· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/25/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/25/06

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/20/06

As I stopped by City Limits to conduct some magazine-related business with main man Claudio, I caught a few songs from Dustin Burley’s weekly Wednesday show.

Again, Dustin provided an eclectic selection of tunes while I was there; doing renditions of Oasis’ “Wonderwall,” The Doors’ “The End,” Nirvana’s “Rape Me” and “In Bloom,” Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” Bob Dylan’s “The Times They Are A Changin’” and Stone Temple Pilots’ “Interstate Love Song.” Dustin performed them all in his own distinct, improvisational style, as a handful of observers watched and cheered. All was well on a quiet Wednesday night at City Limits…

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 9/21/06

After putting in a late night at the office, I headed to Al’s Tavern for a bite to eat and some live music courtesy of Grade E.

As far as the bite to eat, I followed Grade E bassman Mike Stanley’s recommendation from the last time I had seen Grade E there; and tried “Al’s Hooter.” The man was right, this was a sandwich! Al’s Hooter is the closest thing to a Pittsburgh Primanti Brothers sandwich I’ve experienced here in the ‘Toona – good stuff!

The band was good stuff as well, as Mike, guitarist/singer Chris Vipond and drummer Todd Harshbarger funked, grooved and jammed nearly nonstop til the end of the night. While I was there, Grade E segued their way through renditions of the Beastie Boys’ “No Sleep Til Brooklyn,” G. Love & Special Sauce’s “Stepping Stones,” House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” plus original songs such as “End,” “Lucy,” “Mined” and more. The grooves were steady and feisty, and Grade E kept the Al’s Tavern audience attentive and cheering throughout.

Good grooves, good food, and Chris telling a few stories along the way…not a bad way to finish a Thursday evening!

BLUE NUMBER NINE @ CURTIN MALL, ALTOONA 9/22/06

It promised to be a busy and eventful weekend in the Blair County part of the world. In Tipton, Delgrosso's Park's annual Harvestfest marked the official transition from summer into fall, and would feature some live band entertainment both days. And Altoona's first-ever motorcycle rally, Roar In The Mountains, was taking place, with a number of events involving live music around the area. One such Roar In The Mountains-related event was an encore presentation of the Blair County Arts Foundation's jazz concert series at downtown Altoona's Curtin Mall, featuring musical entertainment from Jersey City, New Jersey's Blue Number Nine.

Blue Number Nine had two different faces onstage since their last Altoona appearance back in July. Guitarist Luca Tozzi was leaving the band, and filling in for him this night was B.D. Lenz, an independent jazz recording artist himself. And one of the backing singers was different; joining Camari Frame this time was Evie Nagy.

But the music was still fine! I arrived just as the band was finishing their first set with their upbeat dance-inducing original song "Love the Beat," so I spent the intermission procuring edibles from the Clem's Ribs stand in the rear of the Curtin Mall plaza. A good-sized crowd was present, including a few folks in biking leathers and chaps.

After the intermission, Blue Number Nine continued with their blend of pop, funk, soul, blues and jazz-flavored sounds, performing original songs and select favorites. The originals included "Sweet Sugar Honey," "Make Believe," "The Moment I Saw the Sun," "What Is Real," "You'll Know What to Do" and more. The group also performed renditions of Stephen Stills' "Love the One You're With," the Camari-fronted version of Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," Steve Winwood's "Higher Love" (This band definitely likes to cover artists named Steve!), and Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally." Blue Number Nine's performance was bright and cheerful, and executed with polished, top-notch musicianship. Lead singer Stefanie Seskin, Camari and Evie displayed great voices and harmonies, with Stefanie frequently chiming in on flute and briefing the audience on what inspired some of her original song compositions. B.D. showed some excellent and tasteful guitar work along the way, and the rhythm section of drummer Jack Gourdine II and bassist Marco Accattatis maintained steady and tight grooves. Folks got up and danced as the group's set progressed, culminating in a strong and festive finish with Blue Number Nine's upbeat closer, "Coming Back Human."

Once again, Blue Number Nine was the centerpiece of an outdoor good time in Altoona, and their appearance during Roar In The Mouintains weekend likely won the group some new fans.

Blue Number Nine generates another party at downtown Altoona’s Curtin Mall during Roar In The Mountains weekend.

Stefanie Seskin, Camari Frame, Marco Accattatis and Evie Nagy of Blue Number Nine.

Hired gun guitarist B.D. Lenz of Blue Number Nine.

Jack Gourdine II and Marco Accattatis of Blue Number Nine.

Marco Accattatis of Blue Number Nine brings his party out to the audience.

Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

Again, Marco Accattatis of Blue Number Nine.

Camari Frame and Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

Marco Accattatis and Jack Gourdine II of Blue Number Nine.

Again, Stefanie, Camari and Evie of Blue Number Nine.

Once again, the ladies of Blue Number Nine.

Blue Number Nine and a happy Altoona audience.

More happy audience members during Blue Number Nine’s performance.

NINETAIL/FEDUP @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/22/06

The musical flavor in my Friday evening would take a drastic turn, from jazz- and funk-flavored pop to bone-jarring metal, as I headed to City Limits for another Roar In The Mountains shindig at City Limits, featuring Ninetail and FedUP.

There were already a few bikes in the parking lot as I arrived shortly before the show started, and a few bikers and other fans were on hand to take in the heavy rocking proceedings.

Out of a sampled movie intro, Ninetail opened the evening with a scathing salvo of original cyber metal, showcasing numerous tracks from their latest CD, The Process Of Conversion. Soon-to-be-leaving keyboard/sample man Jerad Gohn set the stage for many of Ninetail's assaults, with an ever-varying electronic backdrop that ranged from terse keyboard interludes to well-placed samples, digital effects and more. These electronic passages set the tone and mood, and flavored and accented Ninetail's attack along the way. The rest of the instrumental attack from guitarists Don Belch and Chris Evan, bassist Griff and drummer Max Melton, was sharp and explosive, setting the volatile and pounding vehicle for frontman J. William Heitmann to unleash his feral vocal bark. Some of the assaults that Ninetail unleashed upon thge City Limits audience included "Retribution," "Constrict," "Forgive Me," "Ruination Theory," "Emptiness Pill," "The Process Of Conversion," "The United Hate Of America" and more. The overall effect was sharp and brutal, suggesting Pantera with a cyber soul. It was another impressive display from Ninetail, and energized the City Limits crowd.

Ninetail kicks off the metal maelstrom at City Limits.

J. William Heitmann of Ninetail.

Once again, Ninetail brings their cyber-metal storm to City Limits.

Griff and Don Belch of Ninetail.

Chris Evan of Ninetail.

Jerad Gohn of Ninetail.

Ninetail draws a legion of fans to the stage.

Don Belch of Ninetail.

An impressive line of bikes outside of City Limits.

FedUP soon continued the maelstrom in their own unique way. Lead throat Brian Stotler, guitarist Dave Charlton, bassist Don Singer and drummer Matt Popp thundered forth their set of punk-infused metal originals, featuring songs from their recently-issued EP and some newer songs. Don, Matt and Dave generated a turbulent, rumbling wall of sound, setting the backdrop for Brian to growl and snarl out his cutting lyrics. Among the songs FedUP performed this night were "My Will Is Strong," "In The Darkness," "Out Of My Way," "Lay Me Down to Die," "Useless," "Jihad," and several newer assaults as well. FedUP's malevolent motorpsycho rumble succeeded in getting some folks up on the dance floor and grooving along, and their set successfully slammed the lid on the evening.

Although City Limits never got especially packed this night, those folks who were in attendance seemed to appreciate the display of metal arts put forth by Ninetail and FedUP, as both bands did their parts to put further roar in the mountains this weekend.

Brian Stotler of FedUP.

FedUP brings their own roar in the mountains.

Dave Charlton of FedUP.

Again, Brian Stotler of FedUP.

Once again, FedUP.

Matt Popp of FedUP.

Don Fisher of FedUP.

Once again, FedUP.

Brian Stotler of FedUP with some dance floor fans.

Again, Don Fisher of FedUP.

One more time, Brian Stotler of FedUP.

MIDNIGHT RODEO @ HARVESTFEST, DELGROSSO’S PARK, TIPTON 9/23/06

Besides Roar In The Mountains this weekend, the annual Harvestfest was taking place at Delgrosso's Park in Tipton. The musical entertainment on Harvestfest's first day was being provided by Bedford County-based country-rock favorites Midnight Rodeo.

I arrived early enough to procure some foodstuffs and locate a good vantage point under one of the food pavilions to take in Midnight Rodeo's first of two performances. Singer Rick Zimmerman, Jr., guitarist Mark Diehl, bassist Roy Corle, keyboardist Terry Feathers and drummer Dana Corle started off their performance with their title song "Midnight Rodeo," commencing a selection of original country and rock'n'roll songs and select favorites. The group played a few songs from their latest album, Saturday Night!, including the tropical-flavored "Get Away" and the witty "What Goes Around Comes Around." They also did some songs from their first CD, including the slow song 'belly-rubber' "You're In My Life.” They mixed in such country selections as Jason Aldean’s “Hick Town,” Big & Rich’s “Love Train,” Rascal Flatts’ “Take A Chance With Me” and more. And they included a vintage rock’n’roll medley which included Human Beinz’ “Nobody But Me” and Wilson Pickett’s “In The Midnight Hour.” Their performance was enthusiastic and sharp throughout, with tight execution from the band, topped by Rick’s friendly and energetic presentation. Their set ended with Dwight Yoakum’s “Fast As You,” where Rick demonstrated some fancy footwork as he danced back and forth on the stage.

Although my initial game plan was to head out to Lakemont Park to see Felix & the Hurricanes perform at a special Roar In The Mountains Wing-Off, I wound up taking in more sights around Delgrosso’s Park during Harvestfest, and ended up staying to see Midnight Rodeo’s nightcap performance as well. The group did a different song list for the most part, with the only repeated tunes being “Get Away” and “Fast As You,” which again gave Rick an opportunity to kick up his heels and show off some fancy stepping. From their CD they opened the set with the title song Saturday Night!, and did “Rodeo Girls” as well, plus from their first album they did “Daddy’s Little Boy.” They did more country favorites, such as Montgomery Gentry’s “If It’s The Last Thing I Do,” Rascal Flatts’ “Fast Cars and Freedom” and Big & Rich’s “Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy;” and they also did another rock’n’roll medley, this time featuring Mitch Ryder’s “Devil With The Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly” and Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally.” Again the mood was charged and the performance tight, as Midnight Rodeo brought their ‘A’ game and were in excellent form throughout the set. Mark’s guitar leads were clean and on the mark, and Rick and the group again displayed good voices and crisp harmonies.

Midnight Rodeo made their opportunity on the Delgrosso’s Park main stage count, and delivered two top-quality sets that kept the audiences happy. Their ten years together showed, as the group performed two tight and confident performances.

Mark Diehl of Midnight Rodeo.

Midnight Rodeo entertains at Delgrosso’s Park’s annual Harvestfest.

Again, Midnight Rodeo.

Rick Zimmerman Jr. of Midnight Rodeo.

Once again, Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Mark Diehl of Midnight Rodeo.

Roy Corle of Midnight Rodeo.

Terry Feathers of Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Terry Feathers of Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Rick Zimmerman, Jr. of Midnight Rodeo.

Again, Midnight Rodeo.

Rick Zimmerman, Jr. of Midnight Rodeo shows off some of his fancy footwork.\

Rick busts some more dance moves as his bandmates keep playing.

Mark Diehl and Roy Corle of Midnight Rodeo.

Rick Zimmerman, Jr. of Midnight Rodeo greets fans during the group’s performance.

Again an added attraction at this year’s Harvestfest, America held its Civil War.

The Confederates return fire.

The Union forces advance.

Uh oh! The drummer got killed!

ANGEL BLUE & THE PROPHETS @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 9/23/06

It was a busy Saturday night in the 'Toona, with more Roar In The Mountains-related shows and activities going on. I decided, though, to start out by taking in the first area appearance of Pittsburgh's Angel Blue & the Prophets, making their debut at Burgi's Roundhouse.

I arrived and set up shop prior to the start of Angel Blue & the Prophets’ first set. Burgi’s had a respectable showing of people present; not a packed house, but enough of a group to give the band an audience. Six members strong, the Prophets kicked off the set with a bluesy instrumental, which led to the eventual introduction of Angel Blue, who led the group on a rendition of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Born On The Bayou.” The group gearshifted into a funky read of Bill Withers’ “Use Me,” before doing one of their hard-driving bluesy original songs, “I’m Guilty.” Next was a bluesified version of the Beatles’ “Come Together,” followed by Dusty Springfield’s “Son of a Preacher Man.” It was quickly apparent that Angel Blue had the gift; she could belt out some voice! She and her band continued their fiery display with Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason,” followed by Robert Johnson’s “Crossroads,” a version of the Rolling Stones’ “Miss You” and a slow blues number to end the set.

So far, very impressive! As previously mentioned, Angel Blue – a.k.a. Angela D’Ambrosio – demonstrated a powerful and soulful set of pipes, and sang out with confidence, passion and gusto. She was not shy on the microphone, and she sold every word she sang with full intensity and emotion. Her bandmates, the Prophets, weren’t shabby, either – Jeff Connors on organ, Derek Toa on lead guitar, the horn section of sax man Derek Redd and trombone player Carl King, and the tight rhythm section of bassist Gary Ripper and drummer Scott McLean were all talented and tight, spicing up the mix with tasty solo fireworks and fills along the way. I was definitely liking what I was hearing!

More was on the way. Angel Blue & the Prophets soon commenced their second set. I didn’t recognize the first song, but drummer Scott sang lead on it, as the band warmed up before Angel Blue’s return to the stage. Upon her return, she and the group did two original numbers from their CD, Bottom of the Bottle Blues, “Jonny McGaster” and “Short Chain.” The group then broke out a feisty rendition of Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition,” followed by a cover of a song by fellow Pittsburgh R&B favorite Billy Price, “Can I Change My Mind.” Next was another highlight, Angel Blue’s no-nonsense read of Aretha Franklin’s “Chain Of Fools,” before the group rock and rolled with Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” and Chuck Berry’s “Johnny B. Goode.”

I wanted to stick around for more of Angel Blue & the Prophets, but duty called and I had another show I wanted to cover this Saturday night. But what I saw of Angel Blue & the Prophets was excellent, and provided ample proof that this was indeed another hot Pittsburgh blues name well worth making the effort to see should they head out Burgi’s way again.

Group namesake Angel Blue of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Derek Redd and Carl King of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Derek Toa of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Derek Toa, Derek Redd and Carl King of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Jeff Connors of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Again, Jeff Connors of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

DRAGON FIRE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/23/06

That other show on my agenda for this night was up the road at City Limits, where The Underground Television was presenting a Roar In the Mountains metal blowout party, featuring The Opposition, 4 Days Dirty and Dragon Fire. City Limits’ parking lot was jammed to capacity with a huge army of motorcycles and cars, indicating that it was likely a zoo inside…

I missed the first two bands, Opposition and 4 Days Dirty; but conceded that likelihood when I planned out the evening. It was likely that I would see both of these groups again in the short term. I definitely wanted to see Dragon Fire, though, as this group’s appearances were fewer and farther between. I arrived relatively late in their set, though, but observed for the final 20 minutes as frontman “Robo” Ron Riley, guitarist (and Underground TV co-host) Chris Peters, bassist Eric Shumac and drummer Steve Stuckey throttled a jam-packed house with scathing original metal assaults such as “Unstoppable” and their famous Farm Club television hit “Cutting Dead Weight,” before ending the night with their monstrous read of Green Jello’s “3 Little Pigs.” What I saw of it was appropriately brutal and powerful, and the jam-packed crowd on the floor in front of the stage was digging it all.

I didn't know how some of the other Roar In The Mountains events did in terms of attendance, but at least bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts with a taste for metal were definitely happy this weekend, thanks to these shows at City Limits.

Eric Shumac and Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

Dragon Fire rocks a packed house at City Limits.

“Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

Once again, Dragon Fire, tearing it up onstage at City Limits.

Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

Again, “Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire.

Again, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

One more time, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

THE UPTOWN BAND @ HARVESTFEST, DELGROSSO’S PARK, TIPTON 9/24/06

I headed back to Delgrosso's Park for the second day of Harvestfest. The scheduled entertainment on the Delgrosso's Park main stage this day was The Uptown Band.

Again upon my arrival, I took in some foodstuffs from the food pavilion area, and met up with the Right Honorable Guv'nor Jesse. We then headed to the stage to find out what the Uptown Band was all about.

It only took a few moments to realize that while the Uptown Band itself was a new name, a few of the musicians on the stage I had seen before. From Reading, the Uptown Band had actually formed from the ashes of Burning House, who I had seen last year at Bedford's Fall Foliage Festival. Singer/sax player Erich Cawalla, guitarist Mike Schwartz and keyboard player Rick Wiltrout are all Burning House alumni; joined by Erich's fiance, Jenifer Kinder, bassist Lamont Bates, trumpet player Robin Church and drummer Omer Godinet.

The Uptown Band proceeded to light it up on the Delgrosso's Park stage with a crisp mixture of classic and current pop, rock, and soul flavors. Starting with Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally" to melt the ice with the audience, the Uptown Band featured a variety of sounds, with nearly every song showcasing a different member or aspect of the band. "Wipe Out" put the spotlight on drummer Omer, while Santana's "Smooth" spotlighted Mike's singing and guitar talents. Erich and Jen shared lead vocal duties on Big & Rich's "Save A Horse, Ride a Cowboy," before Erich demonstrated his incredible falsetto on Eddie Holman's "Hey There Lonely Girl." Erich also demonstrated some monstrous skills on saxophone, on renditions of Average White Band's "Pick Up the Pieces" and Santana's "Europa." Jenifer also had a rangeful and potent voice, and demonstrated her amazing vocal talents on the Joss Stone arrangement of Grand Funk Railroad's "Some Kind Of Wonderful" and Labelle's "Lady Marmalade." The Uptown Band's entire set rode at a constant high, with the group's dazzling musicianship and friendly onstage personality keeping the audience riveted. They saved the best for last, however. First, starting with a "Sanford & Son" theme intro, the group launched into Sly & the Family Stone's "Dance to the Music," before finishing strong with a powerful rendition of Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4," with the emphasis on Erich and Robin's smoking horn talents.

Jesse and I stood and watched, simply amazed at the Uptown Band’s abundance of talent and musicianship. These guys and gal delivered a top quality, professional caliber show; and I highly recommend catching this band’s performance if they return to this neck of the woods in the future.

The Uptown Band brings their spirited performance to Harvestfest.

Mike Schwartz of The Uptown Band.

Robin Church and Erich Cawalla of The Uptown Band.

Lamont Bates of The Uptown Band.

The Uptown Band.

Jenifer Kinder of The Uptown Band.

Again, Jenifer Kinder of The Uptown Band.

Erich Cawalla and Jenifer Kinder of The Uptown Band.

Once again, Erich and Jenifer of The Uptown Band.

Mike Schwartz and Lamont Bates of The Uptown Band.

Showing off some hot sax skills, Erich Cawalla of The Uptown Band.

AGONY HILL @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/24/06

A busy weekend came to a close for me at Pellegrine’s, with New York rockers Agony Hill providing the tunes.

Admittedly, I was a little burned out from all the other musical activity earlier in the weekend, and spent most of this Sunday night watching Guv’nor Jesse’s “DVD of the week” in the rear portion of Pelly’s, by the entrance. (I didn’t note what the DVD was, must have been good.)

But I did make a few trips out front to the stage area to check in with Agony Hill, who appeared to have a good party going on with the mid-sized Pelly’s crowd. The group delivered a high-energy mixture of favorites from such sources as Sublime, Seven Mary Three, Johnny Cash, Harvey Danger, Soft Cell, Good Charlotte, Ramones, The Clash, House Of Pain and more. They generated enough of a party that by night’s end, the crowd demanded an encore, prompting Agony Hill to finish the night with Motley Crue’s “Girls Girls Girls.”

In all, from what I got to see of it, a good rocking blowout to end Roar In The Mountains weekend.

JP’S HAIKU

Roar In The Mountains
Harvestfest in the Valley
JP busy guy

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1