· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/22/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/22/06

BAD HAIR DAY @ ELECTRIC AVENUE, HOUTZDALE 5/17/06

Bad Hair Day, entertaining another Wednesday “Bike Night” at Electric Avenue in Houtzdale.

ICARUS WITCH/STRONGHOLD/WHITE WITCH @ HARD ROCK CAFÉ, PITTSBURGH 5/19/06

This Friday night, I attended a three-band show at the Hard Rock Cafe at Station Square in Pittsburgh. The show itself, featuring the regional classic metal-geared bands Icarus Witch, Stronghold and White Witch, was very good. The roadtrip to the show wasn't. It was off and on rain; and not a steady rain, either, but the varying and spitting type of rain that made you vary the speed of your windshield wipers every 20 seconds, GRRR!!! Then, the road construction along Route 22 and I-376 entering Pittsburgh. It is my roadtrip fantasy to someday do a journey from Altoona to Pittsburgh without encountering any road construction anywhere along the way...that will probably happen at about the same time that the Pirates win another World Series. I was fortunate that I learned via the Penndot radio frequency in Pittsburgh that they were planning to close I-376 between 2 and 4 AM Saturday morning in order to remove a pedestrian bridge near Oakland. Knowing this, I hightailed it homeward shortly after the Hard Rock show ended near 1:30 AM, and just cleared the pedestrian bridge area along I-376 minutes before they were to shut down that stretch of the interstate. Other than some mountain top fog east of Blairsville, the rest of the trip back home was uneventful.

Some pictures of the bands:

Kicking off the night, Pittsburgh’s Icarus Witch.

Again, Icarus Witch.

More of Icarus Witch.

Steve Pollick of Icarus Witch.

Matthew Bizilia of Icarus Witch.

Pittsburgh rockers Stronghold. With the exception of drummer Chris Batton, this was a totally overhauled lineup from the Stronghold that played Aldo’s a couple of years earlier.

Bill Staley of Stronghold.

Again, Stronghold.

Stronghold, with Chris and Lori of The Underground Television looking on.

Williamsport hard rockers White Witch, making their first appearance at Pittsburgh’s Hard Rock Café.

Jack Death of White Witch.

Again, White Witch.

Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

Once again, White Witch.

With The Underground Television cameras filming, White Witch.

Carl Berry of White Witch.

More White Witch.

Doug Lehman of White Witch.

One more time, White Witch.

Bud, Stacy and Chris of The Underground Television, in the house.

THE MARAUDERS @ THE R-BAR, HYDE 5/20/06

The Marauders, entertaining a matinee show at the R-Bar.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Abe Weber of The Marauders.

Ben Dumm gets some elevation courtesy of Chris Lawson’s upright bass.

Again, The Marauders.

One more time, The Marauders.

ANYTHING JANE @ THE BREWERY, STATE COLLEGE 5/20/06

Joe Shriner of Anything Jane.

Joshua Miles of Anything Jane.

A female parties down behind Joe Shriner of Anything Jane.

Again, Joe and a dancing lady.

Again, Anything Jane with dancing guest.

More partying down with Anything Jane.

Joshua Miles takes the guitar behind his neck.

The dancing gal is still getting down.

One more time, Anything Jane.

Here’s a little public service announcement that was posted in the men’s room, courtesy of the Brewery janitorial staff…

BLAIR COUNTY ARTS FESTIVAL @ PENN STATE ALTOONA 5/21/06

I then took in the last day of the annual Blair County Arts Festival on Sunday afternoon. It was sunny, breezy and cool, and got colder as the day progressed. By the time British Invasion took the stage after 5 PM, I could have used some gloves! And I'm sure the band could have used them as well, especially Rick the guitar player!

What I took in of the Arts Festival was enjoyable, although I think the colder temps might have hurt the attendance...that, or lack of promotion - I didn't hear or see a whole lot of advertising for this year's Festival, other than seeing a few signs posted along some of the local highways.

The entertainment I saw was all good. The Michael O'Brian Band was fun as they did their Irish drinking songs, although since this was the Arts Festival, they didn't have any Guinness to enhance their frivolity! I also watched "The Banjo Man," Jim Haner; and was pleasantly surprised with his performance, during which he gave background and insight on a number of tunes that he played, including old country, folk and bluegrass tunes, old-time country radio ad jingles, the themes from Petticoat Junction and Beverly Hillbillies. I also caught some of Tommy Wareham's performance, which concentrated on jazz standards; and the aforementioned British Invasion, doing British rock and roll from the 60's and 70's from the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Deep Purple and more.

I enjoyed what I experienced at the Blair County Arts Festival, but a part of me still wants to see it someday return to downtown Altoona. I still think the Arts Fest had more of a community atmosphere when it took place along 11th Avenue. It would seem that with the Penn State Altoona Downtown Conference Center, the Heritage Plaza, the Heritage Discovery Center, the Railroader's Memorial Museum, the Mishler Theatre and the Blair County Arts Foundation headquarters all located within a few block radius in downtown, that you could stage different events and displays in and around downtown Altoona using those facilities, along with some performance stages in the Curtin Mall and Heritage Plaza areas. The downtown businesses (at least the ones still there) might see some increased traffic over Arts Fest weekend if the event were staged in downtown. The Fest could also serve as a showcase to possibly lure new businesses into downtown. And if it could be coordinated with other scheduled concerts and other events in downtown throughout the year, the Arts Fest could be a key component for drawing visitors back into downtown Altoona.

I know, wishful thinking... Although I've seen similar things taking place in other towns, it will probably take a change in prevailing attitudes and mindsets before such dreams can happen in downtown Altoona again. I can always hope...

The Michael O’Brian Band.

Brian Anderson of The Michael O’Brian Band.

Mike Zerbee of The Michael O’Brian Band.

Under the tent outside of the Misciagna Arts Center, the “Banjo Man,” Jim Haner.

Again, Jim Haner, “The Banjo Man.”

Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

Tommy Wareham.

The British Invasion.

Bob Gates and Brian Jones of The British Invasion.

Rick Wertz of The British Invasion.

Again, The British Invasion.

More British Invasion.

Again, Rick Wertz.

Bob Gates of The British Invasion.

Beau Saller of The British Invasion.

Brian Jones of The British Invasion.

One more time, The British Invasion.

TIL DECEMBER @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/21/06

Fans look on as Til December rocks Pellegrine’s.

Goody of Til December.

Once again, Til December and fans.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: