· The Final Cut
NEW YEAR'S WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/1/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 05, 2007 

NEW YEAR’S WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/1/07

MATT WAGNER (THE WAGNERS) @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 12/26/06

It was the Tuesday between holidays and I was up for some live music this night. Plus, I accidentally forgot my notepad and pen the previous night after Hello, Vixen’s Christmas night performance. So for both of those reasons, I headed to the 4D's Lounge upstairs Schnappes Shoppe to see what Matt Wagner's weekly Tuesday show was all about.

Not surprisingly, the Schnappes Shoppe was packed as I arrived, grabbed a brew and made my way forward towards the front. Matt was not alone on the stage; he was joined by Banditos/Opposition guitarist Phil Wagner. The pair performed an interesting mix of acoustic rock past and present, including Hinder's "Lips of an Angel," The Verve Pipe's "Freshmen," Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth," Tom Cochrane's "Life Is A Highway," and Sublime's "Santeria" to finish out the set. Matt handled the lion's share of lead singing duties, with Phil providing backing harmonies.

During the intermission, I started chatting with another "JP," who usually works the 4D's upstairs bowling alley area. Thus engaged in conversation, I didn't pay close attention to the Wagners' nightcap set, but did note a few songs and additional guests. Frequent-flyer guest Loren Johnson got up and sang a few songs with Matt and Phil, including "No One Else," while Nine Planet Tour's Eric Wertz contributed some additional percussion on Weezer's "Say It Ain't So."

It was a good show, and it was good to see such a large crowd in attendance to support it. Matt and Phil kept the music constant, bantered with audience members and honored a few requests along the way. The packed house at the Schnappes Shoppe appeared to enjoy it. Again, a good evening…even if I didn’t get my notepad and pen back (must have gotten tossed with the empty beer bottles, oh well).

RUSTY GUN REVIVAL @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/27/06

Again able to escape the workplace early on a Wednesday night, I headed to The Hitching Post to see a band that hadn't logged time in the 'Toona for a few months, Rusty Gun Revival.

I arrived during the Gunner's second set, and the group had a special guest onstage, John Stevens on lap steel. John, singer/guitarist L.C. Slim, upright bassman Red and Tom on snare drum played their roots mixture of original songs and old-school country, honky tonk and rock'n'roll favorites. You could tell this band hadn't been in town for a while; there seemed to be more intensity and fire as the musicians entertained the packed house with original songs such as "Step It Up N'Go," "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Long Way From Home." By request, the group did their rendition of the traditional "Tell Old Bill;" and they ended this set with the Johnny Cash triple-shot of "Folsom Prison Blues," "Cry Cry Cry" and "Ring of Fire."

As just mentioned, Rusty Gun Revival was laying down some fire and brimstone this night, delivering their roots with fire and emotion. Slim's voice and guitar were more agitated than usual, Tom's snare hits were sharp and steady, and Red's big bass notes resonated throughout the room. John's lap steel added depth and color to the overall sound. The band was feeling it, and the crowd was feeding off of it, with cheers loud and steady after every song.

Rusty Gun Revival's nightcap set was an abbreviated one, but it still had its share of highlights. The group kicked off with Muleskinner's "Land of the Navajo," culminating in a heated homestretch, with the band firing on all cylinders like a group of outnumbered cowboys trying to outrace a volley of flying arrows! They continued with their rootsy read of Social Distortion's "Ball and Chain," before finishing off the night with "Wagon Wheels," with Slim wailing some frantic harmonica.

Rusty Gun Revival and their guest gave an inspired performance this night, delivered with ample fire. It was a good show, and good to see these boys again stirring things up at the Post on a Wednesday.

WISKERBISKET @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/29/06

It had been a while since Lewistown party animals Wiskerbisket had been in the 'Toona. This night, they were making their debut at the Hitching Post. I headed there to see if they were still crazy after all these years...

The Post had a mid-sized crowd present as I arrived, and I was able to procure a table in the back of the room. The crowd would soon grow, and my table would provide me with an unexpected and interesting perspective to witness the Wiskerbisket craziness unfold. Singer Doug Snook, guitarist John Benevento, bassist Milhouse and drummer Harry Bleyer fired through uptempo rocking numbers from AC/DC, Soft Cell, Dead Or Alive, Green Day, Poison and Blur to finish out the set. Their pace was breakneck, and their performance over the top and wild, with Doug quickly and frequently taking his cordless microphone throughout the house to get any and all occupants into this party. Yes, still crazy after all these years...(at least since their last Altoona visit, back in the woebegone days of Peter C's.)

During the intermission, a group of women arrived, and were in search of a table to sit at. Since I was the lone occupant at my table and all other tables were filled, the ladies asked if they could join me. Absolutely! (It turned out that two of the women were former Q94 Calendar Girls, and a third was a former girlfriend of a good friend of mine.) I soon learned that these women didn't know anything about Wiskerbisket or what they did. They were newbies. And Wiskerbisket was about to musically pop their cherries...

With a guest named Jeremy signing lead, the 'Bisket leaped back into the music with their rendition of the Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right (to Party)." Doug remarked that Wiskerbisket was "more fun than kicking a goat" (don't tell the guys in Lies, Inc. that!), before tearing into Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch." The party continued to pick up steam with tunes from Lit, Bryan Adams, Billy Idol, The Knack and more. The aforementioned group of ladies sitting at my table conversed amongst themselves and paid only slight attention to the band at first. But Doug wasn't going to let that last for long. He soon started making his rounds around the Hitching Post complex, stopping at our table and serenading the ladies directly. This broke the ice, and before long, one of the ladies was up and dancing next to her seat, with the others - one by one - soon following suit. Soon the first dancing lady, getting her buzz on, was up on a chair and dancing. This party was on! The 'Bisket continued to fuel the fire, proceeding with tunes from Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Big & Rich (you know the song), the Commodores' "Brick House," Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music," and Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" to finish out the set.

Doug and Wiskerbisket weren't about to let me sit around quietly, either. The group played music through their sound system during set breaks, with a few fans dancing along in front of the stage. Soon the "Chicken Dance" came around, and guess who got drafted by Doug to partake? Yes, I did the Chicken Dance, and survived to tell about it.

A good-sized crowd now populated the Post, and the ladies who were unsure about this new band when they first showed up were going nowhere; they were having too much fun!

With a hearty "Wake the F--K up!!!," Doug and Wiskerbisket resumed the zaniness, starting with some redneck fun via their high-powered spin on Waylon Jennings "Good Ol' Boys," followed by Gaye DeLorme's "Rodeo Song" and "F--king in the Mud." After Weezer's "Beverly Hills," the 'Bisket Boys extended 21st birthday wishes to one of the ladies seated at my table, Sherie. Doug's antics intensified after The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go," as he feigned snorting black pepper from a table top! The party continued with tunes from Violent Femmes, Kiss, White Zombie, Green Day, Salt'n'Pepa, Queen, LeBouche, Rage Against the Machine and more. The group slowed down the tempo once to do one of their own songs, the slower "Just Like." It continued to be an exhausting good time, with ladies dancing on tables on chairs, Doug doing his best bachelorette party dance moves and more. The party even continued after the last song, as the 'Bisket crew led line dances and conga lines while music played through the sound system.

Needless to say, this was a great time! Wiskerbisket delivered fast, feverish, nonstop fun, with thrills and spills around every corner! These guys were having almost more fun than humans should be allowed to have on a Friday night, and the crowd fed off the craziness and had a blast as well. That group of ladies at my table stayed until the last note, dancing atop chairs and even the table at one point! They may not have known who Wiskerbisket was when they first arrived, but by night's end they likely would never forget them! Even the Hitching Post's Faith got caught up in the hoopla and was having a blast with Doug and Milhouse as they made their way back along the bar.

The only down side of the night came at the end, when Doug informed me that he was leaving the band in January, to devote more time to his family and personal life. Doug and his feverish brand of energy had become a trademark and highlight of Wiskerbisket's live show, and it was going to take a lot to fill those shoes. But here's hoping the group does fill those shoes and keeps this party rolling, so more good times like this night can continue.

Milhouse of Wiskerbisket.

Milhouse grooves with some happy ladies.

More fun with Milhouse of Wiskerbisket and his new friends.

Doug and Milhouse of Wiskerbisket bring the party to the back of the room.

Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket serenades the ladies.

It was a party around the table with Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket.

Milhouse of Wiskerbisket serenades the Hitching Post's Faith (and yes, that is former Peter C's doorman Re-Pete in the background, enjoying the show).

Again, Milhouse and Doug of Wiskerbisket, partying down with the ladies.

More festivities with Milhouse and Doug of Wiskerbisket.

Serving dozens from high atop a chair at the Hitching Post, Doug of Wiskerbisket.

There he is again; Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket.

He's in the yuletide spirit; Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket.

More topsy-turvy fun with Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket.

Helping Sherrie celebrate her 21st, Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket.

Snorting black pepper, Doug Snook of Wiskerbisket. Better watch, Doug, that could lead to harder stuff, like salt...

Milhouse of Wiskerbisket prompts a belly-dance display from Faith.

Milhouse of Wiskerbisket, partying down.

Jon Benevento of Wiskerbisket.

"Hi Mom!" Jon Benevento of Wiskerbisket.

Harry Bleyer of Wiskerbisket.

Once again, Harry Bleyer of Wiskerbisket.

At night's end, Wiskerbisket's Milhouse leads a conga line through the bar.

Good times with Yours Truly, Doug from Wiskerbisket and Faith.

“ICEMAN” BENEFIT @ THE ALLEY POPPER, HOUTZDALE 12/30/06

After it was disclosed during the summer that Opposition singer Mike "Iceman" Bryant was ill, a benefit show was put together to take place at the Alley Popper in Houtzdale. Initially, it was to be a heavy-hitting five band bill, but when the night finally arrived, things didn't quite go as planned.

I soon learned shortly after arriving at The Alley Popper that only three of the five bands were in attendance. Harrisburg's Your Dying Wish reportedly pulled out due to vehicle problems while en route, and Iceman was reported ill, prompting Opposition's withdrawal from the bill. And it was the Alley Popper's first experiment booking a heavy metal show; and it was not faring well, as attendance was sparse.

But the show must go on, and it did. Onstage as I arrived was a New York-based band, Sour Diesel. Four members strong, Sour Diesel played a brand of hardcore punk-flavored metal, featuring songs with interesting tempo and chord shifts, plus ample agitation. I didn't catch any song titles, but the group gave a solid performance. And kudos to them especially for driving from New York to donate their talents at a benefit for somebody they likely didn't know, and putting forth the effort in spite of very little crowd to see them.

New York's Sour Diesel kicks off the Iceman Benefit at the Alley Popper.

Again, New York's Sour Diesel.

One more time, Sour Diesel.

Next was my first – and as it turned out, last – look at Condemned Existence. I had heard their CD, Following the Beaten Path, and wanted to see how the songs translated to a live setting. Lead vocalist Von Baas, guitarists Scott Bush and Keith Reyn, bassist Keith Rice, and drummer Cody Kensinger played brute force, intense metal from the CD, including "Liars Among Us," "Maniaclysm," "The Murder Doctrine," "And I..." and more. Condemned Existence's style was driving and scathing, highlighted by instrumental precision and Von Baas' horrific but focused vocal howls. And although the room was empty, a couple of ladies actually were inspired to dance during part of Condemned Existence's set, and even coaxed Von Baas into joining them briefly. Given the circumstances of this night, Condemned Existence did a commendable job, and represented their brand of no-holds-barred, all-out metal well.

Condemned Existence puts pedal to the metal at the Alley Popper.

Again, Condemned Existence.

Von Baas of Condemned Existence.

Scott Bush of Condemned Existence.

Once again, scathing metal from Condemned Existence.

Cody Kensinger of Condemned Existence.

The two Keith's - Reyn and Rice - of Condemned Existence.

Once again, Von Baas and Condemned Existence.

Putting on his best "Dance Fever" moves with several ladies, Von Baas of Condemned Existence.

4 Days Dirty then closed the show by rocking what little crowd there was. The group mixed newer and older songs from their arsenal. The newer material was consistent with their prior output; hard hitting and agitated. From the Raise Your Hands...If You Feel Like Dying CD, 4 Days Dirty did "Downtime," "Killbox" and "Shot Gun." The group also broke out a rendition of Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name," which again triggered limited dance floor action from a few of the people still in the room. 4 Days Dirty's set also featured a display from Condemned Existence's Von Baas, doing 'the worm' on the dance floor.

4 Days Dirty caps the Iceman Benefit at the Alley Popper.

Again, 4 Days Dirty.

Paul Greiner of 4 Days Dirty.

Bottom line, bust. The benefit for Iceman at the Alley Popper was poorly attended, but the show still went on. Any number of reasons might be cited for the dismal attendance, from travel distance involved for anybody from Altoona who might have been interested in attending, to this brand of extreme-flavored metal not being a good match for this particular venue and clientelle, to people saving their dollars for all the New Year's Eve celebrations the following night. But the silver lining this night for me was being able to finally see Condemned Existence perform live, and also to see the inside of the Alley Popper, a nice-sized room that has potential. Hopefully Lisa and the staff there can continue to sample and find out what works and what doesn't, and nurture the live music events that do succeed. Unfortunately, their experiment with heavy metal this night was not successful.

FAYTED @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/30/06

As the Iceman benefit ended prior to midnight, that gave me enough time to shoot down the hill from Houtzdale back to Altoona, and catch at least the last set of Fayted's show at City Limits.

A mid-sized crowd was present at City Limits as I arrived shortly into Fayted’s third and final set of the night. The group kept a steady dance floor contingent moving with current and classic rock favorites from Green Day, Blink 182, Poison, Weezer, Rick Springfield, Guns’n’Roses and more. At one point, the group fed the party by unleashing a bagload of inflated balloons onto the dance floor. By the time Fayted closed their set with Guns’n’Roses’ “Paradise City,” a number of ladies were dancing alongside the band members onstage. When the crowd demanded an encore at night’s end, Fayted delivered with Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch.”

From what I got to witness, it was a good party, as Fayted provided a satisfactory tune-up for the New Year’s Eve celebrating the following night.

It's balloon-busting fun with Josh Lockard and Fayted at City Limits.

Fayted and their fans, having fun at City Limits.

Once again, Fayted.

Josh Lockard of Fayted gets a piggyback ride at City Limits.

High-altitude fun with Josh Lockard and Fayted.

Lots of ladies join Fayted onstage at City Limits.

More fun with Fayted and the ladies at City Limits.

Ron Horton of Fayted entertains company onstage.

Immersed in a crowd of fans, Josh Lockard of Fayted.

Band and fans become one big happy gathering onstage at City Limits.

More craziness with Fayted and their fans at City Limits.

Ron Horton of Fayted entertains more company onstage.

HAIR FORCE ONE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/31/06

New Year’s Eve had arrived. Once again, City Limits would be the setting for my transition from the old year into the New Year; and Hair Force One would provide the music, via a trip through the Decade of Decadence.

Designated by my gang of crazies and determined to procure a good table vantage point to witness the band this year, I arrived at City Limits earlier than in past years, and was rewarded with a prime piece of table real estate in the rear of the band room in front of the rear bar. City Limits continued to rapidly fill up with revelers, and other members of my entourage arrived to secure my table holding. A party was brewing…

Soon, Hair Force One was ready to lift off. Singer Victor Synn, guitarist Michael J. Cox, guitarist/keyboardist Philip DaPussee, bassist Iva Biggin and drummer Hugh G. Rection commenced the 80’s hair party with Skid Row’s “Monkey Business,” and the house was off and rocking! Tunes from AC/DC, Slaughter, Jackyl, Bulletboys, Cinderella, Firehouse, Kiss and Guns’n’Roses populated the first set, drawing celebrants en masse onto City Limits dance floor. Vic’s voice was in excellent form, evidenced especially by his power and range on Bulletboys’ “Smooth Up In Ya,” and Cinderella’s “Somebody Save Me” and “Gypsy Road” (the latter which ended the set). People were dancing, booze was flowing, and the cacophony of New Year’s Eve noisemakers steadily grew.

Hair Force One reconvened the music with Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive” to begin their second set. After numbers by Kiss, Poison and Warrant, the moment had arrived…the countdown to midnight, when Guv’nor Jesse’s head would drop down into his pitcher of beer…err…New Year 2007 would begin! The house went wild, with noisemakers creating the expected loud din, hugs and kisses a plenty throughout the City Limits complex, and most importantly – City Limits’ midnight buffet was served! After about a 30 minute intermission to celebrate and gorge, Hair Force One’s Decade of Decadence antics took over. Victor directed the audience’s attention to the dance floor area, where a lone Spongebob piñata hung from the ceiling. Vic and Hair Force One beckoned daring females in the house to step forward to the stage and swing at the piñata, using Hugh G. Rection’s huge drum sticks. It took hard swings and persistence, but the piñata was soon breached, and its contents fell to the dance floor – CONDOMS! Yes, 2007 was off to a distinctively Hair Force One 80’s-styled decadent start!

With that, how could the party not resume!? Hair Force One launched back into the music with Faster Pussycat's "Bathroom Wall," and proceeded to rock the house with tunes from Tesla, Poison, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Guns'n'Roses, Def Leppard, Skid Row and more. I was quite pleasantly surprised when the group broke out a competently-done rendition of Queensryche's "I Don't Believe in Love." Spirits rode at an inebriated high, and the dance floor remained filled clear to the end, as the group closed their set with Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me." The New Year's revelers weren't done partying yet, though, and wanted one more. Hair Force One responded with Quiet Riot/Slade's "Cum On Feel the Noize."

Needless to say, this was a party! I even remember most of it! Hair Force One and City Limits again provided the fitting blowout to launch 2007 in proper style. And the after-party - eating dogs and kraut and watching Easy Rider at a friend's townhouse nearby - was a good time as well.

Here is some video footage from Hair Force One’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09307.MPG

Victor Synn of Hair Force One takes it to the fans.

Happy New Year! Victor Synn and Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

City Limits frequent flyer Erik is in the New Year's Eve spirit!

Two happy and cuddly Hair Force One "Hair Bears" celebrate the occasion.

Here's a bunch of happy folks; my gang of crazies, helping me usher in 2007 at City Limits.

Uh oh! I see this one making the PhotoShop rounds on Rockpage...Obviously, yours truly is having a deliriously good time at City Limits.

The Right Honorable Guv'nor Jesse also was obviously having a good time.

City Limits helped the revelers kick off the New Year in fashion with this great-looking food spread.

This happy-looking Spongebob Squarepants was about to receive a splitting headache at City Limits.

A hopeful lady takes her best swing at the Spongebob piñata, in the hopes of busting it open and revealing its contents.

Another lady takes her best shot.

And another....

Damn, this thing is hard to bust open!

Again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

Again, Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One rocks in New Year 2007 at City Limits.

"Take our picture!" Okay!

Phillip DaPussee and Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

Again, Philip and Michael of Hair Force One.

A packed dance floor looks on as Hair Force One rocks the house.

Philip DaPussee and Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Again, Philip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

Hair Force One and their fans, getting wild.

A big, happy crowd at City Limits.

Some ladies bust their best dance moves onstage with Hair Force One.

Hair Force One's party mayhem continues.

Immersed in a sea of women, Philip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

The dance floor remains packed as Hair Force One's party continues.

Heywood Jablome and Philip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

Again, Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

JP’s HAIKU

Hair Force One City
A condom-spewing Spongebob
Great start to the year!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner