· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/19/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 27, 2006 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/19/06

BAD HAIR DAY @ ELECTRIC AVENUE, HOUTZDALE 6/14/06

For the final time before Q94 gave away its Harley Davidson Street Bob motorcycle, my day job and night job met once again at Electric Avenue in Houtzdale during Wednesday “Bike Night,” with Bad Hair Day again providing the tunes.

As I was doing the Harley remote, I wasn’t able to pay close attention during Bad Hair Day’s first set, but did note singers/guitarists Gary Bickerstaff and Tim Chelednik doing versions of Tom Petty’s “American Girl” and Gin Blossoms’ “Hey Jealousy.”

After the Q94 remote ended and Electric Avenue main man Justin awarded several trophies for best bike in several categories, Bad Hair Day performed two-plus sets of classic rock, with occasional bursts of current tunes and country along the way. The “Bike Night” crowd stuck around for much of the night, and even provided some dance floor action. Gary and Tim sounded impressive on all of it, as they mixed favorites from Tom Petty, Sister Hazel, Matchbox 20, R.E.M., ZZ Top, Neil Young, Elvis, Bon Jovi, Johnny Cash, Counting Crows and more. Highlights were commonplace throughout the night, including one party animal dancing wildly up on a chair during Marvin Gaye/CCR’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine,” Tim’s smooth slide guitar work on Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” and his tasty lead work on Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” and Gary achieving the high notes on Darkness’ “I Believe in a Thing Called Love.” Bad Hair Day also worked in select country numbers from Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, Warren Brothers and more. Gary’s and Tim’s voices were in good form, and their instrumental skills were again squarely on target.

Unlike my last Electric Avenue “Bike Night” adventure, Justin’s Boddington’s Ale tap wasn’t operational this night, diminishing the possibility that I would need one of Electric Avenue’s hotel rooms later on. So I departed Electric Avenue after Bad Hair Day’s performance and had a smooth trip back down the mountain, not even encountering any suicidal wildlife this night.

Bottom line – Wednesday “Bike Night” and quality tunage from Bad Hair Day resulted in another midweek good time at Electric Avenue.

After the rain ended, a good army of bikes – including a human-powered one – showed up at Electric Avenue for Wednesday Bike Night and the Q94 live Harley broadcast.

Bad Hair Day provided live classic rock entertainment during and following the broadcast.

Again, Gary Bickerstaff and Tim Chelednik – Bad Hair Day.

CHOKING FAITH/SUICIDE SWITCH @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 6/16/06

Due to day job Harley remote duties and the need to grab a meal afterward, I had a late start to this night’s live music pursuits. After mulling over the possibilities, I decided to take in some metal at Aldo’s, where the double-bill of Suicide Switch and Choking Faith was taking place.

I had already missed Choking Faith’s set as I arrived, but did get there in time to see Suicide Switch. Aldo’s had a good-sized crowd on hand to support original metal this night.

Soon Suicide Switch launched their set of scathing, intense metalcore; showcasing original songs such as “Say Goodbye,” “Truth,” “Last Rites,” “Conflicted,” and of course, their established closer, “In The Wake.” Frontman Cheeze was again all-out rage, his mic cord wrapped tightly around his wrist and veins again threatening to jump out of his head as he delivered his full-vent presentation. Guitarists Tom Noel and Shaun Barr, bassist Dan Mort and drummer Jay Mosey laid down the rampaging wall of sound behind Cheeze, delivering tight and intense execution.

Suicide Switch’s set was a little shorter than I anticipated, and the night’s music ended well before the 1:30 mark. I had to get up early the next morning anyway (something about a Harley giveaway), so it worked out better for me.

This night reaffirmed that Suicide Switch can still deliver the brutality. And it also showed that original metal can hold a good crowd in this town, when bands develop a quality product, continue to market it and build a fan base over time. Suicide Switch and Choking Faith have done that, and the evidence was a well-attended show at Aldo’s this night.

Suicide Switch brings their onslaught to Aldo’s.

Cheeze of Suicide Switch.

Jay Mosey of Suicide Switch.

Again, Suicide Switch.

Again, Jay Mosey of Suicide Switch.

More Suicide Switch metalcore at Aldo’s.

Once again, Suicide Switch.

One more time, Suicide Switch.

HALF TEMPTED @ Q94 HARLEY GIVEAWAY, BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 6/17/06

For the ninth year in a row, Q94 was giving away a Harley Davidson motorcycle. This year the bike of choice was a 2006 edition Harley Davidson Street Bob, and two months’ worth of qualifying culminated in the big giveaway, happening this day at Burgi’s Roundhouse, on the golf course.

I arrived at roughly 9:30 AM, and there was already a healthy contingent of Harley hopefuls gathered around the registration tables to check their cards in for the drawing, which would begin around noon-ish. With forecasted daytime highs reaching near 90, it was already getting warm on the golf course, as people set up shop with lawn chairs and blankets, to take in the drawing and the band that came before it, Half Tempted.

The Tony Mollick Project had originally been slated to do this year’s giveaway, but namesake Tony Mollick got banged up badly in a traffic accident the week before. Half Tempted was contacted earlier in the week, and was able to come perform at the giveaway on short notice. Kudos en masse to Ronny, Steve and Big Jim!

Half Tempted did what they do best, firing up the awaiting crowd of Harley hopefuls with their hard-hitting mix of classic rock favorites, including tunes from AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Drivin’N’Cryin,’ Black Crowes, Steppenwolf and more.

After the clock struck noon, the moment of decision had arrived. First, before the official drawing began, five final qualifier names – from hopefuls who had not yet qualified for the bike during the previous two months – were selected. The field of 947 was then complete. From the initial 947 qualifying entries in the barrel, fifty semi-finalist names were drawn. From those fifty names, ten finalists were drawn. Those names were returned to the barrel, and one by one, drawn and whittled down to two remaining names: April Roudabush and Gail Martynuska. One more name was drawn and read: April's. Which meant...Gail Martynuska of Altoona won the Harley. She was elated, proclaiming she would ride her new prize. And after two months of doing constant phone-in qualifiers and traveling to live remotes, we were relieved – another Harley Giveaway had been completed. Time to relax…

The big prize, the 2006 Harley Davidson Street Bob motorcycle. Within a few hours, somebody would own this fine machine!

Harley hopefuls register to get their card into the barrel for the Street Bob.

Half Tempted kicks off the festivities with some live classic rock.

Steve McCulley of Half Tempted.

The field is whittled from 947 qualifiers down to ten finalists.

And from ten down to three...

And from three down to two...

And the winner – Gail Martynuska of Altoona !!!!!

Gail Martynuska celebrates with her newest acquisition.

RELAY FOR LIFE BAND JAM @ SHADE GAP PICNIC GROUNDS, SHADE GAP 6/17/06

After the Harley drawing ended, I did lunch with some Clem’s Ribs at Burgi’s, before hitting the road and traveling eastward to Huntingdon County, where another big event was happening this day, the third annual Relay For Life Band Jam, organized by Fast Trackers Relay For Life. Proceeds from this day would go to the American Cancer Society on behalf of Fast Trackers.

I arrived at the Shade Gap Picnic Grounds in time to see part of Sound Of Silence’s set on the main stage; this was the second time I had seen this band after first catching their show a couple of years ago at Mount Union’s County Line Inn. I watched as they rocked the stage with hard-hitting current and classic rock and metal. Frontman Mike Rogers, guitarists Eric Scott and Jason Ramsey, bassist Curt Nearhood and drummer Bob Fogelsonger fired off renditions of Godsmack’s “Awake,” Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” and “For Whom The Bell Tolls,” before performing the hard-driving original “As Hard As It Gets.” The group then did Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me,” before ending their set with another original, the grungy and melodic “I Fear.” What I saw of Sound Of Silence was good; they appeared tighter and more focused than during that earlier County Line Inn performance, and they were confident and energized. The audience liked their efforts, with at least a few younger fans in front of the stage and dancing.

Sound Of Silence rocks the house at the Relay For Life Band Jam.

Again, Sound Of Silence.

Once again, Sound Of Silence.

Eric Scott of Sound Of Silence.

Again, Sound Of Silence.

Again, Eric Scott of Sound Of Silence.

Yet again, Sound Of Silence.

Mike Rogers of Sound Of Silence.

I then headed to the second stage to get my first look at Faded X. A McConnellsburg-based foursome that formed just a month ago, Faded X did rock’n’roll from the 70’s to present. Drummer/singer Greg Deneen, lead guitarist/singer Randy Keefer, bassist Ramee Dillman and rhythm guitarist Denny Woods did songs from Steppenwolf, Free, Tom Petty, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, Blackfoot, Seven Mary Three, Green Day and more; they also broke out one original song. As they have only been together a month, there were a few tuning issues and miscues, and the group appeared a little stiff on the stage. They were also battling some sound and monitor issues, which didn’t make their job any easier. Despite the problems, Faded X did manage to keep some audience in front of the stage to watch their performance, and this band should be worth keeping an eye on once they get some more shows and practice time under their belts.

Faded X.

Greg Deneen of Faded X.

Denny Woods of Faded X.

Randy Keefer of Faded X.

Again, Randy Keefer of Faded X.

Once again, Randy Keefer of Faded X.

One more time, Randy Keefer of Faded X.

Scream was up next on the main stage. As expected, Scream took the audience on an 80’s metal joyride, spanning Whitesnake and Ratt to Motley Crue, Skid Row, Def Leppard and more. I was again blown away by the crisp harmony guitar leads offered up by Ed Miller and Skip Henry, particularly on the rendition of Ratt’s “Round and Round;” and these two individually smoked on their leads throughout the set. And I was very impressed by the driving and powerful drum work of Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel, who has clearly hit his stride with Scream. His bests were confident and booming, and you could tell by the look on his face that he was very happy to be playing this vein of music in this band. You could easily tell why Kevin has been geeked on Scream since he joined up. Scream kept the crowd entertained and rocking – that is, what crowd there was.

Scream launches their performance at the Relay For Life Band Jam.

Again, Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Kevin Siegel and Robert Port of Scream.

Again, Kevin Siegel of Scream.

Again, Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Once again, Scream rocks at the Relay For Life Band Jam.

Jeff Hoover and Robert Port of Scream.

Ed Miller of Scream.

Again, Ed Miller of Scream, doing some talkbox during Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart."

One more time, Scream.

Sound Of Silence drummer Bob Fogelsonger is better known to the Rockpage community as “Trucula.” This monster pick-up, his creation, is the reason for the name. This is Trucula.

A look up inside the cab of Trucula.

The only disappointment of the Relay For Life Band Jam thus far was attendance, which was down from the previous two years. There were still people present, but not as many. The hot weather could have been a factor, although after being in the hot sun earlier in the day at the Q94 Harley Giveaway and picking up my first touches of sunburn this summer, I was glad to be under the trees offered up at the Shade Gap Picnic Grounds. I wondered if the presence of two separate concert events this year, just three weeks apart, might have been a bigger factor; especially given that three of the more popular bands on this day’s bill – Sound Of Silence, Scream and Spitshine – were also on the bill for the Harper’s Memorial Park Rockfest event on July 8, all opening up for national recording group Warrant. Perhaps folks decided to hold off attending this show to see those same bands on July 8 with Warrant.

In any case, crowd or no crowd, the show went on. After Scream’s set, I proceeded to the second stage to see The Lakota Band for the first time. Based in the Hagerstown/Chambersburg area, The Lakota Band has been together over three years, and features guitarists John Waltman and Jimmy Allen, bassist Marc Cournoyer and drummer Ed Grape; all four sing. They performed a strong blend of classic rocking favorites from the late 60’s through 80’s, including numbers from Bad Company, Spirit, Lynyrd Skynyrd, REO Speedwagon, U2, Eagles and more. I was very impressed by their overall strong musicianship and vocal harmonies; also the group’s ability to perform these classics with their own defining touch and flavor. And although they dealt with monitor issues similar to what Faded X had encountered earlier, The Lakota Band battled through those issues and still managed to pull off a strong and convincing performance. I was very impressed with my first look at The Lakota Band; hopefully I’ll run across this band again sometime soon.

The Lakota Band kicks off their set.

Again, The Lakota Band.

Jimmy Allen of The Lakota Band.

Marc Cournoyer of The Lakota Band.

Again, Jimmy Allen of The Lakota Band.

“Big” John Waltman of The Lakota Band.

Again, John Waltman of The Lakota Band.

Finishing the day was Spitshine, who trekked in from the Lehigh Valley to donate their talents to the cause. Despite arriving shortly into The Lakota Band’s set and not having much time to set up, Spitshine had things ready to go a soon as The Lakota Band was finished, and started on time, opening with “Satellite,” the lead-off track from their latest CD, Transaudio. Although the hot weather took its toll on the audience and only a few folks remained when Spitshine took the stage, Spitshine poured it all out onstage for that small audience, delivering a tight, powerful, professional-caliber performance showcasing original songs and a few select covers. After a new song, “I Don’t Want You,” and two tunes from Transaudio, “No Good” and “Fall Away,” Spitshine broke out a spirited remake of Elton John’s “Rocket Man,” before introducing another new song, “Share The Love.” Singer Bryan Harmony addressed the small audience and introduced a song from the group’s self-titled debut EP, “Everywhere You Go,” before the spotlight switched to new drummer Steve Berlen, who got the audience members yelling with a crisp drum solo. Spitshine continued “Whisper” from their debut and “I-H8-U” from Transaudio, before the attention shifted to guitarist Larry Werner, who cranked out a fiery guitar solo that got one young fan up and air-jamming along in front of the stage! This led into the mellower “Mandalyn” off Transaudio, followed by another new song, “Therapy.” After another Transaudio track, “Thorne,” Spitshine broke out another unexpected remake, doing Christina Aguilera’s “Beautiful,” before letting Larry have the spotlight on guitar and vocals on AC/DC’s “Live Wire.” The group then ended their performance with another tune from their debut, “Quarter Til Four.” Spitshine demonstrated that they perform their best for the audience whether there are 20 or 2,000 people present; with the audience this night in the two dozen range, Spitshine pulled all the stops to entertain, and give these folks a good time. Bryan constantly worked the audience and made them feel at home, and guitarist Larry Werner demonstrated stunning solo work and a lively, enthusiastic stage presence. It was not lost on this audience, who grew louder and livelier as the set proceeded. After the set ended, Spitshine greeted the audience members, taking time to chat with them, and autograph photos and CD’s. Bottom line, an all-around, professional-caliber performance!

Although attendance could have been stronger, the Relay For Life Band Jam was still a good day of community togetherness and rock and roll. And it’s quite likely that Fast Trackers Relay For Life and the Shade Gap Volunteer Fire Company should see a much larger crowd on July 8, when Sound Of Silence, Scream, Spitshine and national 80’s/90’s recording group Warrant perform at the Harpers Memorial Park Rockfest 2006!

Spitshine caps the 3rd annual Relay For Life Band Jam.

Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Jeff Hasz of Spitshine.

Again, Spitshine.

Again, Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

Larry Werner of Spitshine.

Once again, Spitshine.

A young fan gets crazy while Larry Werner of Spitshine jams on guitar.

Again, Larry Werner of Spitshine.

Larry Werner and Bryan Harmony of Spitshine.

One more time, Spitshine.

SKELL @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 6/17/06

Glutton for live music that I am, I headed back to Altoona shortly after the Relay For Life Band Jam ended, and returned to Aldo’s for some more metal, this time courtesy of Pittsburgh powerhouse Skell.

I arrived shortly before Skell’s final set of the evening began, and a good-sized crowd of metal fans were on hand. The group began with a Sevendust tune, with Opposition frontman Mike “Iceman” Bryant contributing some backing howls, which quickly fired up the band and crowd for the duration of the set. Frontman Pat “Bones” Bono, guitarist Mike Palone, bassist Mike Ekis and drummer Keith Kweder roared with versions of Korn’s “Blind” and Coal Chamber’s “Big Truck,” before launching into two of their originals, “No Solution” and “Ex.” After another song, the attention focused on drummer Keith, who blasted forth an incredible solo display that had this observer’s jaw nearly bouncing off Aldo’s floor in sheer amazement; this guy’s feet were incredibly fast! Keith, Bones and Skell then veered in a classic metal direction with Iron Maiden’s “Number Of The Beast,” before ending the night with Slayer’s “South Of Heaven.”

Skell in a word…BADASS! This band laid down the fire-and-brimstone metal, from Mike Palone’s roaring chords and searing leads to Bones’ feral howl, to Keith’s rapidfire, precision drum thunder to Mike Ekis’ menacing bass work. Skell simply delivered their arsenal full force, loudly and proudly celebrating metal, and pulling the Aldo’s audience into the celebration along the way.

If there was any doubt about my catching my second wind after the Harley Giveaway and the Relay For Life Band Jam (and accompanying roadtrip both ways), Skell put that doubt to rest convincingly with their fired up, powerful set; which had me wide awake and yelling approval with the other Aldo’s fans. Excellent!

Pat “Bones” Bono of Skell.

Mike Palone of Skell.

Again, Mike Palone of Skell.

Skell brings forth the metal at Aldo’s.

Keith Kweder of Skell.

Again, Keith Kweder of Skell, performing a drum solo.

Again, Skell.

Mike Ekis of Skell.

Once again, Skell.

With some fans to cheer them on, Skell.

Once again, Mike Palone of Skell, with his roadkilled guitar.

Once again, Keith Kweder of Skell.

One more time, Keith Kweder of Skell.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 6/18/06

It was Freakshow night at the Hitching Post, evidenced mere seconds after I arrived, when Hurricane Felix himself greeted me from the stage with a hearty “Hello JP, welcome to the Freakshow!” And it was! Mere seconds after Felix said his greeting and I made my way back to the rear of the bar to procure my first brew from the ever-popular Faith, I felt fingers clenching a grip on one of my butt cheeks, courtesy of the nefarious ringleader of Amplified Heet, Jules Bianchini! Yes, it was going to be one of those nights…

Eventually Jules relinquished his grip on my hind quarter, and I observed the rest of the freakshow in attendance this night, including Ed (anybody who follows Hurricanes shows know about Ed), and several frisky women busting their best erotic-styled dance moves in front of the Hurricanes on stage. The ‘Canes were entertaining the asylum with Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page” and the Allman Brothers’ “No One to Run With,” before veering into Ted Nugent’s “Free For All” in deference to the obvious crowd free-for-all taking place. Bassman Jeff Clapper then sang lead on the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times,” which led directly into the Felix-fronted take on Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Look At Little Sister.” Recognizing the local radio celebrity now in the audience, the Hurricanes broke into “Backyard Rocker Rocks,” before finishing the set with a scorching read of Grand Funk Railroad’s “Closer to Home,” with Jules stepping up to the stage to offer color commentary, stating “This is one song where the bass player kicks Felix’s ass!”

The inmates were clearly running the asylum this night, and it was funny watching the ‘Canes keeping this lively group entertained, and Faith doing her best to keep at least a partial lid on the happenings to keep things from getting too wild.

Following a brief intermission, the Hurricanes were back up to reignite the freaks in the house. Felix, Jeff and drummer Bob Watters resumed the musical action with – logically enough – Robben Ford’s “Start It Up.” The Hurricanes intensified with Skynyrd’s “Call Me The Breeze” and Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ with Disaster,” before breaking out some Grateful Dead with “Alabama Getaway.” The aforementioned Jules Bianchini then joined the ‘Canes onstage, singing lead on Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and Cream’s “Sunshine Of Your Love.” The Hurricanes then brought the party to a close with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy.”

Needless to say, this edition of Sunday night Hurricaning was a hoot! The Hurricanes themselves are always capable of their own brand of craziness; but it’s even better when the crowd gets their insanity on, and freakshows like this night develop. Entertaining, fun and crazy!

It was a freakshow Sunday night at the Hitching Post for the Hurricanes and their friends.

“Little Midget Felix” Jules Bianchini joins the real Felix of the Hurricanes onstage at the Hitching Post.

The Hurricanes weren’t the only ones providing wild entertainment at the Hitching Post this night.

Mr. Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Once again, Hurricane Felix.

One more time, Felix & the Hurricanes with special guest Jules Bianchini.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: