no
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 21

mjb
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Oct 06, 2008 

I for one have had enough with the political ramblings on here. i think RP should become "politics-free". theres plenty of websites where individuals can argue with each other and call each other names. i just don't think this is the place for it any longer. this is comming from a firm believer in "if it doesn't intrest you don't open it". the latest name calling thread has pissed me off and i'm tired of getting on here and having to read that bullshit. so put in your vote and we'll see what happens. if users want polotics on here, well then so be it. if the majority don't then maybe ron and jp will get rid of it or give it it's own section.
 Back to top »
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Oct 06, 2008 

I hated it at first. Then didn't mind it as much. Almost started to read it. But... it causes a lot of conflicts on here because people are very very opinionated about politics. The fact that it's politics doesn't bother me, its how everyone jumps down everyones throats about their opinions.

I just don't think its good for the board.

But what do I know, I'm just a guitar player.
bassist_25

Post Posted: Tuesday Oct 07, 2008 

This question gets brought up just about everytime there's a lot of political debate on Rockpage.

Personally, I feel that the name-calling gets pretty asinine. I pretty much only post in political threads if I feel that I have something really important or unique to say; however, I make a conscious effort not to engage the people who take things way too seriously and get into Internet shouting matches.

But as I always say when these types of polls get brought up: It's really up to Ron, anyways.
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I vote no. Keep the politics on RP. They make me laugh. We all get a little emotional at times, but hey whatever. It's fucking hilarious to see such cool headed, mature adults flip shit and personally insult each others mothers, families,and look like idiots. Fuck Yeah! Vote or Die bitches!!!
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

How about if we changed "The Law" section into "The Law & Politics", since alot of the time they go hand in hand.
songsmith

Post Posted: Wednesday Oct 08, 2008 

Nah. The namecalling usually comes from the dim ones, when someone else points out something that's hard to argue. People tend to take a 100% stance, liberal or conservative, and that's what gets them in trouble. Once they get their sh*t chilled, then they want an end to politics in the forum.
I feel you shouldn't censor something because the dim ones can't be involved without getting mean.
Politics is a big-boy sport. It's not the cover vs. original inanity, or the Tom Brady injury debate, or the Metallica suck/rule argument... what you vote has a real effect. Some take that kinda seriously, and get involved. So, either get involved in a discussion, or... don't get involved, it's all good.
That said, if politics were banned on Rockpage, I'd abide by it.------>JMS
 Back to top »
orangekick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you ban politics, what's next? Once one thing is banned someone else will have an issue with some other topic and then that one is banned. Pretty soon no one will be able to type anything without fear of banning.

With that being said, maybe it should have its own section or something. I have seen that on a few other websites and it seems to work.
 Back to top »
metalchurch
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Politics are nothing more than a strong opinion on something, whether that be in actual politics or an opinion on something non related, so conceiveably politics can never be banned. Just because some do not understand the content of discussion doesn't make it taboo. It's the name calling here that I think has been the biggest argument. Some of us get heated and sometimes let something slip, but there's a line that should not be crossed. It in the rules of the forum, simple as that.
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Furthermore, I've seen forums put a ban on taboo subjects such as politics or religion. The problem is subjects like that don't fit into neat and tidy boxes. Often, someone at one of those forums may make a thread about something like the price of gas or unionization or something like that, for example. Then everybody is treading carefully, because the thread could easily turn political. Likewise, if you make a thread about existentialism or something, it's hard to get a full scope of the philosophy without mentioning religion or spirituality.
bfoust
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't like politics, but without it, this place would be kinda dead.. so.. I don't see a problem with it.. the ole "If you don't like it, don't click on it" theory Smile
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Oct 10, 2008 

A musician said to me about a week ago, "I never paid much attention to politics until I started reading the politics on Rockpage. Some of you guys are pretty smart. I'm going to vote and I know who I'm going to vote for".

Wow...that made my day.

It's not who's side your on as much as it is, Are you paying attention to the world around you ? Believe me, I've learned a lot on Rockpage because I get challenged. The give and take of it all is a facet of life everyone should be involved in at some level.

Like music, if you don't challenge yourself (or allow your self to be challenged) - you become stagnant !

I am passionate about politics, but if everyone did what I said, this world would probably be in a mess. Laughing But I try to understand enough that I can develop an opinion. Everyone should have a political opinion.

Get Educated Arrow Go Vote Exclamation

Leave politics on Rockpage. It's no different than any other non music related thread. And this is like hanging out at a bar with a band playing in the background - any subject could come up at any time. If you don't like it. Take a walk to the john.
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Viewer Polls
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: