· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/19/10 PT. 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Aug 06, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/19/10 PT. 2

FELIX & THE HURRICANES BIKINI BLUES CRUISE ABOARD THE PROUD MARY, LAKE RAYSTOWN 7/18/10

Another highlight of summer I had been anticipating was the first of Felix & the Hurricanes’ own Blues Cruises aboard the “Proud Mary” riverboat at Lake Raystown. This day featured the Hurricanes’ Bikini Blues Cruise.

I got a little bit of fishing in at Raystown prior to the Cruise, drowning a few worms at the Shy Beaver boat launch area. I caught a few bait-stealing sunfish, and one bait-stealing little turtle!

A good-sized crowd was on hand as I arrived for the pre-Cruise picnic under the pavilion. Good grub was abundant, including ziti, meatballs, haluski, pasta and taco salads, baked beans and other good edibles, washed down with complimentary brews and sodas!

I decided to head down early to await boarding the Proud Mary. I got a bit of a show while waiting, watching the multitude of bluegill sunfish and carp assembled at the dock, waiting for handouts. One family - I suspect from Eastern Europe, judging by the language and accents - provided the handouts, tossing several breaded items into the water, causing fast fish feeding frenzies as bluegills and carp battled for the edibles. A few ducks in the vicinity couldn’t compete, and didn’t.

Soon we boarded the boat, and the party on the lake was ready to amp up! It was a full house on the top deck of the Proud Mary, with a mix of familiar Hurricaniac faces and a few newcomers experiencing this fun trip for the first time.

At 4:30. the anchor went up, the boat departed the dock, and the Hurricanes began their performance on the lake. Felix, Bob and Jeff did a mix of classics, favorites and original songs during the 2-hour duration of the voyage, Lots of familiar Hurricanes favorites and covers were performed; including tunes from Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Ted Nugent, Blackfoot, Georgia Satellites, Los Lonely Boys, Eric Clapton, Grand Funk Railroad and more. Some highlights included Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath” sent out to Hurricaniac Denny Claar, Ted Nugent’s “Great White Buffalo” and “Stranglehold,” Grand Funk Railroad’s “I’m Your Captain (Closer to Home),” and original song favorites like “La La Land,” “Keep On Rockin,’” “Looky There,” “Cross That Line” and more. People dancing on the deck, brews, friends, and friendly vibes were abundant during the voyage, and even a few bikinis were present on the boat. With the warm temperatures, one Hurricaniac provided ice water-soaked towels as relief to Hurricaniacs in danger of overheating on the top deck.

It again amounted to a great time on Lake Raystown, as Hurricanes and Hurricaniacs partied down on the water. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and eagerly await the Hurricanes’ next Cruise this fall!

Every good Hurricanes Blues Cruise starts off with the pre-Cruise picnic under the pavilion.

This is one gig where the venue comes to the fans instead of the other way around...The Proud Mary arrives at dock from a prior cruise.

Fish wars! Bluegill sunfish and carp clamor for a bread roll tossed in the lake.

One of the hefty carp marauding the Raystown shoreline.

Party on the Proud Mary!

The captain for this day’s Blues Cruise.

The Proud Mary’s lovely beertenders.

Revelers look on as Hurricane Felix sings

Lots of happy people on the Proud Mary.

Hurricane Felix is “guitarded.”

Other boats and cliff-diving in Lake Raystown.

Another boating enthusiast on the lake.

Jetskis were prominent on the lake this day.

Hurricane Bob.

More good times on the Proud Mary!

Hurricane Felix and somebody else preserving the moment

These passers-by are enjoying the live music!.

A jetskiing couple rides by.

More jetskiing fun near the Proud Mary.

Hurricane Jeff.

Again, Bob of the Hurricanes

The Hurricanes’ party voyage continues.

Taking in the party, former Flame Sky member turned real estate mogul Ed Brinkel, with his better half Dana.

More fun aboard the Proud Mary!

More partying passers-by on the lake!

Also partaking in the day’s Bikini Blues Cruise festivities, frequent flyer Hurricaniac Frank.

Guv’nor Jesse, enjoying the day.

Partying down with the Hurricanes!

There’s a happy Professor!

Once again, the Hurricanes.

Relief from the heat with an ice water-soaked towel!

More good times!

Again, Hurricane Jeff with some happy Hurricaniacs.

Guest Artie Burtnett helps with backing vocals.

Another passing jetskiier.

Again, Hurricane Jeff.

Guv’nor Jesse gets refreshed with an ice water-soaked towel.

A near miss...the gal in the center flashed the Proud Mary, but my camera was just a split-second too slow to catch it...Damn!

Hurricaniacs reluctantly depart the Proud Mary as another Blues Cruise has ended.

MIA MANIA @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/18/10

After the Hurricanes’ Blues Cruise, I eventually arrived at Pellegrine’s to finish up another weekend, with Mia Mania providing the musical entertainment.

Again, attendance was disappointingly low for Mia Mania’s party. I caught some of the band’s party up close in the main band room, but there was heavy competition for my attentions from the rear room DVD player near the door, as the “DVD of the week” was a movie I eagerly wanted to see, The Book of Eli with Denzel Washington.

I watched and enjoyed the DVD, but also enjoyed what I saw of Mia Mania. Singer Brian Storm, guitarist Chris Lee, bassist Jason Dumm and drummer Justin Betz tried to rally the troops with modern rock and dance numbers. Their set list this night included songs from Blur, Jimmy Eat World, Violent Femmes, Rage Against the Machine, Fuel, Puddle Of Mudd, Collective Soul, Tonic, Stone Temple Pilots, Tool and more.

Given the circumstances, Mia Mania provided a good party. It would have been better had there been bodies in the house, but it was still a good time.

Chris Lee of Mia Mania, laying down on the job.

Again, Chris and Mia Mania.

More of Chris and Mia Mania.

Chris Lee and Brian Storm of Mia Mania.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: