· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 11/10/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Jan 09, 2004 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 11/10/03

THE MARAUDERS/SOUTHERN BITCH @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 11/5/03

This rare Wednesday night double-bill at Peter C’s came together quickly, and I only learned about it from seeing it listed on Peter C’s marquee the day before. Southern Bitch, in the area to open a show the previous evening for Drive By Truckers at Crowbar in State College, hooked up with The Marauders and added this show at Peter C’s.

Not surprisingly given the relatively short time frame to get the word out, attendance was light this night as The Marauders took the stage. Singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, acoustic guitarist Ryan Sager, stand-up bassist Chris Lawson and drummer Abe Weber performed a half-hour set of their original roots-rock and punk-driven rockabilly. The set showcased material from the group’s “Alibi” CD such as “Oh My My,” “Roadkill” and “New Tattoo;” as well as a few newer originals. Guest sax player Shannon Rugh sat in during part of the set. The Marauders generated a decent head of steam during their brief set; and while this night lacked the huge crowds that usually populate their shows, the group still played their set with enthusiasm and fun, rousing what audience there was and firing them up for Southern Bitch.

A rather lengthy intermission between bands, however, diminished the momentum started by The Marauders; and Southern Bitch had to reignite the crowd as they started into their set about 50 minutes later. But this Athens, GA-based band gave it a good go, as Southern Bitch fired off a hard-driving set of original, straight-up-the-gut, guitar-fueled rock. As their set unfolded, Southern Bitch demonstrated a sound rooted in the edgier classic/Southern hard rock styles of Neil Young & Crazy Horse and Lynyrd Skynyrd, updated with a slight punkish bite – ultimately, not too far removed from Drivin’ n’Cryin.’ Headed by the husband and wife duo of singer/guitarist Adam and guitarist Wendy Musick, Southern Bitch packed punch and guitar muscle on such songs as “Freeway,” “Mark of the Beast,” “Hoopshake” and more (as the sound was slightly distorted, it was tough to decipher the other titles that Adam identified through the course of the set. As the small Peter C’s audience started getting what the band was about, more cheers could be heard as Southern Bitch proceeded through their set; and by night’s end, the group drew decent response. Following their set, several people bought CD’s from group, which would provide gas money to get them back home to Georgia. Such is the life of a working, traveling band trying to get their music and word out there. It may not have been a huge attendance, but Southern Bitch still won a few new fans this night, and the night served to expand their fan base to at least a few new fans and a new venue and market.

The Marauders kick things off at Peter C’s.

Brandishing upright bass, Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Adam Musick of Southern Bitch.

The husband and wife team of Adam and Wendy Musick of Southern Bitch.

JOHN SOLINSKI & KENNY KARLHEIM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 11/6/03

Having heard good reports from the field about them, I decided to kick off this Thursday night by checking out the new RetroActive acoustic duo of John Solinski and Kenny Karlheim, performing at Altoona’s Hitching Post.

The Hitching Post was lightly populated as I arrived, but John and Kenny had the crowd that was present paying attention and having fun. The pair was completing a version of Pearl Jam’s “Black,” before picking up the mood and frivolity with their version of Chuck Berry’s “My Dingaling.” The duo then offered their acoustic take on AC/DC’s “Big Balls,” with Kenny’s attempted accent coming off sounding like Pete Townshend of The Who. The pair kept it in the AC/DC vein with “You Shook Me All Night Long,” but with a twist – they broke out the Hayseed Dixie bluegrass version of this classic, and quickly had members of the Hitching Post audience hooting and stomping their feet. The two continued to mix it up, performing songs from Tom Petty, Billy Joel, Van Morrison, and 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up,” with John handling the higher-end lead vocal. The duo veered Southern for a version of Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” and pulled out versions of Neil Young’s “Rock In The Free World” and Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville;” before generating some laughs with their off-the-wall rendering of Buffett’s “Why Don’t We Get Drunk (And Screw).” Anti-climactically, John and Kenny brought the set to a close with Kansas’ “Dust In The Wind.”

As I watched John and Kenny perform, I was not just impressed by the group’s superb vocal skills and crisp harmonies, or their diverse songlist. I was also impressed by these two as guitar players, as they both showed detailed and precise fingerwork and gelled nicely as an instrumental unit.

As John and Kenny pressed the flesh and greeted audience members during their intermission, a special guest, Matt Wagner, took the stage and performed two Dave Matthews songs. I had heard some good things about Matt; and his abbreviated teaser this night showed that those reports about him were justified, and that he was be a performer I would need to check out sometime soon.

Soon, John and Kenny, armed with a number of audience requests, returned to the stage to commence their final set of the evening. The pair reconvened with a song I hadn’t heard performed onstage in a while, Blind Melon’s “No Rain. Kenny sang lead on versions of the Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” and the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times,” before John assumed lead mic for the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin.’” The pair then entered a brief oldies phase of the show, doing versions of J. Frank Wilson/Pearl Jam’s “Last Kiss” and Del Shannon’s “Runaway.” John and Kenny then pulled one off the songlist of their electric band, RetroActive, doing Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny,” followed by Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl,” which prompted some clap-along response from the Hitching Post audience. With Kenny singing and demonstrating some heated bluegrass-styled pickin,’ the duo finished their nightcap set with Charlie Daniels’ “The Devil Went Down to Georgia.” Although not large, the Hitching Post fans were vocal, and quickly called the pair back up to do an encore. John and Kenny responded with versions of Five Man Electrical Band’s “Signs” and the Eagles’ “Hotel California.”

The rave reviews I had heard about John Solinski and Kenny Karlheim were justified, based on what I witnessed this night. This pair of musicians delivers a fun and upbeat acoustic show, chock full of good tunes, bright harmonies and dazzling guitar fingerwork. Both performers were very crowd-friendly, and eager to satisfy requests and do what it took to keep the audience involved in the show. The Hitching Post was not packed, but the audience that was present thoroughly enjoyed this duo, evidenced by the cheers emanating from throughout the bar after each song. If you’re in the mood to kick back and have a good time with a friendly acoustic duo, John Solinski and Kenny Karlheim are definitely a duo you should consider.

Kenny Karlheim and John Solinski.

John Solinski.

Working his strings, John Solinski.

Kenny Karlheim.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 11/6/03

Sadness hit the area music scene and the Altoona community earlier this day, with word of the passing of Robert “Willie” Johnson. Over the years, I had come to look forward to running into Willie in my local music travels. Willie was a big fan of live music, and could be often seen at places like Peter C’s, City Limits and Pellegrine’s, checking out an assortment of groups, from the Hurricanes to The Grimm, to Backstreet Law to Juiced to The Collective. Willie always had a smile on his face, and was one of those ‘people persons’ who seemingly got along with everybody. As I got to know Willie, I learned along the way that he was a person who often volunteered his time to help out in the community. He could be found chaperoning at youth events like the annual “Teen Fest.” While speaking with him one night, I learned that he worked for Conrail and assisted with the restoration of the Pennsylvania Railroad K4 #1361 steam locomotive (presently being rebuilt at Steamtown in Scranton). I learned along the way that Willie was an invaluable asset to the community; if more people like him were around, the world would be a better place. I had just seen him less than two weeks before his death, taking in the Backstreet Law Halloween party at Pellegrine’s, and laughing at some of the wild costumes we had come up with that night. I sat in a moment of stunned silence when I saw his obituary in the Altoona Mirror newspaper.

The news spread quickly through our music scene and on Rockpage, and upon the news of his passing, Felix & the Hurricanes announced on Rockpage that their weekly Thursday jam at Peter C’s this week would be dedicated in memory of Willie. Although I started out the night at the Hitching Post, I knew I had to head over to Peter C’s before the end of this night to help pay homage to our departed friend.

Peter C’s wasn’t heavily populated this night; in fact, the attendance was on the light side. Onstage, the Hurricanes had a guest as I arrived, as Ron Novak was contributing additional guitarwork on a version of the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out” as I arrived at the venue. Willie was heavy on the minds of the Hurricanes and the Peter C’s crowd this night; and lead Hurricane Felix Kos issued an invitation for anyone in the bar to join the ‘Canes onstage for the next song of the night – one of Willie’s favorites, the Hurricanes rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “The Ballad of Curtis Lowe.” The sentiment of the moment took over, and “Big Jim” Ricotta and I stepped onstage to help the Hurricanes pay homage to Willie on the Skynyrd classic. “Big Jim” and I chimed in on backing vocals as the Hurricanes sank heart and soul into the song and celebrated our departed friend. It was a special moment, and you could sense that Willie was in that room, looking on with a smile on his face. As the song reached its conclusion, the Hurricanes segued directly into “When The Saints Go Marching In,” as spirits continued to run high in Willie’s memory. “Big Jim” and I then exited the stage and enjoyed the rest of the Hurricanes’ set this night, as the group finished out the evening with versions of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man,” seguing through “Dixieland” and into “Gimme Three Steps,” before the group ended the night with Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues.”

While we were all saddened by the loss of Willie this night, the mood at Peter C’s was upbeat as we remembered and celebrated his live and love of local music. It was a fitting send-off, and one I was glad to be a part of.

Yours truly and Big Jim, helping the Hurricanes pay homage to Willie. (photo taken by Monica Rossi)

KEN VOLZ & SAM PELLEGRINO @ SHAN NICOLE’S IRISH PUB, HOLLIDAYSBURG 11/7/03

I had heard impressive things about the acoustic duo of Ken Volz and Sam Pellegrino, and I had intended to check them out live for a while. After reading in the newspaper that the duo had won first place in a contest at a Beatles festival in Cleveland, I decided it was time to get better acclimated with this duo and what they were about. So my first stop this Friday night was to catch the pair in action at Shan-Nicole’s Irish Pub in Hollidaysburg.

This was actually my first time seeing live entertainment at Shan-Nicole’s. I had heard mixed reviews about the venue; initially, acoustic performers raved about the place, because they always had a packed house and enthusiastic crowd; and because at first performers could entertain in the rear part of the venue, where it was a little more spacious. (Shan-Nicole’s is long, narrow, corner bar-type venue too cramped for electric bands, but suitable for acoustic entertainment.) Somewhere along the way, though, the folks in charge decided to move the entertainment out front by the door. This resulted in a smaller area to set up and perform, plus cold air rushing in any time somebody entered or left the room. While musicians still play there every weekend, at least a few prominent names discontinued their gigs there following the move.

Shan-Nicoles was predictably packed as I arrived around 11 PM on this Friday night, and even standing room was at a minimum. It was challenging even just to find an opening along the bar to step in and procure a brew, let along hope of finding a seat! It was a fun, energetic Friday night vibe, and Ken and Sam had just finished a song with a special guest singer, then proceeding with a pair of original songs, one about a car (the titles I didn’t catch). The pair then brought up a special guest; Sam’s daughter, Jessica Pellegrino, to sing lead vocals on a Dixie Chicks number, “Goodbye Earl.” Jessica had several friends in the back of the room who loudly cheered her performance, and soon had the whole bar wildly cheering her efforts. Ken and Sam then did a versions of Bob Dylan’s “Knocking on Heaven’s Door” and Led Zeppelin’s “Going to California.” The pair picked up the pace with George Harrison’s “Got My Mind Set On You, with Ken providing ‘mouth percussion;’ and they then harmonized nicely on a version of the Beatles’ “Something.” Then it was a version of Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire,” with Ken not just singing the lead vocal, but doing a convincing Johnny Cash impersonation in the process! He continued his impersonation skills on an equally convincing version of Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” before veering soul diva with his treatment of Aretha Franklin’s “Respect.” This song got the ladies in the back of the room going; and Ken and Sam let them sing out the third verse of the song from the back of the room, turning it into a house sing-along. Back to the Beatles for “8 Days a Week” (they had just won a Beatles competition, so I was expecting to hear lots of Fab 4 this night), the Rolling Stones’ “Wild Horses,” the Beatles’ “Ballad of John and Yoko,” and then Ken demonstrating his Elvis skills on “Don’t Be Cruel” to finish out the set. It took a few moments, but Shan-Nicole’s eventually started demanding an encore, which the duo responded to with a version of Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love.”

What I got to witness from Ken and Sam was enjoyable. The pair kept the mood upbeat, and both could capably sing and play guitar. These two also were spontaneous and could improvise well to adapt their performance to the crowd and anything that might happen along the way. Ken, himself an accomplished solo performer in the State College circuit, was especially good at his impersonations and being able to improvise off the cuff; this ability especially kept the performance lively, unpredictable and fun.

Although they had minimal space to play in (actually performing as they sat at the end of the bar, by the door), Ken and Sam made the best of it and gave the packed house a good time. I even lucked out and procured a seat after a patron vacated his seat in front of me and left the building. The crowded conditions set the stage for that intimate one-on-one connection between performers and audience, so nearly everyone in the house was responding to what Ken and Sam were doing. In all, a fun time; and for me a good representation of what has made Ken Volz and Sam Pellegrino an anticipated attraction for their monthly visits to Shan-Nicole’s.

Ken Volz and Sam Pellegrino at Shan-Nicole’s. (I was positioned about halfway down the bar when I zoomed in and took this shot.)

3 BROKEN DOLLS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 11/7/03

After leaving Shan-Nicole’s, I headed to Aldo’s to check in with Mount Union power trio 3 Broken Dolls.

The group was just into their third set as I arrived, and it seemed to be a relatively slow night, with only a few people present. 3 Broken Dolls performed mostly 90’s and current rock favorites, including songs from Seven Mary Three, Alice In Chains, Greenday, Puddle of Mudd, Stone Temple Pilots and more. The group also mixed in a few classics such as Neil Young’s “Rocking In the Free World” and Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.” And the group did at least one original song during their nightcap set, at least the portion I was able to witness.

The group’s performance was respectable for the most part, but showed room for improvement. Frontman/bassist Kevin Price generated some excitement with his charged presentation, showing some vocal range and adequate grit. He, guitarist/singer Dusty Sipes and drummer Mike Ross were steady on their instruments more often than not; although overall timing, tuning and tightness could have been stronger in a few spots, with the drums and guitars occasionally not quite on the same beat or tempo. The trio still kept the show moving ahead without too much pausing between songs; hopefully the tightness and timing issues will be resolved as this band logs more time onstage and in the practice room.

Ultimately, 3 Broken Dolls delivered an average performance this night – not great, not lousy, but average. This is still a relatively new band that is still getting their feet under them on area stages. Hopefully they’ll stay the course, continue working out the kinks and improving their onstage product.

Kevin Price of 3 Broken Dolls.

Mike Ross of 3 Broken Dolls.

GLENN PENTLAND BENEFIT w/SILVER SUNDAY/HAIR FORCE ONE @ BEERBELLIES, DUNCANSVILLE 11/8/03

Glenn Pentland is a Duncansville resident awaiting a heart transplant. Realizing that he needed help to be able to pay for this forthcoming medical procedure, Glenn’s friends organized a special benefit show for him at Beerbellies this night; bringing in two of this area’s hottest rising force bands, Silver Sunday and Hair Force One.

It was quickly obvious that Glenn had a lot of friends, because Beerbellies was already packed as wheelman Big Jim, the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse and yours truly arrived and procured one of the last remaining parking spaces in the rear parking lot.

Silver Sunday was already under way as we arrived, and was quickly elevating the mood of this party. This set offered strong evidence of just how far along this band has progressed in their first half-year on area stages. A far cry from her shy debut at Peter C’s in May, frontlady Cathie was now confidently moving about the stage and dancefloor with her cordless mic, singing to individual fans and getting them involved in the party. Beerbellies’ dancefloor saw steady action as Cathie, guitarist/singer Buck, new guitarist Jason, bassist Steve and drummer Todd mixed female-fronted favorites from Alanis Morisette, Veruca Salt, Madonna/Kelly Osbourne and others with select 80’s and 90’s favorites from Modern English, the Police, the Outfield and others, and a few playfully fractured classics, such as the Buck-fronted takes on REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On The Run” and Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend.” Silver Sunday displayed more energy and enthusiasm than ever; this band’s show had evolved into a full-fledged, alternative-fueled party! Beerbellies was very much digging it, and even I got pulled onto the dance floor! Very cool!

En route to the show, Big Jim had devised a unique way to help raise some additional money for Glenn. With such a dignitary as Guv’nor Jesse in the house, Jim came up with the idea of allowing folks to have their photo taken digitally with the Guv’nor for a $5 donation, with the monies going to Glenn Pentland. It worked, as several people paid and had their photo taken with the classic junk Cadillac enthusiast. Even show beneficiary Glenn had his photo taken with the Pelly’s-famous Guv’nor.

After the photo session and a door prize giveaway, Hair Force One resumed the party with two smoking sets of 80’s hair-band classics. Kicking off with Guns’n’Roses’ “Welcome the the Jungle,” Hair Force One quickly packed Beerbellies’ dance floor with tunes from Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Poison, Ozzy Osbourne, Ugly Kid Joe, Warrant and more. Decked in white jacket and top hat, singer Victor Synn let fly with maximum voice acrobatics, going sky high on Guns’n’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine” and the set-closing rendition of Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health.” Victor and his motley crew of guitarists Jimi Hatt and Michael J. Cox, bassist Iva Biggin and drummer Hugh G. Rection sounded sturdy on everything they did; highlights for me included versions of Firehouse’s “Don’t Treat Me Bad,” Poison’s “Unskinny Bop” and Ozzy’s “Flying High Again.”

During intermission, I was invited to appear in group photos with both bands, and also got to meet Hair Force One’s newest road crew member, Haywood Jablomie.

Hair Force One’s nightcap set kicked off with two power ballads, Skid Row’s “I Remember You” and Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn.” The group then invited Silver Sunday frontlady Cathie onstage to belt out the lead voice on Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot,” which picked the tempo of the party back up and quickly had the dance floor filled again. Hair Force One then let it rip the rest of the way, with songs from Whitesnake, Great White, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Gary Glitter, Twisted Sister and AC/DC. The band kept dishing out the party, and kept things at a feverish pitch throughout the set. Beerbellies didn’t want the party to end at the end of the set, so after a brief pause, Hair Force delivered the full force encore of the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party)” and KISS’ “Rock and Roll All Night.”

In the end, this turned out being an excellent night. Both bands left it all on stage, and the fans left it all on the dance floor. The sound and lights were in good form, the bands sounded clear throughout the area back to the edge of the bar. (The sound was harder to hear with the cacophony of crowd chatter and the crush of bodies further back in the room, but it was strong up front where it needed to be.) The night was a fun, high-energy rocking blowout that raised a good chunk of change for Glenn Pentland, and left everybody feeling good by night’s end (except maybe Guv’nor Jesse, who endured the evil after-effects of firewater consumption).

Show beneficiary Glenn Pentland and the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse.

Cathie and Silver Sunday kick off the party at Beerbellies.

Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Jimi Hatt of Hair Force One.

Again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Hugh G. Rection of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn and Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Silver Sunday frontlady Cathie joins Hair Force One onstage.

”Take our picture!”

Guv’nor Jesse has a difficult encounter with firewater…As the guy on the 'Nightspot Report' says, "Beerbellies - This ain't no fitness club!"

UUU @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/9/03

Workplace duties forced a late start to my official weekend conclusion, but I eventually arrived at Pellegrine’s round about midnight, and UUU was providing the music to bring another weekend to a close.

Attendance was relatively light as I arrived, and Pellegrine’s dance floor was empty as UUU was in the midst of an 80’s ‘medley from hell’ which fused together songs from Madonna, Toni Basil, Quiet Riot and AC/DC. When that didn’t succeed to attract people onto the dance floor, UUU shifted into hip-hop mode and tried a brief medley there, before closing the set with the Beatles’ “Ob-La-Di, O-La-Da.”

UUU reverted to a tried and true strategy to try to attract dance floor participation for their nightcap set – draft the ever-willing Guv’nor Jesse and his table and pitcher of beer onto the stage. This eventually seemed to work during the third set, as several people made their way to the dancefloor to join the party. As they always do, UUU threw the kitchen sink mix at everybody, doing songs from Orgy, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Poison, James, Puddle of Mudd, Eminem, Everlast, Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, Metallica, assorted hip-hop and more. As UUU parties go, this one ultimately wasn’t too eventful due to the lackluster attendance, although two female fans’ deliverance of a public display of affection for one another provided at least some levity to the night’s proceedings.

For a seasoned party force like UUU, it comes with the turf; you have good nights, and you have slow nights. This particular night at Pellegrine’s fell into the latter designation; but it still provided adequate closure on another weekend.

Jason of UUU, at the center of an onstage party.

Guido of UUU.

Aaron of UUU.

Jason of UUU.

Doug of UUU.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: