· Home
· Band Pages
· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
BACKYARD ROCKER 3/23/08 (MY TURNING POINT)
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Homegrown Rocker
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Mar 23, 2008 

Hello Everyone,

Here is the recap of the March 23 edition of Q94's weekly local music program, "The Backyard Rocker," which airs every Sunday night from 8 to 10 PM on WBXQ 94.3.

Thanks to our guests in the studio this week; Jim Bagrosky, John Placer and Chris Kane of area hard rockers My Turning Point (www.myspace.com/myturningpoint). We updated My Turning Point and their progress on area stages, discussed their music and future plans, and heard tracks from their debut CD from last year, Seclusion Serves Me Well. We also debuted new songs from Torn From Red and Satanic Bat, updated Local Music News, and reviewed 44 Mag’s latest CD, Past Sins, in “The Professor’s CD Corner.” (The review can be read in the “Backyard Rocker” section of the message board area on Q94’s website, www.wbxq.com.) And since Jim Bagrosky was in the studio, we flashed back to 2000 to hear a song from one of his previous bands, Stept On, for a Local Music Flashback.

You can download mp3’s of both hours of the broadcast on the home page of Q94’s website, www.wbxq.com. The mp3’s should be posted sometime on Monday. Also, due to unforeseen circumstances, last week’s show wasn’t able to be posted on the website this past week; but should also be posted on Q94’s website sometime on Monday.

Here is this week’s playlist:

HOUR ONE:

THE MARAUDERS – “New Tattoo”
ROB WALLACE & THE MESS – “Cross That Mason-Dixon Line”
MY TURNING POINT – “Broken Man”
TORN FROM RED – “We All Die Young”
MY TURNING POINT – “Found My Way”
NITEKAST – “Humidity”
MY TURNING POINT – “In My Head”
SATANIC BAT – “Norse Sagas”

HOUR TWO:

SIGNAL LOST (LOSE THE NAME) – “One More Lie”
HI-TYDE – “Broken”
MY TURNING POINT – “Words Are Not Enough/Everlasting”
44 MAG – “Disfigure”
MY TURNING POINT – “Stop”
STEPT ON – “Snowed In” (2000, Local Music Flashback)
MY TURNING POINT – “Under My Skin”

Next Sunday night, our guests in the studio will be Indiana-based rock trio Dollarz-N-Sense. We’ll meet the band members, learn their story to date, and hear songs from their full-length CD and recently issued EP. We’ll also update Local Music News, and review Rockabilly Junction’s CD Don’t Let It Fool You in “The Professor’s CD Corner!” Dollarz-N-Sense visits the “Backyard Rocker,” next Sunday night!

Forthcoming guests and specials include:

APR. 6 – Ledbetter Heights
APR. 20 – Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band
APR. 27 – Zupe & Nichols
MAY 4 – Solegion
MAY 11 – JustMegan
MAY 18 – Rise Phoenix Rise (tentative)
MAY 25 – Memorial Day Special
JUNE 1 – Sarah Fleck & the Palpitations
JUNE 8 – Evelyn’s Ashes
JUNE 15 – Father’s Day Special
JUNE 29 – Rockabilly Junction (tentative)

The "Backyard Rocker" is happy to announce its continued partnership with "The Underground TV," the local/regional music television show airing on WATM ABC 23 Friday mornings at 1:30 AM and on WWPC Fox 8 Sunday mornings at 1:30 AM. Check out "The Underground" as it features different unsigned local and regional bands every week; and watch for "Backyard Rocker" updates on the show each week as well! Their new television season is under way!

For regular updates on what is happening on the area music scene, pay a visit to Rockpage (www.rockpage.net). Rockpage features band links, a message board, "Backyard Rocker" updates, the online 'zine publication "The Final Cut," and other local music scene information.

Bands and artists interested in having music aired on "The Backyard Rocker" are invited to send their broadcast-quality recordings to: WBXQ Radio, 2513 6th Avenue, Altoona, PA 16601; ATTN: Jim Price. Or drop the recordings off at the station during regular business hours, Monday-Friday 9 AM - 5 PM.

Q94’s “Backyard Rocker” has been introducing listeners to the region’s best musical talent for over ten years, and we plan to do it for many more. Help guarantee the program’s future, and consider becoming an advertising sponsor of the “Backyard Rocker.” If your business involves music, a “Backyard Rocker” sponsorship can get your message in front of listeners interested in music. To inquire about becoming a sponsor of the “Backyard Rocker,” call Diane Boslet during regular business hours at (814) 943-6112, or email diane@wbxq.com.

Jim Price

In Local Music News…

There are several upcoming benefit concerts in the region to report.

First, next Saturday night, The Cantina in Altoona and six area bands will join forces to help out an area youngster battling liver cancer. The Benefit for Chance will raise funds to help out 8-year-old Chance Dull from the Bedford area, who was recently diagnosed with a rare form of liver cancer. The show will start at 7 PM, and will feature performances from the bands Sever, FedUp, D ick Shack Posse, The Embalmed, Dragon Fire and The Marauders. Donation at the door will be $5, and there will be door prizes and giveaways.

Coming up on Sunday, April 6, The “Rock to Stop Hunger” benefit concert will take place at Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s Hadley Union Building Ohio Room. Proceeds from the all-ages show will benefit the Pathway Homeless Shelter in Blacklick. The doors open at 5:30 PM. The concert will feature performances from the bands Ruckus & the Trousers, The Hormones, Neutrulize, August and Gasoline Dion. Advance tickets are $8, or pay $10 at the door. The concert is being hosted by IUP’s Gamma Sigma Sigma Fraternity.

And on Saturday, April 12, four area bands will donate their talents to help out local music fan and gastroparesis patient Christine Kliciewicz at a benefit show at the Oriental Ballroom in Gallitzin. The show will run from 5 to 9 PM, and will feature performances from the bands Full Kilt, Beyond Reason, Atomic Blonde and The Red Arrow. Donation at the door will be $10.

The arrival of Spring means that it’s just about Crazy Fest time again. The 18th annual Crazy Fest Amateur Youth Talent Show will take place on Sunday afternoon, April 27, beginning at 1 PM at the Greenwood Firehall. Organized and hosted by local entertainer Dennie Huber, Crazy Fest offers a stage for young amateur entertainers 21 and under to showcase their talents and compete for trophies, plaques, ribbons and other prizes, as well as experience a moment in the limelight in front of a friendly and supportive audience. Entertainers can be from any discipline, including musicians, singers, dancers and more. Youngsters and amateur bands wishing to perform at Crazy Fest are welcome to contact Dennie Huber for an application at (814) 942-2516.

Finally, some changes and reshuffling for the band Nitekast. Looking to fill their vacant drumming position, bassist Josh Oaks has taken over behind the kit, and Bobby Boring joins to take over on bass. Meanwhile, Nitekast has also added a new second vocalist, as Lily Taylor will sing and play keys alongside lead singer and guitarist Brandon Scalese.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Homegrown Rocker
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: