· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 2/20/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 11, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 2/20/06

VOODOO BULLET @ THE BREWERY, STATE COLLEGE 2/16/06

With the weather cooperating this night, I decided a journey to State College was in order to catch some live music. Although the temptation of The Nightcrawlers at the Phyrst was strong, I decided to head instead to The Brewery to see Tokyo Vertigo during their weekly Thursday show.

But when I arrived at The Brewery, I soon learned that Tokyo Vertigo had cancelled out of the show, and another State College band, Voodoo Bullet, was filling. Since I hadn’t seen either band before, it was all good with me.

Over the two sets I saw, singer/guitarist Brant Levi, guitarists Dan Rowley and R.M. “Burk” Burkholder Jr., bassist Steve Gallucci and drummer Troy Orner mixed hard-rocking 80’s, 90’s and current favorites from such names as Poison, Duran Duran, Velvet Revolver, Rage Against the Machine, Sponge, Neil Young, Alice In Chains, Linkin Park and more. Voodoo Bullet’s style was hard-rocking with a touch of reckless abandon, as the group had fun and never took themselves too seriously. More fans were enjoying this show as the night progressed, including a contingent of wild and drunken State College women that arrived during the intermission. During the third set, several of these ladies made their way onto the stage to dance alongside the band members. Voodoo Bullet and the fun crowd made it a typically fun Thursday night in Happy Valley…At least until after I left the venue.

After the show, as I walked back to the Pugh Street parking garage where I was parked, I noticed several police cars and an ambulance gathered across the street from the garage outside Tony’s Big Easy and Club Love; and the ambulance speeding away as I stepped inside the garage. At the time, I figured it was a barroom brawl or some youngster’s 21st birthday party “bar tour” gone seriously awry. It was only when I saw the television news the next day when I learned that somebody got stabbed inside the men’s room at Club Love, and was clinging to life in an area hospital. (He eventually died.) Not even State College was immune to the senseless violence any more!

Voodoo Bullet, rocking The Brewery.

Burk of Voodoo Bullet.

With a dancing lady onstage, Voodoo Bullet.

With more dancing ladies onstage, Voodoo Bullet.

Brant Levi and Steve Gallucci of Voodoo Bullet.

Burk of Voodoo Bullet.

Cloaked in the Red, White and Blue, Brant Levi of Voodoo Bullet.

Again, Burk of Voodoo Bullet.

Dan Rowley of Voodoo Bullet.

Again, Dan Rowley of Voodoo Bullet.

Burk and Dan of Voodoo Bullet.

Once again, Voodoo Bullet.

One more time, Dan and Burk of Voodoo Bullet.

EXIT 10 @ YESTERDAY’S PARTY, EBENSBURG 2/17/06

I was up for catching a new band in action this night, so I roadtripped up the hill to Ebensburg to check in with Exit 10, performing at Yesterday’s Party. I arrived near the end of Exit 10’s first set, in time to witness a rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and an original song, the slow “Gone Forever.”

This night featuring former Outta Control singer/guitarist Mike Burda, lead guitarist Chris Spaid, bassist Erik White and former Stix and Stones/ I Enemy drummer Jamie Kmett, Exit 10 mixed up their set list with a blend of high-octane classic and current rock favorites. Their second set kicked off with Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” and continued with numbers from John Mellencamp, Bryan Adams, Tommy Tutone, James, Kenny Loggins, Seether and more. Highlights during this set included the group’s pairing of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” with the McCoys’ “Hang On Sloopy,” and another original song, the rowdy and redneck-flavored “Swamp Ass.”

A good-sized crowd was present at Y-P this night, and steadily started to populate the dance floor more as the night progressed. Exit 10 was keeping the musical action tight and nonstop, and their fun presentation and upbeat vibes helped increasingly fill the dance floor.

Exit 10 kicked off their third set with Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me,” and continued with tunes from Rick Springfield, John Mellencamp, Men at Work, REO Speedwagon, Green Day, Ramones and more. Highlights during this set included a fast-firing 80’s pop medley that fused together portions of The Proclaimers’ “(I’m Gonna Be) 500 Miles,” Katrina & the Waves’ “Walking on Sunshine,” the Romantics’ “What I Like About You,” John Mellencamp’s “R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.” and Neil Diamond’s “Cherry Baby” (Be still my heart, a band doing a Neil Diamond number other than “Sweet Caroline!”); and the group’s set-ending punkish original song, “The F**k You Song.” When the Y-P crowd demanded more at the end of the night, Exit 10 responded with Blues Traveler’s “Runaround” and Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself.”

Exit 10, bringing the party to Y-P.

Mike Burda of Exit 10.

Back in action, Jamie Kmett of Exit 10.

Chris Spaid of Exit 10.

Exit 10 brings some action to Yesterday’s Party’s dance floor.

Again, Mike Burda of Exit 10.

Erik White of Exit 10.

Once again, Exit 10.

The party continues with Exit 10.

Again, Jamie Kmett of Exit 10.

OZONE RANGERS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 2/18/06

My apologies to Justin Mackovyak this night. My initial game plan was to head up to the Blue Knob Clubhouse to catch Justin’s performance while he was back in the area. However, it only took a few seconds after stepping outside the door and feeling the single-digit temperatures and frigid air to realize that Blue Knob was not where I wanted to be this night!

So I decided to hang in town this night, and catch another group that doesn’t perform around here too much any more. The Ozone Rangers were making their debut at The Hitching Post.

I arrived at the Hitching Post towards the end of the Ozone Rangers’ first set, and was surprised by two things – first, the only recognizable Ranger onstage was frontman/guitarist Bob Muhlbauer; flanked by two of his Buffalo, New York brethren, Brendan Komenda on drums and Howard Wallace on bass. I soon learned that Howard was filling in for Bill Nusom, who was under the weather this night and recuperating at home. The other thing I was surprised about was the lack of crowd at the Hitching Post; I thought this place would be packed! Perhaps the frigid temperatures were keeping everybody at home this night; but the Post was only lightly populated as I procured my first brew and staked out a table to watch the Rangers as they finished up their first set with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps.”

In reliable Ozone Rangers fashion, the group’s middle set was nonstop ZZ Top, as the group broke out the Texas trio’s biggest hits and some ZZ deep cuts as well. Some of the ZZ selections during this set included “Waiting for the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago,” “Beer Drinkers and Hellraisers,” “Cheap Sunglasses,” “Got Me Under Pressure,” “Pearl Necklace,” “Rough Boy,” “Gimme All Your Lovin,’” “Blue Jean Blues,” “Tube Snake Boogie,” “Tush,” “I Thank You,” and the set-ending rendition of “La Grange” with its “Third Stone from the Sun” homestretch.

A special guest stepped up during the Rangers’ third set. Banditos frontman Wally Archer sang lead on the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild,” and the pairing of Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music” into the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” The Ozone Rangers also did songs from Cheap Trick, Ted Nugent, George Thorogood, Stealer’s Wheel and more. The group also broke out an unexpected rendition of Tone-Loc’s “Funky Cold Medina,” and an audience request for Jim Croce’s “Bad Bad Leroy Brown.”

Although the crowd size was a little disappointing, the Ozone Rangers made sure those who did show up had a good time. Their party heated things up on a cold Saturday night.

Howard Wallace and Bob Muhlbauer of the Ozone Rangers.

Again, Howard and Bob of the Ozone Rangers.

Brendan Komenda of the Ozone Rangers.

Again, Howard Wallace of the Ozone Rangers.

Again, Bob Muhlbauer of the Ozone Rangers.

More of Howard and Bob of the Ozone Rangers.

More Ozone Rangers jamming with Howard and Bob.

Once again, Bob Muhlbauer.

More Ozone Rangers!

Yet again, Bob Muhlbauer of the Ozone Rangers.

Bob Muhlbauer demonstrates some Jack Daniels bottleneck slide.

Banditos’ Wally Archer joins the Ozone Rangers during their third set.

Still more Bob Muhlbauer of the Ozone Rangers.

Again, Wally Archer and the Ozone Rangers.

Once again, the Ozone Rangers.

Once again, Howard Wallace of the Ozone Rangers.

One more time, Bob Muhlbauer of the Ozone Rangers.

Again, Brendan Komenda of the Ozone Rangers.

JOHN BAKER MEMORIAL BENEFIT @ DAVEY’S, HASTINGS 2/19/06

The first of two benefit shows in memory of recently departed area musician and friend John Baker was taking place this Sunday afternoon and evening at Davey’s Lounge in Hastings. Like many career musicians, John was uninsured, so proceeds from this show were helping to pay for his funeral expenses.

Unfortunately for me, I had already booked a guest on Q94’s “Backyard Rocker” for this night, before John’s passing and the announcement of this benefit. So while I was able to attend, I could only stay for one band, Homer’s Army. Keith Homerski was back in the Army line-up this afternoon, and the group sounded good on tunes from Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Allman Brothers, The Who, Big & Rich, Billy Idol, AC/DC and more.

This show also featured performances from Hi-Tyde, Bad Daze, Felix & the Hurricanes, Smokin J’s (featuring Sam Pagano and Tony Mastrin, both making trips in from Pittsburgh to be a part of this special day), Aces and Eights (formerly Driving Sideways) and 513. I was glad to later learn that this was a successful day, with $1,100 raised.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/19/06

After I finished my “Backyard Rocker” duties, I finished up the weekend at Pellegrine’s, where Green Eggs was bringing another party.

Celebrating over ten years and 1,500 shows, the dynamic foursome of singer/bassist Brad Nicarry, singer/keyboardist Brian Nicarry, guitarist/singer Steve Nelson and drummer Doug Black kept the music and dance grooves nonstop and airtight, guaranteeing a packed dance floor throughout the night.

I noted some of the keys to Green Eggs’ continued success in practice this night. This group continually adds new songs to their show; this night, Kelly Clarkson’s “Since U Been Gone” made an appearance, a song I hadn’t heard them do before. A number of reliable favorites were in the Green Eggs mix this night as well, including the Beastie Boys’ “Brass Monkey,” Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back,” Abba’s “Dancing Queen,” Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer” and more. And while the group did another diverse mixture of sounds this night, they managed to again get these styles to coexist in seamless grooves that kept the dance floor busy. By night’s end, the crowd was so fired up that they didn’t want the party to end; Green Eggs responded to their encore demands with Fallout Boy’s “Sugar We’re Goin’ Down.”

Ten years and over 1,500 shows…Judging by this night, it doesn’t look like Green Eggs has any plans to slow down yet.

Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

Brad and Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Again, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Breaking out the megaphone, Brian Nicarry.

The ever-familiar sight of Green Eggs and a crowded dance floor at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

Doug Black of Green Eggs.

Once again, Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

Yet again, Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

One more time, the Green Eggs dance party.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: