· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/22/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 11, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/22/07

MT. CITY GRASS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/17/07

In the mood for some 'grass, I headed over for the Hitching Post's country night, where local grass-sters Mt. City Grass were staging a hoedown.

It was relatively quiet at the Post this night, with a small audience in attendance. Singer/guitarist Denny Cerully, guitarist Ed Decker, upright bassist Kate Cerully, Dean Berkheimer on banjo and John Stevens on dobro had fun making music together onstage as they played bluegrass and select early country favorites. Some of the selections the group performed included traditional numbers such as "Mountain Dew" and "Katy Daley," also renditions of Flatt & Scruggs' "Will You Be Lovin' Another Man," "Tennessee 1949," the Louvin Brothers' "Are You Teasing Me," Sid Campbell's "This Morning at Nine," Charlie Moore's "Kentucky Girl" and Herb Remington's instrumental "Remington Ride." The group closed out the show with the traditional folk singalong "New York Town."

Mt. City Grass sounded good as they kicked back and had fun. Each player represented well during his/her turn in the spotlight, and they all sounded comfortable together as a group. Beyond merely playing a show to the Hitching Post audience, though, this was a group of friends having fun making music together, and the vibe was friendly and casual. Although they sounded good, Mt. City Grass never took themselves too seriously, and their overall mood was good-natured and relaxed.

The combination of Mt. City Grass' relaxed, down-honey sounds and Hitching Post ribs made for a very satisfying combination this Wednesday evening, just the right tonic after finishing a day at the workplace.

Here is some video footage from Mt. City Grass’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09361.MPG

Mt. City Grass, having a good time at the Hitching Post.

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 1/17/07

After departing the Hitching Post, I decided to swing by City Limits and check in with Dustin Burley's weekly Wednesday performance.

Consistent with the earlier attendance at the Hitching Post, attendance was light at City Limits, with only a handful of people on hand to enjoy Dustin and his acoustic guitar. I got involved in some conversation at the bar and was only casually jotting down notes, so I didn't catch a lot of the songs that Dustin did during the time I was there. But from what I did note, Dustin again brought an eclectic blend of songs to the audience, including Woody Guthrie's "Seasons of the Sun," Marty Robbins' "El Paso," his own original song "The Crow" and more. Towards evening's end, with some gentle coaxing from City Limits' main man Claudio, folks got up to dance to Dustin's acoustic sounds.

It was a quiet and uneventful night, and as such, things wound down early. But what I heard from Dustin sounded good.

There weren't many people at City Limits this night, but Dustin Burley had them dancing.

More dancing with Dustin Burley.

Dancing, drinking and group hugs with Dustin Burley.

More dance floor magic with Dustin Burley.

NOTHING SACRED @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/18/07

After logging a late night in the workplace, I finished out my Thursday night at Aldo's, checking in with Nothing Sacred.

A good-sized contingent of mostly college-aged folks and Aldo's regulars was in attendance as I arrived, midway through Nothing Sacred's nightcap set. Tim Mort and Tom Noel on acoustic guitars and Cheeze on vocals mixed favorites with select acoustic punk adaptations and original songs for the half-hour's worth of music I got to witness. Some of the songs they performed included Rancid's "Ruby Soho," Social Distortion's "Ball and Chain," a Dropkick Murphys tune and to end the night, Prince's "Purple Rain."

Nothing Sacred's performance was loose, laid-back and good-natured, perfect for the crowd of beered-up college partiers in front of the stage, who sang and cheered along.

I learned that this night was a tune-up for the following Thursday, when the Maxim Magazine Talent Search was coming to Aldo's to select a local model hopeful to be a part of the magazine. Nothing Sacred would be back to entertain, and I would be back to be entertained, both musically and visually.

Nothing Sacred entertains some onlookers at Aldo's.

From the stage, Nothing Sacred and their fans.

THE RED LETTER BAND @ THE GATHERING COFFEEHOUSE, CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH, ALTOONA 1/19/07

I was heading back to church to kick off this Friday night, taking in The Gathering Coffeehouse at Calvary Baptist Church, hosted by The Red Letter Band. I had been curious to check out The Red Letter Band for a while, and my interest increased after I heard the group’s new 3-song Christmas EP issued over the holiday season.

Although the winter had been mild thus far, this night saw snow squalls and slippery roads. Since Calvary Baptist Church was only about a mile away from my Q94 workplace, I didn’t have far to go. But Calvary’s parking lot had some icy spots; and clad in sneakers, I had to be careful where I stepped when entering the church basement where the coffeehouse was held.

The weather didn't hurt attendance; in fact, I was quite surprised to see a packed house for The Gathering Coffeehouse! (The band told me they were even surprised, usually they see good crowds but not this big!) I found a vacant seat off to the side, and prepared to watch The Red Letter Band as they performed their nightcap set.

Formed two years ago and comprised of singer Jeff Ritchey, guitarist/singer Larry Snowberger, guitarist Gary Yantz, bassist T.J. Simendinger, keyboard player Tim Boland and drummer Russ Reihart; The Red Letter Band demonstrated their brand of upbeat, melody-geared and acoustic-driven Christian-themed rock. The room quickly came to life as the group's tempo increased, and The Gathering soon had the flavor of a revival as audience members stood, cheered and grooved along to The Red Letter Band's inspirational sounds. The group opened with "Sing Praise," before wishing an audience member a happy birthday and leading the crowd in singing the song of the same title. The group continued with "God of Wonders" from their CD The Adam Project, along with "Breathe," "Amazed," their upbeat take on Michael W. Smith/Paul Baloche's "Open The Eyes of My Heart," Brenton Brown's "Lord, Reign in Me," Darrell Evans' "Trading My Sorrows," and the finale, a funk-edged read of another Paul Baloche number, "Praise Adonai," also found on The Adam Project.

I was very impressed with The Red Letter Band's sound. Their execution was tight and clean, with everybody on the same page instrumentally and vocally. Their vocals and harmonies were strong, and I liked their balance of acoustic, electric guitar and piano flavors to guide their sound along. This band sounded polished and professional, yet energetic and inspired. This wasn't lost on the audience, as the crowd fed off the band's energy and vice versa.

It was a charged edition of The Gathering Coffeehouse, and provided a strong and favorable first impression of The Red Letter Band for me. For some good-sounding, melody-geared rock and a positive message and vibe, watch out for this group at future Gathering Coffeehouse events and their other upcoming shows.

THE FLAME SKY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/19/07

After departing The Gathering Coffeehouse and taking in some supper at Pellegrine's, I braved more slippery roads to journey to Aldo's, to check in with The Flame Sky.

I arrived shortly into The Flame Sky's first set. Singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods started into a Santana number, "Put Your Light On," and proceeded with their mix of improvisational original rock and eclectic classic rock/metal interpretations. Some of their originals during the duration of this set included "We May Never Be" and "Not Much Left to Do;" the group also took on another Santana number, "Jingo," and the Allman Brothers' "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" to finish out their first set.

The audience was on the small side this night, but everybody populating Aldo's central band room was digging and appreciating The Flame Sky thus far, and eager to see where the group's musical journey would go during the second set.

The Flame Sky's second chapter opened with the original number "B-Minor," before taking a heavier flavor with Black Sabbath's "Snowblind." After Pink Floyd's "Young Lust," the group introduced another of their own compositions, "The Maze," featuring an intensely-played extended midsection. Next was another original, "The Price You Pay," followed by Ozzy Osbourne's "Mr. Crowley," and by request, the monstrous instrumental "Creature" to end the set.

As the group's improvisational adventures resulted in the first two sets running long, the final set was an abbreviated two songs. The Flame Sky introduced a brand new original song, "The Other Side," before closing out the night with what has become a favorite of their cover repertoire, Iron Maiden's "Phantom of the Opera."

Once again, The Flame Sky did what they did very well. Musical fireworks were plentiful, as the group delivered tight and tricky arrangements, intense instrumental passages, and other thrills and chills. Jason Feathers' guitar work was exemplary, and both he and Ed combined for some clean and tight harmony guitar leads, especially during "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed." The Flame Sky doesn't trigger mass amounts of dancing on any given night, but as demonstrated again this night, they held their audience spellbound by the instrumental goods offered.

Ed Brinkel and Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

The Flame Sky, bringing their musical adventurism to Aldo's.

Again, The Flame Sky.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

DEMISE AWAITS @ THE LION’S DEN, ALTOONA 1/20/07

With road conditions much improved over the night before, I planned a show doubleheader this Saturday night. I would begin with the all-age bill happening at The Lion’s Den, slated to feature the reformed SeVer, Second Offense, Demise Awaits and Rose of Carthage.

However, as I arrived at The Lion’s Den, I learned that besides unpredictable winter weather, the flu bug and sickness can also wreak havoc on concerts. Of the four bands, SeVer and Second Offense were both sidelined due to health-related issues; and Rose Of Carthage reportedly had vehicular problems. So just one band – Demise Awaits – was in attendance. The show must go on, and although the attendance was sparse, Demise Awaits rocked the few who did show up to watch the show.

Demise Awaits performed aggressive, technically-charged heavy metal rooted in the classic thrash traditions of early Metallica, Slayer and Overkill, featuring sharp instrumental execution; a swarming, full-bodied dual guitar attack, chord and tempo shifts and more. The group – lead singer/guitarist Jason Chatfield, lead guitarist Jason Shimmel, bassist Austin Feely and drummer Brian Wells – bared their teeth on original numbers such as “The Nothing Soul,” “Professor Headwreck,” “I Want Your Blood” and more. They were instrumentally together and focused, and Jason’s vocals varied between all-out rage and more melodic passages.

Although the performance circumstances were less than ideal this night, I was impressed with Demise Awaits’ tenacity and focus, as the group poured it out for the few folks who did show up. And although few in number, the audience members were big in admiration, and left Demise Awaits know that they appreciated the group’s efforts.

Demise Awaits puts pedal to the metal at The Lion's Den.

Again, Demise Awaits.

LOWJACK @ THE ARENA, STATE COLLEGE 1/20/07

After leaving The Lion’s Den and doing a pizza supper at Best Way in Greenwood (thanks Big Jim!), I was Happy Valley-bound, to check in with Lowjack during their first appearance at The Arena. I had seen Lowjack’s debut performance at the Central PA Hoedown back in early August; and wanted to see how this band had progressed since then.

The Arena was pretty populated as I arrived during Lowjack’s first set, enough so that I had to stand and wait for a table to open up. The group – featuring former Katsu members Dennis Fallon on lead vocals and guitar and Frank Yarnal on bass, former Voodoo Bullet guitarist Burk on lead guitar, Jeremiah Reyes on keys, and drummer Jonathan Hoffman – performed a blend of mostly original heartland and modern rock, Americana and classic rock. The remainder of their first set featured songs from their self-titled CD such as “Poppa Bear” and “Links in a Chain;” a Katsu carryover, “Walkaway,” a rendition of Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” and the Johnny Cash double-shot of “Folsom Prison Blues” into “Ring of Fire.”

A table on one of The Arena’s upper side decks cleared out during the intermission, and I staked claim on it and set up shop. Frontman Dennis stopped by to chat with me, updating me on the latest things going on with the group.

Soon Lowjack’s second set got under way, opening with an original number, I believe called “You Can’t Stay Here.” The group then did a rockabilly-flavored take on “Runaway” from their CD, followed by an unexpected oldie but goodie, Hoyt Axton/Three Dog Night’s “Joy to the World.” Lowjack returned to the Katsu catalog for “Down the Line,” before Dennis introduced the song “Please Don’t Start,” which was featured on the CW television show Veronica Mars this past December. A rendition of Modern English’s “I Melt With You” led to another original song, “Wish,” Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Travelin’ Band,” “Bye Bye Boys” from their CD, and a rousing take on the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues” to complete the set.

Lowjack was doing a very good job thus far. Dennis remains a personable, passionate and fiery frontman with the knack for rallying crowds; and he and Lowjack were keeping The Arena’s dance floor busy thus far – mostly with their own music! The band was tight and tasteful, with guitars and keys playing equal roles in guiding and flavoring the sound. This band defined their musical turf as their sets progressed, and showed focus and confidence in their selection of material, original and cover.

Soon the group resumed action with their nightcap set, opening with “White Trash Girl” from the CD. After two songs I didn’t recognize (probably originals, one was reggae-toned), Jeremiah showed his soulful pipes on a rendition of Otis Redding’s “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay.” The group then did a version of Oasis’ “Wonderwall,” before introducing two brand new original songs, “Kiss Her” and “Songs About You.” With the dance floor still busy, the group closed out the night with the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle.”

It was safe to say that Lowjack’s first appearance at The Arena was a very successful one, especially considering that they kept the dance floor busy all night with mostly their own song material! Lowjack demonstrated a fresh and upbeat brand of Americana- and modern-flavored rock; and with a showcase appearance at Austin, Texas’ prestigious South By Southwest Conference on the horizon, this is a band whose profile is definitely on the rise.

Here is some video footage from Lowjack’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09363.MPG

Lowjack, rocking The Arena.

Again, Lowjack, during their first appearance at The Arena.

From a different angle, Lowjack.

Burk of Lowjack.

Dennis Fallon of Lowjack.

Jonathan Hoffman of Lowjack.

One more time, Lowjack.

GIANTS OF SCIENCE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/21/07

A little bit of snow on area roads didn’t stop me from finishing up my weekend at Pellegrine’s, where the Giants Of Science were making a rare appearance.

Because of the aforementioned snow, attendance was a little bit light for the Giants; but that didn’t stop this crew from having a good time with the folks who did show up. As I arrived during their second set, singer/bassist Crow, guitarist/singer Mick, keyboardist/singer Scotty B and drummer Jamie had a dance floor party going as they played mostly 80’s favorites from REO Speedwagon, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Bryan Adams, J. Geils Band, Bangles and Bon Jovi, with occasional non-80’s numbers from Van Morrison and Gin Blossoms thrown in.

The final set of the night started with Prince’s “Kiss,” and continued with Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer.” After Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl,” Scotty B showed his vocal skills on Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself,” before Crow demonstrated his vocal range on Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me” and Journey’s “Separate Ways” to close out the night.

It was a workmanlike performance for the Giants Of Science, who accomplished the objective of getting folks out onto the dance floor to have a good time. Except for when they occasionally don the facepaints (which didn’t happen this night), this band won’t be accused of being fancy or frilly about what they do onstage. They do a solid job making their 80’s-intensive rock’n’roll, and giving the crowd a good time. Again, it’s a formula that works, and has kept this band one of the state’s busiest for over a decade.

Scotty B and Mick of the Giants Of Science.

Scotty B of the Giants Of Science.

Scotty B and Mick of the Giants Of Science, making a lady happy.

Crow of the Giants Of Science with some close range dance action.

Mick and Crow of the Giants Of Science.

Crow of the Giants Of Science with a content, dancing fan.

JP’s HAIKU

The flu bug hits hard
Demise Awaits rocks handful
The show must go on

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1