Synn spotting him behind the drum kit, A.C. was brought to the front of the stage, where each of the “Hair Bears” would administer an initiating lash with the strap as the rest of Hair Force One played the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party)” with Haywood Jablome barking out lead. No blood was shed during this initiation, and A.C. was able to sit down behind the kit afterward. After AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long,” the other surprise of the night occurred, when Hair Force One broke out a W.A.S.P. number, “Wild Child.” Victor Synn, already sporting black hair this night, became Blackie Lawless, and brandished a chunk of raw meat in his grill, wagging his head and spraying the stagefront crowd with blood and entrails…well, sort of. It was probably as close to a Gwar concert as Altoona was ever going to see! The party then entered its homestretch with Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” and Skid Row’s “Youth Gone Wild” to close the night.

What I got to witness of Hair Force One’s latest 80’s decadence was a good time, with the initiation of their new drummer and Victor revealing his new carnivorous edge serving as highlights. The night showed that Hair Force One is comfortably rocking on with their new drummer, and keeping their 80’s debauchery fresh with new tunes and antics. A good night.

Hair Force One, partying down at City Limits.

Phillip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

The new guy behind the kit, A.C. Lixx of Hair Force One.

Again, Hair Force One.

One of the “Hair Bears” helps initiate new drummer A.C. Lixx.

Phillip DaPussee and Haywood Jablome of Hair Force One.

A.C. Lixx pleads for mercy as the “Hair Bears” continue his initiation.

Victor Synn, behind the drum kit.

Returning to the drum kit, A.C. Lixx of Hair Force One.

Once again, A.C. Lixx of Hair Force One.

Again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One continues to bring the party.

Once again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn looks on as Jimi Hatt cranks out a guitar solo.

Jimi Hatt of Hair Force One.

Once again, Hair Force One.

Victor “Blackie” Synn breaks out the meat.

Victor Synn, carnivore.

One more time, Hair Force One.

KYX @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 5/28/06

With the “Backyard Rocker” “memorexed” this night, I headed to Burgi’s Roundhouse to check out Kyx in action.

Burgi’s was busy as I arrived, but I was able to procure a small table with a decent view of the stage and dance floor. Kyx was under way and entertaining some dancers with their mostly classic rock-geared mix. Singer/rhythm guitarist Bill Moyer, lead guitarist/singer Bill Ferrell, bassist/singer Glenn Walstrom, lead guitarist/singer Jim Walstrom, keyboardist/singer Terry Wills and drummer Chris Sherkel had the dance floor party going with Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself,” followed by Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “What’s Your Name,” before slowing it down for Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.” The party again kicked back up with Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” with Bill Moyer and Terry doing the dual lead vocals. The dance floor remained busy through renditions of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” and “Wild Night,” sandwiching Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” in between. Glenn then sang lead on Santana’s “Smooth,” with Bill Ferrell uncorking a smoking guitar solo in midsong. After versions of Skynyrd’s “Call Me the Breeze” and Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny,” one of the highlights of the show for me, as Kyx broke out a dazzling rendition of Bruce Springsteen’s “Rosalita” – this was likely the first time I had ever seen a band attempt this song on a local stage! With Bill Ferrell singing lead, Kyx did a remarkable job on this one, keeping it tight and sparkling throughout. (And I joked with Bill later on that Kyx might as well do this song, as Springsteen himself refuses to perform it in concert any more!) Kyx then concluded the set with the Eagles’ “Take It Easy.”

Kyx’s performance was strong so far. Bill Moyer handled the lion’s share of lead vocals thus far, with Bill Ferrell, Glenn and Terry each singing a few numbers; all were competent singers. Instrumentally, Kyx were tight and together, and provided a full-bodied, bold rocking presentation. The group’s song selection was also good, as they mixed several favorites with at least a few tunes not often covered on area stages. The Burgi’s crowd was clearly enjoying it thus far, and were eager for the party to continue.

Soon it did. Kyx kycked off their nightcap set with an original number, the Bill Ferrell-penned “Biker’s Prayer.” I had heard an acoustic version of this tune that Bill had recorded recently; it was interesting to hear the song fully fleshed out by the full band. The party then resumed in earnest with Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl,” which instantly refilled the dance floor. Next was the ZZ Top double-shot of “Gimme All Your Lovin’” into “Sharp Dressed Man,” and a singalong rendition of Robert Palmer’s “Bad Case of Loving You.” The group broke out Bon Jovi’s “You Can’t Go Home,” before returning to ZZ Top for “La Grange,” REO Speedwagon’s “Ridin’ the Storm Out” and 3 Doors Down’s “Kryptonite.” Bill Ferrell demonstrated some guitar talkbox skills on Aerosmith’s “Sweet Emotion,” followed by Kyx renditions of Bob Seger’s “Roll Me Away” and the Goo Goo Dolls’ “Slide.” The party shifted into Jimmy Buffett mode for “Margaritaville,” followed by one of Kyx’s original songs, and the dance floor-filling rendition of Golden Earring’s “Twilight Zone” to end the night. After audience calls for an encore, Terry returned to his keyboard to finish out the night with a solo ballad dedicated to his wife.

Kyx offered up a good, solid show. Their varied instrumental abilities and singing voices enabled the group to mix things up with different styles, arrangements and voices, which kept things interesting throughout. These guys are all solid players, and blended well onstage. Kyx’s presentation was friendly and upbeat, and the group kept the show moving so folks had few reasons to want to sit back down. It was a good performance, and offered clear evidence as to why this band packs venues everywhere they go.

Kyx, rocking and rolling at Burgi’s.

Glenn Walstrom of Kyx.

Once again, Kyx.

Chris Sherkel of Kyx.

Bill Ferrell of Kyx.

Bill Ferrell and Glenn Walstrom of Kyx.

Kyx, helping Burgi’s usher in Memorial Day.

Terry Wills of Kyx.

Jim Walstrom of Kyx.

These two ladies proudly display their new acquisition, a Kyx T-shirt.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 5/28/06

After Kyx’s show wound down, I had enough time to catch the last hour of Felix & the Hurricanes’ Memorial Day eve party at The Hitching Post.

It was a near full house Hitching Post crowd, and a lively party going as the Hurricanes tore it up onstage. Felix, Bob and Jeff were mixing it up between southern-fried rock, blues, classics and original tunes. You could tell these guys were feeling it as they jubilantly fired off renditions of the Allman Brothers’ “No One to Run With” and “Firing Line,” Robert Parker’s “Barefootin,’” Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ with Disaster,” Ted Nugent’s “Free For All,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Loew,” their own storming instrumental original “Wild Turkey,” and more. Felix & the Hurricanes are one band that, when people yell out requests for “Free Bird,” actually do it – and they closed out their set with the Skynyrd classic, with all three musicians breaking a serious intensity and sweat down the tune’s homestretch. The Hurricanes are one of few groups that can make “Free Bird” sound rejuvenated and fresh!

After this blazing display, the Post wanted an encore, and within moments got rewarded with a rendition of the Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See” to end the night.

As expected, it was a hootin,’ hollerin,’ smoking Hurricanes good time party at the Hitching Post, just the right finale to launch the audience into Memorial Day.

Bob Watters and Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Felix Kos and Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Felix & the Hurricanes.

Hurricane Felix.

A VISIT TO THE FLIGHT 93 MEMORIAL 5/29/06

It was Memorial Day, and cohort “Big Jim” came up with the idea of doing a roadtrip to check out the Flight 93 Memorial near Shanksville. It was an appropriate thing to do on this day, and Big Jim, Sparky D’Engineer and yours truly made the journey.

I had visited the Flight 93 Memorial site once before, on a cold, windy and rainy autumn day 2-3 years ago. I was interested to see what had been changed or added to the site since that visit.

A few things had changed. A small wooden shed-like structure now stood nearby the memorial fence, where visitors could enter and look at photos, maps and other information pertaining to Flight 93. As we glanced at these items, a local volunteer – who himself saw the jet go down – described his own experience and gave details about the memorial and future plans for it.

We looked along the fence, observing the many mementos and items dedicated in memory of the victims and heroes of Flight 93. A sign indicated that some of the more fragile items had been taken and stored in a safe place, to be later returned and displayed again once a more secure and permanent structure was completed. Some of the more sturdy mementos I saw during my earlier visit remained in place along the fence.

As I took in all the sights along the fence, and looked at the photos and down over the hill towards the tree line where Flight 93 met its end, I reflected back to September 11, 2001; remembering how I witnessed that day unfold on the television and at my workplace as we tried to inform listeners as to what had transpired. I remembered the eerie feeling as I realized how close to home that this drama in the sky was playing out. But most of all, I thought about these individuals aboard Flight 93, and how what started as an ordinary day in the sky turned into terror, acts of heroism, tragedy, and history. It was sobering.

We remained at the memorial for the better part of an hour, taking in the sights. It was busy here this day; we figured that Memorial Day and the event’s anniversary on September 11 were probably the two busiest days this memorial saw each year. I plan to return here again at some point down the road, to see how the permanent memorial site develops, and to see the dedications and mementos as people from across the country remember this part of the September 11 story.

A cross set up at the Flight 93 Memorial site.

Handcrafted angels, representing the victims of Flight 93, overlook the hillside where the jet went down.

Just to the left of the American flag and back near the tree line was where Flight 93 met its tragic end.

The memorial fence, where mementos and dedications to Flight 93 and its victims are displayed.

Along the rear of the fence, more items are displayed.

A small stone American flag monument pays homage to Flight 93.

Once again, the memorial fence.

Next to the memorial fence is this monument dedicated to Flight 93.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: