· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 12/22/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 29, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 12/22/03

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 12/18/03

Workplace duties delayed the start of my weekend bandwatching adventures, but eventually I made my way to Peter C’s to get my weekend off to another Hurricaning start. The mood at Peter C’s was festive as I entered midway through the evening, and several folks I hadn’t seen for a while were in attendance. With Hurricaniac and Grateful Dead enthusiast “Uncle Bud” in the house, the ‘Canes commenced their last set of the night with “Alabama Getaway.” The group proceeded to mix original songs and classics, and as is usually the case, they were very much on their game this night. Bassman Jeff Clapper put on a dazzling bottom-end display during Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” and he fronted the band on their unveiling of Iron Butterfly’s legendary late 60’s chestnut, “Innagaddadavida,” complete with Bob Watters drum solo. Lead Hurricane Felix Kos was on fire this night as well, his guitar pyrotechnics during Ted Nugent’s “Great White Buffalo” were off the map!

Eventually, a guest took the stage – former area frontman Ron Russell. The former Psycho frontman, now a singer and songwriter who calls Los Angeles home, remarked that it was 73 degrees in the City of Angels when he left; compared to the 20-something degree temperatures outside Peter C’s this night. Ron fronted the group on a version of Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.”

After the Hurricanes performed their original rockers “Little Ears” and “Issues,” a round of Wild Turkey shots arrived on the stage, inspiring the band to a fiery finish to the evening. Their version of Robin Trower’s “Day of the Eagle” was incredible, with Jeff and Bob laying down some wildly grooving rhythms for Felix to unleash more guitar pyro to. And the group ended the night with Grand Funk’s “I’m Your Captain,” again dedicated to “Uncle Bud.”

As is usually always the case, the Hurricanes fed off the atmosphere of the evening and the guests in the house, to deliver a show with another unique mood and flavor. Some of the songs may remain the same in the Hurricanes’ setlist from night to night, but this trio can take those songs to a different place on any given night, and the mood of any two shows is never exactly the same. And this night, the presence of special guests and friends in the house seemed to fire this band up more, and their performance reflected it.

Guest singer Ron Russell croons some Bob Seger with the Hurricanes.

Bassist Jeff Clapper receives some backing vocal help.

Once again, guest Ron Russell sings with the Hurricanes.

Peter C’s first daughter Julia and CEO Bandit.

After the show, a happy gang of Peter C’s staff and friends celebrate.

WAKE UP SCREAMING @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 12/19/03

I’m sure it happens to everybody from time to time. You have things planned that you want to do, but in the course of your evening, you run into friends and get to shooting the bull, lose track of time, and suddenly you look at the clock or watch and realize that you pretty much blew the evening, and aren’t going to get half the things done you wanted to. Yeah, it happens to me, too.

In a perfect world this night, I would have caught an acoustic act at the Hitching Post (although I now can’t remember who), and I wanted to catch the double-bill of Wake Up Screaming and Driven at Peter C’s. But running into several friends while eating supper at Pellegrine’s (including one I hadn’t seen in over half a year) derailed those plans, at least until I looked at the watch and saw it was already midnight. With half the night’s game plan already shot to hell, I headed to Peter C’s to catch what I could of Wake Up Screaming.

I arrived just before the start of Wake Up Screaming’s nightcap set, and I was curious to at least see how this band has evolved since their onstage debut the month before. Attendance was on the light side, but as Wake Up Screaming tore into their set, a number of those who were present took up position in front of the stage to groove, mosh, headbang, and otherwise express approval for the group’s brand of heavy rock.

Evidenced by this set, Wake Up Screaming has progressed and moved forward in their first month on area stages. The group confidently mixed heavy-hitting tunage from Tool, Alice In Chains, Deftones, Slayer, Pantera and more. They broke out an original tune, “Retrospect,” and did what I had been waiting to see since drummer Jim Bagrosky informed me about it – a Metallica medley! (The only disappointment here was that another musician in the house was talking my ear off at this point, and I couldn’t pay as close attention to this medley as I wanted to – MEMO TO EVERYONE, if you have something you need to tell me, wait until intermission so I can pay attention to the show – chances are I can’t hear half of what you’re saying while the band is playing anyway!). At night’s end, the stagefront headbangers wanted more, so Wake Up Screaming sent the night home with a torrid version of Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades.”

Their first-night nerves long gone, Wake Up Screaming looked and sounded confident and at home. Bryan Gisewhite has quickly evolved into a convincingly fierce frontman, mixing angst, snarl and sass into an edgy presentation. Bryan demonstrated ability on tension and release-styled vocals on the Tool and Deftones material, straight singing on Alice In Chains’ “We Die Young, and a capable Hetfield snarl during the Metallica medley. Instrumentally, this band was again nails; with bassist Adam Zimmer and drummer Jim Bagrosky generating ample rhythmic thunder and explosiveness, and guitarist Rich Johnson demonstrating surgical precision in his caustic leads and solo work.

While the relatively light attendance was a bit disappointing, Wake Up Screaming satisfied what crowd there was, and offered proof of forward progress as they continue to advance to the forefront of this area’s heavy rock scene.

Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

Bryan Gisewhite of Wake Up Screaming.

Rich Johnson and Bryan Gisewhite of Wake Up Screaming.

Jim Bagrosky of Wake Up Screaming.

Adam Zimmer of Wake Up Screaming.

Again, Bryan Gisewhite of Wake Up Screaming.

Once again, Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

Again, Jim Bagrosky of Wake Up Screaming.

One more time, Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

Again, Adam Zimmer of Wake Up Screaming.

One more time, Jim Bagrosky of Wake Up Screaming.

BANDITOS @ “DUANEFEST” APPLIANCE OUTLET CHRISTMAS PARTY, ALTOONA 12/20/03

I don’t usually write about private parties, but since this one had a band and several musicians in the house, I’ll include it. Every holiday season, semi-retired area musician and Appliance Outlet owner Duane Sipe hosts a Christmas party on the second floor above his store. This is always a good time, with ample food, drink, and live music. Every year there’s at least a jam session going on, with Duane and his musician friends platooning on and off the stage area, and party celebrants often joining in and singing along. This year, Banditos were the host band for the festivities, and provided the rocking soundtrack to a good time.

These days singer/guitarist Wally Archer, bassist/singer Bill Nusom, guitarists Darrell Ruzzi and Phil Wagner and drummer Dave Russell, Banditos entertained the party attendees with their straight-ahead rock mix, including current and classic rock favorites. The group’s Bon Jovi medley sounded strong, as well as versions of Buckcherry’s “Lit Up,” Metallica/Thin Lizzy’s “Whiskey In The Jar” and more. Several times during the show, party host Duane (who was also celebrating a birthday this night) stood in on bass; and former Carbon 14 frontman Zerb also made a guest appearance to sing lead on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps.”

After taking in the better part of two sets from Banditos, and finally convincing myself to step away from the cocktail shrimp and cheese trays, I had to bid farewell to this party to attend another farewell party…

Banditos, rocking the Appliance Outlet Christmas party.

Party host Duane “Appliance Outlet” Sipe joins Billy Bandito onstage.

Special guest Zerb chimes in on the microphone.

Duane is presented with his birthday cake.

HALF TEMPTED @ GLENN’S PLACE, CLAYSBURG 12/20/03

When I first started to write about the local music scene back in the mid-80’s, Joe George was one of the first musicians I ever wrote about, then as a member of I.O.U. Through the years, I have covered mostly all of the bands Joe has been a part of, including Rapidfire, Shattered China, Groove Town, The Blaylocks; and eventually, Half Tempted. Joe has become one of the most respected bass players on the Altoona music scene over the years, and the image of Joe brandishing his trademark double-neck bass guitar onstage is an image that has become indelibly etched on this area’s music scene.

And on a personal note, I fully blame my now 13-year Pellegrine’s Monday night buffalo wing addiction on Joe George. For it was during intermission at a Shattered China show at Pellegrine’s back on June 10, 1990 when Joe offered me my first Pelly’s buffalo wing. I’ve been addicted ever since. Damn you, Joe, damn you!

Seriously, though, Joe’s day job has created a big career opportunity for him in the Pittsburgh area (he will be managing his own store); and he is leaving the Altoona area to relocate to the ‘Burgh. This night at Glenn’s Place, Joe was playing his final show with Half Tempted before the move. It turned into a star-studded, beer-drenched gala.

I arrived at Glenn’s Place to find a wild party underway. Joe and Half Tempted were cranking out the classics onstage, joined by a cavalcade of guest singers – including a number of Joe’s musician friends and former bandmates, and several drunken patrons as well. It was all good; it was a farewell blowout, and anything went this night! After a patron helped Half Tempted assault AC/DC’s “The Jack,” Joe’s former I.O.U., Rapidfire and Shattered China bandmate Steve Oswalt took over the lead mic to front the group on Judas Priest’s “Living After Midnight.” Steve and Half Tempted frontman/guitarist Ron Dalansky then shared lead mic duties on Eric Clapton’s “Cocaine.” Joe then stepped up to the front mic to lead the group on Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath,” before Steve and Flight 19 frontman Brian Thomas helped send the set to intermission by singing Poison’s “Talk Dirty To Me.”

During the break, I spoke with Joe and the various musician guests. Former Sidewalk Romeo/Jack Daddy singer Adam D labeled the occasion an “orgy of lead singers” in the house this night. It was already turning into a special evening, and spirits were riding high with band, guests and crowd as the nightcap set commenced.

Helf Tempted jumped right back into the rock with Kiss’ “Detroit Rock City,” with Steve and Ron teaming to sing lead. This segued directly into “Rock and Roll All Night,” before Joe fronted the group on the Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated.” Brian Thomas then returned to the microphone to sing Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun,” and Adam D joined the onstage fracas for Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn.” Half Tempted slowed things down for Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight,” before Adam again took over lead mic on AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long.” Then another guest, Denise “Weezie” Neely, took over the mic to sing another AC/DC anthem, “Highway to Hell.” From this point onward, all hell broke loose onstage, and the rest of the show amounted to a riotous house sing-along. It was guest vocals by committee, as all the vocalists took their turns on lead mic on Deep Purple’s “Smoke On The Water.” Then on Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid,” Steve and Adam took the song on a Jim Morrison/Doors side journey, reciting Morrison’s apocalyptic words from “The End” while Ron, Joe and drummer Steve McCulley maintained the Sabbathy rhythm underneath – insane! And the party ended with the appropriate band, a house singalong rendition of Metallica’s “Enter Sandman.”

It was rowdy, it was insane, it was FUN! Yes, there were a few musical trainwrecks along the way, but nobody inside Glenn’s Place this night minded a bit; this was a farewell party, and musical precision and inhibitions went out the window. This turned into a goodbye bash Joe George would never forget, as his friends helped him kick out the jams one more time before he hung up his trademark double-neck bass and entered a new phase of his life. Half Tempted and the Glenn’s Place pulled all the stops, and made this a night to remember!

With Flight 19’s Brian Thomas and Steve Oswalt singing lead, Half Tempted rocks Glenn’s Place.

Joe George sings lead on his final night with Half Tempted.

Adam D takes his turn on lead mic.

Steve Oswalt unleashes the voice with Half Tempted.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Denise “Weezie” Neely belts out some AC/DC.

Making their last appearance with Half Tempted, Joe George and his trademark double-neck bass.

Half Tempted’s show becomes a wild party in its homestretch run.

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 12/21/03

Another weekend drew to a close, and Juiced ended this one with their monthly visit to Pellegrine’s.

I arrived during the second set, and a healthy crowd was on hand to party down with the Juiced gang as the fired through their selection of current rock hits and select classics. Second set surprises included the group’s clever infusion of Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick In The Wall” inside Wheatus’ “Teenage Dirtbag,” and the group putting pedal to the metal with versions of Ozzy Osbourne’s “No More Tears,” Pantera’s “Walk” and a Sevendust song to finish out the set.

The nightcap set was exciting, if a bit predictable. Juiced broke out the expected set of crowd-pleasing favorites, such as Tom Petty’s “American Girl,” Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” James’ “Laid,” the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (Yo Party),” keyboardist Doug Buch’s recital of Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” and more. Carrie and Juiced allowed democracy to determine the night-ending encore, as the group used a crowd voice vote to determine the final song of the night; Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” won convincingly.

As Juiced parties went, this one was good. The group kept their presentation upbeat and nonstop, and kept the stagefront masses attentive and present during the entire sets. Singer Carrie again was constant movement all about the stage, continuing to take her game to the stagefront crowd and keep them riveted to the show. I’d still like to see this band mix it up more, vary the song order, and perhaps platoon a few different elements into their show with each visit. I got a sense of musical déjà vu during Juiced’s third set this night, the feeling that I had been here once, twice, errr…numerous times before!

But bottom line, the Pelly’s crowd was happy; and could return to the tedium of their weekday day jobs – content that they had been soundly rocked by Juiced yet again to send another weekend into the books.

Greg Folsom of Juiced.

Crooning Neil Diamond to the fans, Doug Buch of Juiced.

Once again, Doug Buch of Juiced.

Darrell Hetrick of Juiced.

Carrie Rapaport of Juiced.

Doug Buch of Juiced, leaving another female fan spellbound.

Norm Marks and Carrie Rapaport of Juiced.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: