· The Final Cut
Drink Tax Begins In Allegheny County
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Jan 20, 2008 

Here is another thing that will affect the bar crowds. Let's hope it does not happen here.

Drink Tax Begins In Allegheny County

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) January 1, 2008 ― Allegheny County's new 10 percent poured drink tax went into effect at 6 a.m.

County Executive Dan Onorato sought the tax to help fund $30 million for mass transit.

Bar and restaurant owners are making their feelings known, including at least one who has listed the tax on the receipt as the "Onorato Tax."

But Onorato says the drink tax is the only real option to fund public transit because he wanted to hold the line on property taxes.
 Back to top »
bassist_25

moxham123 wrote:

10 percent poured drink tax went into effect at 6 a.m.

Wow, that's one helluva tax! Shocked

It's a poured drink tax. Does that mean it only affects drafts then?
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

heard about this. wtf
 Back to top »
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

bassist_25 wrote:
moxham123 wrote:

I'll give you a hint, Paul: How do you make a shot?
bassist_25

lonewolf wrote:
bassist_25 wrote:
moxham123 wrote:

I'll give you a hint, Paul: How do you make a shot?

I guess what I should have asked then was this not affect bottled drinks. LOL
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I found additional information about the Allegheny County drink tax as follows:

Allegheny County Treasurer John Weinstein yesterday said the tax will apply to all retail liquor sales at bars and restaurants, except sales of six-packs.

Pints of draft beer, glasses wine, shots of liquor, bottles of wine, bottles of beer, bottles of distilled spirits and mixed drinks sold at bars and restaurants will be subject to the tax, Mr. Weinstein said. He will soon draw up rules of how the tax will be implemented.

However, "a six-pack of beer will not be taxed," he said, noting the drink tax here will be modeled after Philadelphia's tax.

The regulations require restaurateurs and bar owners to pay the tax monthly, by the 25th day following the month in which the tax is collected (January's taxes, for instance, are due Feb. 25).

The Philadelphia tax does not apply to sales at state stores or beer distributors; it also is not levied on six-packs purchased for carry-out from taverns.

Philadelphia's liquor sales tax, enacted in 1994, also 10 percent, was intended to raise revenue for the city's ailing school district.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Mr. Sokoloff noted that the 10 percent drink tax will be on top of five other tiers of liquor taxation already in place.

In Pennsylvania, all liquor license holders must purchase wine and spirits from the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.

The PLCB charges a 30 percent markup; a "bottle charge" of $1.25 per bottle; a round-up to the nearest 9 cents ($21.82 becomes $21.89); an 18 percent "Johnstown flood tax" that was enacted in 1936 to rebuild that city but has remained in effect ever since; and the 7 percent sales tax in Allegheny County.
 Back to top »
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

moxham123 wrote:
an 18 percent "Johnstown flood tax" that was enacted in 1936 to rebuild that city but has remained in effect ever since

Oh.. I though J-town was back up...
Jim Price

As I recall, there has been discussion about a similar tax being levied in State College, to pay for police services because of alcohol-related crimes in State College (DUI's, public drunkeness, etc.). I know it's been reported on the news a few times in recent months.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Jim Price wrote:
As I recall, there has been discussion about a similar tax being levied in State College, to pay for police services because of alcohol-related crimes in State College (DUI's, public drunkeness, etc.). I know it's been reported on the news a few times in recent months.

Heh, heh, heh. I guess they want us to believe that they don't make enough from fines and costs and that they don't have quotas and that the whole DUI issue is for our safety and not a legal racket to put money into police coffers?
ZappasXWife

Post Posted: Monday Jan 21, 2008 

Yea, isn't that ridiculous (re Centre County drink tax). Somone's getting rich over this, OR they are doing this as part of an effort to get excessive drinking under control (thats what they said...these ultra-conservatives running a college town). When are they going to realize the kids (meaning 21 yr olds) are now ADULTS and maybe its time to stop trying to control their behavior and let them take some responsibility for their own actions. The drinking is not going to stop, and guess what, alcohol is legal! There was an article in the CDT about the horrors of pre-loading before going out drinking, and the theory that is why these kids are getting so drunk. HHhmmm, let me think, why would I pre-load? Oh yea, because drinks at the bar are so expensive. This is not an answer to their problem but I think it is lining someone's pockets.
DrumAndDestroy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

ZappasXWife wrote:
Yea, isn't that ridiculous (re Centre County drink tax). Somone's getting rich over this, OR they are doing this as part of an effort to get excessive drinking under control (thats what they said...these ultra-conservatives running a college town). When are they going to realize the kids (meaning 21 yr olds) are now ADULTS and maybe its time to stop trying to control their behavior and let them take some responsibility for their own actions. The drinking is not going to stop, and guess what, alcohol is legal! There was an article in the CDT about the horrors of pre-loading before going out drinking, and the theory that is why these kids are getting so drunk. HHhmmm, let me think, why would I pre-load? Oh yea, because drinks at the bar are so expensive. This is not an answer to their problem but I think it is lining someone's pockets.

yup
 Back to top »
Peter Fitzwell
Hairy Member
Hairy Member

It definately sux for everyone, BUT, it's not going to stop people from going out or drinking. Just like cigarettes. People still pay the price to smoke, but a lot are now purchasing cheaper brands or rolling their own to save money.

So, I think what this will lead to is more "pre-loading" and perhaps, bringing your own drinks in the car and making periodic trips to the parking lot. That's what I'd do.

So if that happens, and more people do it and more people find out people are doing this, then there will be a whole other set of regulations and blah, blah blah.

Someone's making money off of this for the WRONG reasons and it's gonna bite someone in the ass eventually.
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: