· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/4/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Mar 16, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/4/06

MATT DAY @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/28/06

After area party rockers In went belly-up several months ago, guitarist Matt Day has been making the rounds as a solo artist. Matt hadn’t brought his solo performance to the Altoona area yet until this night, when Pellegrine’s decided to give him a try on a Tuesday night. I headed there to have a look.

Not surprisingly for a Tuesday night, Pellegrine's was sparsely populated, and Matt's audience amounted to nyself, Big Jim, Pelly's waitress staff and a few regulars sitting back at the bar. Matt took it all in stride as he proceeded to perform a wide-ranging acoustic selection spanning classic and modern rock, pop, country and more. He was competent through all of it; he obviously still had the guitar skills, and even on acoustic found enough ways to make those skills shine. But this solo acoustic setting revealed that Matt could sing as well, demonstrating a strong, rangeful and gutsy voice.

As stated, Matt did a wide range of material. During the first set we saw, Matt performed songs from The Police, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, Bon Jovi, Fuel, Grand Funk Railroad, Prince, Eve 6, Green Day, James, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond and more. Some of the highlights included his stellar and convincing rendition of Alice In Chains' "Rooster," a surprise version of Prince's "Raspberry Beret," and his deeper and more resonant vocal on Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline." Matt also did a medley which strung together songs from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steve Miller Band, Bryan Adams, Buggles and Rick Springfield.

Matt's nightcap provided more highlights and surprises. Matt's versatile setlist jumped between songs by Blondie, Harry Chapin, Leadbelly, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Eagles, Hank Williams Jr., Bob Dylan, Jane's Addiction, Buckcherry, Goldfinger and more. Highlights and surprises this time around included his smooth transition from Harry Chapin's "Cat's In The Cradle" into Leadbelly/Ram Jam's "Black Betty," Matt breaking out the kazoo on Bob Dylan's "Rainy Day Women 12 & 35," competent acoustic takes on Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing" and Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch," and another excellent Alice In Chains remake, "No Excuses." Matt also introduced an original song toward's set's end, "Love Roulette."

What we saw from Matt Day was very good. I was again impressed with his variety, versatility, range and smoothness. He maintained a tight pace, and kept the show smoothly moving through his variety of sounds. Although he didn't have much crowd to play for this night, the few of us that were in the house liked what we saw; the Pelly's wait staff definitely were liking it, cheering and yelling out requests along the way.

This evening demonstrated why Matt's solo acoustic show has been becoming more popular in the area. Hopefully Matt can land some steady gigs locally and build a fan base; if you have a chance to catch his solo show, do so – you won't be disappointed!

Matt Day acoustic at Pellegrine's.

Again, Matt Day.

OPEN MIC/JAM NIGHT @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 11/29/06

Although I didn’t put in an exceptionally late night in the workplace this Wednesday night, I finished a little too late to attempt to catch the last few minutes of Mt. City Grass at the Hitching Post. So I decided to take care of supper needs first, heading to Pellegrine’s for their Wednesday pizza night. I was again dismayed to find that country karaoke was again taking place at Pelly’s this night. I decided to brave the savage musical conditions to eat a few slices of pizza. It was all I could do to hold down my meal while listening to the horrendous attempts at country singing in the main band room. At one point, I was hoping the dog law enforcement people might show up, because one elderly gentleman’s attempts at singing resembled a bloodhound being beaten savagely. Another woman’s attempt at vocalizing made me question whether she was actually singing or experiencing childbirth. I did my best to hastily consume my pizza, pay my bill and leave, enough was enough!

I was hopeful that my next destination might offer more tasteful sounds for the ear. I was attending the biweekly Open Mic and Jam Night at The Bar. This would be my second time at this event, and I was curious to see what musical personalities showed up, and what directions this week’s musical excursions were venturing in.

It was a relaxed and casual evening at The Bar, not heavily crowded, but with a few musicians partaking in the open mic opportunity afforded them by organizers Tim Klock and Chuck Cox. I soon learned that it was a special occasion this night, the first anniversary of the bi-weekly Wednesday Open Mic night, started in November of last year after Tim and Chuck had first visited The Bar because an “Open Mike” was advertised…It turned out that “Open Mike” was the nickname of a solo performer, and not the expected open microphone jam session. So Tim and Chuck approached The Bar’s ownership at the time, and were given the go-ahead to start an actual “Open mic” night. It was successful, and has happened every other Wednesday night since.

There were a few familiar faces on hand this night, including "songsmith" John Stevens with his trusty dobro, Tim's brother, Dan Klock, as well as a few new faces I didn't recognize, such as Randy on harmonica and Brandon Bell on guitar. I had barely sat down with my brew and heard my first song, before I received an unexpected honor from the man in charge.Tim Klock awarded me one of his own chainsaw-carved "Ugg Awards," awarded during each Open Mic night to somebody who contributes to that week's festivities. Although I didn't actually contribute to anything onstage, Tim bestowed me with the honor for doing what I do for local live music. Thanks much Tim and all the musicians!

I proceeded to watch as the music unfolded onstage for the remainder of this night. Sounds ranged from old-timey folk and bluegrass to blues, honky tonk and rock'n'roll. Although various combinations of the aforementioned musicians and more did a number of songs I didn't readily recognize, there were also versions of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Ballad Of Curtis Loew" and "Tuesday's Gone," Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" into Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," Charlie Daniels' "Long Haired Country Boy," Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls," a Blues Traveler jam and more. It was fun and laid-back. Some of the attempted songs sounded better than others, but it was an open mic setting, and it didn't have to be perfect. It just had to be musicians getting together and playing common tunes for the sake of playing music, and as such, it was just fine. I enjoyed it enough that I know I'll be back for more!

Open Mic Night at The Bar celebrates its first anniversary.

Open Mic founder/main man Tim Klock, Joe and John Stevens get their jam on.

Open Mic Night's other founder, Chuck Cox, with Randy on harmonica.

BEYOND REASON @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/1/06

My destination this night was The Hitching Post, to check in on Beyond Reason. Would the curse of JP wreak havoc on bassman Jamie Smith again? Would he again be stricken with a head cold upon my arrival?

The curse was broken this night; I learned shortly after my arrival that Jamie was not sick. But Beyond Reason was not operating at full strength regardless. Guitarist Tom "Urbs" Urbain couldn't be with the group this night due to family matters, so they were operating as a trio; Jamie, singer/guitarist Dan Myers II and drummer/singer Chris Myers. And these guys were really roughing it this night - not only was "Urbs" not present, but beer and cigarette wench Lisa was not in the house either!

Although shorthanded, the party must go on, and Beyond Reason still was able to deliver the rock'n'roll. Their second set began with an original tune, “The Ballad of Johnny.” The group quickly drew a few dancers onto the small Hitching Post dance floor with John Mellencamp’s “Authority Song,” and kept the party going with tunes from Chuck Berry, Georgia Satellites, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band, and an uptempo spin on Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game.” Guest Phil Wagner then joined the group onstage to play additional guitar on Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny,” and stuck around to help sing the next song, Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69.” As Jamie then fronted the group on White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army,” Lisa the beer wench finally made her entrance. The group continued with another original tune, the punk-infused “Deeper In Sin,” followed by the three-song medley combo of the Romantics’ “What I Like About You,” Neil Diamond’s “Cherry Baby” and John Mellencamp’s “R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.” Renditions of Green Day’s “Basket Case,” Gin Blossoms’ “Hey Jealousy” and Bowling For Soup’s “1985” then concluded the set.

This stripped-down edition of Beyond Reason did a good job thus far. The group's performance was loose and enthusiastic; they kept the energy level constant and gave the dance floor participants good reason to cut the rug. Their vocal harmonies were working well also, especially on Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See.”

The rock’n’roll party soon resumed, as Beyond Reason commenced their nightcap set with Michael Jackson’s “Beat It,” followed by Cracker’s “What the World Needs Now.” The group continued with favorites from Steppenwolf, War, Black Crowes and Robert Johnson/Cream’s “Crossroads,” before they introduced another new original song, the fast rocker “Misspent Life.” Jamie then sang lead on Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain,” before Beyond Reason continued with favorites from the Proclaimers, Alice Cooper, Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and to close the set, the Animals’ “We Gotta Get Out of this Place.” But when the festive Hitching Post revelers demanded one more song, Beyond Reason gave them one more, a tasty edition of Dobie Gray’s “Drift Away.”

Beyond Reason got it done, delivering good-time, bare-knuckles rock'n'roll. They weren’t fancy or frilly, they played the tunes and got the people cheering and/or dancing. They gave the Post a rock’n’roll party, and fun times on a Friday night.

Operating as a trio this night, Beyond Reason.

Dan Myers II of Beyond Reason.

Chris Myers of Beyond Reason.

There's a bass player under that mop; Jamie Smith of Beyond Reason.

There he is! Jamie Smith of Beyond Reason.

Again, Chris Myers of Beyond Reason.

Taking it to the limit, Beyond Reason.

THE MYSTIC KNIGHTS @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 12/2/06

I decided to do a unique Pittsburgh music doubleheader this night, starting with some Steel City blues at Burgi’s, courtesy of the Mystic Knights.

Entertaining audiences for over 20 years, the current edition of the Mystic Knights features founding member, keyboardist and singer Gil Snyder, guitarist and singer Craig King, bassist Jeff Ingersoll and drummer Joe Cunningham. The Knights played a tasty blend of hard-driving blues and soul. Their first set featured a few original numbers, plus renditions of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Cold Shot” and “Crossfire,” Muddy Waters’ “Honey Bee,” Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” (which triggered some early dance floor activity), Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine,” Big Bill Broonzy’s “Key to the Highway” and more. They were quite good, with Gil and Craig both demonstrating clear and soulful voices and dazzling skills on their respective instruments.

The Knights continued the tasty sounds in the second set, opening with a feisty read of Chuck Berry’s “Little Queenie,” and continuing with renditions of Al Green’s “Take Me to the River” and Willie Dixon’s “My Babe,” before allowing Craig to have the spotlight on Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House.” Craig demonstrated fiery guitar work, even going behind his neck during his midsong solo. The group followed with renditions of “Shake Rattle and Roll” and Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally;” before I decided to depart Burgi’s to catch the second half of my doubleheader.

What I saw from Mystic Knights was very good. Their delivery was smooth on their varied range of flavors, and their grooves tight and constant; setting the launching pad for both Gil and Craig to dazzle the Burgi’s audience with their solo talents. Rock solid and tasteful, the Mystic Knights easily proved this night why they are one of Pittsburgh’s top blues names. They deserved a much bigger crowd than was in attendance this night; the folks who were in the house were enjoying what the Knights had to offer. Hopefully they’ll be back at Burgi’s again soon, so more local blues fans can continue to discover them.

The Mystic Knights.

Gil Snyder of The Mystic Knights.

Craig King of The Mystic Knights.

Jeff Ingersoll of The Mystic Knights. Jeff is also involved with Pittsburgh-based blues indie label Bonedog Records.

Again, Craig King of The Mystic Knights.

SKELL @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 12/2/06

From Burgi’s, I headed to Aldo’s to get updated on Pittsburgh’s Skell. They had a new singer, and this was his first night in Altoona, so I went to investigate.

I arrived during Skell’s third set, and a good-sized contingent of metal fans was in the house and on the dance floor getting their butts rocked. Skell’s new singer is Tim Kopelic, and as the group continued with their set, I discovered that Tim’s style was consistent with his predecessors. He could deliver the raging howls of the frontman he replaced, Pat “Bones” Bono; but also had a melodic presence reminiscent of Bones’ predecessor, Chris “Scooby” Dittman. Tim and Skell played several new hard-hitting originals, including “Fight” (the only title I caught). The group also did renditions of White Zombie’s “Thunder Kiss ‘65” and Slayer’s “Raining Blood.” A big highlight during this set was drummer Keith Kweder again demonstrating a monstrous drum solo display; this guy’s speed was incredible! At set’s end, the Aldo’s crowd demanded more, and Skell responded with a fast-rocking new original tune to close out the night.

As expected, Skell kicked maximum ass. New man Tim fit in well with the group, and I expect it should not take Skell fans long to accept him as the new voice up front. At least based on this show, a good hire.

Speaking with guitarist Mike Palone afterward, I learned about his brother Rich’s recent heart attack, sustained while he was playing drums with his current band, Rockbot. According to Mike, Rich is recovering well, and should be back in action soon.

At least from the portion of this show that I saw, Skell continues to bring the metal and kick ass doing it. I’ll be back for more…

Skell's new singer, Tim Kopelic.

Michael Ekis of Skell.

Keith Kweder of Skell.

Again, Keith Kweder of Skell.

Continuing his drum solo, Keith Kweder of Skell.

Again, Skell.

Mike Palone and Tim Kopelic of Skell.

Mike Palone of Skell.

Again, Tim Kopelic of Skell.

Once again, the new voice of Skell, Tim Kopelic.

Again, Mike Palone and Tim Kopelic of Skell.

One more time, Mike Palone of Skell.

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 12/3/06

Again, my weekend drew to a close at Pellegrine’s this Sunday night, with Juiced providing the tunes and musical excitement.

I arrived during the second set, and attendance at Pelly’s was again light this night. Whether this was just keeping with the recent trend of slow Sundays at Pelly’s, or if Altoona fans are still slow to accept this current inception of Juiced; the house was still underpopulated. But there were still some folks in attendance, giving Juiced a few faces to play to.

For their part, Juiced again did a capable job through their final two sets. Singer Russ Weikel, guitarist Norm Marks, bassist/singer Peggy Hood and drummer Darrell Hetrick maintained a steady and energetic pace as they rocked with favorites from Lita Ford, Rage Against the Machine, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit, Puddle Of Mudd, James, Green Day, Disturbed, Kid Rock, Fallout Boy, Guns’N’Roses, Ataris, AC/DC and more. Russ worked what dance floor crowd there was, rapidly moving back and forth across the stage to take the party into the faces of the fans. The band was on target and kept it tight-paced, and what crowd there was on the dance floor was into it and dancing along.

It was what it was. Juiced represented well, and at least a few folks were there to appreciate it. Hopefully Juiced’s persistence will eventually pay off, and win over more new fans with continued visits. Time will tell…

Russ Weikel of Juiced.

Peggy Hood of Juiced.

Darrell Hetrick of Juiced.

Again, Russ Weikel of Juiced.

Again, Peggy Hood of Juiced.

Norm Marks of Juiced.

Once again, Russ Weikel of Juiced.

Once again, Darrell Hetrick of Juiced.

JP’s HAIKU

The Bar’s Open Mic
One year anniversary
JP “Ugg” Award!