· The Final Cut
MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP 6/26/06 PART II
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Jul 13, 2006 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE WEEKEND RECAP 6/26/06, PT. II

DAY TWO: FRIDAY 6/23/06

After arising, showering, and catching a quick breakfast at a nearby Eat’n Park, I returned to Crowne Plaza to take in the full Millennium Music Conference and trade show. Arriving at 11 AM, I was a bit surprised to find I was the only trade show representative present early on. Soon, though, my friend Shel Hoachlander from Black Thorn Entertainment and Origivation Magazine arrived with her son, Emmanuel, and we chatted for a little bit as other trade show participants and conference attendees began to arrive. This year’s Trade Show, as with years past, featured a variety of different music related businesses and organizations representing, including production studios, instrument manufacturers, internet services, independent promotion and record companies, music press and more. I staffed the Pennsylvania Musician table with Andrea Greene for a short while, until I attended my first seminar of this year’s conference.

That seminar was the “Singer/Songwriter Panel,” exploring issues pertaining to solo musicians and performers. The panel featured three singer/songwriters: Sherri Mullen, Darcie Miner, and Los Angeles-based Katrina Parker. Also on the panel was Noel Ramos from Indiegate.com and Intermixx Magazine, and Ben Arnold, a musician himself and representative of indie record label Sci Fidelity Records. After the panelists each introduced themselves, the seminar became a question-and-answer session, with various musicians asking advice on various aspects of their careers. A lot of good points were covered during the course of the discussion. Advice was given regarding obtaining and registering copyrights; Sherri suggested that it was more cost effective to get a bunch of songs copyrighted at once, rather than one at a time. Another topic that came up was the various ways a musician can earn money besides performing. Ben explained how he worked in a kitchen at a live music venue, earning money for cooking for music folks while rubbing elbows with them. Noel summed it up by suggesting that musicians diversify their revenue streams, and devise various ways to earn income relating to music. He explained that if you have several sources of income, you won’t be left high and dry if one of those revenue streams goes bad; you’ll have others to fall back on. Noel also suggested that earning “stuff” – sponsor-contributed swag, equipment, clothing, food or other supplies – can be as good as earning straight cash, especially if the items you earn save you from actually having to purchase those items. Other suggestions offered during this panel included establishing street-teamers in the towns you play in, who might be willing to sell your merchandise or simply take the tip bucket around; contacting the American Federation of Musicians (AFM) to learn the various possibilities your music may have to earn income; and various internet sites, books and organizations musicians can contact and consult to learn more.

A view of the activity at the Millennium Music Conference Trade Show.

80% of the Singer/Songwriter Panel (left to right): Sherri Mullen, Katrina Parker, Noel Ramos and Darcie Miner.

60% of the Singer/Songwriter Panel (left to right): Noel, Darcie and Ben Arnold.

After this panel, I returned to the Pennsylvania Musician trade show table and networked with more visitors, up until the musical keynote address, presented by Rusted Root’s Michael Glabicki. Michael performed and spoke to the audience for about 25 minutes, performing acoustic renditions of “Send Me On My Way” and “Voodoo;” also some new songs, including “These Weary Bones.” Michael spoke briefly a few times along the way, reflecting on his life on the road, memories of performing in Harrisburg and more. Given the moderate amount of traffic that had been at the trade show during the afternoon, I was a little surprised by the relatively light turnout to see Michael Glabicki’s keynote presentation.

Musical keynote speaker/performer Michael Glabicki.

Again, Michael Glabicki.

One more time, Michael Glabicki.

During the Millennium Trade Show, the performer known as Cookie Cutter Girl plugged in and performed a few tunes as part of the GoGirls.com open mic in front of their table, to promote her own showcase happening at the Crowne Plaza the following night.

Again, Cookie Cutter Girl with her guitarist.

Schmoozing and networking at the Millennium Trade Show: Michael Reich and Sherri Mullen.

Always a regular Millennium Trade Show participant is Fredrico Percussion; this is Fredrico himself, demonstrating one of his congas.

Following Michael’s keynote, I did supper with Pennsylvania Musician editor Robin Noll and Andrea (her daughter) at the downtown Harrisburg Gingerbread Man. I was a bit surprised that this place wasn’t jam-packed at 6 PM on a Friday evening in downtown Harrisburg, but Robin and Andrea reminded me that the recent proliferation of eateries and cafés along the refurbished 2nd Street area provided more competition to established eateries like the G-Man. So we enjoyed our dinner in the relative peace and tranquility of the less than full G-Man. I even did my first wings of Millennium weekend; the G-Man’s wings were the biggest I had encountered in Harrisburg so far, they had meat and the just the right bite, too. Good stuff!

During the past few Millennium Music Conferences, I’ve learned that in general, the downtown Harrisburg showcase venues seem to get the best attendances, while the venues not in the heart of downtown tend not to fare as well. I’ve also observed that the downtown venues tend to feature the more mainstream musical flavors of the day in their showcases; the outskirt venues tend to get the more diverse musical offerings. These factors, coupled with my eagerness to explore new venues I’ve never been to before, prompted me to start my evening showcase adventure at the Marysville Tavern (in Marysville, about 8 miles north of Harrisburg along the west shore of the Susquehanna). With Robin the editor in tow, we arrived a bit early (I mistakenly thought the showcase started at 8, it actually began at 9:30), so we sat outside on the rear deck and took in the view of the Susquehanna. (I’m sure that this venue had a few nervous moments days later when the heavy rains hit Harrisburg.) Eventually, 9:30 arrived, and we headed back inside to observe the evening’s first band, The Hickories.

Based near Washington, D.C., The Hickories featured two ladies and three guys. Both ladies – acoustic guitarist Michelle Volpe and Meghan Sharp – sang. Mike Conner plays electric and acoustic guitars, Dale Hailey drums, and Phil Dennison bass. As their set unfolded, we discovered that The Hickories played upbeat, acoustic-geared folk rock reminiscent of the Indigo Girls and the Mamas and the Papas. Michelle’s and Meghan’s voices and harmonies were stellar as they performed their set of tunes, including several from their EP Lost In Pennsylvania. Tunes such as the opener “I Wish,” “Killers,” “Lost In Pennsylvania,” “Drown,” “1965,” “Under the Sky” and more showed clever writing and composition, along with good song hooks brought to life by the group’s great vocals. The Hickories kept us hooked from start to end, and made it well worth the drive to Marysville to see.

Meghan Sharp and Michelle Volpe of The Hickories.

Again, Meghan and Michelle of The Hickories.

Mike Conner of The Hickories.

Once again, The Hickories.

Another reason I had decided to come to the Marysville Tavern this night was interest in the second band on the bill, North Carolina’s Labeling Deloris, whose members I had met earlier in the day during the Millennium trade show. Soon this group began their set. Like The Hickories before them, Labeling Deloris’ focal point was also a strong female vocal presence in the form of Jennifer Reiff, who quickly demonstrated her charged onstage presentation and powerful, high-ranging vocals. From the get-go, though, it seemed that the soundman couldn't get a handle on how to properly mix Jennifer's voice, or for some reason the equipment wasn't suited to handle her powerhouse voice. Her power and volume appeared to be too much for the system, and she came off distorted, crackly with her voice clipping at its peaks. It was obvious that Jennifer had a set of pipes, but it was a mismatch for the system. Guitarist Jason Rigney, drummer Andrew Boudouris and bassist Brad Rigney complemented Jennifer with a funk-laced, rocking backdrop. I caught a few song titles, such as "Something to Someone" and their closer, "Never Gonna Fail." I was impressed with Labeling Deloris' overall energy and varied styles of attack, as well as Jennifer's enthusiastic and emotional presentation. The results would have been better had the sound issues been figured out. In defense of the sound personnel for Millennium weekend, though, keep in mind that these guys have to run mixes for 4-5 different bands per night over three nights, and likely have worked with few, if any, of these groups before, and have to make adjustments on the fly to accommodate each. A lot of the time, it works, but occasionally, as evidenced here, it doesn't.

From North Carolina, Labeling Deloris.

Again, Labeling Deloris.

Jennifer Reiff of Labeling Deloris.

At this point, per my original game plan, I departed the Marysville Tavern to head back into Harrisburg and catch the remainder of the showcase happening at the Appalachian Brewing Company. We arrived at the ABC just after the Green Onions had performed, and procured some table seats in front of the stage as the evening's next band, Disciples Of Groove, completed their preparations. Of course, no visit to the Appalachian Brewing Company for me would be complete without enjoying some of the native brew, so I ordered up a draft of ABC Mountain Lager – good stuff!

Disciples Of Groove were soon ready to go. This band was incredible! Bassist Rob Smith, drummer David Gardner, singer/guitarist Dan Jost and saxophonist Matt Totora launched into their brand of progressive funk rock, displaying stunning instrumental skills along the way! These guys incorporated varying styles and tempos, and precision solo bursts, into catchy and mesmerizing grooves and melodies. The Disciples Of Groove performed such selections as "Like the Wind," "Chemistry," "Silver Screen," "Deep Disappointment," "Leave Me Alone" and "Too Steep to Step." The group also welcomed a guest guitar player, Chris Harter, up to the stage to perform on a hot and funky read of Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke." Disciples Of Groove were dazzling to watch with their rapidfire fingerwork on their respective instruments, their intricate timing, their overall tightness and fun vibe while putting it all together. Both Robin and I were floored by this set, I definitely hope that I run into this band again sometime!

Rob Smith of Disciples Of Groove.

The Disciples Of Groove.

Dan Jost of Disciples Of Groove.

Matt Totora of Disciples Of Groove.

With special guest Chris Harter (far right), Disciples Of Groove.

One more band remained on this showcase, The Nightcrawlers. These guys and gal had their work cut out for them to follow up the amazing display Disciples Of Groove had just put on; but having witnessed the Nightcrawlers' magic on numerous occasions, I knew that this band had the capability to pull it off. And when they got started, they did just that. With new bassist Mike Dougherty laying down the bottom end, the Nightcrawlers showcased their eclectic, wide-ranging blend of styles on their colorful original song selection, blending elements of rock, jazz, blues, country, worldbeat, Latin and more. Guitarist Noah Figlin put on a remarkable performance as he blazed heated, soulful and tasteful solo work on his frets, while Aeb Byrne peppered the sound with her own smooth keyboard work and uplifting flute solo displays. Drummer Steve Arnold maintained steady beats through it all, powering the Nightcrawlers as they performed such songs as "Desert Song," their popular "African Echo," "Black Hole," "Latin Groove" and "Lover's Test." New man Mike looked at home on the bass, and seemed comfortable with the Nightcrawlers' wide array of sounds. The Appalachian Brewing Company audience, including several of the musicians who had previously performed this night, showed increasing interest and appreciating as the Nightcrawlers' set progressed. And as with the Disciples Of Groove, The Nightcrawlers succeeded in winning some new fans this night, including Robin, who had seen them once previously last November at City Limits, during a set when the sound was overpowering and hampered the group's impact. This night, Chile behind the sound board had it just right, and the Nightcrawlers shined!

Thus closed the second night of Millennium showcases. I was stunned at how quickly this weekend was moving along; the Conference was already two-thirds over! But one day remained, and it would be an interesting one.

The Nightcrawlers kick off their performance at the Appalachian Brewing Company.

Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

New bass player Mike Dougherty and Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

Again, Mike and Noah of The Nightcrawlers.

Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

Noah Figlin and Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers.

Steve Arnold of The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, The Nightcrawlers.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: