· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/12/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Jun 16, 2006 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/12/06

RUSTY GUN REVIVAL @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 6/7/06

I was able to escape the workplace early enough to catch the last set of Rusty Gun Revival at the Hitching Post during Wednesday “Country Night.”

With special guest John Stevens helping out on lap steel, Rusty Gun Revival entertained a good-sized, raucous Hitching Post crowd with their mix of original tunes and rootsy favorites. The group resumed the music with their established original tunes like “Long Way From Home” and “That Girl Is Hot,” followed by new rootsy original songs such as “Steppin’ Up” and “Smoke.” The rest of the set featured familiar Rusty Gun renditions of “Tell It To Me” from Old Crow Medicine Show, Elvis Presley’s “Little Sister,” Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain,” Johnny Cash’s “Cry Cry Cry” and “Ring Of Fire,” “Wagon Wheels” and more. The Hitching Post’s crowd’s cheers grew louder and rowdier as the set progressed; by the time the group reached Elvis’ “Devil In Disguise,” several dancers were busting moves in front of the band. The group did one more to end the evening, Traveling Wilburys’ “End Of The Line,” with a number of audience members keeping the beat by pounding their glasses and bottles on the tabletops.

This night again showed that Rusty Gun Revival’s brand of roots music and Americana can get folks happy and lively. And once again, they brought musical excitement to an otherwise dull Wednesday night in Altoona. Yee-haw!

Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave of Rusty Gun Revival.

John Stevens on lap, not nap, steel.

Ed “Red” McDonald of Rusty Gun Revival with guest John Stevens.

Uh oh, I think John is nodding off…John Stevens with Rusty Gun Revival.

SOUND DRIVEN @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 6/8/06

Since the various members of Sound Driven are apart and away at school during most of the year, their local appearances are sparse and confined to either holiday periods or the summer. With the members only being able to get together this night before drummer Luke heads south of the border (WAY south, as in South America), I figured I’d better catch their show while I had the chance.

The Bar was jam-packed as I arrived. Performing as a foursome this night, Sound Driven – Brian Pavlic on guitar and vocals, Denny Karl on keys and vocals, Dan Condrin on bass and Luke Leiden on drums – were in the midst of an intense jam, which soon arrived at a rendition of Robert Palmer’s “Sneaking Sally Through the Alley.” From there, the group stretched the tune out, taking it on a jazz fusion-styled joyride. The four musicians continued to explore on their instruments, taking their nearly nonstop jam through a variety of tempos and flavors, touching on a slower number and a reggae-flavored tune en route to set’s end. Sound Driven’s nonstop, lively vibes kept a steady group of dancers continuously active in front of the band, and fans cheering and grooving along the way.

After their intermission, Sound Driven resumed the jam fest, again stretching out arrangements and exploring a myriad of styles and tempos, from funk to near polka! At one point, a guest guitar player (whose name I didn’t catch) joined in and showed some fiery solo chops as Sound Driven’s jam intensified. Eventually, the group arrived at a recognizable song, Bob Marley’s “I Can See Clearly Now.” The nonstop jams continued, eventually touching on renditions of Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile,” Lou Reed’s “Rock and Roll” and Phish’s “Down With Disease” before finishing out the night.

For not having played together in several months, Sound Driven held it together pretty well this night. There were a few minor miscues and bumps along the way, but it was all in fun as the four musicians got re-acclimated with one another, and let the jam journey go where it would with few preconceived notions or plans for where it would arrive. The group kept the music nearly nonstop through it all, and kept the crowd happy and festive.

With the four band members venturing to different parts of the world the rest of this summer, this was likely the only performance of Sound Driven for this entire summer. So I was glad to stop in and partake in the jams; it will probably be at least the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday seasons before we might get to see this band in action again!

Dan Condrin and Brian Pavlic of Sound Driven.

Denny Karl of Sound Driven.

Luke Leiden of Sound Driven.

Fans look on as Sound Driven jams.

A guest guitar player fires off some licks.

The crowd watches as Sound Driven’s party continues.

The crowd grooves down with Sound Driven.

Again, Brian Pavlic of Sound Driven.

Again, Dan Condrin of Sound Driven.

Sound Driven’s jam party continues.

JEN BERTIAUX @ THE U.S. HOTEL, HOLLIDAYSBURG 6/9/06

One of the cool things about doing what I do is seeing names surface on the music scene, even in a guest capacity, and then come into full blossom later on down the road as full-fledged performers.

Enter Jen Bertiaux. I first met and saw this lady several years ago, when she used to get up and belt out voice onstage with Felix & the Hurricanes. She had an impressive blues howl back then, and I thought that Jen could soon be making a name for herself with her voice and presentation. A couple of years later, I was hooked up with a copy of Jen’s first solo CD, Bird’s Eye View. Then earlier this week, while delivering the June Pennsylvania Musician magazines to the U.S. Hotel, I saw a poster advertising Jen’s appearance there on Friday night. I was there!

The U.S. Hotel was jam-packed as I arrived, but fortunately, thanks to a friend, I soon had a seat at the main bar to view Jen’s performance. Jen was just wrapping up her first set, and ended it with her own interpretation of Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.” This song became Jen’s playground, as her voice ran with it throughout the song’s course.

The next two sets would give me a more complete picture of what Jen Bertiaux’s overall style and sound were all about. As she progressed into her set, Jen demonstrated a bluesy, soulful and sassy singing style, suggesting two parts Janis Joplin, and one part each Joni Mitchell and Alanis Morisette. Jen’s presentation was enthusiastic and animated, as she howled, growled, crooned, groaned, and did whatever it took to convey her emotion and get the gist of the songs across. I didn’t readily recognize many of the songs Jen performed in this set; but she did break out a song from Tom Waits, along with an interesting variation of Led Zeppelin’s “Four Sticks,” a few original songs and more.

Originally from Dubois, Jen now calls Asheville, North Carolina home. She regularly performs around the Asheville area, and this night’s U.S. Hotel show was a roadtrip visit for her.

Soon Jen returned to perform some more. Once again, her style was sassy folk and blues, as she mixed original songs with select remakes. Again, I only caught a few song titles in this set, including an original song, “Where Are the Wallflowers;” also a Bob Dylan tune, and to end the show, Hoyt Axton/Three Dog Night’s “Never Been to Spain.”

I was impressed with Jen’s style, delivery and overall soul and passion for what she did. You could tell she was feeling the music, and her performance was an extension of her soul and personality. I also was intrigued by her song variety, and the “back of the rack” selections she brought to the forefront. It was good to touch base with this talented lady once again, and hopefully she’ll make the U.S. Hotel stage a regular part of her itinerary when she visits this neck of the woods.

Jen Bertiaux, making her U.S. Hotel debut.

Again, Jen Bertiaux.

SILVER SUNDAY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 6/9/06

From the U.S. Hotel, I headed to Aldo’s to catch the last set of Silver Sunday’s performance. It turned out to be quite the party!

Aldo’s wasn’t packed when I arrived, but the people who were there were having a blast! The group was performing one of their original songs, the darker and gothic-tinged “Cathedral Lights,” and as I stepped up to the bar to procure my first adult beverage, I discovered Choking Faith frontman Jason Mittan with cordless mic in hand, singing his half of the song’s duet from behind the bar while Buck Dickson sang the other half onstage! Buck then continued on lead mic with his ‘Bucky Spears’ treatment of Britney Spears’ “Hit Me Baby.” Frontlady Cathie then took over the spotlight as she sang No Doubt’s “Just A Girl;” before she and Silver Sunday resurrected a lost 90’s gem, CIV’s “Can’t Wait One Minute More.” Cathie continually was taking her game to the dance floor and seated fans, trying to get them up off their butts to dance as she and Silver Sunday proceeded through Patti Smyth’s “The Warrior” and Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me.” Cathie was winning the battle to fill Aldo’s dance floor by the time she and the group arrived at House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” even coercing the reluctant Professor to join the festivities on the floor and ‘jump around.’ This gearshifted into some James Brown grooves, as new bassman Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger cut loose with some hot funk. Cathie again inherited the spotlight to belt out Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots,” before she and Silver Sunday wrapped up the night with Madonna/Kelly Osbourne’s “Papa Don’t Preach.”

Silver Sunday succeeded in taking what would have been an otherwise quiet Friday night at Aldo’s and elevating it into a fun party. Their presentation was feisty, fun and frivolous; keeping the mood upbeat and never taking themselves too seriously. It became more infectious as the set moved along, and from the middle of the set on, the dance floor saw activity. Silver Sunday has found a unique niche with their blend of 80’s and 90’s pop and new wave, current hits and their own originals; presented with their own perky and playful edge. As I have said before, this band deserves to be packing dance floors in this area’s marquee Saturday and Sunday night venues. Here’s hoping Silver Sunday soon gets the recognition they deserve.

The singing bartender, Jason Mittan.

Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Mike Stanley of Silver Sunday.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Silver Sunday brings the party to Aldo’s.

Again, Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Again, Silver Sunday.

Again, Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Again, Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Girls just wanna have fun when Silver Sunday gets their party going.

Cathie and Buck of Silver Sunday.

CARL ROAD @ T&A TAVERN, CLEARFIELD 6/10/06

My day job and night job came together again to kick off this evening. The day job portion was a Q94 live Harley remote at the T&A Tavern in Clearfield; entertainment after the remote would be provided by the band Carl Road, when my night job would kick in.

This was my first time seeing Carl Road, a young Curwensville-based foursome that has been playing together for a year and a half. Brad Howell and Nate Sopic play guitars, Joe Sopic plays bass, and Brandon Anderson plays drums; all four sing.

Right at the stroke of 8 PM, Carl Road kicked off their first set with Blue Oyster Cult’s “Burnin’ For You,” before storming right into Grand Funk Railroad’s “We’re An American Band.” These guys kept the momentum rolling into Ted Nugent’s “Cat Scratch Fever,” The Hollies’ “Long Cool Woman” and AC/DC’s “Moneytalks.” All four band members swapped lead vocal duties along the way. Next was a ‘break’ double-shot featuring Judas Priest’s “Breakin’ the Law” into Greg Kihn Band’s “Break-Up Song.” After Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” Carl Road closed their opening set with two 90’s numbers, Nirvana’s “In Bloom” and Stone Temple Pilots’ “Plush.”

Carl Road was instrumentally on target and all four members were on the same page. All four could also hold their own as singers, as they alternated lead mic duties throughout the set. This group displayed good energy, and maintained a tight pace between songs.

The T&A Tavern crowd wasn’t too active in the first set, but started to come alive during the second set. Carl Road resumed action with Van Halen’s “Panama,” and followed it with Thin Lizzy’s “Jailbreak;” both with Brandon singing lead from behind the drum kit. Bassist Joe then fronted the group on an uptempo read of Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game,” before Brad sang lead on Def Leppard’s “Animal.” It was then Nate’s turn to again display his vocal talents on the Tom Petty double-shot of “American Girl” and “You Wreck Me;” before Brad again fronted the group on Five Man Electrical Band/Tesla’s “Signs,” Def Leppard’s “Hysteria,” Silverchair’s “Tomorrow” and Metallica’s “Unforgiven.” The dance floor saw more action, especially during “Hysteria.” Joe then sang lead on Danzig’s “Mother,” before Brad again sang lead on AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell” to close out the set.

It had been my game plan to watch this band perform through 10 PM, before heading elsewhere to catch another group. Although Carl Road would return for a third set, I departed during this second intermission. What I witnessed from this young band was good; they delivered a solid, hard-driving, hard-rocking show. They didn’t do anything fancy, but just rocked the house – which for the crowd at this biker-friendly venue, perfectly fit the bill.

The Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse enjoys some good grub during the festivities at the T&A Tavern. The Clearfield Chinklacamoose A.B.A.T.E. Chapter presented an all-you-can-eat food fundraiser during the Q94 Harley remote.

You don't see too many peach-colored Harleys around, but this one was in attendance at the T&A Tavern.

Carl Road rocks the house at the T&A Tavern.

Brandon Anderson of Carl Road.

Nate Sopic of Carl Road.

Joe Sopic of Carl Road.

Once again, Carl Road.

FACE DOWN @ ELECTRIC AVENUE, HOUTZDALE 6/10/06

From the T&A Tavern, I proceeded south on Route 153 to Houtzdale, and arrived at Electric Avenue to get caught up with Face Down.

This was my second look at this group, and they have undergone a complete transformation since I first saw them at Aldo’s early last year. Bassist and singer Nate Socoski is the only remaining founding member of the group. Nate is surrounded with a veteran cast; Chris Kane and Jim Force on guitars, and former (western PA) Simon Sez drummer/singer Mark Neiswonger. Face Down was midway through their first set as I arrived, performing a mix of mostly current and 90’s hard rock, with an occasional 70’s or 80’s number thrown in. For the duration of this set, Face Down did numbers from Weezer, Fuel, Collective Soul, Smashing Pumpkins, and Saliva’s “Survival of the Sickest” to close out the set.

A relatively small crowd was on hand when I first arrived, but more people started arriving as the night progressed.

During the intermission, I spoke with Mark, who disclosed that the group was tackling several numbers for the first time this night. Due to his own busy work schedule, he doesn’t have time to practice or practice with his bandmates; he told me he learns the songs in his head and thinks out how he is going to perform the songs, and then executes that game plan onstage. So far, it seemed to be working out pretty well. Also impressive with this is that Mark also sings lead on several songs, and is able to perform both duties simultaneously and do them well.

Soon Face Down returned for the second set, launching with Judas Priest’s “Living After Midnight.” With several rowdy fans (mostly women at this point) cheering them on, Face Down continued with Danzig's "Mother" and Smashing Pumpkins' "Bullet with Butterfly Wings." Nate then broke out his best Dave Mustaine growl on Megadeth's "Sweating Bullets," before he and Face Down launched into White Zombie's "Thunder Kiss '65." Mark then sang lead from behind the kit on 3 Doors Down's "When I'm Gone," before the group launched into Staind's "Mudshovel." The group continued with current rockers from Seether and Papa Roach, before breaking out a hammering update of Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting." The second set concluded with renditions of Nickelback's "nimal" and Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name."

So far, Face Down was sounding sharp. The dual guitar attack offered by Chris Kane and Jim Force brought plenty of solo fireworks to the Electric Avenue stage, as both axemen gave their respective instruments good workouts. Mark was delivering hard-hitting drum thunder behind the kit, complemented by Nate's ever-busy and full-sounding bass work. Face Down's performance was confident and powerful, with members of the Houtzdale audience hooting and hollering support as the set moved along.

Face Down was soon ready to rock some more. The third set started with a Chris Kane guitar solo display, leading into Alice In Chains' "Man In the Box." The dance floor got busy for Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right (to Party)," the Mark-sung rendition of Guns'N'Roses' "Sweet Child O'Mine" and Stone Temple Pilots' "Sex Type Thing." Nate then led the band and crowd in a toast, and after everybody sent one "down the hole for rock and roll," it was another Megadeth tune, "Symphony Of Destruction." Face Down then welcomed their soundman, Al Kephart, up to the stage to belt out lead on two AC/DC numbers, "TNT" and "Sin City," and Metallica's "Enter Sandman." Face Down then wrapped up the party by honoring requests for two songs played earlier, Staind's "Mudshovel" and the Papa Roach number (the title I didn't catch, no it wasn't "Last Resort").

The crowd that accumulated through the evening was pretty fired up. One particularly interesting and boozed-up chap started yelling jargon about Area 51 into the lead microphone several minutes after the show ended (after singing "The Ballad Of Curtis Loew" a cappella at the back bar earlier in the evening); his mic was cut off shortly afterward. Face Down served up good, hard-hitting rock for Houtzdale Nation to get rowdy to - obviously, it worked, and they did!

Nate announced that Face Down were soon going their separate ways, as Mark is planning to relocate cross-country soon, and various band members are discussing new projects. So if you haven't seen Face Down yet, you have just a few weeks left to catch this line-up in action!

Chris Kane of Face Down.

Face Down rocks the house at Electric Avenue.

Chris Kane and Nate Socoski of Face Down.

Again, Chris Kane of Face Down.

Mark Neiswonger of Face Down.

Nate Socoski of Face Down.

Again, Mark Neiswonger of Face Down.

With Al Kephart joining them on vocals, Face Down gets ‘em dancing at Electric Avenue.

Nate Socoski of Face Down with soundman Al Kephart singing lead.

Chris Kane of Face Down gets down with the dancers on the floor.

Al Kephart singing alongside Jim Force of Face Down.

Jim Force of Face Down.

Once again, Mark Neiswonger of Face Down.

Again, Face Down continues to rock the house at Electric Avenue.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 6/11/06

Following “Backyard Rocker” duties this night, I headed to Pellegrine’s to finish my weekend with Bad Daze.

As I arrived during Bad Daze's second set and advanced to the main bar to procure my first brew, I noted that again Pelly's was only modestly populated, just as it had been the previous Sunday for Juiced. In the main band room, Bad Daze frontman Rob Carolus was taking his cordless mic and working the Pelly's premises, pulling all stops to try to get people out of their seats and onto the dance floor. The group was into a rendition of Offspring's "Self Esteem," and continued with Nickelback's "Figure You Out," Puddle Of Mudd's "She Hates Me," and Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell;" before stepping it heavier with a competent rendition of Pantera's "Walk" to close the set. Spellbound by the metal finish to their set, I headed to the stage to bust the group's chops on their heavy song selection. Although not packed, at least a few of the folks who were in the house were up in front of the stage to rock along with Bad Daze.

After the intermission, Bad Daze returned to action, and started their third set much the way they wrapped up their second; going heavy for Static X's "Push It," and following it with Godsmack's "Whatever." Rob, guitarist Kenny 'Old Skool' Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Randy Wilson drew some folks up to the stage as they proceeded with Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" and Seether's "Remedy. The group then shifted into a slightly more pop-geared vein with Fallout Boy's "Sugar We're Going Down" and Jimmy Eats World's "The Middle," before ending the night with Eminem's "Lose Yourself."

Although they didn't have maximum crowd to work with, Bad Daze did a good job in getting a portion of the crowd that was in the house up onto the dance floor, and again succeeded in delivering the good time. Hopefully this general crowd malaise that has befallen Pellegrine's over the past 9-10 months will start to reverse itself, so Bad Daze and the other groups on this venue's roster start getting the full house crowds they deserve.

Bad Daze attempts to light a spark under Pellegrine’s.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze demonstrates some ‘old skool’ guitar work.

Once again, Bad Daze.

Uh oh…It looks like Randy Wilson of Bad Daze set his kit on fire.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze with one of several ‘old skool’ poses of the night.

During their third set, Bad Daze succeeds in getting some peeps dancing.

After the fog has cleared, Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

One more time, Bad Daze.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: