· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/13/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 03, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/13/10

MARK DEROSE @ SLEP CENTER, PENN STATE ALTOONA 9/8/10

York-based singer, songwriter and guitarist Mark DeRose paid a visit to the ‘Toona this day to play a free lunchtime show at Penn State Altoona’s Slep Center. I decided to stop by and catch at least part of his performance en route to my afternoon teaching duties.

During his hour-long set, Mark played a selection of pop-flavored original songs and select covers. Mark played songs from his latest 4-song EP such as “Breathing Life,” plus newer tunes such as “Get Up, Get Out” and the title to his next CD, Carolina Smile. He also did renditions of Lyle Lovett’s “If I Had a Boat,” Simon & Garfunkel’s “Cecilia,” Counting Crows’ “Einstein on the Beach” and more. Mark displayed a clear voice and definite knack for ear-candy hooks. His tunes, simply put, connected.

Since my first class was downtown, I had to leave the performance early so I could get to the classroom and set up on time.

This show was one of a series of appearances Mark did at regional colleges last month; from here, he traveled to Penn State’s New Kensington campus to do an evening show.

Mark DeRose.

Performing without his band this day, Mark DeRose.

One more time, Mark DeRose.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/8/10

It seems that each week of Pellegrine’s weekly Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night brings at least one new participant. And that was the case again this week!

As I arrived, Pelly’s Jam Night newbie Trace Baker was up front with her acoustic guitar and performing, doing Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.” Her newbie bandmate Pete Myers then joined Trace, and they performed several songs together under their current duet monicker Rare Soul; performing versions of “Folson Prison Blues,” John Prine’s “Angel from Montgomery,” Shocking Blue’s “Venus” and Tom Petty/Stevie Nicks’ “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around.”

Harmonica Dave then took the stage to do a few tunes, including some original harp-blowing exercises and “Scarborough Fair.”

The jam night portion of the evening then kicked into gear, with a wide assortment of musicians joining forces to make the music happen. Initially, John Buterbaugh and Big Jim on guitars, Jamie Shumac on vocals, Bob Watters on drums, Larry Smelley on bass and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady got loose on the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider.” A guest singer named Linda, despite being a bit under the weather, did her best singing attempt on Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me with Your Best Shot.” More guests then took part, including Brian Weston on vocals, Jeff Woodring on guitar and vocals, JP the bongo- and kazoo-playing Professor, and Kira Burley and “Bad Daze Rob” Carolus on vocals. An appreciative crowd cheered the musicians and stuck around to the end of the night, good times!

Making their Pellegrine’s Jam Night debut, Rare Soul.

This week’s Jam Night was graced with some dance floor activity.

Pete Myers and Trace Baker – Rare Soul – join in tonight’s Jam Night festivities.

Guest singer Linda tries her hand during Jam Night.

Near night’s end, Bad Daze Rob takes the lead mic.

SLACKER THEORY/THIS CALLING/4 DAYS DIRTY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 9/9/10

Twenty-five years ago, live music started happening at Aldo’s in Juniata. In the early days, Aldo’s was just the current restaurant dining room, and bands played in the corner by the front door. A few years later, the venue expanded to the second middle room, and not long after that, the current three-room venue we know as Aldo’s today. A lot of bands have passed through Aldo’s between then and now, and Aldo’s marked the 25-year anniversary with four nights of live music, with 15 different bands playing over that four-night span.

Three of the nights featured reunions from popular area bands, and this was the second of the four nights. The featured reunion this night would be popular Altoona modern rockers 4 Days Dirty, following performances from the two bands that rose from their ruins, Slacker Theory and This Calling.

Slacker Theory was on stage as I first arrived. Singer and 4 Days Dirty alumnus Steve Danfelt, guitarist Dalton McDonald, bassist Ryan George and drummer Randy Wilson were in the midst of their set of hard modern rock, metal and originals. They did the Metallica double-shot of “Seek and Destroy” and “Sad But True” after I arrived, and later did the original songs “Wasted” and “Shake.”

Slacker Theory.

Again, Slacker Theory.

Steve Danfelt of Slacker Theory.

Next was This Calling, featuring the three other alumni of 4 Days Dirty. Dirty alumni Joe Neary on lead voice and guitar, bassist Paul Greiner and drummer Justin Fair, plus guitarist Chris Silva, unleashed their brand of terse modern-flavored metal and hardcore-laced metal. The group did many of their original songs, including “My Turning Point,” “The Day I Died,” “This Calling,” the slower “1,000 Words” and the new “Creation.” Steve Danfelt then joined the group for a song carried over from the 4 Days Dirty days, “Let Me Breathe,” and continued with “Killbox.” This Calling completed the set with “Taste of Victory,” the title track to their debut CD Witness The Fall and a torrid spin on Iron Maiden’s “Hallowed Be Thy Name” to finish the set.

This Calling.

Joe Neary of This Calling.

Chris Silva of This Calling.

Once again, This Calling.

With Steve Danfelt singing with them, This Calling.

Again, Steve and This Calling.

More of This Calling.

Justin Fair of This Calling.

The 4 Days Dirty reunion then capped the night. The Dirty roster of singers/guitarists Steve Danfelt and Joe Neary, bassist Paul Greiner and drummer Justin Fair fired up their heavy modern rocking sound, reviving numerous original numbers and memories along the way. The group did such original rockers as “Wait,” “Downtime,” “Blindside,” “Disguise,” and their heat-packing assault “Shot’Gun,” complete with their best rifle-firing, Starsky & Hutch poses. They also broke out a Depeche Mode cover, doing “Enjoy the Silence.” It didn’t take long for this group to get back into their groove, or for their fans to get up front and cheer the reunion on.

Reuniting at Aldo’s this night, 4 Days Dirty.

Steve Danfelt of 4 Days Dirty.

Steve Danfelt and Joe Neary of 4 Days Dirty.

Again, Steve Danfelt.

4 Days Dirty takes up gun positions for “Shot’Gun.”

More “Shot’Gun”-ing with 4 Days Dirty.

A good-sized crowd was in the house for the duration of the night, and the mood was festive to mark Aldo’s quarter-century of live music.

DICK SHACK POSSE/LOCKED INSIDE/SUICIDE SWITCH/CHAPTER 5/THE MARAUDERS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 9/10/10

The third night of Aldo’s 25th anniversary weekend was probably the most anticipated of the four nights, as The Marauders would return from an 18-month hiatus.

Indeed this night was anticipated, evidenced by the huge crowd already in the house as I arrived. This was Aldo’s biggest crowd since the Jeff Wallack Tribute Show in April, and possibly the biggest crowd since the early ‘90s! Locked Inside was just finishing their set as I arrived, following the opening set by Dick Shack Posse. After a short changeover intermission, Suicide Switch staged their own reunion set, performing four songs.

With the mass of humanity in the house, I could hardly get close to the bar to procure brews, let alone try to step toward the front of the stage. But I gradually made progress in my advance to the stage, and arrived in time to witness the next band, Chapter 5. With drummer Bill Mort sidelined with back issues, Jay Mosey filled in behind the kit as Chapter 5 drilled original metal- and hardcore-fueled punk. The group did several of their best-known assaults like “Inside Out,” “Buried,” “Hollow Song” (with Suicide Switch frontman Cheeze on vocals), “Compromised,” “Self-Inflicted” and more. Chapter 5 did a solid job, and kept things charging along at a brisk clip that never let up.

Chapter 5.

Tim Mort and Tom Noel of Chapter 5.

Tom Noel of Chapter 5.

Tim Mort of Chapter 5.

Once again, Chapter 5.

More Chapter 5.

Suicide Switch frontman Cheeze chimes in with Tom Noel of Chapter 5.

The mass of humanity in front of the stage packed tighter and tighter during the intermission in advance of The Marauders’ return. Indeed these guys were missed! Singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, upright bass player Chris Lawson and drummer Abe Weber soon stepped on the stage to revive their brand of punk-infused roots-flavored rock and rockabilly, and quickly fired the crowd up to a feverish pitch with high-octane song favorites like “Oh My My,” “Kill Pop Radio,” “She Put A Curse on Me” and more. The crowd quickly became a dancing and grooving mass as the group continued with songs like “My Revolver,” the Bo Diddley-ish “Rhythm Fix,” “Dead of Night,” “Alibi” and more. The Marauders broke out a couple of covers, including the Misfits’ “Astrozombies,” and for the first encore, the Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town.” When the huge Aldo’s crowd demanded more, the group welcomed fans on stage to join them for the closing song, “Roadkill.” The Marauders pretty much picked up where they last left off, and showed few obvious signs of rust as they charged through their numbers. Chris frequently joked and bantered with the crowd between songs as he slapped around his big upright, and Abe revived his Myron Cope impersonation at one point. The group also took a moment to honor the man who made this venue possible, Aldo himself.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Returning after an 18-month layoff, The Marauders.

Again, The Marauders.

Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Again, Chris Lawson.

Again, Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

More of The Marauders.

Once again, Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

More of Chris Lawson.

Yet again, Ben Dumm.

Chris Lawson and the Marauders salute Aldo.

The Marauders rock a packed house.

Abe Weber of The Marauders.

Again, Abe Weber.

Serving millions from atop Chris Lawson’s upright bass, Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Once again, Abe Weber.

Some fans join Chris Lawson and The Marauders onstage.

More onstage craziness with Chris Lawson and the fans.

Yet more of Chris Lawson.

More Abe Weber.

The Marauders and the crowd.

Thumpin’ that bass, Chris Lawson.

Rowdy Marauders fans.

This was one jam-packed, wild and fun party! The combination of The Marauders’ return and Aldo’s 25th anniversary turned this into one of the biggest nights in this venue in a while. And with The Marauders planning to reconvene here every so often, it’s likely more nights like this will be in the Aldo’s forecast!

THE UNAUTHORIZED ROLLING STONES/WITHOUT ZERB @ RAILROADERS MUSEUM, ALTOONA 9/11/10

Although I would return to Aldo’s for the final night of the 25th anniversary celebration later on, I first headed to Altoona’s Railroaders’ Museum, which was capping their 2010 Alive @ Five Summer Concert Series this evening with a Rolling Stones tribute act, The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

I arrived shortly into the set of openers Without Zerb, who warmed up the rail yard crowd with driving alternative, rock and pop favorites. Singer/group namesake Bryan “Zerb” Zerbee, guitarists P.J. Kelly and Jim Mincin, bassist Brian Mannarino and drummer Steve Bidoli mixed up rocking favorites from the ‘70s to present, generating a loose and fun mood along the way. Without Zerb did everything from Kenny Loggins’ “Footloose” to Rancid’s “Ruby Soho,” to the Social Distortion spin on Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire” to Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” and more. And since it was the ninth anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks, Zerb halted the music for a moment of silence to remember, before the group launched into “Rockin’ in the Free World.”

Kicking off the show, Without Zerb.

Bryan “Zerb” Zerbee of Without Zerb.

Jim Mincin of Without Zerb.

P.J. Kelly of Without Zerb.

Steve Bidoli of Without Zerb.

Again, Jim Mincin.

Again, Without Zerb.

Again, Zerb.

This youngster took a nap in front of the stage.

After the intermission, the Unauthorized Rolling Stones from San Francisco celebrated and emulated the Rolling Stones with a wide range of the group’s best-known hits. This tribute’s “Glimmer Twins,” Rudy Colombini as “Mick” and Dave Garcia as “Keith,” steadily escalated the festive mood throughout the show; leading the group and firing up fans with such Stones canons as “Jumping Jack Flash,” “Bitch,” “Gimme Shelter,” “It’s Only Rock’n’Roll (But I Like It),” “Paint It Black,” “Monkey Man,” “Let It Bleed,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Start Me Up,” “Sympathy for the Devil” and many more. This group captured the vibe of the real Stones well, especially on their authentic-sounding take on “Midnight Rambler.” They also weren’t afraid to dig a little deeper for a few Stones anthems, doing “Live With Me,” “Dead Flowers” and “Happy.” Those who wanted satisfaction eventually got it by night’s end, when The Unauthorized Rolling Stones finished with “Satisfaction.”

At first, I wasn’t impressed with this tribute, but their performance grew stronger as they went, and Rudy and Dave hit their strides as the Glimmer Twins, turning the crowd and me into believers before all was said and done. No; it wasn’t the real thing, but for Altoona, Pennsylvania on a late summer Saturday night, this worked.

The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Again, The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Rudy Colombini – “Mick” – of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Dave Garcia – “Keith” – of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Jeff Irving of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

The “Glimmer Twins” of the Unauthorized Rolling Stones, Rudy and Dave.

Mark Banning of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Kenny Crampton of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Again, Rudy Colombini of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Again, Jeff Irving of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Looking a little healthier than the real thing, Dave “Keith” Garcia of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Again, Rudy and Dave of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Rudy Colombini strums acoustic.

Jeff Irving and Kenny Crampton of The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Again, The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Again, Rudy Colombini.

Rudy and Dave.

Once again, The Unauthorized Rolling Stones’ “Glimmer Twins.”

Again, Dave Garcia.

More Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Rudy rallies the fans.

Once again, The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

Taking their curtain call, The Unauthorized Rolling Stones.

And based on the strong crowd turnout for this summer’s concert series, here’s hoping Alive @ Five will be back again next summer.

SAUCEMONSTER/I-ENEMY/WITHOUT ZERB @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 9/11/10

After the Railroaders Museum concert finished, I was off to Aldo’s once again for the final night of the venue’s 25th anniversary celebration. Yet another popular area band was reuniting on the stage this night, as Saucemonster was getting together for one last time.

I had thought that Saucemonster would headline this show, but Saucemonster’s reunion set kicked off the festivities instead; and I was glad I got here when I did, or I would have missed it! Singer Floyd Hunter, guitarist Chris Silva, bassist Greg Hatch and drummer Randy Sciarrillo donned facepaints and crunched down on many of the ‘80s and ‘90s favorites they did in their heyday on local stages; from Men At Work, Dead Or Alive, Tool and more. At one point, Randy and Floyd swapped positions, with Floyd taking over the drum helm and Randy singing lead on Tool’s “Sober.” Late in the set, This Calling’s Joe Neary, a musician influenced by Saucemonster during his teen years, stepped on the stage and played guitar as Spike sang lead on White Zombie’s “Thunder Kiss ’65,” and remained onstage for Saucemonster’s finale rendition of Pantera’s “Walk.” Saucemonster did a decent job on their set despite the time away from each other on the stage, and the Aldo’s audience cheered their appreciation.

Saucemonster reunites for one last time.

Floyd Hunter and Chris Silva of Saucemonster.

Floyd Hunter.

Again, Saucemonster.

Greg Hatch of Saucemonster.

Drummer Randy Sciarrillo steps out to sing for Saucemonster.

Greg Hatch and Randy Sciarrillo of Saucemonster.

Chris Silva takes his turn singing lead.

Saucemonster’s Chris Silva with guest Joe Neary.

Once again, Saucemonster.

Floyd Hunter and Joe Neary.

Bi-partisan brawlers on the pages of Rockpage but getting along in the real world, Hawk and f.sciarrillo.

I-Enemy next took the stage, and powered things forward with their set of bristling modern rock and metal. Singer Ryan Dibert, guitarists Rich Johnson and Jody Earnest, bassist Jim Stephanic and drummer Dave Russell crunched out with tunes from Slipknot, Korn, Disturbed and more. Before launching into Slipknot’s “Psychosocial,” the group paused with a moment of silence to remember 9/11. I-Enemy’s performance was focused, passionate and strong, and the band went for the jugular from the first song without leaving up. This set again showed that this edition of I-Enemy has arrived full force, and is a force to continue to be reckoned with.

I-Enemy rocks Aldo’s 25th anniversary celebration.

Again, I-Enemy.

Ryan Dibert and Jim Stephanic of I-Enemy.

Ryan Dibert.

Jim Stephanic.

Rich Johnson of I-Enemy.

Again, I-Enemy.

More I-Enemy.

Once again, Ryan Dibert.

Just a few hours after their Railroaders Museum performance, Without Zerb closed Aldo’s celebration. The group opened their Aldo’s set with the same song they closed their Railroaders performance with, Nirvana’s “Breed,” and continued with more hard-rocking fare from the ‘70s to present. This time, the group did such tunes as Bad Religion’s “21st Century (Digital Boy),” Green Day’s “She” and “Brain Stew,” Nirvana’s “Rape Me,” and for their finale, Jane’s Addiction’s “Mountain Song.” They also included Rancid’s “Ruby Soho,” Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” and Johnny Cash’s “Ring Of Fire,” which I also heard from them earlier in the evening across town.

Without Zerb.

Bryan “Zerb” Zerbee of Without Zerb.

P.J. Kelly of Without Zerb.

Jim Mincin of Without Zerb.

Again, Without Zerb.

Steve Bidoli of Without Zerb.

Again, Zerb of Without Zerb.

One more time, Without Zerb.

Aldo’s 25th anniversary celebration provided good times throughout this week and weekend. I thank Aldo for keeping this venue going, and look forward to experiencing many more shows here in the years to come.

RARE SOUL @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/12/10

After completing my “Homegrown Rocker” duties at the radio station this night, I finished up the weekend at Pellegrine’s, where new area acoustic duo Rare Soul was performing.

With a new and unknown band, I was disappointed but not surprised to find sparse attendance once again at Pelly’s this night. But singer Trace Baker and guitarist/singer Pete Myers made the best of it, and performed their variety of rock, pop, blues and country hits and favorites. Trace had invited me to bring along my bongos this night, so I got to sit in on a few numbers along the way such as Santana’s “Evil Ways” and “Oye Como Va.” Rare Soul also offered up tunes from Lynyrd Skynyrd, K.T. Tunstall, Beatles, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Gretchen Wilson, Lady GaGa and more.

As expected, Trace’s voice was in fine form, displaying ample range, soul and power. She and Pete harmonized well, and were on the same page through most of the show. There were a few slightly rough moments along the way, and I actually thought this pair sounded better without the drum machine accompaniment, which seemed to throw them off a few times.

Not that it mattered all that much this night, as there was minimal crowd in the house to hear Rare Soul anyway. This night was what it was, yet another slow night at this venue.

Pete Myers and Trace Baker of Rare Soul.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: