· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 12/18/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 27, 2007 

WEEKEND RECAP 12/18/06

MICK (GIANTS OF SCIENCE) @ WHITE LADY TAVERN, BUCKHORN 12/14/06

For mid-December, it was a mild evening; so I decided to take advantage of the favorable weather by heading up the hill to the White Lady Tavern, to check out the solo acoustic show from Giants Of Science singer/guitarist Mick.

It was a relaxing Thursday night at the White Lady, with a small group of bar regulars in attendance, NFL football on the tube (49’ers vs. Seahawks), Rachel tending bar, and Mick and an accomplice, former On The Rocks bassist Brad Hawken, providing the tunes.

Mick and Brad played a wide range of sounds from the late 60's to present during the set and a half of music I witnessed. Their setlist including favorites from Jim Croce, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Green Day, U2, Van Morrison, Goo Goo Dolls, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Garth Brooks, Hootie & the Blowfish, Sublime, Pearl Jam, Bad Company and more. Mick showed a good voice and steady guitar work, and he and Brad kept the mood laid-back and loose as they guided the small audience in its quest to 'see the White Lady' (a spirit believed by some to inhabit Buckhorn mountain). With the brews and Jager shots flowing freely throughout the room, I would venture to guess that some folks did end up seeing a white lady, spirit, or at worst, porcelain deity before all was said and done.

It was a laid-back, relaxing good time. If you're bored on a Thursday night, keep in mind that Mick from the Giants Of Science plays acoustic favorites on top of the Buckhorn, in case you want to try your hand at spotting the "White Lady."

With help from Brad Hawken (left), Mick from Giants Of Science livens things up on the Buckhorn on a Thursday night.

Mick, Brad, yours truly, barkeep Rachel and some happy members of the White Lady audience this night.

LIES, INC. @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 12/15/06

Since I didn’t get to see much of their performance the first time I tried to see them a few weeks prior, I headed back to The Bar this night to get a better look at rising local rockers Lies, Inc.

A large crowd was packed into The Bar as I arrived shortly into the group's second set. Singer J.D. Hicks, guitarist Jason "Dax" Berardi, bassist Kent Tonkin and drummer Ron Brode were mixing up original songs with various modern rock favorites and audience requests. Although I didn't catch many original song titles except for "Hypnotic" and "Flawed," I did get a sense of this group's original sound - a streamlined, hard-edged, melody-based modern rock sound with a slight technical edge reminiscent of Our Lady Peace and I Mother Earth, with occasional Tool-like overtones, and one song even hinting at Iron Maiden's "The Trooper." Their cover song selection included fan favorite requests for Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch" and Hinder's "Lips of an Angel," as well as tunes from Fallout Boy, Velvet Revolver, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Tool, Breaking Benjamin and more. With the crowd yelling for an encore at night's end, Lies, Inc. closed out the night with Rage's "Killing In the Name."

I was impressed overall with Lies, Inc.'s display this night. J.D.'s voice showed good range, backed with bursts of power and aggression. Instrumentally, Lies, Inc. kept it lean and stripped-down, yet interesting; with Kent coloring the rhythms with his busy bass work, Jason showing hot guitar leadwork, and Ron's steady and powerful beats behind it all. This band looked confident and focused, and the result was a tight and powerful performance.

I came away satisfied from my second encounter with Lies, Inc., and I look forward to observing this group's progress in the months ahead.

Here is some rough video from Lies, Inc.’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09208.MPG

J.D. Hicks of Lies, Inc., taking it to The Bar audience.

Jason Berardi of Lies, Inc.

J.D. Hicks of Lies, Inc.

With fans on and off the stage, Lies, Inc.

With former Anything Jane bandmate Joe Shriner helping out on vocals, J.D. Hicks of Lies, Inc.

Once again, Jason “Dax” Berardi of Lies, Inc. To the best of our knowledge, no goats were harmed during this performance.

Ron Brode of Lies, Inc.

Again, guest Joe Shriner and J.D. Hicks of Lies, Inc.

Kent Tonkin of Lies, Inc.

Ron Brode of Lies, Inc. poses with his adoring public.

ANGEL BLUE & THE PROPHETS @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 12/16/06

After mulling over the options for this Saturday night, I decided to head to Burgi’s Roundhouse to catch a second look at Pittsburgh’s Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Given the inconsistent turnouts Burgi's has had for their Pittsburgh imports lately, I was apprehensive about what crowd – or lack thereof – might be in attendance this night. I was happy, then, to see a good-sized contingent of folks in the house as I arrived late during Angel Blue's first set and watched the group finish their first salvo with a heated jam edition of "Sweet Home Chicago."

After watching some NWA wrasslin' on the overhead television during the intermission, I was ready to experience more of Angel Blue & the Prophets fiery blues. I was not disappointed. Angel Blue and her Prophets – Derek Toa on guitar, Jeff Connors on keys, the horn section of Derek Redd on sax and Carl King on trombone, and the rhythm section of Gary Ripper on bass and Scott McLean on drums – proceeded to tear the roof off with their hearty blend of original blues and blues/funk/rock classics. After the group warmed back up with a tune featuring Jeff singing lead, Angel Blue returned to the stage for a rousing edition of Willie Dixon's "I Just Wanna Make Love to You," which drew some dancers onto the floor. After another song, the group broke out an edition of Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools," which evolved into a funky jam workout showcasing each of the individual players. After a slow blues number and a funky-flavored original song, Angel Blue & the Prophets wrapped up their second set with an upbeat and funky rendntion of Dave Mason's "Feelin' Alright," again with Angel Blue and her bandmates going to town and propelling the musical fireworks skyward in a dazzling display.

This was an excellent display thus far. This band was feeling it; and you could tell they were fired up to be making music this night. Each player was making the most of his opportunity in the spotlight, from Derek’s clean and rapid fire guitar solo displays to Jeff’s sparkling keyboard runs, to the horn section’s bold brass edge and the lean and tight rhythms of Scott and Gary. This all provided the launching pad for Angel Blue – alias Angela D’Ambrosio – to work her magic. Angel let each song and vibe take over, with her expressive voice running the emotional gamut from playful and teasing to bold and boisterous, to anguished and heartbroken. Her performance was passionate, and she knew how to work the stage and crowd. This was one dynamic performer, and she commanded attention from start to finish.

Soon Angel Blue & the Prophets were back for the finale. A robust read of Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally” drew dancers back onto Burgi’s dance floor. The party continued with an extended funky jam display on James Brown’s “I Feel Good,” before Jeff handled the vocal duties on a romping version of Grand Funk Railroad’s “Some Kind of Wonderful.” Approaching the end of the night, Angel Blue and her Prophets decided to close out the show with a song for the holiday season, “Christmas Blues.”

Again, Angel Blue & the Prophets delivered an exceptional performance that left me blown away! And I was glad to see good attendance for this band’s sophomore visit to Burgi’s, increasing the likelihood of more Angel Blue sightings in this neck of the woods soon.

Angel Blue & the Prophets, lighting it up onstage at Burgi’s.

Jeff Connors of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Gary Ripper of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Group namesake, Angela “Angel Blue” D’Ambrosio.

Derek Toa, Derek Redd and Carl King of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Again, Angel Blue of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Again, Derek Redd and Carl King of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

In the heat of a solo, Derek Toa of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Scott McLean and Derek Toa of Angel Blue & the Prophets.

Once again, the horn section for Angel Blue & the Prophets, Derek and Carl.

Once again, Angel Blue.

One more time, Angel Blue & the Prophets.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/17/06

After the previous night’s Angel Blue performances, and my “Backyard Rocker” guest, Fat Vinny, putting me in a bluesy mood, I headed to The Hitching Post to close out my weekend with some Sunday night Hurricane bluesing.

I arrived late in their second set, and the Hurricanes had a good-sized Hitching Post crowd rocking and rolling with Ted Nugent’s “Free For All.” A female guest named Jen stepped to the stage to sing, doing a nice job on a rendition of Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.” Felix, Jeff and Bob stepped the tempo back up with Pat Travers’ “Snortin’ Whiskey,” followed by Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “House Is A Rockin’” and Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “lue On Black.” The group then ended the set in a country vein with Eddie Rabbitt’s “Driving My Life Away.”

After a short intermission, Felix & the Hurricanes returned for their nightcap set, kicking things off where they left off – in a rural vein with “Rocky Top,” highlighted by guitar man Felix Kos and bass man Jeff Clapper’s intricate nip-and-tuck interaction on their respective instruments. Then guest Jen returned to the stage for a repeat performance of “Me and Bobby McGee,” sent out to her mother in the audience. The Hurricanes then closed out the set with their fusion of Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath” into another Ted Nugent number, “Great White Buffalo.” The assembled multitude of Hurricaniacs demanded more, so the group remained to finish out the night with two more numbers; honoring a request for their original tune “Black Widow,” before ending with an uptempo read of Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.”

Once again it was quality live music viewing, as Felix, Jeff and Bob skillfully worked their instruments and rode the vibe of the crowd, improvising on the spot and deciding their next song selection as they went along. The performance was again cohesive and rowdy, and kept the Hitching Post crowd cheering for the duration. Another fun session of Hurricaning was the appropriate tonic to slam the lid on my weekend. All is again well with the world…

With nefarious Hurricaniac Ed directing the camera action, Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Ed gets his groove on with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Again, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Thunderfoot Bob of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

Felix jams while Ed gets down.

Hurricane Bob looks on in wonder.

The Hitching Post dance floor gets busy for Felix & the Hurricanes.

One more time, Hurricane Felix.

JP’s HAIKU

Buckhorn Thursday night
Mick from Giants, Jager shots
See “The White Lady”

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner