· The Forums
· The Final Cut
JP's HIGHLIGHT REEL - 2003
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Jan 02, 2004 

JP’S HIGHLIGHT REEL – 2003

Yes, we’ve reached that time of year again, to cross the threshold into a new year. As we do, let me dish out my assessment of some of the good things I will remember 2003 for, both on the area’s live stages and on CD, plus some photos to boot. First, here are my 10 favorite area music scene shows and moments of 2003. These are in no particular order:

1) THE GRIMM “RESURRUPTION” CD RELEASE GALA. After spending 53 straight weekends of intense work on their concept album masterpiece, Resurruption, The Grimm pulled all the stops for the CD release event at Peter C’s in late March, collaborating with Phantom X Productions to present an unforgettable audiovisual unveiling of the album. As The Grimm performed the Resurruption album in its entirety, Phantom X generated video graphics from the album on a video screen next to the stage. The use of the video imagery, costuming, and energy in the packed house as it all unfolded made this one of the most memorable shows of 2003. (The Grimm did this up even bigger and better in September, but I’m listing the original Resurruption CD release for being the first audiovisual spectacle of its type to be tried on area stages in several years).

2) FELIX & THE HURRICANES’ BIKINI BLUES CRUISE. A perfect summer day, bikinis, beer, and Hurricanes aboard the Proud Mary at Lake Raystown set the stage for one of my favorite highlights of 2003. Who can forget the sight of musicians ducking as the boat passed under the highway overpass!? And of course, the legendary moment when Felix handed off his guitar to guest Dwane Edmiston in midsong and dove off the boat’s top deck into the drink! (And the jet ski that was supposed to return Felix to the boat, running out of fuel!) One of the summer’s best parties!

3) INVERSION/NINE SIX NINE/SUICIDE SWITCH/BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY ALL AGES SHOW. One of the last all-ages shows at Peter C’s before the legislators in Harrisburg messed things up with the controversial Chaperone Amendment, this late January blast of four of this area’s most ferocious bands had shown just how much the all ages show scene had come together. By Any Means Necessary (with frontman Carl’s throat giving out halfway through), Suicide Switch (not even originally on the bill, but playing on short notice when another band cancelled out), Nine Six Nine and Inversion unleashed their respective beasts and left it all on the stage. The house was packed with under-21 and over-21 fans; there was even a CD marketplace set up in the back of the room. The heated performances, the energy between the bands and crowd, and the cooperation between all the bands to take this show above and beyond made this a special night. This show, as far as I’m concerned, was the pinnacle of all-ages shows at Peter C’s since Big John had started doing them the previous year; too bad the idiots in Harrisburg had to screw things up!

4) THE FRONT REUNION CONCERT. When one of the most popular bands in Altoona rock history, The Front, reunited onstage at Altoona’s Bavarian Hall in early April, they pulled all the stops to make it a unforgettable event! Elaborate concert-caliber sound and lighting, a crowd of over 800 people and The Front playing their biggest hits and favorite classics from their earlier tenure on area stages combined to make this an excellent night, with proceeds benefiting the Make A Wish Foundation and Athlene Stere Scholarship Fund.

5) JUICED AT PELLEGRINES: THE CARRIE 30TH BIRTHDAY BLOWOUT. For sheer fun, this one was a hoot! With singer Carrie Rapaport celebrating her 30th birthday, the night started out as the typical high-energy Juiced party. But midway through their second set, Carrie’s bandmates sicked a male stripper decked in police officer attire on her, to the delight of all the female fans in Pelly’s this night. (The male fans received their own treat later in the evening, courtesy of two female fans getting it on during the third set.) While I enjoyed plenty of Juiced parties during the past year, this one stood out above the bunch for me during 2003.

6) HALF TEMPTED AT GLENN’S PLACE: JOE GEORGE’S LAST STAND. Veteran area bass player Joe George is relocating to Pittsburgh in the new year to take on an exciting new career opportunity. But it means that he has to hang up his double-neck bass, as least on a full-time basis. Joe played his final show with Half Tempted in December at Glenn’s Place in Claysburg, and it turned into a wild and crazy star-studded classic rock blowout, as Joe’s fans, friends, former bandmates and others crowded into Glenn’s to give him a send-off he would never forget! The night turned into what one onstage guest termed “an orgy of lead singers,” as Joe’s former Rapidfire/Shattered China bandmate Steve Oswalt, Flight 19’s Brian Thomas, former Sidewalk Romeo/Jack Daddy frontman Adam D and others each took turns on the lead mic. This was a fun, beer-soaked blowout! Thanks, Joe, for all the cool musical memories and for turning me into a Pellegrine’s buffalo wing addict, and best of luck on your new endeavor!

7) THE GLENN PENTLAND BENEFIT CONCERT AT BEERBELLIES. Glenn Pentland found out how many friends he had this night. In need of a heart transplant, Glenn was the beneficiary of a special night of live rock’n’roll fun at Beerbellies. Silver Sunday and Hair Force One combined forces to put on an excellent party to raise money for Glenn; both bands kept the packed house happy and upbeat all night! The Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse even got in on the charity, selling digital pictures of himself with fans with monies going to Glenn! All-around cool night, Beerbellies was partying!

8) THE SUMMER BREAK BAND BASH AT LEGION PARK. Despite monsoonal rains all afternoon, this late May outdoor show (under a pavilion) was a good time, as a number of young fans came out to support a day-long slate of bands, including Keystone All Stars, The Vicars, Choco Sam, No Complaint, Kor On Four, Red Forty, Destroy Elroy and more. My favorite memory of this day was Choco Sam’s set, particularly when they had the whole stagefront throng of fans jumping up and down wildly to their version of Primus’ “Too Many Puppies.”

9) THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSICIAN “TOYS FOR TOTS” BENEFIT AT CITY LIMITS. Pennsylvania Musician Magazine had staged annual pre-holiday season benefit concerts in the Harrisburg area for several years; this was the first such benefit they staged in our area, at City Limits in November. It turned out being an excellent night, with a packed house, Pennsylvania Musician first couple Whitey and Robin Noll making their first ever visit to Altoona, 3 representatives from the U.S. Marine Corps in Ebensburg in attendance, and fiery performances from Felix & the Hurricanes, Bad Daze, Shift and the debut performance of Wake Up Screaming. Over $1,000 in money was raised, plus several hundred dollars’s worth of toys for Toys for Tots. This night went so well that there will likely be a sequel in 2004!

10) THE ROCK THE HOUSE BENEFIT AT GREENHOUSE PARK IN JOHNSTOWN. Another first-time event that turned out being excellent was the inaugural Rock The House Benefit at Greenhouse Park in Johnstown in late September. The brainchild of Pivot/former Bonedigger/Creep frontman Mark Lux, proceeds from Rock the House benefited the IMAC Foundation, an organization that makes alternative medicines and medical procedures available to folks who can’t afford them. The weather was perfect, as the event cleared Hurricane Isabel’s visit to our region by just two days. And the bands came and gave all; performances by Skell (my first look at Skell with new frontman Pat “Bones” Bono), Semichrome, Rennis, Pivot, NE-146 and Stept On were particularly strong this day. Hundreds of music fans were in attendance, and several thousand dollars was raised; watch for this event to return bigger and better next year!

JP’s TEN FAVORITE LOCAL/REGIONAL CD’S OF 2003:

Most of the new albums I listened to over the past year were albums from right here in the local area and region. I didn’t get to hear everything this state put out in 2003, but out of what I did hear, these are my favorites (in no particular order)…

1) THE GRIMM – RESURRUPTION What more can be said about Resurruption? The Grimm’s concept album masterpiece gave us compelling music; a cohesive, linear story line; mood-establishing ambience and special effects; intelligent lyrics and clever plot twists; and one of the year’s best rocking thrill rides, local or national! This album set the stage for two memorable audiovisual CD-release extravaganzas at Peter C’s; and slammed the exclamation point on The Grimm’s legitimacy as bold rock adventurers unafraid to take a complex idea and run with it. This album deserves a national audience; but we can take pride in the fact that an album like this came out of our backyard right here in central PA! Like Operation: Mindcrime was to Queensryche, Resurruption will be looked upon years from now as The Grimm’s defining moment. A monumental achievement. (To obtain, visit www.thegrimm.com)

2) (VARIOUS ARTISTS) – ROCKSBURY: MUSICIANS FOR KIDS It would be easy enough for me simply to tell you to buy this album, because the proceeds help out a worthwhile effort, Dylan’s Heart Fund, which helps out area children with life-threatening ailments and their families. But on top of that, this album is simply excellent from beginning to end. Several flavors of music are nicely delivered here, from robust blues-rock displays from Frankie and the Nomads (“Fool for Your Love,” “Blues in the Key of I,” “The Way It Goes”) and Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys (“Like A Mule,” “Folsom Prison Blues”) to delta and country blues stylings from John Charney with White Mojo (“I’ve Got My Mojo Workin,’” “521 Back Door Man,” “Evil” and “I Put A Spell on You”), a feisty jam/funk display from Dave Distefano with Grinning Mob (“Light the Fire, Get Down”) and instrumental rock from Wine Of Nails (“Buddy” and “John Wayne Ethic”). The performances are mostly new (the Wine Of Nails tracks are both from previously-released albums), fresh and inspired, and the overall sound of the album is crisp and full. Kudos to organizer Denny Owens and all the musicians involved for a job well done, and for donating their talents to help out others in need. Buy this album! (To obtain, visit www.cfalleghenies.org; can also be purchased at Q94 offices)

3) FELIX & THE HURRICANES – TRAVELERS NOT FORGOTTEN According to Felix Kos’ liner notes, he and his Hurricanes have yearned to grow, and achieve the ultimate high in their expression of music every night they play. Both goals are achieved on the group’s second album, Travelers No Forgotten. Altoona’s favorite blues rockers have taken the foundation established on their debut CD, The Feeling, and expanded upon it. The Hurricanes still proudly tip their hats to traditional Southern rock on the title instrumental and “Walking a Straight Line,” “Grow” and the instrumental “The Rest of September.” But the trio experiment with jazz flavors on “Moonlighting” and a progression of textures on “Sabra;” rock hard on “Issues,” “Little Ears,” the funk-geared “It’s Not Me” and “Slug In a Puddle;” blend several textures and effects on “The Love We Share;” and flesh out a patriotic acoustic ballad in the Dan Myers II-written and sung “Lady Liberty.” Not to mention that groovy Latin-tinged ode to a Sunday night local music radio program (modesty prohibits me). The Hurricanes demonstrate the eagerness to grow and experiment with different styles and textures on Travelers Not Forgotten tying it all together with superb musicianship and a strong blues-rock foundation. This album is the logical step forward from The Feeling, and another strong effort. (To obtain, visit www.felixandthehurricanes.com)

4) NEVERMOURE – 10 SONGS…6 GREAT, 3 GOOD, 1 DECENT Truth in advertising? Nevermoure’s 2003 output, 10 Songs…6 Great, 3 Good, 1 Decent is the most streamlined set of rocking ear candy Nevermoure (pre-name change) has given us yet. Every song is short, sweet, and to the point; get in, get out. Nevermoure is still about blending irresistible song hooks with hard-hitting rock; their melodies hook you in, their drive and edge deliver a hearty wallop on favorites like “The American Teenage Anthem,” “Psycho,” “She Rocks Me” and “Realize.” There’s more agitated fare like the fatalistic “Wednesday,” “Should Have Known” and the shorter-than-ever new take on “Forever Yours.” The group gives us a tasty acoustic-geared rocker on “Here I Am Tomorrow,” and updates their ode to September 11, now called “Still Remember You (Higher)” (formerly “Nine-Eleven”). You decide for yourself which songs are great, good and decent here; for me it’s all strong, proof that Nevermoure (Vs. the Earth, or whatever the hell they’re calling themselves these days) are on the same page and moving forward. If they keep delivering albums like this, lunchboxes and action figures won’t be far away. (To obtain, visit www.vstheearth.com)

5) POPTART MONKEYS – SECRET DECODER OUTFIT Very few bands can turn the page between lead singers as smoothly as the Poptart Monkeys did in 2003. With Paul Reddon exiting and Tyson Clark entering the Poptart ranks on lead mic, the group didn’t miss a beat on their new album, Secret Decoder Outfit. Tyson’s presentation is less aggressive and softer-spoken than his predecessor, but his smooth voice and ability to emote at the right moments works just as well with the Poptarts’ style and sound. The Poptart Monkeys continued to deliver quality modern-flavored rock, including punk-edged melodic rockers like “Hooked,” “What Can I Do,” “7:30” and “Life;” acoustic-driven tracks like “Dreams” and “Who You Are;” and the hip-hop-fueled “Sunshine.” The group retained several songs that originated under Paul Reddon’s watch, including the Police-inspired “Stung,” and the darker-flavored “Adore Me” and “Enemy.” While sounding current and contemporary, the Poptart Monkeys offer their own personality, sass and signature to this brand of rock, thus distancing themselves from the rest of the sea of Lit/Blink/Good Charlotte gravy-trainers out there. Good-sounding album. (To obtain, visit www.poptartmonkeys.com)

6) AXUM – LIKE SO MUCH THERAPY Happy Valley-based modern rockers Axum offered up their strongest argument yet for a shot at the major leagues with their 2003 entry, Like So Much Therapy, a set of riveting hard-edged alternative-geared rock. Compelling songs with intriguing hooks, choruses and apathy-denouncing lyrics abound through the album’s ten tracks; “The Point,” “Fable,” “Normal,” “The Waiting,” “Abuse the Unhealthy” (my fave track) and “Avenues” are all worthy of major radio attention. Axum’s presentation is crisp and concise; this band sounds focused and on the same page. Frontman Tim McKenna has a distinct manner of telling listeners to stop complaining and get off their butts to make the needed changes; and the sharp, muscular execution of Tim, guitarist Don Shiner, bass Matt Croyle and drummer Chris Monteagudo authoritatively drives those messages home. A strong, fresh-sounding album. (To obtain, visit www.axummusic.com)

7) WAY DOWN EAST – MODERN DAY OUTLAWS These McConnellsburg-based band newcomers roared out the gate in 2003 with their smoking debut album. Way Down East offered up rip-roaring, heavy-handed redneck rock; presenting a Jackyl/ZZ Top-type swagger delivered with a Pantera-like wallop. Frontman/guitarist Paul Wilson’s presentation is equal parts Jesse James Dupree, Jim Dandy Mangrum (Black Oak Arkansas, for you kiddies too young to remember) and Phil Anselmo, as he growls out words about rebels (“Modern Day Outlaws”), tough guys (“Magnum Is My Name”), drinking and country music (“Drunk with Hank”) and brawling (“Fist Bath”); plus a little acoustic-geared reflection and comtemplation (“Lately”). Rowdy, pounding and unapologetic, Modern Day Outlaws offers a perfect soundtrack to pound beers and throwdown to at a backwoods bar on a Saturday night! (To obtain, visit www.waydowneast.net)

8) V.I.H. BLUES BAND – V.I.H. III: LIVE – ON A MISSION FROM GOD This is the best type of live album, a live album created when the tape was running on a magical night! Recorded last March at Blue Mountain Coffeehouse in Strausstown, V.I.H. III: Live – On a Mission From God shows us the Victory In Heaven Blues Band going to town live, shaking the house with their muscular brand of gospel-tinged blues rock. Every performance here smokes, with singer/guitarist Sterling Koch, bassist Frank Ciambra and drummer/singer Larry Baudoin connecting on all cylinders. Every tune shines; my favorites include the remake of the Allman Brothers’ “Change My Way of Livin,’” the rowdy audience singalong version of Willie Dixon’s “Can’t Judge a Book By Lookin’ at the Cover,” Sterling Koch’s exemplary guitar fireworks on “I’ve Never Been to Seminary” and “The Star Spangled Banner/Trouble Will Soon Be Over,” “Everyday Will Be Like Sunday” and more. The synergy between band and audience rides at a constant high throughout the album, and there are no studio enhancements or overdubs; this is raw and live, the way it should be! V.I.H.’s combination of sharp musicianship, upbeat messages and the jubilant crowd combine for an uplifting, powerful listen sure to inspire. Excellent album! (To obtain, visit www.vihband.com)

9) SKELL – SKELL This album clearly and loudly sent the message that this Pittsburgh band’s metamorphosis from their previous old-school metal incarnation, Whiskey High, to their current nu-metal incarnation, Skell, was complete. Skell is roaring, unapologetic, modern metal brutality in all its glory. Mike Palone’s snarling guitars, frontman Chris “Scooby” Dittman’s feral howl, and the sinister, booming thunder rendered by bass Mike Ekis and drummer Rich Palone combined for monstrous results over Skell’s dozen tracks. “Betrayal,” “Unnecessary,” “Ex,” “Like a Mountain” and “Come On” will tear your head off on first listen; while Mike Palone’s creative guitar atmospherics turn “No Solution” and “Dope” into clear-cut album highlights. Even the album’s lone ballad, “Clouds,” pounds! Skell is a convincing calling card announcing that Skell has arrived, and there will be no survivors. Killer! (To obtain, visit www.skellrocks.com)

10) MICHAEL REICH – WHO’S MINDING THE STORE Somerset County native Michael Reich delivered his strongest album yet in 2003 with his third effort, Who’s Minding the Store, blending observational, socially-conscious lyrics and wit with a hard-driving, classic-geared folk-rock sound rooted in the traditions of Neil Young, John Mellencamp and late 60’s protest rock. Michael effectively addressed the technology age (“Wireless”), keeping up with an ever-changing world (“Turning On a Dime,” “Live for Today”), September 11 (“Line In The Sand”) and music industry dreams (“2nd Street [Hey Hey],” written while watching musicians promote their showcases along 2nd Street in Harrisburg during the Millenium Music Conference). Michael gives us clever, thoughtful lyrics sung with gusto and passion, and his corps of hired guns helps him mix up the modes of attack nicely. Featuring strong songs that make you think, Who’s Minding the Store further establishes Michael Reich as one of this state’s premier singer/songwriters. (To obtain, visit www.michael-reich.com)

HONORABLE MENTIONS: THE MARAUDERS – ALIBI, SOUND DRIVEN – VIEW FROM THE ATTIC, POKER FACE – MADE IN AMERICA, SEVENTH HOUR – MITOSIS, ADRIAN BLITZER – SURFACE , KEYSTONE ALL STARS – ONCE…AND YOUNG, THE WORRY KNOT – DOVE & CROW, BALISTIC – TRANSFERENCE.

JP’S 50 FAVORITE PHOTOS OF 2003:

Of all the hundreds of photos I took over the past year, these are my favorites. Many of these you’ve seen before if you regularly read “JP’s Corner;” a few of them you haven’t. Enjoy!

1. Brian Kneasel worship was running rampant at Peter C’s on January 31; here one of the Grimmettes is seen showing praise to the Balistic guitarist during a Balistic/Grimm double-bill.

2. Jason Mittan of short-lived Altoona/Johnstown metal monsters Choking Faith, going full-vent during a January show at Aldo’s.

3. Before the Warwick, Rhode Island nightclub fire in February made pyro very unpopular at shows, Rug from Inversion belches flame during a late January all ages show at Peter C’s.

4. Chris Cramer of PnEumatic, in your face, during an early January show at Aldo’s.

5. With a little help from their friends…Emily’s Toybox, during a February show at Yesterday’s Party in Ebensburg.

6. “Chris, I’m carrying your child!” Actually, we don’t know what she said to him, but it sure did get an interesting facial expression out of Poptart Monkeys guitarist Chris Kurtz during a February show at Pellegrine’s.

7. One of the friends our music scene and the Altoona community lost during 2003 was Robert “Willie” Johnson, who passed away in November. Here is Willie, playing the washboard during a Felix & the Hurricanes show at Peter C’s in February.

8. The Grimm unveils their new album creation, Resurruption, with an audiovisual spectacular at Peter C’s in March.

9. During one of Something Fluid’s first performances at Pellegrine’s in March, guitarist/singer Chris gets a unique Altoona welcome.

10. Chipper Frantz of Chaos solicits for nudity during an April show at the Wildwood Inn near Grampian.

11. Celebrating their debut on area stages 20 years ago, The Front pulled all the stops with their 20th anniversary reunion benefit show in April at Altoona’s Bavarian Hall.

12. Steve Nelson of Green Eggs strikes a pose during the group’s April appearance at Pellegrine’s, their first Altoona visit in two years. Green Eggs cited good times and the coldest Jagermeister on the East Coast as reasons for their return to Pelly’s.

13. UUU’s solution for conquering shy audiences during this April show at Pellegrine’s was to bring audience members, their table, chairs and beer pitchers, onstage. Here singer Jason is seen, joining in the party.

14. One of the most impressive new talents to surface on area stages in 2003 was Hair Force One singer Victor Synn, shown here during the group’s May debut performance at Peter C’s.

15. During a Thursday Peter C’s jam in May, Hurricanes drummer Bob Watters finds a new surface to tap out his beats on; Peter C’s Mary’s posterior. Steve Shiffler gets credit for the assist.

16. During the May CD-release party at Peter C’s for their new Alibi album, Ryan Sager of The Marauders finds that bandmate Chris Lawson’s upright bass makes a sturdy pedestal.

17. Choco Sam gets ‘em jumping during the Summer Break Band Bash at Legion Park in Hollidaysburg in late May.

18. Andy of Adrian Blitzer is left holding the balloons during the group’s set at the Pennsylvania Premier Performers Showcase, which happened at the Whitaker Center in Harrisburg in May. The event was sponsored by Black Thorn Entertainment.

19. The only cello player I photographed during 2003 was Kevin Kresge of Burning Blue, during their set at the Pennsylvania Premier Performers Showcase at Harrisburg’s Whitaker Center.

20. A scene we hope to see again in 2004…The Kos brothers, Dick and Felix, during a Hurricanes Thursday jam at Peter C’s. Dick Kos is presently stationed in Kosovo for peacekeeping duties along with area percussionist David Wessels. Here’s hoping for their safe return in 2004.

21. Robert Port and Skip Henry of Scream, during a June performance at City Limits.

22. Heads up! Bridge! Guests Kent Martin and “Big Jim” Ricotta duck under the Route 994 overpass during the Hurricanes Bikini Blues Cruise aboard the “Proud Mary” at Lake Raystown in July.

23. Hurricane overboard! Lead Hurricane Felix Kos being returned to the “Proud Mary” after his mid-Blues Cruise dive and swim in Lake Raystown.

24. Barely clearing highway overpasses, musicians overboard, scantily-clad women hula-hooping on the top deck – Just who is the captain of this damn boat, anyway? With Peter C's Julia (and the actual captain) looking on, the Iceman shows his credentials for a future as captain of the Exxon Valdez.

25. During the George Mitchell Memorial Benefit Concert at Shakey’s in Hershey in July, several of George’s surviving children and their cousins help Poptart Monkeys drummer Rob Hampton keep the beat. George Mitchell, brother of veteran Harrisburg area musician Dave “Mitch” Mitchell, was killed in action in April as American forces advanced on Baghdad.

26. Who says bass players don’t get any love? Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law receives some adoration from two stagefront ladies at an August show at Pellegrine’s.

27. Not music related, but I’m including it anyway…the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse, surviving an assassination attempt by two friends in downtown Pittsburgh during an August Sunday joyride.

28. RetroActive, bringing the party during an August Saturday night blowout at Ebensburg’s Castle Pub.

29. Boost drummer Jim Logrando goes airborne behind the kit during a Friday night party at The Brewery in State College.

30. During Halestorm’s set at Q94’s Q-Fest benefit concert in September at the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club, Dave Hartley, Joe Hottinger and Arejay Hale put on a drum circle percussion jam.

31. Stept On’s rhythm battery of drummer Josh Hetrick and bassist Art Armani, during September’s Rock The House Benefit at Greenhouse Park near Johnstown.

32. During the Hurricanes’ fall Blues Cruise in October, guest Christa Cherry belts out voice alongside lead ‘Cane Felix Kos.

33. Carrie of Juiced, being subdued by an officer of the law for her 30th birthday at Pellegrine’s in October.

34. From a band you should consider seeing in 2004 when they come out our way again…Tony Scarfone of Pittsburgh’s Shatterpak, during their October appearance at Aldo’s.

35. Another gratuitous Hurricanes photo…During the Hurricanes’ annual Turkey Night Jam at Peter C’s, Hurricane Felix gives guest guitarist Phil Wagner a lift across the stage.

36. Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs realizes that he has company behind the keyboard during a December show at Pellegrine’s.

37. During the Pennsylvania Musician-sponsored Toys for Tots benefit at City Limits in November, Bad Daze frontman Rob Carolus pays a visit to Pennsylvania Musicianeditor Robin Noll.

38. Guest Steve Oswalt belts out the voice during Half Tempted’s December show at Glenn’s Place in Claysburg. Steve was one of several special guests on hand to help bid farewell to Half Tempted bassist Joe George, who is following his career to Pittsburgh in 2004.

39. A scene we probably won’t see much of in 2004…Joe George and his trademark double-neck bass, during Joe’s farewell performance with Half Tempted at Glenn’s Place in December.

40. With his sticks glowing, Wade Corbin of Emily’s Toybox, during a November performance at the Castle Pub in Ebensburg.

41. Now taking on the world, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth, during the group’s name changeover doubleheader at City Limits in November.

42. Let’s showcase the ladies, Part 1…Amy Benko of Jimmy Sweatpants, during a February show at Yesterday’s Party in Ebensburg.

43. Let’s showcase the ladies, Part 2…April Wyland of Hardly Knew Her, during a May show at City Limits.

44. Let’s showcase the ladies, Part 3…Gretchen of Something Fluid, during a September performance at Pellegrine’s.

45. In this photo, we remember another friend of the area music scene we lost during the past year…During one of The Hurricanes’ Wing-Off performances at Lakemont Park in July, park custodian and avid music fan Bobby Walter (a.k.a. “Bobby the Lakemonster”) plays air-harp while guest John Stevens plays the real thing onstage with Hurricane Felix. Bobby was struck and killed by a car near Lakemont Park in October.

46. Like father like son, Part 1…Brian Thomas of Flight 19 with son Ben, singing during Flight 19’s Wing-Off appearance at Lakemont Park in late July.

47. Like father like son, Part 2…Don Osborn of Square One with son Shaun, performing during Square One’s second Wing-Off performance at Lakemont Park in early August.

48. Like son, like father…Mike Ritchey of Nevermoure with his father, Gary, during Nevermoure’s Halloween party at the 4D’s Lounge in October.

49. Like son, like mother…Sean Johnson of Electric Blue is joined onstage by his mother, during an August performance at Aldo’s.

50. Like Brian, like JP…Yours truly, with Brian Mitchell, recipient of JP’s 2003 Award for Best Use of Projectile Vomit in a Sentence. This was taken at Pellegrine’s two days before Christmas.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: