· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 1/30/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 14, 2006 

WEEKEND RECAP 1/30/06

(NOTE: Realizing that I have fallen far behind in getting these early 2006 recaps posted, I have decided to limit most of these write-ups through June 2006 to bare-bones accounts of the nights recapped. A few longer writs that had already been completed will still appear here and there, but most of these will be short and sweet so I can get all of this caught up. Thank you for your patience.)

ROCKPAGE BENEFIT JAM 3 @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 1/26/06

After two Hurricanes finales, one final Grimm finale, and a few more gigs that were able to happen because of delays in the transfer of the deed and liquor license, we finally reached the absolute final night of existence for Peter C’s. Within hours, work crews would be arriving to begin renovations for the new owners. The final chance to see live music within this building under the banner of Peter C’s was this night, as the third annual Rockpage Jam would close the book on the venue.

By the time all was said and done, some 26 different Rockpagers (27 if you include Big John at Peter C’s) would partake in the festivities. Three bands would perform, and some jam sessions would ensue.

Kicking off the night was The Vengeance of Carl Lee. Playing only their second show, The Vengeance of Carl Lee performed a set of all original hardcore-flavored metal. Their sound was raw and visceral, but topped with some impressive guitar finesse. Their presentation was volatile and passionate, with frontman Justin Gelvin hard-pressed to confine his vocal rage and motion to the small stagefront area he had to work with. Some of the songs the group performed included “Beneath the Ashes,” “Bullet” “Transcription of Your Eyes” and more. The group battled a few technical issues, but ultimately represented well and received a favorable response from the Peter C’s audience.

The Vengeance Of Carl Lee kicks off the Rockpage Jam.

Again, The Vengeance Of Carl Lee.

More intense metalcore with The Vengeance Of Carl Lee.

Next was One Gun Salute, who played a set of torrid original metal. Singer Dave Moses, guitarist Scott Bush, and the new rhythm section of bassist Keith Reyn and drummer Rob Bonsell showcased several new songs, including “Down,” “Scream” and more. Dave was the maniacal frontman who paced around the front of the stage like a hungry predator stalking prey. Scott showed some fiery leadwork along the way, and the rhythm section of Keith and Rob laid down lethal thunder beneath it all.

One Gun Salute continues the metal onslaught at Peter C’s.

Dave Moses of One Gun Salute.

Rob Bonsell of One Gun Salute.

Again, Dave Moses of One Gun Salute.

Scott Bush of One Gun Salute.

Dave Moses enlists the help of 4 Days Dirty frontman Steve Danfelt during One Gun Salute’s set.

Keith Reyn of One Gun Salute helps keep Peter C’s spellbound by metal.

Again, One Gun Salute.

Jason Straw of House Of Cain studies Scott Bush’s fretboard technique.

The third and final official band to perform was The Flame Sky. The Flame Sky shifted gears with their set of unconventional original songs and eclectic covers. Singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods did original numbers such as “Only In Your Head,” “The Price You Pay,” and new original songs such as “All Right” and the new instrumental “The Creature,.” Their cover selections included Metallica’s “Call of Ktulu,” and a powerful rendition of Iron Maiden’s “Phantom Of The Opera” powered by the dual drum attack of Nate and Felix & the Hurricanes drummer Bob Watters. In front of this large audience and on the occasion of Peter C’s last night in business, The Flame Sky made every note count, and this was one of the most impressive sets I have witnessed from them.

The Flame Sky perform during the Rockpage Jam.

Ed Brinkel of The Flame Sky.

Shawn Shultz of The Flame Sky.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Again, Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

With both Bob Watters and Nate Woods providing the drum thunder on Iron Maiden’s “Phantom of the Opera,” The Flame Sky perform during the Rockpage Jam.

Once again, The Flame Sky.

After The Flame Sky’s set, Hurricane Bob stepped onstage and announced the Rockpagers with the most posts over the past year; Paul “bassist_25” Rainey won spotlight for his posting frequency. Bob then awarded Peter C’s first couple Big John and Jodie K with a special plaque recognizing their contribution to the local music scene over the 15 years the venue has been in business.

“Hurricane” awards “bassist_25” with his award for posting the most messages on Rockpage in the past year.

Bob displays the special award plaque going to Big John and Jodie K.

Big John and Jodie K thank the audience for the years of patronage and entertainment at Peter C’s.

Julia and her main man behind the bar.

With that, the jams began. First, Hurricane Bob and Rob Bonsell dueled on drums for a little while, while other musicians collaborated and figured out what songs they would do for the remainder of the night. Steve Danfelt (4 Days Dirty), Jamie Smith (Beyond Reason), Bob and Rob did a version of Tool’s “Sober.” Steve, Jamie and Rob then continued with an improvisational jam. Then the combination of Steve, Rob, Kevin Siegel (Scream) and Paul Rainey (Bad Daze) collaborated on Weezer’s “Beverly Hills.” After some further negotiations to find common musical ground, the combination of Ron Dalansky (Half Tempted), Ed Brinkel (Flame Sky), Paul, Rob, Kevin and Steve did renditions of Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” and the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” “BadDazeRob” Carolus then joined this grouping of musicians to sing lead on ZZ Top’s “Tush” and Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love.” Next was the grouping of Dwane Edmiston (Wood-n-Strings), Rob, Steve, Brian Cupples (Backdraft/.00 Buck), “Staceman” and Bob did Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” and Willie Dixon’s “Let Me Love You Baby” to close out the night.

As with previous Rockpage Benefit Jams, this one too featured lots of good times, interaction and camaraderie between area musicians and fans; and raised money for the Erin McConnell Fund. (Erin is a local teenager who sustained a horrific leg injury from a parking lot traffic accident this past December.) Thanks once again to all the musicians who made it out on this night, and especially again to Big John and Jodie K for their support of local music. Alas, the final chapter of the Peter C’s era came to a close.

Let the jamming begin! Steve Danfelt (4 Days Dirty), Rob Bonsell (One Gun Salute), Jamie Smith (Beyond Reason) and Bob Watters (Hurricanes) begin to put the jam into the Rockpage Jam.

Again, Steve, Rob, Jamie and Bob.

Steve and Rob are joined by Paul Rainey (Bad Daze) and Kevin Siegel (Scream).

Ed Brinkel (Flame Sky) and Ron Dalansky (Half Tempted) join Rob, Paul and Kevin.

Ed, Paul and Ron.

Rob Carolus (Bad Daze) gets into the act, while Jason Feathers (Flame Sky) takes a closer look.

Again, Ed, Paul and Ron.

The jam session continues with Ed, Paul, Ron and Rob.

A different configuration of musicians continues the jamming; Dwane Edmiston (Wood-n-Strings), Rob Bonsell, Staceman, Brian Cupples (Backdraft) and Hurricane Bob.

More jamming, now with Kevin behind one of the kits.

The Rockpage Jamming continues.

Brian Cupples.

Dwane, Kevin, Steve, Brian and Stace.

Hurricane Bob.

Some Peter C’s regulars (and irregulars), whooping it up one last time.

More friends enjoying some final memories at Peter C’s.

SILVER SUNDAY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/27/06

This Friday night, my ultimate live music destination was Aldo’s, to get caught up with Silver Sunday’s latest musical happenings.

Singer Cathie, guitarist/singer Buck Dickson, bassist Steve Seymore and drummer Todd Harshbarger delivered a driving mixture of 80’s pop, fractured classics and modern funk/rock-flavored original songs, presented with enthusiasm and a touch of campy humor. Never taking themselves too seriously, Silver Sunday kept the audience festive with hits from Veruca Salt, Goldfinger, Britney Spears, Republica, Blondie, Fallout Boy, Joan Jett, an 80’s pop medley and more. The group also dropped in original songs such as “History Repeats,” “Last Chance Lullaby” and “Cathedral Lights” (with Choking Faith singer Jason Mittan helping on vocals); and provided such wacky highlights as the Cathie and Buck duet renditions of Nena’s “99 Redballoons” and Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,’” and the cowbell-heavy treatment of Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend.”

Their show was playful and fun, and the modest-sized Aldo’s audience enjoyed this edition of Silver Sunday’s musical party.

Here is some video from Silver Sunday’s party this night:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV08128.MPG

Silver Sunday, firing up the party at Aldo’s.

Cathie and Steve of Silver Sunday.

Choking Faith frontman Jason Mittan provides some vocal fireworks during Silver Sunday’s performance.

Once again, Silver Sunday with Choking Faith’s Jason Mittan.

Steve Seymore of Silver Sunday.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday, displaying his cowbell technique.

THE BRITISH INVASION @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 1/28/06

I split this Saturday night into a doubleheader. The first half of the doubleheader took me to Burgi’s Roundhouse for the official debut performance of The British Invasion.

Featuring former Front members Bob Gates on lead vocals and Harold Hayford on keys, former Xeno bandmates Rick Wertz on guitar and Beau Saller on drums, and bassist Brian Jones (who played with Beau in The Convicted, dating back to the late 60’s), The British Invasion played what the band name suggested - British invasion-era hits. As their set unfolded, The British Invasion did numbers from Spencer Davis Group, The Zombies, The Tremeloes and the Rolling Stones before revealing an unexpected twist. This wasn’t merely a British oldies act, and they weren't limiting their British repertoire to just the 60's invasion years; they sprinkled in 60's and 70’s British rock classics as well. They broke out renditions of Led Zeppelin's Thank You” and Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath,” before contnuing with numbers from The Kinks, Status Quo, Herman’s Hermits, Dave Clark Five, the Yardbirds, and of course, to finish the first set - the Beatles.

Not unexpected given the experience and talent level of these musicians, The British Invasion did their homework. Their arrangements, musicianship and vocals convincingly captured the sound and style of the original hits. And along the way, Bob dropped in occasional historical factoids about the British invasion groups; it wasn’t just rock’n’roll, it was educational!. And it wasn’t lost on the packed house Burgi’s crowd; these folks were cheering louder and louder with each tune.

But British Invasion had only just begun, and their second set would bring this band’s full musical firepower to bear. That was apparent when the opening notes sounded to the set’s first song, The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again!” This tune brought Burgi’s audience to full attention, and instantly filled the dance floor. Next was Uriah Heep’s “Stealin,’” and Rick fronting the group on Procol Harum’s “Whiter Shade of Pale.” After the Beatles double-shot of “Magical Mystery Tour” and “With A Little Help From My Friends,” The British Invasion cheated a little bit, breaking out two British-sounding hits from the Beau Brummels (an American mid-60’s answer to the British Invasion), doing “Just A Little” and Laugh Laugh” (it takes a Professor to notice these things, Twisted Evil) before returning to the Rolling Stones catalog for “The Last Time.” Capping the second set was Deep Purple’s “Highway Star;” this would have been an absolute showstopper, but gremlins invaded Rick’s floor pedal set up, and he was not able to blaze the Ritchie Blackmore guitar pyrotechnics. Oh well, first nights will have these snafus from time to time...

Technical glitches notwithstanding, I was blown away by what I was seeing from The British Invasion so far. Not only were these musicians capturing the sound of British invasion rock, but they were also tackling some of the more epic compositions of the genre; definitely not a band resting on their laurels!

There was still more to come. The British Invasion opened their third set with...Pink Floyd. Dark Side Of The Moon-era Pink Floyd, as the group performed “Time.” Incredible! The group then returned to the 60’s for Dave Clark Five’s “Glad All Over,” the Zombies’ “She’s Not There” and Rolling Stones’ “Street Fighting Man.”

I wanted to stick around to see what other surprises The British Invasion had in store, but I had planned to take in a live music doubleheader this night, and I reluctantly made my way to the door to exit Burgi’s. The performance I witnessed from the British Invasion had been excellent so far; I just hoped that the performance I was leaving Burgi’s to go see wouldn’t make me regret leaving this one...

Making their Burgi’s debut, The British Invasion.

Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Again, Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Brian Jones of The British Invasion.

Once again, The British Invasion.

Bob Gates and Brian Jones of The British Invasion.

Again, Brian Jones of The British Invasion.

Once again, Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Once again, The British Invasion.

From a different angle, The British Invasion.

Harold Hayford of The British Invasion.

One more time, The British Invasion.

COINMONSTER @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA (UNDERGROUND TV KATHY’S BIRTHDAY PARTY) 1/28/06

From Burgi’s, I headed up the road to City Limits, where The Underground Television was celebrating co-host Kathy’s birthday with a three-band gala. I had missed the first two thirds of that tripleheader, The Marauders and The Nightcrawlers, so I could take in the previously-reviewed British Invasion debut performance at Burgi’s. But it was a calculated move on my part; I knew I would likely have more opportunities to see The Marauders and The Nightcrawlers in the weeks and months ahead. But for the third band on the bill, New Castle’s Coinmonster, local appearances are usually few and far between, so I didn’t want to miss this adventurous trio while they were in town.

And shortly into their performance, I certainly wasn’t regretting leaving Burgi’s to come see Coinmonster; these guys also were amazing, in a completely different way! Coinmonster again demonstrated that they are some of the most technically-gifted musicians on the planet, as they fired through their set of progressive, heavy rocking sounds. Singer/guitarist Jon Reider, drummer David Galazia and bassist Rick Stoner again demonstrated their knack for tricky and complex, multi-speed song arrangements, performed with clockwork accuracy and precision execution. Coinmonster mixed new and old material, and I only caught a few song titles - “Fat Black,” “There Should Be A Test,” their oldie-but-goodie “Low Profile Car” (already twelve years old, from their 1994 CD Guido El Sorrio) and more. They also broke out a surprise, a stunning update of a Deep Purple lost classic, “Stomrbringer!” Coinmonster was so amazingly tight and together, it was easy to conclude that they were somehow telepathically connected!

As my own jaw again dropped to the floor in amazement of this trio, I noted that I wasn’t alone - many other fans in front of the stage were equally amazed at the musical spectacle that was Coinmonster. Simply incredible.

I was again glad to be able to witness Coinmonster do what they do. And hopefully, given the large crowd and rousing ressponse they received this night, we won’t have to wait too long for Coinmonster to pay another visit to this neck of the woods. Whenever they do, do not bypass this band - you will be amazed!

David Galazia of Coinmonster.

Rick Stoner of Coinmonster.

Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Again, Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Again, Rick Stoner of Coinmonster.

Rick Stoner and David Galazia of Coinmonster.

Again, David Galazia of Coinmonster.

Coinmonster.

Once again, Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Once again, Rick Stoner of Coinmonster.

Showing precision guitar work, Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

After swapping instruments and now playing bass, Jon Reider of Coinmonster.

Stunned by Coinmonster? Drunk? Or both?

Because, after all, it was her birthday…Kathy from the Underground TV.

HAIR FORCE ONE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/29/06

My weekend concluded at Pellegrine’s, where Hair Force One was making a rare appearance.

Attendance was light at Pelly’s this night, likely due to a multi-band benefit show happening at the White Lady Tavern up the Buckhorn this night. Due to Q94 “Backyard Rocker” duties, I arrived fairly late at Pelly’s, and only got to catch most of Hair Force One’s last set. Although not a huge crowd, the Pelly’s crowd was responsive to Hair Force One’s 80’s hair-band sounds, and a number of folks grooved on the dance floor to the group’s renditions of tunes from Twisted Sister, Cinderella, Warrant, Whitesnake, Dio, Faster Pussycat, AC/DC and more. Hair Force One generated enough of a party that the Pelly’s fans wanted more at the end of the night; the group responded with Skid Row’s “Youth Gone Wild.”

It was a crunchy end to the weekend, and as expected, a headbanging good time.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: