· The Final Cut
NEW YEAR'S EVE/WEEKEND RECAP 1/5/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Feb 08, 2004 

NEW YEAR’S EVE/WEEKEND RECAP 1/5/03:

VS. THE EARTH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 12/31/03-1/1/04

For me, City Limits again served as the setting to slam the lid on the old year, and blow the lid off the new one. And Vs. the Earth provided the rocking soundtrack to get 2004 started.

City Limits was already near packed when I arrived early, and would only get more packed as the night continued. And as Vs. the Earth commenced the evening with an original song to start their first set, revelers instantly took up position on the dance floor – this crowd was ready to party! And you could tell it was going to be a big night at City Limits, as the flower hucksters were in the house already, trying to score bouquet sales off of people hoping to score.

Onstage, singer/guitarist Adam Marino, lead guitarist Mike Ritchey, bassist Big Dawg and drummer Shawn Hocherl warmed up with classics from Bryan Adams, Metallica, Steve Miller, Van Morrison, Aerosmith and Tom Petty; current favorites from Blink 182 and Fountains of Wayne, and a few original songs, ending their set with the single “She Rocks Me.” The dance floor packed quickly, and more people steadily arrived at City Limits as the set progressed.

With the room quickly filling up, I grabbed my party hat and noisemakers. Was it my imagination, or did City Limits get into a bad batch of noisemakers this year? It took me two or three tries to finally get a decent noisemaker that didn’t sound like a moose with laryngitis!

With minutes to spare in 2003, Vs. the Earth kicked off their second set with another original tune, and punched out a few covers before suddenly counting down to midnight and the champagne- and beer-soaked start to 2004. Women hugged, men drank; and veteran of City Limits New Year’s Eve celebrations that I was, I vaulted back to the pool table area, where City Limits’ kitchen staff had just unveiled the midnight food spread. Experience paid off, I beat the rush and was one of the first in line! Vs. the Earth continued with AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long,” their rocking take on the ever-popular “Auld Lang Syne,” the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (To Party)” and KISS’ “Rock and Roll All Night,” before the other band members vacated the stage and left Shawn Hocherl pound out a drum solo. The group then resumed with John Mellencamp’s “Jack and Diane,” Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” Garth Brooks’ “Friends in Low Places” and Violent Femmes’ “Blister In The Sun.” Adam and co. then led the audience in a patriotic singalong version of Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the U.S.A.,” before sending their second set to intermission with the original tune “Untouchable.”

During the second intermission, many of the dance floor participants were taking in the food buffet, while some of the hardcore revelers were letting out their food intake elsewhere in the building (although City Limits’ men’s room survived this New Year’s Eve in relatively good shape, compared to previous years).

As Adam strapped on his acoustic guitar and commenced the nightcap set with the original song “Carolina Sky,” some commotion erupted near the front door as a shouting match erupted between two less festive revelers. One of the participants shouted and tried to rush the other, but was quickly intercepted and extricated from the building by City Limits’ security. You could just feel the love in the room…

Back onstage before a happy, jumping dance floor; Vs. the Earth escalated the pace with their new original song, “Friend Zone,” before ripping into Guns’n’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Ala-(Toona).” The group then brushed off their rocking version of the holiday tune “Silver Bells” (Memo to Vs. the Earth – RECORD THIS for next holiday season, so I can play it on my Christmas special!) The party continued with the original rocker “Forever Yours,” Disturbed’s “Sickness,” the hit “Psycho,” House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me” and the original “The American Teenage Anthem” to end the night.

From Vs. the Earth, another damn good party! Playing on New Year’s Eve before a packed hometown crowd has a way of firing these guys up; the group quickly escalated the party to a feverish high in the early going, and never relinquished the energy level. Adam was his usual, talkative, cordial self on the lead mic; Ritchey and Shawn were their typical uptempo and intense; and Big Dawg seemed little worse the wear after losing his football bet and having an R waxed onto his leg (see the group’s website, www.vstheearth.com, for the photos; that had to be painful). Every song this band did had the crowd dancing, singing, and otherwise crazily cavorting about the dance floor, it was all good! 2004 had successfully been launched; here’s hoping this party set the stage for a good year!

Happy New Year!

Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Shawn Hocherl of Vs. the Earth.

Rallying the New Year’s revelers, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Big Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Helping the City Limits “Ravens” get 2004 off to the proper start, Vs. the Earth.

The fans will drink to that, as Vs. the Earth continues the party madness.

Have a drink on me…Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

Hey Everyone, say “Versus…”

Say “The…”

Say “Earth!”

Once again, Adam Marino of Vs. the Earth.

For Brian and Jim, 2004 is off to a good start…

It looks like 2004 has begun well for “Planet Fan” Jen as well…

Guv’nor Jesse and City Limits’ Brandi ring in 2004.

Brianna strikes a pose with the Guv’nor as well…

NEGATIVE SPACE @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 1/2/04

Beyond New Year’s Eve itself, the first band I would take in for 2004 was Negative Space, paying one of their more frequent visits lately to the 4D’s Lounge.

As I watched their show unfold this night, I found it hard to believe that this band has been around for the better part of a decade; at least in name (Bassist Mark Reinmiller is the only remaining original member). Negative Space has evolved since those early days in 1997, from the more progressive alternative flavor of their debut CD to their current, modern punk/pop flavor. Their current direction has served them well; making Negative Space a buzz band in music industry circles, gaining them substantial radio airplay in their homebase Lancaster/York/Harrisburg area, and earning them a continually widening fan base.

Perhaps a result of everybody being partied out and empty-walleted after New Year’s Eve, the 4D’s was empty early on for Negative Space’s first set. Mark, singer Josh Nice, guitarists Chris Stum and Rick Lienhard, and drummer Justin Neighbour kicked the evening off in a heavy vein with Korn’s “Falling Away.” The group then fired off Me First and the Gimme Gimmes’ uptempo punkish treatment of Cat Stevens’ “Wild World.” Although the 4D’s was empty, a few rowdy ladies on the Dees’ upper seating level quickly started cheering wildly for Negative Space, so the group had at least a few fans in the house. The group introduced an original song, “Best Kept Secret,” from their recently-released third EP, Nothing Ordinary. Rick took over lead mic duties on Greenday’s “She,” before the group introduced some “old-school Sublime” (!?) and performed “What I Got.” They then did a punkish take on Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker,” and demonstrated their onstage jumping abilities. (OBSERVATION: If Sublime is now considered “old-school,” what does that make the Steve Miller Band – “ancient” school?) Josh and Mark then swapped positions, with Josh strapping on the bass while Mark sang lead on Good Charlotte’s “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.” Negative Space then introduced another original tune, “All I Know,” before wrapping up their first set with a Trapt number.

A few folks slowly trickled into the 4D’s during the first set and intermission, including a contingent from Flight 19 there to represent. A few folks remarked to me during the first intermission that they liked what Negative Space had offered up thus far. I was enjoying the show thus far myself; I thought Negative Space executed their material crisply and generated excitement and enthusiasm with their presentation. Their sound production was strong and balanced; but I think a larger-scale light show would have served the group better this night, and would have drawn more attention towards the stage. Although the crowd was small, Negative Space was pulling the stops to entertain them, and their show was winning some new fans.

Negative Space soon started back in with their second set, again mixing current favorites, classics and original tunes. The group saw some limited dancefloor action erupt during Bryan Adams’ “Summer of 69” and Tom Petty’s “American Girl,” as some of the assembled fans were warming up to Negative Space’s presentation. The group broke out “Anthem” from their previous EP, From All Thoughts Everywhere, and continued with the Ataris’ take on Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer.” Blur’s “Song 2” and Blink 182’s “Dammit” kept some revelers on the dance floor, before the group broke out the original song “Dirty” and attempted to initiate a singalong with the tune’s “Dirty little whore” choruses; unfortunately, there were not enough bodies inside the 4D’s to get the singalong to work this night. Rick took over lead mic for the band’s version of The Proclaimers’ “500 Miles,” and Mark and Josh again swapped bass and lead vocal duties for the White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army.” A version of Puddle of Mudd’s “She Hates Me” led to this set’s finale; a slamming, uptempo take on Journey’s ballad “Faithfully.”

The 4D’s never did get packed this night, but the crowd situation was definitely healthier by the night’s second intermission than it was during the first, and the Dees bar area had become busier. Hopefully some of these folks would venture onto the dancefloor for Negative Space’s nightcap set.

Negative Space launched their final set with Trapt’s “Headstrong,” and once again mixed up new and old favorites. Green Day’s “Basket Case” and Nena’s “99 Redballoons” drew dancers back onto the floor, and House Of Pain’s “Jump Around” – sung by Josh and Rick – kept them there. Rick and Mark then fronted the group on Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (To Party),” as Negative Space was stepping up the tempo of the party into the homestretch run. The group kept the smallish core group of dancers happy for the duration with tunes from Cheap Trick, Violent Femmes, Van Morrison, The Clash, Jimmy Eats World, Metallica and George Michael/Limp Bizkit’s “Faith” to slam the lid on the night.

Although the crowd was never huge this night, it was clear by the rush of people towards the stage at night’s end that Negative Space had won some new fans and made a good impression. Again I was impressed by the group’s tightness and enthusiasm, as Negative Space went for broke whether there were 20 fans or 200 in the house. Several fans remarked to me that they were going to spread the word about Negative Space, and see to it that a lot more fans are present for this group’s next visit to our neck of the woods.

Justin Neighbour of Negative Space.

Negative Space brings the party to the 4D’s Lounge.

Chris Stum of Negative Space.

Once again, Negative Space rocks the 4D’s.

Rick Lienhard of Negative Space.

Taking his turn on lead mic, Mark Reinmiller of Negative Space.

Again, Rick Lienhard of Negative Space.

Josh Nice of Negative Space.

AXUM @ LOUIE’S AFTER DARK, WILLIAMSBURG 1/3/04

This Saturday night was a weird one for the beginning of January – warm, rainy and foggy. But that meant I could travel, and I did so, making my first-ever visit to Louie’s After Dark near Williamsburg to check in with Axum.

Louie’s had a respectable mid-sized crowd present as I arrived during Axum’s second set. Singer/guitarist Tim McKenna, lead guitarist Don Shiner, bassist Matt Croyle and drummer Chris Monteagudo mixed current and classic favorites. Although dance floor action was slow during this set, the close proximity of band to crowd at Louie’s kept much of the crowd interested in the show. Axum proceeded through Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and the EMF’s “Unbelievable, before Tim and Chris swapped positions for White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army;” with Tim going behind the drum kit and Chris singing lead. The group shifted into Sublime mode for “Wrong Way,” and picked up the pace with the Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated.” Songs from Limp Bizkit and Blur led into the Don-fronted version of Duran Duran’s “Hungry Like the Wolf,” which pulled several ladies onto Louie’s dance floor. Green Day’s “Longview” and Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love” led to a version of Bob Marley’s reggae classic No Woman No Cry,” before Axum finished the set strong with their version of Pearl Jam’s “Alive.”

Axum often keeps their original and cover song presentations separate; and with the group breaking in a new room this night, they were sticking to the cover song side of the spectrum. As such, the group gave a loose and laid-back feel onstage this night, with Tim periodically chatting to the crowd, and the group having fun onstage with little sense of urgency. So far, it seemed they were going over well at this new venue, and the Louie’s crowd – with members of Bad Daze and Frayed in the house – seemed to appreciate their efforts.

Axum’s final set of the night offered up an interesting mixture of flavors. The group resumed action with Stone Temple Pilots’ “Wicked Garden,” and did another song before shifting into rap-rock mode with Tim and Chris barking the lead on the Run D.M.C./Aerosmith take on “Walk This Way.” The group performed Fuel’s “Shimmer” and Tool’s “Sober,” before Tim and Chris again swapped positions to enable Chris to front the band on Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean.” Axum then did 311’s “All Mixed Up,” before triggering the night’s busiest dance floor action with Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock’n’Roll,” with Don singing lead. The group continued with Green Day’s “Basket Case” and Sublime’s “Santeria,” before stepping up the intensity with System Of A Down’s “Chop Suey.” Axum pulled out a Sum 41 song, before ending the night with an original tune, “Commercial.”

Axum gave a solid performance, and were on the mark both vocally and instrumentally. As mentioned before, this night was more laid-back, and Tim and the group maintained a friendly vibe with the Louie’s audience. Except for the handful of dancers during the third set, this crowd wasn’t particularly rowdy, but seemed to appreciate Axum’s efforts and cheered the group after every song. This would be Axum’s last local show before heading to Key West, Florida for a week of shows and R-n-R; given how winter would make its frigid presence known in the week following this show, Axum’s timing couldn’t have been better.

Axum, rocking Louie’s After Dark.

Stepping from behind the drum kit to sing lead, Chris Monteagudo of Axum.

Tim McKenna of Axum.

Again, Axum, bringing the party to Louie’s After Dark.

Don Shiner and Tim McKenna of Axum.

Matt Croyle of Axum.

One more time, Axum at Louie’s After Dark.

POPTART MONKEYS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/4/04

This weekend drew to a close for me with more Poptart Monkeys craziness at Pellegrine’s.

The Poptarts’ party was already going strong as I arrived during the second set. The Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse already had his table and beer pitcher set up onstage, and a well-populated Pellegrine’s was frequenting the stagefront dance floor as the Poptart Monkeys were firing through the B-52’s “Love Shack” and Good Charlotte’s “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.” The group broke out two original songs, including “Nashville Hooker” from their Just Like Me CD; before wrapping up the set with Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing In The Name.”

The mood was festive at this point of the night; evidence that the Poptart Monkeys were getting it done with the Pellegrine’s crowd and delivering the maximum party. Guv’nor Jesse informed me that the group had some special craziness planned for the third set, and requested the removal of the table and chairs so they could carry out their plan. It sounded like things were going to get crazier.

The Poptart Monkeys reignited the party with Lit’s “All the Small Things” and the Ataris’ take on Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer.” The group teased some 80’s rock with Poison’s “Nothin’ But a Good Time,” including an Aerosmith “Eat The Rich” midsection. Perhaps setting the stage for the remainder of the set’s craziness, the group then broke out their original “She Likes Girlz.” Then it was on – frontman Tyson Clark donned his big hair wig, and the Poptart Monkeys kicked off an 80’s hair-band medley with several Bon Jovi selections; during which the group brought onstage one young lady celebrating her 21st birthday this night, and then several other ladies to demonstrate their best dance moves. The medley eventually shifted from Bon Jovi gear to Poison’s “Unskinny Bop” and Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health,” with Tyson flexing his full Kevin DuBrow howl. The group broke out Stroke 9’s “Little Black Backpack,” and slyly incorporated Bad Company’s “Feel Like Makin’ Love” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” into it. After Fountains of Wayne’s “Stacy’s Mom,” the Poptart Monkeys delivered another oddball combo, fusing the “Brady Bunch” theme into Puddle of Mudd’s “She Hates Me.” The Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (To Party)” and Papa Roach’s “Last Resort” drew the set to a close, but the rowdy Pellegrine’s crowd wasn’t letting the party end just yet, and wanted more. For the encore, the Poptart Monkeys uncorked Linkin Park’s “One Step Closer,” Marilyn Manson’s “The Beautiful People” and Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” to slam the lid on the night.

This was another freewheeling and fun Poptart Monkeys party. Tyson Clark, guitarist Chris Kurtz and bassist James Balogach again flew about the stage like sugared-up kids at a pajama party; constantly working the crowd, playing off one another both musically and comically, and keeping the onstage energy level at a feverish high. Behind it all, Rob Hampton executed his steady beats with drum machine steadiness, providing both the steady tempo and the straight-guy foil to his bandmates comic craziness.

The Poptart Monkeys again showed this night why they are one of the premiere party bands in this state, as they combined high-powered music and unpredictable frivolity into a feverish onstage celebration that keeps the crowd hooked from start to end. That combination worked well at Pellegrine’s again this night, convincingly sending another weekend into the history books in a blaze of glory.

Sporting his best mullet, Tyson Clark of Poptart Monkeys.

James Balogach and Tyson Clark of Poptart Monkeys.

Again, Tyson and the mullet…

Chris Kurtz of Poptart Monkeys.

Rob Hampton of Poptart Monkeys.

James Balogach of Poptart Monkeys.

Again, Rob Hampton of Poptart Monkeys.

Accompanied by a birthday celebrant ringing in her 21st, James Balogach of Poptart Monkeys.

Demonstrating their best ‘Riverdance’ moves, Tyson Clark and Chris Kurtz of Poptart Monkeys.

Now without the mullet, Tyson Clark of Poptart Monkeys.

Tyson Clark takes it to the fans.

With help from a female guest, Chris Kurtz of Poptart Monkeys.

Providing the beat behind it all, Rob Hampton of Poptart Monkeys.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: