previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 11, 2009 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/27/06

ADAM, DWANE & BIG JIM @ BELMAR HOTEL, ALTOONA 3/21/06

Big Jim, Dwane Edmiston and Adam D.

RUSTY GUN REVIVAL/SINNER’S PLEA @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/22/06

Rusty Gun Revival.

With his long-horned bass, Ed “Red” McDonald of Rusty Gun Revival.

Marc “Slim” Prave of Rusty Gun Revival.

Slim and Red prove that Red’s bass is one tough instrument!

JENN LONDON @ PENN STATE ALTOONA SLEP CENTER, ALTOONA 3/23/06

As part of its celebration of March, Women’s History Month, Penn State Altoona presented New York City-based singer, songwriter and guitarist Jenn London at the Slep Center this night.

I had seen Jenn London perform a few songs at the 2002 Millenium Music Conference in Harrisburg. Although I only witnessed 2 or 3 songs, I was impressed and captivated by Jenn’s emotion and energy. So when I learned that she was visiting my hometown, I marked this appearance on my calendar and made a point to catch her performance.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t a big crowd present to watch Jenn’s performance, only perhaps 20 people tops. But Jenn graciously stepped up to the stage as the clock struck 10 PM, and introduced the seated observers to her musical world.

At the top of the show, Jenn briefly explained that she abandoned using set lists a while ago, and uses an interesting method to pick her songs for any given show – selecting song titles from a small, zebra-striped box she keeps alongside her on stage. She went on to perform a mixture of original songs and select covers. Many of the original songs were from her just-released CD Brutal Evolution, including “All You Need,” “It’s All Okay,” “My Way,” “Lost & Free,” the title track “Brutal Evolution,” “More Than You Lack” and “Missing You.” Jenn also did some songs from her earlier CD Crazy Thoughts, including the title song and others. And she picked out an interesting range of cover material, doing her own darker spin on the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction,” Pearl Jam’s “Release,” Blind Melon’s “No Pain,” Nirvana’s “Come As You Are” and the Police’s “King of Pain.” Jenn explained that she chooses to cover just ‘guy songs’ because she thinks she’d just end up sounding like any female singers she’d try to cover.

Through it all, Jenn displayed a clear, sharp voice and a singing style that escalated in intensity through the course of many of her songs. She clearly showed a distinct style and signature, and established her own voice and personality through her music.

I’m glad I made the effort to catch Jenn’s visit to the ‘Toona, and hope that someday she’ll bring her musical talents back this way again.

New York City’s Jenn London.

Again, Jenn London.

One more time, Jenn London.

PLAZMA @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 3/23/06

Plazma.

Brian Pavlic of Plazma.

DENISE BALDWIN/TONY MOLLICK PROJECT @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 3/24/06

Denise Baldwin kicks off the night at Burgi’s.

Again, Denise Baldwin.

The Tony Mollick Project.

Fuzz McGirk of the Tony Mollick Project.

Namesake Tony Mollick.

David Blake of the Tony Mollick Project.

Again, TMP.

Again, Tony Mollick.

More Tony Mollick Project.

One more time, Tony Mollick.

3 BROKEN DOLLS/SUBDUE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 3/24/06

After Tony Mollick Project finished up their performance at Burgi’s, I shot up the road to City Limits to try to catch the remainder of 3 Broken Dolls’ performance. Obviously I arrived too late to see openers Subdue; but one of their members gave me a demo CD to check out. (Thanks!)

I arrived in time to catch 3 Broken Dolls’ last two songs of the evening, Collective Soul’s “Where The River Flows” and Bush’s “Little Things.” As folks were chattering to me at the bar, I couldn’t follow along with the action on stage closely, but 3 Broken Dolls – with a totally revamped line-up since the last time I saw them in late 2004 – sounded respectable from what I witnessed; and although not a big crowd at City Limits this night, there were at least a couple of ladies on the dance floor during the show’s waning moments.

After the show, the Pennsylvania State Police provided the entertainment, pulling over a jeep near the City Limits parking lot. Several police cruisers were present with lights blazing; an impressive show that made more than a few of City Limits’ late-night patrons a little nervous.

PA CLEANWAYS BENEFIT w/FELIX & THE HURRICANES/FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS/GYPSY PIANO BLUES/BEYOND REASON @ VICTORY LANE SALOON, ALTOONA 3/25/06

Kicking off the PA Cleanways benefit concert, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Again, the Hurricanes.

E. Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys trigger activity on the Victory Lane dance floor.

Again, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Randy Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Jeff Van Clief of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Once again, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Gypsy with musical friends, including members of Beyond Reason and PA Cleanways member Dave Thomas on harmonica.

Dave Thomas, Beyond Reason’s Dan Myers II and Gypsy.

Gypsy’s rhythm section this night, Beyond Reason’s Chris Myers on drums and Kevin Share on bass.

Again, Gypsy Piano Blues and friends.

Wailing on harmonica, Dave Thomas.

Beyond Reason caps the PA Cleanways benefit concert.

Jamie “Deathmaster” Smith of Beyond Reason.

Happy jamming with Beyond Reason.

Tom “Urbs” Urbain of Beyond Reason.

Again, “The Deathmaster” of Beyond Reason.

Once again, Jamie from Beyond Reason.

“The Deathmaster,” with glow-in-the-dark features.

More of Beyond Reason.

Chris Myers of Beyond Reason.

Beyond Reason keeps the PA Cleanways party going.

Dan Myers II of Beyond Reason.

Again, “Urbs” of Beyond Reason.

Beyond Reason, with guest Dave Thomas (PA Cleanways member) on harmonica.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/26/06

Not much to report this night…The combination of the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse bringing the DVD of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country plus my detection of the arrival of a sinus cold this night prompted me to remain in Pelly’s back room near the entrance; so I didn’t venture out into the front room to take in Green Eggs’ performance.

Green Eggs did appear to have the party well in hand, with a good-sized Pelly’s crowd in a festive mood as the group played their seamless mixture of modern and classic rock, dance and hip-hop favorites, and more. I heard such Green Eggs staples as Abba’s “Dancing Queen,” Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again,” Guns’N’Roses’ “Paradise City” and more; and also heard the group’s version of Mr. Big’s “To Be With You,” a tune Green Eggs only occasionally breaks out.

The movie was good, and from what I heard and witnessed from the back room, Green Eggs’ party appeared to be a good time as well. And hopefully the sinus cold will be short-lived…

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: