· The Final Cut
11TH MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP 2/19/07 PART 4
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday May 01, 2007 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE WEEKEND RECAP 2/19/07

PART FOUR: SATURDAY 2/17

I continue my recap of Millennium Music Conference weekend in Harrisburg with the showcases I saw on Saturday night.

My Saturday night again began at the Radisson, where I first saw Red Lion's Ergo Sum, displaying emotionally-charged modern rock. Then from North Carolina, Josh Thompson followed with a sound that blended rock, funk and pop textures, both acoustic and electric. Next was one of the most anticipated acts of this year's conference, Brooklyn's Witches In Bikinis. This group delivered what their name advertised; six knockout gorgeous, bikini-clad ladies wearing witch attire, with a four-piece band behind them. But this show was much more than eye candy; this coven of Witches presented a coordinated, choreographed, and theatrical music and dance performance that suggested Rocky Horror meeting the Rockettes! Their musical style updated and recalled 60's-styled girl-group and surf rock. It was an action-packed show, with audience interaction and a constantly playful vibe. I was very impressed! I stuck around for part of the set from the next band, Baltimore's The Hint, who performed a high-energy brand of driving modern pop/rock.

Pictures from the Radisson:

Kicking off the action at the Radisson showcase this night, York's Ergo Sum.

From Clemmon, North Carolina, the Josh Thompson Band.

The namesake of the Josh Thompson Band, 17-year-old singer, songwriter and guitarist Josh Thompson.

Again, the Josh Thompson Band.

Once again, Josh Thompson.

One of the most anticipated bands of this year's Millennium Music Conference, Brooklyn, New York's Witches In Bikinis!

For your viewing pleasure, Witches In Bikinis.

Again, Witches In Bikinis.

Definitely not your ordinary coven of witches…again, Witches In Bikinis!

With Lunapheria singing lead, Witches In Bikinis.

Joya Kristubel of Witches In Bikinis.

Again, Witches In Bikinis…And guys, if you look past the ladies, you might notice that there is a band playing behind them!

Having fun with some audience members onstage, Witches In Bikinis!

Another gratuitous Witches In Bikinis photo. It’s times like this that I really, REALLY enjoy this job!

Again, Witches In Freakin’ Bikinis! We have to bring this show to Altoona, whadya think?

One more time, Witches In Bikinis…Can you tell that I like this band!?

From Baltimore, The Hint.

Again, The Hint.

Jeff Hurn of The Hint.

I then drove to downtown Harrisburg's 2nd Street district and headed to the showcase at Zembie's, arriving as Madison, Wisconsin's Sunspot was performing their set of upbeat, punk-infused hard rock. This coed trio was fun; their witty ode to "Scott Bakula" bounced around in my head for days afterward! Next was my first look at Harrisburg's The Illuminati; their performance was strong, as they sold their eclectic and wide-ranging brand of rock sounds with ample passion and focus. And, some 51 hours after first arriving in the Harrisburg area, I finally hooked up with some hot wings, ordering up some tasty ones at Zembie's (I hear their waffle fries are terrific, too; I'll have to hook up with those on my next visit).

Photos from Zembie's:

From Madison, Wisconsin, Sunspot.

Again, Sunspot. Excuse the big glow from singer/bassist Mike Huberty on the left; he was wearing a reflective guitar strap, which reflected my camera's flash!

Once again, Sunspot.

More Sunspot…

Sunspot guitarist Ben Jaeger takes his show out into the Zembie's audience…and that is Shel Hoachlander taking the photo!

Again, Ben Jaeger of Sunspot.

From Harrisburg, The Illuminati.

Singer/guitarist Stephen Musti of The Illuminati.

Again, The Illuminati.

One more time, The Illuminati.

Once The Illuminati concluded their performance, I headed down 2nd Street to Molly Brannigan's Irish Pub for the next band I wanted to see. After being captivated by their mini-sets on the trade show acoustic stage earlier, I wanted to check out The Elevator Band's official showcase performance. Although they battled some technical issues, this English quintet's enthusiastic funk and reggae-tinged melodic rock convincingly won over the packed-house Molly Brannigan's crowd. And they didn't appear to be suffering from Hershey chocolate withdrawal!

Pictures from Molly Brannigan's:

Playing their official showcase at Molly Brannigan's, The Elevator Band from the United Kingdom.

Singer/guitarist Rob Davies of The Elevator Band.

Again, The Elevator Band.

Keyboardist Karl Waye of The Elevator Band.

Again, Rob Davies of The Elevator Band.

The Elevator Band's two Paul's, bassist Paul Adams and guitarist Paul Dennis.

I then departed Molly Brannigan's to catch one more showcase performance this Saturday night. I finished the night at Kokomo's Downtown, where I experienced my first look at York's Codorus Cruise Line (C.C.L. for short). I enjoyed their brand of feisty, hard-hitting groove rock, topped with some dazzling instrumental fireworks! (Thanks to their cool girlfriends and manager Jim Fetzer for the hospitality!)

Here are some photos from Kokomo's:

From York, Codorus Cruise Line.

Singer/guitarist Brady Henry of Codorus Cruise Line.

Bassist Sean Deibert of Codorus Cruise Line.

Once again, Codorus Cruise Line.

(I'll conclude my Millennium Music Conference recap with the Sunday showcase finale on a separate thread, up shortly.)

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: