· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/26/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Aug 13, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/26/10

DOUBLE-D @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/19/10

This week, it was the duo of Adam D and Eric D - “Double D” - entertaining wing-eaters at Pellegrine’s.

As Mondays go, this one was rather uneventful. Adam and Eric alternated singing duties as they performed their respective selections of song material. Although a lot of the music this night was familiar territory for both musicians, there were a few highlights. Adam broke out Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun,” Scorpions’ “Still Loving You” and The Who’s “The Real Me” among his song list; while Eric did “House of the Rising Sun” and “Wagon Wheel.” One other highlight was the Rolling Stones double-shot, where Eric’s “Sympathy for the Devil” was chased by Adam’s “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

With only a handful of people in the house this night, the music ended early.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/21/10

It was another busy edition of Pellegrine’s weekly Wednesday Jam Night, with some more new faces showing up to take part.

As I first arrived, jam host Adam D on keys, Tim Kelly on bass, Greg Larrimore on guitar and Steve Brulia on drums were performing several songs, including The Flys’ “Got You Where I Want You,” the Romantics’ “What I Like About You” (with Priscilla the Tambourine Lady playing along), Kid Rock’s “All Summer Long” and Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me.” I would later learn that this was not just some random assemblage of musicians that converged to jam together, but a new band, Johnny Danger, stage-testing some songs as they get ready to hit local stages.

At this point, two more Jam Night newcomers - Ric Criste and Craig Albright (a name not seen on Altoona area stages for years) joined Adam, Tim, Steve and Eric D to do renditions of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy” and the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” Adam, Rich Dasch and Terry Wilt on drums proceeded to do numbers by John Mayer, Beatles, John Lennon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Hollies and Ray Charles’ “Hit the Road Jack.” Eric D replaced Rich, joining Adam and Terry on numbers by the Rolling Stones, Georgia Satellites and more. Mike Gambardella joined in on guitar for several numbers, before Kira Burley joined him on a song they are currently shopping to Rascal Flatts called “Love with a Capital L.” Kira also sang lead on Heart’s “Straight On” and Gretchen Wilson’s “Redneck Woman.” The jam session continued with Adam, Terry, Rich Piccerillo on guitar on several numbers. For the finale, local comedy organization Issues Entertainment representative/comedian Brandon Pine arrived in the house with an associate. The associate, whose name we never learned, could play guitar. He got up and did three songs - Bob Marley’s “No Woman No Cry” and “Songs of Freedom,” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Wing.” He was stylish and smooth on guitar - this guy could play!

Once again, Wednesday jam night brought some new faces and revealed some new talents; and was a fun time.

Another jam night at Pellegrine’s, featuring (left to right) Ric Criste, Adam D, Craig Albright, Steve Brulia, Eric D and Tim Kelly.

Mike Gambardella and Kira Burley.

Adam D, Terry Wilt and Rich Piccerillo.

MY HERO ZERO/CHRIS VIPOND AND THE STANLEY STREET BAND @ LAKEMONT PARK WING-OFF, ALTOONA 7/22/10

The third installment of the Lakemont WingOffs featured an interesting pairing of bands; Happy Valley party rockers My Hero Zero and Altoona’s Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Following my usual strategy, I first procured my initial dozen wings before the crowds arrived and the lines grew long. I headed to Stingers (formerly Wing’n’aters) and obtained a half dozen golden garlic and a half-dozen mango habanero; the latter is fast becoming a favorite variety of mine at this year’s WingOffs.

I procured a strategic picnic bench seat in viewing range of My Hero Zero under the pavilion. This group has changed singers since I last saw them, with Jason Olcese now fronting the group. Greg Folsom and Mike Lee swap guitar and bass duties, and Matt “Zippy” Zelenz plays drums. My Hero Zero performed a variety of favorites over their two sets, spanning the ‘70s to present. These uys covered material from Smashmouth, Sublime, Ton Petty, Cheap Trick, Violent Femmes, Dave Matthews Band, Zac Brown Band, Outfield, Counting Crows, Journey, Third Eye Blind, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, Proclaimers and more. All four of these guys could sing, and their harmonies were crisp and tight. They were strong on their instruments, and maintained a tight pace that kept their show moving. Arriving wing-eaters and fans responded well to My Hero Zero’s set, and the group succeeded in heating up the party.

Playing their first Lakemont Park WingOff, My Hero Zero.

Again, My Hero Zero.

Mike Lee of My Hero Zero.

Jason Olcese of My Hero Zero.

Greg Folsom of My Hero Zero.

Again, Mike Lee.

As I took advantage of a short line to enjoy another half dozen hot wings courtesy of the Buccinese Society, Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band kicked off their performance on the main stage. These guys picked up the groove and ran with it, doing a nonstop set of classic rock favorites, original songs and funk-laced grooves. Their vibe was loose and relaxed, as they had fun with their song selection and didn’t shy from improvising along the way. Chris, Mike, Phil and Jacob provided several highlights, including their spin on Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride,” which evolved into a Phish “First Tube” groove; feisty funk workouts on Bill Withers’ “Use Me” and Terence Trent D’arby’s “Wishing Well”; and their unexpected resurrection of Pearl Jam’s “Porch,” a song I’ve not heard a band cover since the mighty Korruption ruled the ‘Toona music scene! The group also did many of their own creations, including “Be,” “Media Controls the World,” “Religion,” “Freedom,” “Shine,” “End” and more. And Chris Vipond and co. topped it off with some spice in the forms of G. Love & Special Sauce grooves and more. It was a slightly different flavor than the WingOff crowds heard in previous weeks, but the group’s strong performance and cool, confident vibe ultimately won the crowd over, and a good number of folks were congregating in front of the stage and soaking it all in by WingOff’s end.

The weather again cooperated, and the third installment of this year’s WingOff, like the first two, was a rousing good time.

Kicking off their WingOff performance, Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Again, Chris and the Stanley Street Band.

Namesake Chris Vipond.

Phil Wagner of Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

The group’s other namesake, Mike Stanley.

Jacob Smith of Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Again, Chris Vipond.

More Chris Vipond.

Again, Mike Stanley.

Again, Phil Wagner.

Once again, Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Yet again, Chris Vipond.

Again, Jacob Smith.

Some fans take in the performance.

Another look at the WingOff crowd.

RAIN MUST FALL/THE ULTRAMAGNETICS @ THE ISLAND, ALTOONA 7/22/10

Following the WingOff, I eventually made my way to The Island to see the double-bill of The Ultramagnetics and Rain Must Fall.

I arrived too late for The Ultramagnetics’ set, but intend to catch these instrumental-geared groove cats in the near future.

Rain Must Fall started into their first of two sets shortly after my arrival. Singer Michael Kensinger, guitarists Jarrett Bickel and Bree Gearhart, bassist Hunter James and drummer Jon Preston mixed original songs with select alternative-geared classics and modern rock. A lot of their new material this night I didn’t recognize; probably a mix of newer originals and more obscure alternative covers. Rain Must Fall did break out versions of Deadeye Dick’s “New Age Girl,” Gin Blossoms’ “Hey Jealousy,” Collective Soul’s “Shine,” No Doubt’s “Spiderwebs,” a ska-driven version of reen Day’s “Good Riddance,” Tom Petty’s “American Girl” and more. The group also did two of their radio “hits,” “Superficial Stain” and “Six Years Later.” Other interesting highlights included both Jarrett and Bree fronting the group; Jarrett singing on Goo Goo Dolls’ “Drive,” and Bree fronting the group on Blink 182’s “Dammit.”

Rain Must Fall’s performance was solid, and their execution tight and together for the most part. Their sound mix was a bit muddy, and the Island’s unusual front room acoustics made things sound a bit cavernous. But the folks who came to see the band enjoyed it, and overall, Rain Must Fall represented well.

Also in the house this night was Altoona’s resident Mick Jagger look- and sound-alike, Skip Stone. This had been the first time I ran into Skip in a while; he told me he still hopes to get the Rolling Stones tribute show going again, once he finds the right mix of musicians who are devoted and committed to the project. In the meantime, Skip has been keeping his Mick voice and chops up by taking part in DJ Skiddy’s weekly Thursday karaoke sessions at The Island.

Rain Must Fall.

Again, Rain Must Fall.

Michael Kensinger of Rain Must Fall.

Hunter James of Rain Must Fall.

Bree Gearhart of Rain Must Fall.

Jarrett Bickel of Rain Must Fall.

Again, Bree Gearhart.
One more time, Rain Must Fall.

Skip Stone is alive and well.

TOMMY WAREHAM & THE INTRIGUES @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 7/23/10

Jazz sounds returned to downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza this night, as State College favorites Tommy Wareham & the Intrigues returned for their second appearance of the summer.

I arrived in time to procure brew tokens and a loaded roast beef sandwich from Mike’s Sports Bar before Tommy Wareham and his cast of players started into their second set before a large Heritage Plaza crowd. Tommy on guitar and vocals, Peter Jogo on bass, Tom Gallagher on sax and a drummer (who I did not recognize) resumed the music with Frank Sinatra’s “Fly Me to the Moon,” and proceeded with a mix of pop, jazz, early and classic rock’n’roll standards. Bobby Darin’s “Mack the Knife,” a lesser-known Steely Dan number, an Allman Brothers-flavored slant on the Monkees’ “Pleasant Valley Sunday” and Bing Crosby’s “The Very Thought of You” continued the mix. The group arrived at the standard “Bye Bye Blackbird,” which continued into Van Morrison’s “Moondance.” Guest Chuck Knepper was invited onstage to sing Ray Charles’ “Georgia on My Mind” and Wilbert Harrison’s “Kansas CIty.” Tommy and the Intrigues honored an audience request for Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock & Roll,” before finishing the set with Frank Sinatra’s “Just a Gigolo.”

After a short intermission, Tommy and the Intrigues returned for the final set, starting it with Wet Willie’s “Keep on Smilin.’” They followed with Tyrone Davis’ “Turn Back the Hands of Time” and Hall & Oates’ “I Can’t Go for That,” before going instrumental with Santana’s “Europa.” The group then embarked in a funk interlude, fusing together KC & the Sunshine Band’s “Get Down Tonight” and “Shake Your Booty.” After a blues number, the group then closed out the night with Buddy Miles’ “Them Changes.”

This was an entertaining, fun show. Tommy Wareham again showed he is a seasoned entertainer who delivered good vocals, guitar skills and personality. His band was tight and talented as well, and made all of their set list sound smooth. Tommy eagerly honored requests, and made a point to perform as many requests as he could get to. Along the way, a few folks got up and danced, including several older couples who enjoyed the older sounds.

Tommy Wareham & the Intrigues provided a wide slate of musical sounds including jazz, and sent much of the large Heritage Plaza crowd away happy.

Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

Tommy Wareham.

Peter Jogo of Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

Tom Gallagher of Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

Again, Tommy Wareham.

Once again, Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

Once again, Tommy Wareham.

Again, Tom Gallagher.

Several people danced to Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

More of Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

Guest Chuck Knepper.

Chuck Knepper and Tommy Wareham.

Chuck Knepper with Tommy Wareham and the Intrigues.

Once again, Chuck Knepper.

Again, Peter Jogo.

Tommy Wareham’s drummer.

Once again, Tom Gallagher on sax.

Yet again, Tommy Wareham.

The two Tom’s, Wareham and Gallagher.

THE HOUSE BAND @ THE OLD CANAL INN, HOLLIDAYSBURG 7/23/10

After logging some time at the radio workplace, I eventually continued with the second leg of my live music adventure this night, heading to Hollidaysburg’s Old Canal Inn to check in with The House Band.

As I arrived, House Band keyboardist, singer and ringleader Mark Rossi and drummer Ed Murvine were joined by Chris Vipond & the Stanley Street Band guitarist Phil Wagner, Pat Kibler on harmonica and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady. They did Bo Diddley/Eric Clapton’s “Before You Accuse Me,” before Dwane Edmiston replaced Phil on guitar to sing lead on the Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” and Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Blue on Black.” Regularly-scheduled House Band guitarist Tom Rhodes returned to the stage as Ed sang lead on Grand Funk Railroad’s “Footstompin’ Music.” The House Band continued with renditions of Steely Dan’s “Pretzel Logic,” Oasis’ “Wonderwall,” Aerosmith’s “Dream On,” and to close the set, an improvised edition of The Kingsmen’s “Louie Louie” with Mark singing politically-geared lyrics.

During the intermission, Rich “Allheart” Edmiston stepped up to the stage to perform a few songs. He freestyled several songs, including his last one, “It Takes a Young Girl to Make an Old Man Smile.”

Soon The House Band returned for their final set of the night. The group again did a wide variety of classic rock, blues and pop. Some set highlights here included the group’s spirited rendition of Blood Sweat & Tears’ “And When I Die,” and Mark’s passionate treatments of Elton John’s “Your Song” and Harry Chapin’s “Taxi.” Mark and Ed did a piano-and-drums rendition of Billy Joel’s “The Ballad of Billy the Kid,” and the group also did the original tunes “Holdin’ On” and “The Addiction Song.”

This was a good time, as The House Band treated the show as a friendly jam session in front of friends. Mark, Ed and Tom were friendly and cordial, and had fun as they transformed each song into their own style and voice. Mark’s keyboard work and arrangements again shined, and he sank passion and purpose into his performance to bring each song to life.

This performance reaffirmed that The House Band is a good time on any given night; as they again provided good music and gave the audience an upbeat, friendly show.

The audience looks on as The House Band performs.

Guest Pat “Kibby” Kibler wails some harmonica. Note the lazer lighting on the back wall…La_zers and EN_er_GY!

Again, “Kibby” and The House Band.

Mark, Ed and Tom.

Tom Rhodes of The House Band.

Mark Rossi of The House Band.

Mark Rossi and Ed Murvine.

Once again, Mark and Ed.

PITTSBURGH BLUES FESTIVAL @ HARTWOOD ACRES, ALLISON PARK (PITTSBURGH) 7/24/10

For several of my Saturdays so far this summer, there has been one standout event that I knew weeks or months in advance I would be attending. Other Saturdays have been more up in the air, forcing me to make tough decisions and choose one event over another. This was one of them. Locally, there was the annual African American Heritage Festival at Penn State Altoona, which usually has some decent entertainment. There was also an all-ages bill at the Masonic Hall, a CD-release show for The Big Time that also featured The Hope Fallacy, On The Run (fresh from their Warped Tour appearance earlier this month), Nick Finochio, Acalasia’s acoustic side project Transparent Things and more. The Bellefonte Jazz Festival was going on this day. Johnstown’s wing party was happening at Greenhouse Park with Threeway entertaining. Gigaroo was happening at the Iselin Ballfield west of Indiana, with a ton of bands playing all day. And then in the Steel City vicinity, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers were at First Niagara Pavilion, Smashing Pumpkins were playing at Mr. Smalls Theatre in Millvale (actually this wasn’t a factor in my decision, I didn’t know about this show until later), and the annual Pittsburgh Blues Festival was happening at Hartwood Acres north of the ‘Burgh, with Eric Burdon & the Animals headlining this night. Where would I go? Who would I see?

I eventually narrowed the choices to either Gigaroo or Pittsburgh Blues Fest. I didn’t finalize the decision until that pivotal moment when I approached the Ebensburg exit off Route 22 west, and decided…not to put my turn signal on to cut in through Ebensburg to Route 422, but go straight. Pittsburgh Blues Festival, here I come!

One of the things that drew me to the Blues Fest was the Pittsburgh Blues All-Stars, which were to feature Norman Nardini, Jimmy Adler, Glenn Pavone and other Pittsburgh blues dignitaries. But the trip to Hartwood Acres took a little longer than I expected, and the All-Stars were closing out their final song just as I was paying my donation at the gate…Damn! (And it was a donation, as proceeds from the Pittsburgh Blues Festival went to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.) Although I missed the Pittsburgh Blues All-Stars, there were still some good groups remaining on the day’s slate, including Eric Burdon & the Animals. So I took my folding chair onto the grounds and found a strategic viewing spot and kicked back for some blues.

It was a hot July day, with temperatures in the 90’s as I arrived. I lucked out, though, as the sun was at my back, and a breeze had kicked up to provide at least a little bit of relief.

Entertainment resumed momentarily, as Blues Festival emcee Ron “Moondog” Esser introduced Nick Curran & the LowLifes. Based in Austin, Texas, Nick Curran’s resume includes stints with rockabilly legend Ronnie Dawson, Wayne Hancock, Jimmy Vaughan and the Fabulous Thunderbirds. He and his band turned up the heat in their own musical way, unleashing a torrid brand of roots-geared rock, blues and rockabilly with a touch of punk vinegar. Singing and playing guitar, Nick joked about the heat, telling the crowd, “We’re from Texas and we’re still hot here!” Nick and his band did numerous songs off their brand new CD, Reform School Girl; including the title song, their version of Etta James’ “Tough Lover,” “Psycho,” “Filthy,” “Baby You Crazy” and more. They also did other songs from their arsenal including “Women and Cadillacs,” the jump swing-flavored “Doctor Velvet,” “Down Boy Down” and more. This band was charged and fiery the whole set, maintaining a brisk tempo and pace. Nick blazed frequently on the guitar, and his keyboard player was rowdy with rolling piano runs throughout the performance, giving several of the group’s songs an early Jerry Lee Lewis-type vibe. When the festival audience demanded an encore, Nick and the LowLifes responded with a rockabilly-flavored instrumental, during which Nick left the stage and paraded out through the audience with guitar in hand!

Nick Curran and the LowLifes.

Nick Curran and his keyboard player.

Nick jams with his rhythm section.

After removing his shirt in the 90-degree-plus heat, Nick Curran.

Again, Nick Curran.

Nick Curran and the LowLifes on the big Pittsburgh Blues Festival mainstage.

Nick brings his game out into the festival crowd.

Nick, rocking with the audience.

One more time, Nick Curran, bringing the party to the people.

Before the next performers on the festival’s second stage, I ventured up the vendors’ row, and discovered when I came upon the Moondogs tent that Norman Nardini was hosting a blues jam session after-party at Moondogs after the festival. Maybe I wouldn’t miss Norman and the Pittsburgh Blues All Stars after all...

The next performers on the second stage were Sue Foley and Peter Karp and their band. This group presented an interesting slant to blues and songwriting in general. Peter and Sue developed their songs from correspondence the two shared through letters over a year period. Their songs were actually extensions of those conversations and communications; lyrically depicting the apprehensions, joys, fears and conflicts that arose through the course of their developing musical association and relationship. Alternating lead singing duties, Peter played guitar, piano and harmonica while Sue played guitar. They were backed by bassist Niles Terrat and drummer Mike Catapano. Sue and Peter gave insight into each song and its role in the correspondence exchange. Many of the songs they performed were from their CD He Said She Said; and included “Dear Girl,” “Wait,” “Valentine’s Day,” “Scared,” “Mm Hmm” (which has earned some radio airplay), the feisty “Rules of Engagement,” “So Far So Fast” and “Baby Don’t Go.” Besides transforming the correspondence into their songs’ lyrics, Peter and Sue also communicated and corresponded onstage through their instruments, playing off one another, blending, and counterpointing against each other for interesting bluesy displays. Bottom line, a truly unique group, style and sound.

Peter Karp, Sue Foley and their band.

Peter Karp.

Again, Peter, Sue and their band.

Another shot of Peter, Sue and the band.

Peter and Sue, playing off one another.

Again, Peter Karp.

Sue Foley.

After shedding her shades, Sue Foley.

One more time, Sue Foley.

I made my way back down the hill to the main stage to see Eric Burdon & the Animals. I had seen some dark clouds on the horizon to the north during Sue Foley’s and Peter Karp’s performance, but the horizon cleared and I thought the festival would be in the clear weather-wise the rest of the way. Not so fast...

Soon, show emcee Ron “Moondog” Esser of Moondogs and the Blues Society of Western PA introduced a special guest to introduce Eric Burdon: Famed Pittsburgh Penguins play-by-play announcer Mike Lange. Mike related his own memories of hearing the Animals and their hits in the ‘60s, and introduced the group. The Animals took the stage and led off with one of those hits, “When I Was Young.” They followed with two more of their biggest its, “Don’t Bring Me Down” and “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood.” Burdon and the Animals then ventured away from the obvious hits to focus more on blues and blues-geared remakes; including John Lennon’s “I Don’t Want to Be a Soldier” and Ray Charles “I Believe to My Soul.”

Along the way, I noted a new cluster of dark clouds along the northern horizon; and unlike the storm clouds earlier, these ones grew and expanded around the western horizon as well, and the breeze started picking up. This storm was going to hit us. I began to gather up my stuff in anticipation of making a hasty exit from the festival to my car if the situation warranted; and I noticed other people doing likewise. When a sharp burst of wind gusted through the concert grounds, I decided not to wait any longer, and made the retreat toward the entrance gate and out to my car. Although growing fainter in the increasing distance, I could still hear Eric Burdon & the Animals start into their next song, John Lee Hooker’s “Boom Boom,” as I arrived at my car and loaded my gear into the back. Just as I sat down behind the wheel, the skies unleashed, and Mother Nature answered Burdon’s “Boom Boom” with boom-boom of her own, as wind-driven rain began pouring down on the concert grounds, accompanied by some lightning and thunder. The music on the stage went silent, as the blowing rain made it impossible to continue. Show over. Eric Burdon would not get to perform “House of the Rising Sun,” and he didn’t even have time to send “We Gotta Get Out of This Place” to all of the festival-goers making their ways to the exits.

What I heard of the Animals sounded good. Eric Burdon still largely has the voice; stern and gritty. His backing band was strong and supported him well. It’s too bad Mother Nature decided to cut the headliner short; given Burdon’s age (68), who knows if we will have another chance to see this legend perform in this part of the world?

Introducing Eric Burdon and the Animals, the voice of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Mike Lange.

Eric Burdon and the Animals.

Terry Wilson and Eric Burdon.

Again, Terry and Eric.

More of Terry and Eric.

Shortly before the rains arrived, the audience takes in Eric Burdon and the Animals.

Again, Eric Burdon.

Once again, Terry Wilson and Eric Burdon.

More of Eric Burdon.

Brannen Temple and Billy Watts of the Animals.

Red Young, Terry Wilson and Eric Burdon.

BLUES FESTIVAL AFTER-PARTY w/NORMAN NARDINI @ MOONDOGS, BLAWNOX 7/24/10

With Mother Nature bringing the Pittsburgh Blues Festival to an abrupt close, I decided to head to Moondogs in nearby Blawnox to check out the Norman Nardini-hosted Blues Festival after-party and jam session.

As it turned out, easier said than done. I was told at the Moondogs tent that the venue was about 20 minutes away. I imagine this was true if you were local and knew the roads and shortcuts to get there. Unfortunately for me, I was not. I had driven to Moondogs once before several years ago when Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys were in the Pittsburgh Blues Challenge, but I got there from the Turnpike. I knew it was off of Route 28, so I set off south on Route 8 to Route 28. But I took the wrong exit onto Route 28 and ended up heading toward downtown Pittsburgh. I took the next exit off after realizing my error, and wound up doing a grand tour of northern Pittsburgh, fumbling my way through streets in Millvale (I did pass Mr. Small’s Theatre, learning that Smashing Pumpkins were playing a sold-out concert there that night), North Hills, Saxonburg and other neighborhoods. I used my sense of direction to get back to Route 8, and tried again. This time, I took the correct exit onto Route 28, but turned the wrong direction onto Freeport Road and again ventured away from Blawnox. Got back on Route 8 and tried again, hopeful that the third try would be the charm. Thanks to the helpful lady attendant at the Blawnox Citgo station, it was. After an hour grand tour of northern Pittsburgh, I arrived at Moondogs. At least now I know how to get there for future reference! (I seriously need GPS…Early Christmas gift suggestion if anyone is buying…)

I soon was glad I persevered, as a packed Moondogs was enjoying some extraordinary blues jams from Norman and a number of Pittsburgh music luminaries. I found a vacant spot along the wall, dug in and enjoyed! As I entered, Norman on guitar, Harry Bottoms on bass and Brice Foster on drums (Norman’s current drummer) were jamming with guitarist Frank Giove, with Bob “Bubs” McKeag and The Nighthawks’ Mark Stutso on vocals; on a rendition of Jimmy Reed’s “You Got Me Running.” Norman and Mark stepped off the stage and the remaining musicians performed B.B. King’s “Why I Sing the Blues.” Mark then returned to sing a tune off his solo album, “Three Times Your Fool.” Jimmy Adler then stepped up to join in the fun, first playing guitar alongside Norman on vocals, with Harry on bass and Mark on drums on a number (“Walking to My Baby?”). Jimmy on guitar and vocals, Harry, Mark and Erie harmonica man Ron Yarosz then performed “I Only Have Eyes for You” and Robert Johnson’s “Stop Breakin’ Down Blues,” before doing one from Jimmy’s Swing It Around CD, “Hambone.” At this point, a change in musicians, as Mark stayed behind the kit, joined by a guitarist named Brian and former Groove Junkies bass man Mark “Poppy” Popavich; they proceeded to do a scorching rendition of Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House,” with Brian soloing behind his back. Another drummer, Pete Oddo, took over behind the kit as the music continued with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Cold Shot.” Norman then rejoined the festivities and directed the spotlight to Pete as he, Pete and “Poppy” kicked out “Wipe Out” – Pete was clobbering those skins! Next, the combination of Frank Giove, Harry Bottoms and Brice Foster backed up singer Katie Simone on Etta James’ “I’d Rather Go Blind” and Elmore James’ “Talk to Me Baby” – serving notice to me that Katie has a helluva voice! Norman and his band plus Ron Yarosz on harmonica then did one of Norman’s tunes, “Little Things,” and followed with a new Norman number, the country/folk-flavored “I’m Coming Home.” This line-up did another song and another new Norman number, “The Tree.” Norman, Harry and Brice then did “Barefootin,’” highlighted by an audience member stepping up to the stage and drinking beer out of his sneaker! Just when it appeared things might be starting to wind down for the night, Nick Curran and the LowLifes (who had been there throughout the night) consulted with Norman, and joined him onstage to do a few numbers; including Rufus Thomas’ “Walkin’ the Dog,” “This Ole Train” and a boisterous rendition of Elvis’ “Hound Dog” to close the night. To quote Norman, he and the Lowlifes were “slappin’ the meat on the table!”

This was exactly what I hoped it would be, a supreme blues jam featuring lots of Pittsburgh talent along with some Blues Festival performers. The musicianship and euphoric vibe rode at a constant high through it all, peppered along the way with that legendary Norman Nardini personality and wit. Norman had me howling in laughter several times along the way; referring to how "Yinzers" (Pittsburghers) in Erie are called “Mupears” (as in “I’m up here,” what they say when they happen to be in Erie), and calling somebody (I believe Ron “Moondog” Esser) a “nickel rocket pimp!”

Fortunately, it did not take me nearly as long to make my way back to the Pennsylvania Turnpike for the journey back home. And after the adrenalin rush that this blues jam provided, I had no problem staying awake for the drive back home to the ‘Toona!

Jamming at Moondogs: Ron Yarosz, Jimmy Adler, Mark Stutso and Harry Bottoms.

Ron Yarosz and Jimmy Adler.

A guitarist named Brian, Mark Stutso and Mark “Poppy” Popavich.

Brian jams behind his back.

More hot blues jams with Frank Giove, Katie Simone, Brice Foster and Harry Bottoms.

Norman Nardini and his bandmates, Brice Foster and Harry Bottoms.

Jam emcee and the ‘Manful Handful,’ Norman Nardini.

Norman and Ron Yarosz.

Norman jams with Nick Curran and the LowLifes.

Again, Norman with Nick Curran and the LowLifes.

Nick Curran.

Once again, Norman with Nick and the LowLifes.

The jamming fun continues.

Once again, Norman Nardini.

More fun with Norman, Nick and the LowLifes.

One more time, Norman Nardini with Nick Curran and the LowLifes.

GANISTER @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/25/10

After putting in a late night doing the “Homegrown Rocker” thing, I made my way to Pellegrine’s for the weekend’s final chapter, with music supplied by Ganister.

Sadly, Pellegrine’s was again only sparsely populated as I arrived prior to Ganister’s last set of the night. The era of 200 and 300 people on a Sunday night at this venue is quickly fading further and further into the past.

Ganister did what they could to entertain the few folks that did attend. Singer Ken Gray, guitarists Rob Sottile and Eric Smith, bassist Dan Lukens and drummer Randy Wilson played ‘90s and modern rock favorites from Theory Of A Deadman, Buckcherry, Alice In Chains, Social Distortion, Puddle Of Mudd and more. Randy sang lead on AC/DC’s “Back in Black” and Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy.”

Ganister’s performance was strong as usual. Pellegrine’s attendance was low, unfortunately as usual given the past several months. Let’s remedy this people, and start supporting bands on Sunday nights again!

A lone dancer parties down with Ganister.

Rob Sottile of Ganister.

One more time, Ganister and a dancer.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: