· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/5/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jun 10, 2006 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/5/06

Here in JP’s Corner, we cover it all – bluegrass, blues, metal, funk, Americana, rock – we’re your one-stop shop for local music variety!

MOUNTAIN CITY GRASS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 5/31/06

With the Hitching Post’s Wednesday “Country Night” now established, the venue was stretching out into the world of bluegrass music this evening, courtesy of Mt. City Grass.

I arrived during the group’s final set of the evening. Mt. City Grass – Denny Cerully on vocals and guitar, Patty Schinkle on bass (platooning with Katie Cerully, who would take over upright bass duties later in the set), Dean Berkheimer on banjo, Ed Decker on vocals and guitar, Ron Schinkle on mandolin, Lindsey Lefort on fiddle, and guest John Stevens on dobro – performed a selection of bluegrass favorites and standards. Admittedly a bluegrass novice myself, I wasn’t too familiar with most of the material Mt. City Grass performed; some titles I could identify (or the group announced) included Bill Monroe’s “Will You Be Loving Another Man,” “Pick Me Up On Your Way Down” (done by Buck Owens, Patsy Cline and others), and “Orange Blossom Special.”

The group's presentation was cordial, and the group frequently allowed each member to showcase his or her skills in the solo spotlight. All these guys and gals were capable players who knew their instruments well. The group would go round-robin, allowing each member to step forward and solo for a stanza or two.

The moderate-sized Hitching Post crowd seemed to appreciate this variation on their usual Wednesday night country theme, and applause was polite and consistent. It was a good debut for Mt. City Grass in this situation, and bode well for the future of at least a little bluegrass on the Altoona area evening live music scene.

Bluegrass was on the musical menu at the Hitching Post this night, as Mt. City Grass entertained.

Again, Mt. City Grass.

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 6/1/06

Groove has returned to Altoona.

This Thursday night brought me to Al's Tavern, to get my first look at Grade E. It also gave me an opportunity to sample more of Al's much-ballyhooed wings. More on those later.

For those not familiar with Grade E; while the band name is new, the musicians comprising it are not. In fact, you only need turn the page back a few years to popular Altoona jam/funk/rocksters Neogumbo, which all three players – singer/guitarist Chris Vipond, bassist Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger – logged time in.

As Grade E's second set unfolded, it quickly became obvious that like Neogumbo before them, Grade E's emphasis was grooves. Nonstop, funk-based, slap-happy grooves. The group punctuated their grooves with an unpredictable mixture of original songs and favorites. This particular Grade E groovefest worked in such numbers as The Drifters/George Benson's "On Broadway," the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil," the Black Crowes' "Hard to Handle," Stealers Wheel's "Stuck In The Middle with You," EMF's "Unbelievable," the Beastie Boys' "No Sleep Til Brooklyn," Phish's "Down with Disease" and more; along with original numbers such as "End" and "Pink Parking Ticket."

Grade E kept the mood casual, lighthearted, relaxed and fun; maintaining a steady and friendly rapport with the good-sized Al's crowd. Todd's modern percussion array was able to run at a low enough volume to still be heard but not overpower Al's small-ish environs, so fans could still carry on conversations as the group performed.

Al's wings were in good form, the medium hot garlic wings were tasty, abundantly coated in garlic - I would likely have dragon breath for the next week, but the taste sensation was worth it!

Grade E's funk-informed grooves were a good time, and also brought a some funk-informed old-school Neogumbo-styled jams back to life on Altoona stages. A good thing indeed, and a welcome return.

It was Grade E entertainment at Al’s Tavern this night.

Chris Vipond of Grade E.

Todd Harshbarger of Grade E.

Mike Stanley of Grade E.

MALICIOUS DISORDER/NINETAIL/FEDUP @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 6/2/06

Up for some metal this night, I headed to Aldo’s to catch the heavy-hitting triple bill of Malicious Disorder, Ninetail and FedUp. I was especially curious to check out Malicious Disorder, as I have this group’s CD under their former name, Malice 420.

I arrived midway through Malicious Disorder's set, but what I did get to witness - eight songs in all - kicked ass! Frontman Chad Brown, guitarist Robert Pane, bassist Brad Michael and drummer Dan Schafer let it rip with scathing metal aggression. They did a number of original assaults, such as "The Opportunist," "Fallen," "Commission Based Coroner" and more; they also broke out a punishing read of Pantera's "F**king Hostile." Chad was a feral howler who sold his lyrics with bristling intensity. I was especially impressed with guitarist Robert; his solos were fiery, clean and precise! I was very impressed with my first look at Malicious Disorder; if this band gets back up Aldo's way, it won't be my last look!

Malicious Disorder makes their Altoona debut at Aldo’s.

Once again, Malicious Disorder.

Chad Brown of Malicious Disorder.

Robert Pane of Malicious Disorder.

Brad Michael of Malicious Disorder.

Again, Robert Pane of Malicious Disorder.

One more time, Robert Pane of Malicious Disorder, going to town on his frets.

The crowd continued to file in, and a good-sized contingent of metal faithful populated Aldo's by the time the next band, Ninetail, hit the stage. The last time I wrote about this band…well, actually I didn't. Something to do with a charity concert event late last summer. Since then, the group has apologized to me, and told me they scratched and sent a check to the charity in question. They owned their mistake, I accept. Stuff happens; life goes on.

Like Malicious Disorder before them, Ninetail also unleashed a scathing brand of brute force metal. With Jerad Gohn providing terse tones on the keys, Ninetail's sound is more cyber and industrial geared, but lethally forceful and intense. The group – these days frontman J. William Heitmann, lead guitarist Don Belch, rhythm guitarist Chris Evan, Jerad on keys, new bassist Griff (not to be confused with Griff from Homer's Army, this is a different one) and drummer Max Melton – did a number of original songs, including some from their recently issued new CD, The Process of Conversion. Tunes included "Retribution Song," "Constrict," "Forgive Me," "Unlovely," "Ruination Theory," "United Hate of America" and more. Ninetail's presentation was intense and razor sharp; tightly played and balanced. I was especially impressed with how Jerad's ominous key arrangements set up the songs, enhancing the eventual impact when the full band kicked in with their brute-force delivery. The Aldo's crowd clearly was into what Ninetail offered this night, and the group very likely expanded their Altoona fan base with this performance. Bottom line, Ninetail brought the goods!

Ninetail, bringing their maelstrom to Aldo’s stage.

J. William Heitmann of Ninetail.

Again, J. William Heitmann of Ninetail.

Chris Evan and Don Belch of Ninetail.

Max Melton of Ninetail.

Don Belch and Jerad Gohn of Ninetail.

Jerad Gohn of Ninetail.

Once again, J. William Heitmann of Ninetail.

The third band on the bill this night was FedUp. The equipment gremlins plagued their performance the first time I saw them at City Limits several weeks before; hopefully this night would go better. It did. Although they didn’t get to play all that long, FedUp sounded sharper and more focused this night, and the equipment cooperated with them. Frontman Brian Stotler, guitarist Dave Charlton, bassist Don Singer and drummer Matt Popp showcased original assaults such as “Out Of My Way,” “How Many Times,” “Lay Me Down to Die,” “Useless” and “Jihad.” FedUp’s brand of raw, punk-infused metal was tighter-sounding and more confident, with Brian’s voice showing greater emotion and intensity. FedUp tempered their brash brand of heavy rock with a sense of humor, with Brian at one point telling the Aldo’s audience, “We’re heavier than the two bands that played before us…if you put us on a scale.” This set revealed a little more of FedUp’s sharpness and musical personality, and I came away impressed that this group was showing forward progress, and would also be worth keeping an eye on in coming months.

Ultimately, this was a good night of the metal arts on display at Aldo’s. Three bands with different styles and approaches, all gave competent performances and expanded their fan bases this night. A good show.

Matt Popp of FedUp.

Dave Charlton of FedUp.

“Baceman” Don Singer of FedUp.

Again, Don Singer of FedUp.

Brian Stotler of FedUp.

Fans cheer as FedUp rocks Aldo’s.

Again, Matt Popp of FedUp.

Again, Brian Stotler of FedUp.

Brian Stotler and Don Singer of FedUp.

Once again, Matt Popp of FedUp.

Once again, Brian Stotler of FedUp.

Again, Dave Charlton of FedUp.

RUSTY GUN REVIVAL @ CUSTOM SKIN ART “CHOPPIN’ LOT PARTY,” ALTOONA 6/3/06

I was again wearing two hats this day as my day and night jobs met at Custom Skin Art in Altoona, where I was doing a Q94 Harley remote broadcast. The occasion was the second annual Choppin’ Lot Party, an afternoon of motorcycles, music, food and fun.

The music was courtesy of Clearfield roots/Americana trio Rusty Gun Revival. Although the temperature was slightly cool and the skies were interchangeable between sun and rain clouds, a good-sized gathering of motorcycles, riders and Harley qualifier hopefuls were on hand to take in the music, machines and complimentary ribs and pork barbecue served up from Fat Daddy’s Barbecue Shack in Altoona.

Rusty Gun Revival did what they do best, blending roots country, rock, Americana and original songs. Their first set featured favorites from Johnny Cash, Elvis, Hank Sr. and more; along with established crowd pleasers like Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain” and the traditional “Wagon Wheels.”

Weather-wise, it was one of those days where it was sunny one moment, overcast the next. Some neighborhoods saw no rain, others got downpours. We saw a gray line of clouds drifting perilously close to and over our location, but for most of our live broadcast, it remained dry. But 20 minutes before the end of the remote, the rain began, and we were suddenly rushing to get our remote gear under cover and out of the rain. Fortunately, though, this deluge was short-lived, and enough people stuck around to make it worthwhile for Rusty Gun Revival to do a second set.

Rusty Gun Revival’s second set was a brief one, but featured quite the finale. After doing their own original tunes “That Girl Is Hot,” “Step It Up” and the punchy “Smoke;” the group welcomed a guest to the stage. Popular area Elvis impersonator Phil McCaulley stepped up to the microphone, and proceeded to floor the crowd with his ‘King’-ly vocals on “That’s Alright Mama.” I had heard about Phil many times, but never experienced his Elvis show before. Rusty Gun Revival had never seen him before, either, and thought he was just some bystander who wanted to sing Elvis. But once Phil – decked in his biking chaps, shades and doo-rag – opened his mouth, it was classic! Phil nailed Elvis’ voice dead on, and it was cool to witness the expressions on the musicians’ and crowd’s faces as they realized what they were experiencing. It provided an excellent ending to Rusty Gun Revival’s performance.

A few motorcycle burnouts in the Custom Skin Art parking lot slammed the exclamation point on what was – despite the brief rain – a fun afternoon.

An impressive fleet of motorcycles showed up for the Choppin' Lot Party and Q94 live Harley broadcast at Custom Skin Art.

Another look at the motorcycles on display.

A good crowd was on hand for the festivities at Custom Skin Art.

More bikes and choppers. The one in front was custom built from scratch!

Rusty Gun Revival provided the music during the Choppin' Lot Party.

Again, Rusty Gun Revival.

Ed "Red" McDonald of Rusty Gun Revival. "Red" just became a first-time daddy a few weeks ago – congratulations!

"The Reverend" Tom Hipps of Rusty Gun Revival.

Elvis is in (err...outside) the house – Phil McCaulley belts some Elvis with Rusty Gun Revival during the Choppin' Lot Party.

Again, Phil "Elvis" McCaulley sings with Rusty Gun Revival.

The King lives!

Again, Phil McCaulley and Rusty Gun Revival.

One more time, Rusty Gun Revival.

After Rusty Gun Revival finished their performance, Cheeze from Custom Skin Art (and Suicide Switch) does a burnout in the parking lot.

NORMAN NARDINI @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 6/3/06

Stormin’ Norman was back in town, and I was there to partake!

It was a “Saturday night in Altoona, Pennsyltucky,” and “Norman, Roosevelt, Aloysius, Nicodemus, Amadeus, Valentino, Giovanni, Romeo, Bruno, Raphael, Lucien Nardini” was back at Burgi’s Roundhouse to give Altoona a much needed dose of Pittsburgh rock and roll. Norman’s “Church of Rock and Roll” was again in session, and a good-sized congregation – including the Rockpage contingent of Ronny D, bassist_25 and yours truly – was on hand for some religion…Hallelujah!

Norman, bassist Harry Bottoms and drummer Whitey “Clyde” Cooper warmed up the engines with two instrumentals, a slower number and the surf-flavored “Boilermaker.” Then the band kicked it into rock and roll gear with “Rock and Roll City,” and Norman’s sassy wit began. Noting an older couple heading to the door as the rock and roll started, Norman playfully remarked that some people were exiting to go home to their televisions because “Lawrence Welk will be on soon.” Norman and his bandmates then did “White Trash Tragedy,” and noting the sluggish audience response so far, warned the Burgi’s audience, “Don’t make me love you.” Norman and his bandmates continued to touch the Burgi’s audience “in a special and manful way” with “We Still Have a Long Way to Go” and “Something’s Cookin.’” Proclaiming “I’m the Esteban of Pittsburgh rock and roll,” Norman then deferred the spotlight to Hollidaysburg native Whitey Cooper to sing lead on “Shama Lama Ding Dong” (popularized by Otis Day & the Nights in Animal House), and then to bass man Harry Bottoms, who sang lead on Marty Robbins’ “Singing the Blues.” Then re-introducing himself as “Nipples the Clown,” Norman laid on the spice thick and heavy with “What the F**k,” and as he “got lucky in Pennsyltucky,” continued with “Little Things.” Two ladies then approached the stage holding hands to make a request, and Norman remarked that “It eroticized me.” The ladies made a birthday request, and Norman responded by singing “Happy Birthday” to Millie, then proceeding into the Temptations’ Motown chestnut “The Way You Do the Things You Do.” Norman and his bandmates then shifted into roots country gear, with Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” with Whitey shifting to brushes on his drums, and Harry breaking out a wooden train whistle for added effect. Next was the slow ballad “You Go Your Way and I’ll Go Mine,” followed by the uptempo “Heat of the Night.” Then closing this marathon 90-minute-plus introductory set, Norman broke out one of his showstoppers, his take on Bob Marley’s “Smoke Two Joints;” where he sang “I smoke two joints in silken undershorts on a sultry summer night!”

As they did back in January, Norman, Whitey and Harry brought their ‘A’ game to Burgi’s thus far. Their musicianship was rock solid; Norman’s guitarwork was on fire and soulful, Whitey’s drumming was masterful, and Harry’s bottom end was full and sturdy. All three of these guys can carry a tune, and again I was floored by Whitey’s 50’s-styled falsetto and range. Norman himself was the show, again demonstrating his gift of gab, and peppering the presentation with his witty observations and one-liners, preaching the gospel in the “Church of Rock and Roll.” Again he had Ronny and I howling, and bassist_25 was getting a good dose of ‘old-skool’ Pittsburgh rock and roll!

After about a 30-minute intermission, Norman and his band were back to resume the service. After stating he was “tossing my own salad,” Norman started the second set with “Ain’t No Way I’m Ever Going to Change,” and the party was on once again! After another Norman original, “Mr. Right Now,” the group slowed it down for Kris Kristofferson’s “Help Me Make It Through the Night,” as Norman urged the audience to “take someone home to hold in your loving loins.” After “My Last Million Tears,” Norman again shifted the attention to drummer Whitey, who impressively sang Sam Cooke’s “Chain Gang.” Proclaiming himself the “Dork Boy,” Norman then introduced what he called “the best worst song” he ever wrote, “Love Dog.” Then, a salute to the Super Bowl Champions, as Norman introduced his new song about the Black and Gold, “Pittsburgh Steeler Nation.” After sharing his lovemaking tips with the audience (“I make love by going in face first and smacking my own ass!”), Norman again introduced bassist Harry, to croon lead voice on Roger Miller’s “King of the Road.” After the song “Who Dat Do Dat,” Norman welcomed a guest musician onstage, Jeff Shaw, who demonstrated a strong and powerful voice on a version of Free’s “All Right Now” to end the set.

Although attrition took some toll on Burgi’s older audience, a number of folks still remained, obviously pleased and entertained by Norman Nardini’s performance thus far. Norman came and sat with us during the intermission, and told us he recently got to do a show with Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes. He also gave bassist_25 some tips on luring the opposite sex. It was all good!

After a relatively short break, Norman, Whitey and Harry were back to crank out a few more songs. Honoring a request by “a young buck,” Norman and company repeated a song from earlier in the evening, “Folsom Prison Blues,” and Norman marveled at youth as the younger fan and his lady danced on the floor, remarking “Why can’t I be YOU?” The tunes continued with “Son of a Gun,” the rockabilly-flavored “Hell’s Highway,” “High Times,” and “Heartbreak Shake,” before slowing down for Elvis’ “Are You Lonesome Tonight” and the bluesy “Sick and Tired.” Norman and his band then ended the night on an upbeat note, kicking it into polka gear for Sue Thompson’s hit and Nardini’s adopted title song, “Norman.”

Again, “the manful handful, the beauty on duty, the wop wit da bop, the guinea wit da skinny, the Pittsburglar, the high priest from the church of Rock N Roll” and his supremely talented bandmates brought the rock, roll and soul party and made people smile all the way. The band from “Pittsville, Pennsyltucky” made the fans over the hills in Altoona, Pennsyltucky happy this night. Norman was again the consummate entertainer, and kept the audience riveted with his constant banter and wit. The musicianship was great, the laughs were numerous, and in Norman’s “Church of Rock and Roll,” we indeed again had a religious experience. Again, kick yourselves if you chose to bypass Norman Nardini’s latest visit; but he will be back, and you will have more opportunities to worship in Norman’s “Church of Rock and Roll” in late summer and fall.

Norman Nardini and his band light it up onstage at Burgi’s.

The “Manful Hanful,” Norman Nardini.

Hollidaysburg native Whitey “Clyde” Cooper.

Harry Bottoms.

Once again, Whitey Cooper.

Again, the High Priest of the Church of Rock’n’Roll, Norman Nardini.

Norman Nardini and Whitey Cooper.

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 6/4/06

My weekend wrapped up at Pellegrine’s, as I caught my first look at Juiced since they resurfaced on regional stages earlier this spring.

With founding keyboard man Doug Buch stepping away from live performing to pursue other career options, Juiced has slimmed to a foursome: singer/keyboardist Russ Weikel, lone remaining founding member Norm Marks on guitar, Peggy Hood on bass and Darrell Hetrick behind the drums. The group has played a handful of shows since resurfacing, and this was their second visit to Pellegrine’s since returning to action.

I arrived at Pelly’s just before their second set started, and attendance was on the light side by Pelly’s standards. There were people there, but not the large crowds that used to come see this band play before they went on hiatus. Obviously Juiced had some work cut out for them, to rebuild the local fan base that dissipated in their absence.

But from what I witnessed this night, Juiced should be able to do it. The group came out firing on all cylinders with a charged, enthusiastic performance, kicking off their second set with Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself,” and firing through a mixture of current and classic rocking favorites. Bass lady Peggy is handling more lead voice duties these days, and she demonstrated a clear and rangeful voice on Kim Wilde’s “Kids in America” and Lita Ford’s “Kiss Me Deadly,” as well as a new Juiced original song, the Garbage-flavored “Lethal Dose.” The group drew dancers to the floor as they rocked with tunes from Bryan Adams, House Of Pain, Rage Against the Machine, Nickeback, Puddle Of Mudd, Limp Bizkit, Green Day, and the fusing of Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” with Sublime’s “What I Got.”

Juiced was doing a good job thus far. Russ gave an enthusiastic performance on the lead mic, doing his best to rally the Pelly’s audience into dance floor action. The group was musically on target, and kept the action and movement nonstop. And with the introduction of new original songs to their set list, it appears that this edition of Juiced is moving forward and leaving the past behind.

Juiced’s nightcap set was equally energetic, kicking off with Fallout Boy’s “Sugar We’re Going Down,” and continuing with tunes from Guns’N’Roses, System Of A Down, Violent Femmes, AC/DC, Drowning Pool, Rage and more – including Peggy fronting the group on The Ataris’/Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer.” After Rage’s “Killing in the Name” ended the set, the Pellegrine’s dance floor participants demanded one more song, and Juiced responded with Kid Rock’s “Bawitdaba.”

Again, I thought Juiced did a solid job and kept the show charged and moving. They mixed up their tunes well, they shifted attention between all four band members, and kept their mood upbeat and fun. And although Pellegrine’s was not packed this night, the response I heard and witnessed from those who were present was positive and upbeat, and Juiced’s return was a welcome one.

In the overall scheme of things, the 16-month layoff might ultimately help Juiced in the long run. Their return to stage action represents a fresh restart, and a chance for this current line-up to define this band on their own terms. The hiatus can help distance Juiced further from the shadow of their past line-up, and enable them to chart their own course and build a new fan base. Based on this show, at least, it seems that the current edition of Juiced is focused on doing just that; and hopefully with fun parties scheduled on Pellegrine’s stage in the coming months, they will soon build and rebuild their Altoona fan base.

Norm Marks of Juiced.

Russ Weikel of Juiced.

Again, Russ Weikel of Juiced.

Peggy Hood of Juiced.

Juiced, back to partying with the fans at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Peggy Hood of Juiced.

Russ Weikel plays keys while Peggy Hood sings lead for Juiced.

Darrell Hetrick of Juiced.

Again, Darrell Hetrick of Juiced.

Norm Marks and Russ Weikel of Juiced.

Once again, Russ Weikel of Juiced.

Again, Norm Marks of Juiced.

Juiced, keeping the dancing fans happy at Pellegrine’s.

Once again, Russ Weikel of Juiced.

One more time, Peggy Hood of Juiced.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: