ST. PATRICK'S WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/19/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday May 14, 2007 

ST. PATRICK’S WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/19/07

By Five Finger Discount O’Connor, the Lucky Rockpage Leprechaun

BLUEGRASS JAM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/14/07

With no Irish music happening in the town, this laddy had to settle for some bluegrass music at the Hitching Post this night, if that's what you'll be wantin' to know.

It was a bluegrass jam, and some fine local lads were getting together to lay down some nice bluegrass jigs. Johnny O'Stevens on the dobro, Bruce McFoor and Dennis CeRully on the git-fiddles, Kate CeRully on the big ol' bass, and Jeremy Nelson on the banjo. They were a pickin' and a grinnin' on Bucky Owens "Excuse Me (I Think I've Got a Heartache)," and some of the old time blarney bluegrass standards such as "Sittin' On Top of the World," "Man of Constant Sorrow," even a wee bit of the "Mountain Dew" for your listenin' pleasure.

No corned beef and cabbage was to be had, so I dined on some of the house's tasty ribs and fries, magically delicious!

DUSTIN BURLEY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 3/14/07

From the Hitching Post I headed to City Limits to check in with that solo laddy on Wednesday nights, Dustin O'Burley.

Not an Irish tune to be heard, but "Wonderwall" by the Gallagher boys and Oasis would have to suffice. Dustin also showed the good voice and guitarin' on Robert Johnson's "Crossroads," Pink Floyd's "Brain Damage/Eclipse," Men At Work's "Down Under," Kenny Wayne Shepherd's "Blue on Black," the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" and Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing." A couple of times during the show, Dustin welcomed a pretty lassy to the stage named Liz Walker to sing a bit'o'the country music.

There wasn't much of a crowd at the venue, but the show was still good enough to pound a few pints of Guinness to...not that this leprechaun would do that type of thing, I stuck with the local favorite, Yeungling, which looks a little like the Guinness...

SILVER SUNDAY @ THE BAR, ALTOONA 3/16/07

Ay, the weather in this part o'the world was downright frightful this day, a snowstorm dumped a good bit o'the white stuff on the roads; scuttling this leprechaun's plans to journey to the 'Burgh o'Pitt to see the Penguins ice hockey team in action. Instead, I headed to The Bar for some pre-St. Patty's merriment with those lads and lassy, Silver Sunday.

The roads were a wee bit slippy, but not enough to keep the partiers home. Silver Sunday was providing the musical merriment in the midst of the first set as I entered and Brent the barkeep drew up me first draught. Lead lassy Cathie, and her backing lads Buck on guitar, Mike on bass and Todd on the drums were playing the fun tunes like Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry," .38 Special's "Hold On Loosely," Kim Wilde's "Kids in America," Scandal's "The Warrior" and Veruca Salt's "Volcano Girls" to finish the set. Ay, no Irish tunes yet, but the night was still young...

A bit more of the partiers arrived during the intermission. In the audience was the Houtzdale laddy, Paul O'Rainey of Bad Daze, to support his musical brothers and sister this eve.

Soon the band was back on the stage for more playin o'the music. Starting back up with Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Loving You," Silver Sunday did frisky odes from The Outfield, CIV, Goldfinger, No Doubt, the GoGo's, Pat Benatar, Hole, Alanis Morisette and more. A few ladies were doing Riverdancin' on th' floor when Silver Sunday got down with a funky medley, sung by bassman Mike O'Stanley. Lead lassy Cathie was cavorting all around the room, bringing merriment to all. And then the finale, as the ladies of the house all clamored in front of the stage to watch the one and only Bucky Spears do his singing of the Britney ditty "Baby One More Time."

The party resumed again after a wee break, with Silver Sunday doing the party tunes from Sublime, Blondie, the Buggles, Journey, Bryan Adams and more. With the lad Buck singin' lead, the group did Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend," with drummer Todd stepping forth from the drums to tap away on the cowbell. And Mike got his funk up once again for a medley of tunes from House Of Pain, James Brown and more. Again, not an Irish song was performed during the whole night, what's a sufferin' leprechaun to do?

I enjoyed the luck of the Irish in gettin' home in one piece; the roads were still a wee bit slick. But I went home happy to enjoy the good times delivered on the stage by Silver Sunday this night, just the right set-up for the next day, St. Patty's Day!

Buck and Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Silver Sunday ushers in St. Patrick’s Day at The Bar.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Again,Cathie of Silver Sunday. This lassie was all over the place firing up the party!

Several lasses behold the wonder of Bucky Spears of Silver Sunday.

Bucky Spears of Silver Sunday.

Todd Harshbarger and Mike Stanley of Silver Sunday, getting their Irish and their funk up.

Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Knockin’ the blarney out of his cowbells, Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Because you can never have enough cowbell on St. Patty’s weekend, Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Again, Buck and Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Once again, Mike Stanley of Silver Sunday.

KYX @ GLENN’S PLACE, CLAYSBURG 3/17/07

Ahhh, the day any true leprechaun waits for all year was here! St. Patty's Day! This leprechaun was ready to don the green and do some celebratin!'

Along with the wearin' of the green this day, this leprechaun had an appointment to earn some green with a public appearance down Claysburg way at Glenn's Place. En route, I thought I would take a little wee bit of the Michael O'Brian Band's performance at Zach's. Ay, Zach's was packed wall to wall with people celebratin' the day, and after struggling through the crowd to get to Zach's Paddy-o where the Irish lads were playin,' they were charging a hefty bit o' cover charge; moreso than this leprechaun was willing to pay for such a wee bit o'music before heading to Claysburg...so I turned around and left. Zach's didn't used to charge a cover for this day...

I instead headed southward to the Claysburg destination, Glenn's Place, to do some celebratin' with the locals. A couple of the lovely Q94 Calendar ladies, Jamie and Lindsay, soon showed up to join in the merriment, and we greeted St. Patty's revelers while waiting for the band, Kyx, to take the stage.

Shortly after the 10 o'clock hour was struck, Kyx was ready to begin. Featuring Bill Moyer on rhythm guitar and vocals, Glenn Walstrom on bass and vocals, Bill Ferrell and Jim Walstrom on lead guitars and vocals, Terry Wills on keys and vocals, and Chris Sherkel on the drums; Kyx started off with an American song on this night (!), Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Red White and Blue." The group did some of the classic rocking tunes such as "Heard It in a Love Song" by the Marshall Tucker Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd's "I Know a Little," and Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing." They also did a more recent ode, "3 AM" by Matchbox 20. I remained through the rendition of Bob Seger's "Roll Me Away," before departing to catch another of the St. Patty's parties happening on this glorious night...

“Take our picture!” These folks were having a good time as Kyx kicked off their first set.

Kyx gets the party rocking at Glenn’s Place.

Bill Ferrell and Glenn Walstrom of Kyx.

Once again, Kyx.

H8BALL/WAY DOWN EAST/BAD DAZE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 3/17/07

There were lots of Irish shindigs happening in the land this night; this leprechaun proceeded to City Limits to see how three bands – H8ball, Way Down East and Bad Daze – were getting their Irish up this night.

I thought I might arrive too late to see H8ball's set, but the luck of the Irish was with me, and due to a wee bit of miscommunication, O'Zilly the sound engineer arrived later than scheduled and H8ball's set began later. Ricky O'Ramsey on guitar and vocals, Richie McJohnson on bass and vocals, and Oz Christ on drums were in the latter part of their set, and did Alice In Chains' "Would?" and "We Die Young," plus Guns N'Roses' "Mr. Brownstone." What I saw was strong, with Ricky demonstrating gritty voice and stinging gitfiddle work, supported by tightly wound and hard-driving rhythms. Other St. Paddy's revelers said they were kicking up their heels to the group's renditions of Tool and System Of A Down, blarney!

H8ball, getting their Irish up at City Limits.

Rick Ramsey of H8ball.

Oz Christ of H8ball.

Again, H8ball.

Rich Johnson of H8ball.

Rick Ramsey of H8ball, entertaining one leprechaun who has had a wee bit much to drink already!

Again, Oz Christ of H8ball.

Again, Rick Ramsey of H8ball.

One more time, H8ball.

Lots of folks were wearin' the green, drinkin' of the green beer, whiskey in the jar-o and Jager-O'meister, and enjoying the merriment at City Limits. The Underground TV folks were capturing some of the eve's magic on their cameras for an upcoming episode.

Next was Way Down East. Back in action after a wee bit o'time away from stages, Way Down East presented Southern/country-rooted rebel rock powered with a hefty heavy metal wallop. With a portrait of the right honorable Hank Williams, Jr. positioned in front of the drum kit, singer/guitarist Paul Wilson, guitarist/singer Charlie Harr, bassist Jamie "Horse" Gelvin and drummer Randy Wilson fired off a number of new numbers, as well as stomps from their first CD Modern Day Outlaws such as the title song, "ZZ Deathbed," "One Eyed King" and more. Fronted by Paul's razorback roar, Way Down East delivered a full-force wall of sound that brought some fans to the front of the stage to rage along. Way Down East provided a hefty kick to the blarney stones, 'nuff said!

Here is some rough video from Way Down East’s set:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09520.MPG

Way Down East brings their rowdy rebel rock to City Limits.

Paul Wilson of Way Down East.

Charlie Harr of Way Down East.

Again, Way Down East.

Delivering his razorback roar, Paul Wilson of Way Down East.

Paul Wilson and Jamie Gelvin of Way Down East.

Once again, Way Down East.

From a different angle, Way Down East.

One more time, Paul Wilson of Way Down East.

Then Bad Daze took to the stage to escalate the party further. Armed with his cordless mic, lead leprechaun Rockin’ Robby Carolus took control of the house, working all corners of the City Limits complex to make sure everyone in the house was part of the party! Guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul O’Rainey and double-duty pulling drummer Randy Wilson had the house a sham-rockin’ as they fired through favorites from Rage Against the Machine, Staind, Jimmy Eats World, Fallout Boy, Eminem, Weezer, Hinder, Buckcherry, Poison, Pantera, Guns N’Roses, Disturbed, Seether, Saliva, Rob Zombie and more. Bad Daze had merrymakers from throughout the house doing their most festive jigs and riverdances on the City Limits dance floor! A special guest leprechaun helped Rob out, as Ken Gray from Echo Chamber belted out some voice on Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.” It was an exhaustive, fun set that slammed the lid on this night of St. Patty’s merriment! The only disappointing things about these lads’ set were that they didn’t do any Irish numbers (not even any bloody U2!), and the cheap barstads didn’t even hand out any free Lucky Charms!

Ay, it was still a great time, at least what this leprechaun can remember of it!

Wearing his green, BadDazeRob takes his St. Patty’s party throughout City Limits.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Giving his best ‘Old Skool’ pose, Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick and Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

An even better ‘Old Skool’ pose from Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Randy Wilson of Bad Daze.

BadDazeRob continues to spread his St. Patty’s cheer.

Once again spreading the merriment, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Again, Bad Daze.

Bad Daze rocks while one frisky laddy tries to find out what’s under that lassie’s kilt!

Once again, Bad Daze.

More St. Paddyin’ with Bad Daze.

Rob continues to spread the St. Patty’s merriment.

Special guest Ken Gray from Echo Chamber leads the party from the dance floor.

Ken draws a crowd.

Once again, Ken Gray, giving his best Undertaker eye roll.

One more time, Echo Chamber’s Ken Gray leads the Bad Daze party.

Once again, Bad Daze.

Again, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Once again, party mayhem with Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Once again, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Another fan gets his Irish up with Kenny Murdick and Bad Daze.

One more time with feeling, Bad Daze.

9 PLANET TOUR @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/18/07

There was still some wearing of the green and Irish merriment in progress as I arrived at Pellegrine’s late this night to close out my St. Patrick’s weekend with 9 Planet Tour. Unfortunately, though, all of the green pizza from Pelly’s kitchen the night before had been consumed.

9 Planet Tour was on break as I entered the building, but were soon ready to get their Irish up once again for the last set of the night. Lead lassie Erika Marino, guitar lads Brendon Burns and Eric Wertz, bassist Kelly Montgomery and drumbanger Evan Rutherford quickly got the smallish Pelly’s crowd stomping the dance floor with tunes from the B-52’s, Maroon 5, Queens of the Stone Age, Wheatus, Radiohead, Weezer, Guns N’Roses and more. Another guest lassie stepped on the stage midway through the set, Lisa Fazenbaker from Spirit Lost, who provided her best riverdancing beat to Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock’n’Roll.” Erika’s voice was in good form this night, as she showed her vocal firepower on Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine” and the night-ending tribute to Miss Janis Joplin, “Piece of My Heart.” Ay, it was more inspiring than snorting shavings from me bar of Irish Spring!

Another St. Patty’s weekend in the books…It was a merry weekend with lots of shenanigans on and off the stage, leaving this leprechaun very happy…

9 Planet Tour triggers some limited dance floor action at Pellegrine’s.

9 Planet Tour, getting their Irish up.

Brendon Burns of 9 Planet Tour.

Erika Marino of 9 Planet Tour.

Brendon Burns and Kelly Montgomery of 9 Planet Tour.

FIVE FINGER DISCOUNT O’CONNOR’S HAIKU

St. Patty’s weekend
Green beer, parties and music!
Guinness hangovers!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1