· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/4/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Dec 20, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/4/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/27/10

Adam D and Jess P again provided the musical soundtrack to Pellegrine’s weekly Monday wing feast.

Jess’ cousin, Eric, was helping out on guitar in the early going as I first arrived, sitting in on Jess’ rendition of J. Frank Wilson/Pearl Jam’s “Last Kiss.” Again Adam and Jess swapped singing duties through the night, performing their respective song repertoires. A few of the more noteworthy Adam moments included his renditions of Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Breaking the Girl,” John Mayer’s “Gravity,” Temple Of The Dog’s “Hunger Strike” and Boomtown Rats’ “I Don’t Like Mondays.” Jess introduced a few different tunes; doing Ringo Starr’s “No No Song,” Jimmy Buffett’s “Son of a Son of a Sailor,” Starland Vocal Band’s “Afternoon Delight” and Lieber & Stoller’s “Love Potion Number Nine.” And Gamber went wild again with his regularly-scheduled death metal spin on Looking Glass’ “Brandy.”

Again, the end result was wings, music, and good times.

HARD FREIGHT COFFEEHOUSE @ MISCIAGNA BUILDING, PENN STATE ALTOONA 9/28/10

Hard Freight is Penn State Altoona’s literary and visual arts journal, and is published once each semester. The deadline for materials to be submitted to the publication is celebrated with a coffeehouse event; where contributors, other students and faculty members can perform spoken word compositions and music. This night, the Hard Freight Coffeehouse took place in the Titelman Study lobby area of the campus’ Misciagna building. After completing my scheduled office hours, I stopped in to check it out.

A number of different students stepped to the microphone to recite their written pieces, ranging from short stories to poetry. The most memorable spoken word pieces I heard this night were from a pair of students doing their literary dissertations on butter; one with a pro viewpoint, the other with a rebuttal. One of my former news writing students offered a brief essay on Penn State quarterback Rob Bolden.

Several student musicians performed as well; including Michael Tejeira on guitar, singing an original song called “Praising Devils,” offering a style reminiscent of Perry Farrell. Michael Turner did an untitled original number on piano. An acoustic duo, Alex & Eric, performed both an original song and a version of Dave Matthews’ “Tripping Billies.” And another acoustic performer, John Gallagher, did a Jack Johnson number.

It’s always refreshing to see young and upcoming artists display their talents, and this edition of the Hard Freight Coffeehouse provided a number of students the chance to expose their talents in front of an appreciative audience.

BIG HEAD TODD & THE MONSTERS/JASON McINTYRE & THE CONTRA BAND @ STATE THEATRE, STATE COLLEGE 9/29/10

State College’s State Theatre was my initial destination this night, as Big Head Todd & the Monsters were returning to Happy Valley to perform. I have been a fan of this band since their rise to prominence in the ‘90s, and thoroughly enjoyed their show at Crowbar several years ago.

Opening the concert was The Rustlanders’ Jason McIntyre with his new Americana music side project, eventually christened onstage as The Contra Band. Playing guitar and singing, Jason was flanked by Andy Tolins on dobro, Kate Twoey on vocals, Daryl Branford on drums, Dan Collins on fiddle, The Reverend James Horton and John “JK” Kennedy. This wealth of talent quickly warmed up the house with inspired musicianship and rural-flavored sounds. I didn’t catch song titles, except for one of Jason’s Rustlanders compositions, “Beginning to Show Through.” But the performances were stellar and inspired, with all components blending their talents into a full-sounding rural-flavored musical tapestry that was well appreciated by the audience.

After the intermission, Big Head Todd & the Monsters then performed a wide-ranging set of rock. This group has expanded their scope since that Crowbar show a few years ago; this night infusing blues, Americana, reggae and R&B tones into their mix. Group ringleader Todd Park Mohr again displayed a hearty voice and clean, vigorous guitar solo work; flanked by the strong support cast of keyboardist/steel guitarist Jeremy Lawton, bassist Rob Squires and drummer Brian Nevin.

Big Head Todd & the Monsters demonstrated their versatility with several songs from their latest CD, Rocksteady; such as their set-opening blues-rocking version of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Smokestack Lightnin,’” the reggae-toned “Mohammed Ali,” the softer-toned “Beautiful” and the title song “Rocksteady.” They also did their better-known hits such as “Bittersweet” and “Broken Hearted Savior”; plus a number of their other tunes such as the ballad “Magdelina,” “Turn the Light Out,” “Secret Mission,” “Under a Silvery Moon” and more. The group also tapped blues roots once again with their version of John Lee Hooker’s “Boom Boom.” The audience’s cheers grew louder as the set progressed, and a few folks even stood and grooved in their seats. The audience quickly demanded an encore at the end of the performance, and Big Head Todd & the Monsters responded in rousing fashion with their fusion of the Rolling Stones’ “Beast of Burden” into their rocking hit “Circle.”

This turned out to be another great show, and renewed my interest in Big Head Todd & the Monsters. This is a band that deserved a lengthier stretch of the limelight than they received in the ‘90s; they have continued to create an impressive body of work in the years since. This night provided that reminder to everyone in the house.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

Todd Park Mohr of Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

Again, Todd Park Mohr.

Again, Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

Once again, Todd Park Mohr.

One more time, Todd Park Mohr.

THE NIGHTCRAWLERS @ PHYRST, STATE COLLEGE 9/29/10

One of the most welcome returns to area stages this year has been the return of The Nightcrawlers. After a 19-month hiatus, the group is back with a new roster. Joining founding singer/guitarist Noah Figlin, drummer Steve Arnold and bassist Peter Jogo are guitarist/singer/sax man Domenick Swentosky and keyboardist Erek Zapusta. After the Big Head Todd & the Monsters concert at the State Theatre concluded, I headed to the Phyrst, where The Nightcrawlers are performing during Wednesdays this fall.

The group was just finishing their first set as I arrived, and I caught the group’s rendition of The Police’s “Roxanne” and the Domenick-fronted version of Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Otherside.”

After returning from their intermission, the new Nightcrawlers tackled a wide variety of styles and sounds over their remaining two sets; fusing rock, funk, blues, jazz, Americana and worldbeat into a colorful stew. The group performed such diverse selections as Tom Petty’s new “I Should Have Known,” “Learning to Fly” and “I Won’t Back Down,” Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” Zac Brown Band’s “Chicken Fried,” Bob Marley’s “So Much Trouble in the World,” Led Zeppelin’s “Ramble On,” The Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” the Pete-fronted take on Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and more. The Nightcrawlers didn’t forget their original song arsenal, either; doing previous original song favorites like “Desert Sun,” “Lover’s Test” and their showstopper “African Echo,” with Domenick’s saxophone solo replacing former member Aeb Byrne’s flute display.

As before, The Nightcrawlers’ musicianship remains high. Noah’s spirited howl and guitar displays are as stunning as before; and Domenick adds depth to the sound with his second lead voice, guitar, sax and even bursts of harmonica. This new edition of The Nightcrawlers has only been playing out for a few weeks; but the future looks bright as this line-up continues to gel and their chemistry further develops.

According to Noah, new Nightcrawlers original songs are coming soon, and the group hopes to again expand their show to stages across the state in the New Year.

The new Nightcrawlers.

Again, the Nightcrawlers.

Noah Figlin of the Nightcrawlers.

Again, Noah Figlin.

One of the new Nightcrawlers, Domenick Swentosky.

Noah Figlin and Erek Zapusta of Nightcrawlers.

Showing his skills on sax, Domenick Swentosky.

Domenick and Noah of the Nightcrawlers.

Again, the new Nightcrawlers.

Steve Arnold of the Nightcrawlers.

One more time, the Nightcrawlers.

TOMORROWLAND @ VARSITY CAFÉ, ALTOONA 9/30/10

In case you didn’t know it, Altoona does have a hookah lounge, and it features live music. The Varsity Café at the Ivyside Plaza near Penn State Altoona is a hookah facility, and frequently features live music, especially from the Penn State Altoona community. Young up-and-comers Tomorrowland have been playing weekly on Thursday nights, and this night I went to check out the band and the venue.

Tomorrowland features singer Megan Helbig, guitarist/singer Peter-John Cain, bassist Justin Cain and drummer Matthew Cain. Although I arrived late and only caught a few songs, Tomorrowland introduced a bright and fresh sound; playing a colorful selection of original songs highlighted by bright, alternative-geared melodies and crisp vocal harmonies. Some of their titles in the homestretch included “Late September,” the upbeat “The Road” and “American Dream.” Rain Must Fall/Ultra-Magnetic bassist Hunter James sat in during one number.

The group announced that this was their final show for a little while; they are taking a brief hiatus to work on new song material. According to Megan, Tomorrowland expects to reconvene on State College stages this winter.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/30/10

Since Tomorrowland’s performance ended around 11 PM, I still had some time to get some late Thursday night Hurricaning in, so I capped the night at Pellegrine’s with Felix and company.

The Hurricanes with Dave Villani on keys were rocking Ted Nugent’s “Great White Buffalo” as I arrived. They continued with Santana’s “Evil Ways,” before dedicating their new original song ballad “Comin’ Home” in memory of Ralph Fabbri, a Marine from Gallitzin killed in action in Afghanistan two days before. The group then picked up the pace with ZZ Top’s “Just Got Paid,” with Felix showing off some sharp slide guitarwork. Dave then fronted the group on Ides Of March’s “Vehicle,” before the Hurricanes continued with a slow blues workout that showcased Dave’s masterful keyboard solo work. Bassist Jeff Clapper then sang lead on the Hollies’ “Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress),” before the group closed the night with Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Suzie Q,” with Felix and Dave blending and dueling on guitar and keys respectively.

Although I only got to see a small portion of the show, the Hurricanes made that portion well worth stopping by to witness.

THE HOUSE BAND @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 10/1/10

With the live music selection limited this Friday night, I decided to stick close to home and head to 30 Something, where The House Band and some musical guests would provide some fun and friendly sounds. I got a late start due to broadcast workplace duties, and arrived at around midnight.

As I arrived, guest Dewayne McKnight was behind the drum kit, providing the beats as keyboardist/singer Mark Rossi and guitarist Tom Rhodes performed two vintage rock’n’roll favorites by Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ Down” and “Great Balls of Fire.” More guests ensued, as John Buterbaugh strapped on his electric guitar and Dustin Wagner played acoustic; with Tom switching to banjo and Ed Murvine returning behind the drum kit for Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil.” This line-up played a few more songs, with John and Tom stepping out to the dance floor to jam with some dancers. Along the way, the House Band and their guests did Grand Funk Railroad’s “Footstompin’ Music,” Santana’s “Evil Ways” and two original songs, “Leave It Alone (The Addiction Song)” and “Holdin’ On (for All the Wrong Reasons).” At this point, more guests joined the festivities, as Kayla Feaster brought her guitar to the stage and Dakota Rose singer Laura Peach stepped to the microphone to front the House Band on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man.” The House Band then closed out the night with a Gregg Allman number.

The House Band and their guests sounded good, blending their talents nicely and having fun along the way. The friendly vibes from the stage were infectious, as audience members remained on the dance floor to either dance or cheer along. The whole night radiated a feelgood mood; reprising the tradition of House Band musical magic that stretches back to those fun Wednesday nights at the U.S. Hotel some 20 years ago. A fun night.

With Dewayne McKnight behind the drum kit, The House Band.

Tom Rhodes of the House Band.

Mark Rossi of the House Band.

Dewayne McKnight singing and playing the drums.

The House Band opens up the jam session stage.

Mark Rossi and John Buterbaugh.

Tom Rhodes on banjo.

The House Band, with John Buterbaugh and Dustin Wagner.

Tom Rhodes poses with some fans.

John Buterbaugh and Tom Rhodes enjoy some friendly jamming.

Once again, John, Tom and the House Band.

Laura Peach and Kayla Feaster join the House Band onstage.

Mark, John, Laura and Kayla.

Laura Peach belts out some voice!

Kayla Feaster.

WHITE SHADOW @ CRESSON HERITAGE DAYS, CRESSON 10/2/10

My annual fall festival “world tour” resumed this Saturday afternoon with a trip up the hill to take in the annual Cresson Heritage Days celebration.

White Shadow was providing the music in the late afternoon. Devoid of Elvis attire this day, Jerry Carnicella was back behind the drum kit and singing, with guitarist Johann Von Schrenkel and keyboardist Harry Young singing backing vocals. The group was into the homestretch of their performance. White Shadow featured a few songs by the Beatles and Elvis this day; but also included a variety of rock’n’roll from Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs and Neil Diamond to Steppenwolf, Doobie Brothers and more. This seasoned cast sounded good, with tight instrumental execution, bright vocals and harmonies, and plentiful enthusiasm. White Shadow’s fun vibe radiated out to the audience, with a number of folks clapping and grooving along in their seats.

After White Shadow’s performance, I enjoyed some of the festival food, and did some train watching from the nearby gazebo and observation platform. It was a nice way to cap a sunny early autumn Saturday afternoon.

White Shadow entertains at Cresson Heritage Days.

Jerry Carnicella of White Shadow.

Johann Von Schrenkel of White Shadow.

Again, Jerry Carnicella.

Again, Johann Von Schrenkel.

THE ULTRAMAGNETIC @ RUBINE’S, ALTOONA 10/2/10

A live music doubleheader was on my slate for this night. I first headed to Rubine’s in Altoona to check in with rising local power trio The Ultra-Magnetic, who were playing an early evening show.

Upon arriving, I procured a strategic location where I could view both the band and the Penn State-Iowa football game on the bar television. As the game proceeded, the desire to watch it waned as Penn State proceeded to get their butts handed to them by the Hawkeyes, 24-3. The Ultra-Magnetic ended up providing some solace from the sting of the gridiron beatdown.

The Ultra-Magnetic tapped roots in late ‘60s and early ‘70s era rock and blues with their mix of original songs and covers. Singer/guitarist Vince Macharola, bassist/singer Hunter James and drummer Jon Preston defined their musical turf with select numbers from the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Velvet Underground and others; and explored that turf with originals like “Keep It Hid,” “The Get Back Blues,” F’n A” and more, often extending them into inventive, improvisational jams. The group’s sounds resonated more with the Rubine’s crowd as the show progressed, and more fans started cheering for their brand of classic-flavored blues-infused rock.

I was pretty impressed with this look at The Ultra-Magnetic, and will be eager to see how they progress in the coming months.

The Ultra-Magnetic.

Again, the Ultra-Magnetic.

Vince Macharola of the Ultra-Magnetic.

Once again, the Ultra-Magnetic.

Again, Vince Macharola.

Jon Preston of the Ultra-Magnetic.

Hunter James of the Ultra-Magnetic.

More of the Ultra-Magnetic.

Giving his bass strings a scratch on the mic stand, Hunter James.

WYLD SYDE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/2/10

The second half of my live music doubleheader was happening at Pellegrine’s, where Johnstown’s Wyld Syde was making a rare Altoona appearance.

I arrived just as Wyld Syde finished their first set with Theory Of A Deadman’s “Bad Girlfriend.” At least initially, it was a shy crowd this night for the new band in the room, and most folks were hanging out by the main bar area.

When they resumed, Wyld Syde took the Pelly’s crowd on the wild side with a mixture of modern and ‘80s-era arena rock favorites during their remaining two sets. Singer Jimmy Kondash, guitarist Shawn Lasko, bassist Tommy Gregorchik and drummer Dean Thomas kicked off the second set with Poison’s “Look What the Cat Dragged In,” and quickly followed with Kid Rock’s “So Hott” and Buckcherry’s “Too Drunk.” The group returned to the ‘80s for Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name” and the Poison double-shot of “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” and “Talk Dirty to Me.” By this point, some dancers had made their way to the floor to bust their moves. Wyld Syde continued with Cheap Trick’s “Surrender,” Loverboy’s “Turn Me Loose” and Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive,” before closing the set with Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust.”

Although the crowd still largely congregated around the main bar area, at least a few more folks had ventured into the band room and onto the dance floor as Wyld Syde commenced their third chapter of the night. Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” started the set, followed by Skid Row’s “Youth Gone Wild” and the Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.” The group returned to the ‘80s for Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me,” Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train,” Journey’s “Any Way You Want It” and Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party).” After AC/DC’s “TNT,” Wyld Syde sparked more dancing with The Offspring’s “Self Esteem” and Theory Of A Deadman’s “Hate My Life,” before closing out in the ‘80s with Twisted Sister’s “I Wanna Rock” and Skid Row’s “18 and Life.”

Overall, Wyld Syde’s performance was solid. As he had flashed before during a recent Pelly’s Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night, Jimmy showed a good voice and an energetic personality up front, as he did his best to try to rally folks onto the dance floor. The band behind him was sturdy and on target, backing him with crunchy and driving rhythms.

Wyld Syde’s main drawback, though, was production. Their sound was muddy and negated some of their edge and clarity. Even though Pellegrine’s hasn’t seen as many big production shows in recent months, folks here still are accustomed to quality sound; and muddy production may have been a factor in keeping much of this crowd back around the main bar through most of the night. That and Penn State football loss doldrums…

Still, Wyld Syde showed that performance-wise they are strong and entertaining, so if their production catches up, look out…

Wyld Syde, making their Pellegrine’s debut.

Shawn Lasko of Wyld Syde.

Again, Wyld Syde.

Once again, Wyld Syde.

Jimmy Kondash of Wyld Syde.

Again, Shawn Lasko.

Tommy Gregorchik and Jimmy Kondash of Wyld Syde.

Again, Tommy Gregorchik of Wyld Syde.

Jimmy and Shawn of Wyld Syde.

Wyld Syde and some dancers.

Again, Wyld Syde and dancers.

One more time, Jimmy Kondash and Shawn Lasko of Wyld Syde.

BEDFORD FALL FOLIAGE FESTIVAL, BEDFORD 10/3/10

The next stop on my cavalcade of fall festivals tour was Bedford, to check out activities during the first weekend of their Fall Foliage Festival.

After getting socked with a greedy $109 traffic ticket from this town’s local Gestapo a year ago, I had considered bypassing this year’s Fall Foliage Festival. But time heals some wounds, and I attended; careful not to repeat my wrong turn this year as I procured street parking a few blocks from the main festival area.

Upon entering the main festival area, the first entertainment I encountered was performing on the sidewalk along Juliana Street. Local bluegrassers The Blue Shades were entertaining a growing crowd of observers and passers-by. Featuring singer/guitarist Brad Foust, banjo player Vince Bartlebaugh, upright bass player Troy Wigfield and mandolinist Don Fronk; The Blue Shades played traditional bluegrass, rural favorites and grassed-up versions of popular songs. Some of their numbers included the popular “Rocky Top” and “The Ballad of Jed Clampett,” as well as a bluegrass treatment of The Supremes’ “Stop! In the Name of Love.” The Blue Shades were very skilled and sounded sharp, and conveyed fun as they performed their numbers. It was difficult for me to pull away from this performance, but I wanted to see what else was happening at the festival’s two main stages.

The Blue Shades.

Vince Bartlebaugh of the Blue Shades.

Troy Wigfield of the Blue Shades.

Don Fronk of the Blue Shades.

Brad Foust of the Blue Shades.

Again, the Blue Shades.

At the nearby Gazebo stage at the end of the block, The Flying Dutchmen from Pittsburgh were under way. This band was interesting, performing an eclectic brand of acoustic, gypsy-flavored jazz. Michael Maskarinec and Dean Shumaker on acoustic guitars, David Adomites on upright bass and Charles May on acoustic violin introduced a variety of sounds, spanning Fats Waller’s “Honeysuckle Rose,” Guy Lombardo’s “Little Coquette,” a French jazz piece and more.

From Pittsburgh, The Flying Dutchmen.

Again, The Flying Dutchmen.

Reliably doing balloon art for the kids and emceeing the stage at another Bedford Fall Foliage Festival, Dennie Huber.

I soon headed downhill to the Fort Bedford Park riverside stage to see the latter set from the main band I wanted to see this day, Pittsburgh’s No Bad JuJu. I had missed this group when they played several times at Burgi’s Roundhouse a few years ago, so this was finally my first opportunity to see them in action. Featuring singer/percussionist Sabrina De Matteo, singer/guitarist Mark Matteo, bassist Tom Bellin, drummer Rick Dickerson, new keyboardist Richard Everett, and the three-piece brass section of sax man Eric Spaulding, trumpeter Steve McKnight and trombonist Ross Garin; No Bad JuJu lit up the stage with a bright blend of rock, funk, pop and R&B flavors that quickly triggered some dancing. After opening with Earth Wind & Fire’s “Shining Star,” No Bad JuJu went for the jugular with a heated Michael Jackson medley comprised of “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough,” “Thriller” and “Billie Jean.” The group then shifted musical gears into country pop with K.T. Tunstall’s “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree,” before funking it back up with Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Jump On It.” Old-school rock was next on the agenda with a rendition of the Rolling Stones’ “Brown Sugar,” before Sabrina introduced a poppy original song from the group’s self-titled CD, “Only Me.” The group then showed their blues-rock chops with a strong version of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Crossfire,” before stringing together Sublime’s “What I Got,” the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider” and the Beatles’ “Lady Madonna” into a punchy medley. No Bad JuJu closed things out with a funkfest, starting with Delbert McClinton’s “Standing on Shaky Ground” and carrying over to Parliament’s “Give up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker).” This band easily made my roadtrip to Bedford worth it; generating excitement with constant energy, choreographed moves, and plentiful smiles. They were tight, polished, energetic and professional; here’s hoping we eventually get to see No Bad JuJu back on the Burgi’s stage sometime soon.

From Pittsburgh, No Bad JuJu.

Sabrina De Matteo and Mark Matteo of No Bad JuJu.

No Bad JuJu’s horn section: Ross Garin, Steve McKnight and Eric Spaulding.

Sabrina De Matteo of No Bad JuJu.

Again, No Bad JuJu.

No Bad JuJu inspires some dancing action.

Mark Matteo of No Bad JuJu.

More dancing to No Bad JuJu.

Eric Spaulding of No Bad JuJu.

Again, Sabrina and Mark of No Bad JuJu.

Again, No Bad JuJu’s horn section with their choreographed moves.

Sabrina on the bongos.

Again, Mark Matteo.

No Bad JuJu’s new keyboard player, Richard Everett.

Rick Dickerson of No Bad JuJu.

Tom Bellin of No Bad JuJu.

Once again, Mark Matteo of No Bad JuJu.

Again, Tom Bellin.

Once again, No Bad JuJu.

One more time, Sabrina De Matteo of No Bad JuJu.

AUNT LISA’S BONE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/3/10

I returned to the ‘Toona from Bedford to carry out my weekly “Homegrown Rocker” duties, before closing out the weekend at Pellegrine’s, where Aunt Lisa’s Bone was making their first visit.

This line-up first formed as a pick-up band during Biker Billy Fest in May. Singer Todd “Kiwi” McKeone, lead guitarist Rich Johnson, rhythm guitarist Denny Yon, bassist Bill Nusom and drummer Dave Russell had just begun their final set of the night when I first arrived. Aunt Lisa’s Bone fired through hard-rocking favorites spanning the ‘80s to now. Some of their selection included Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” Green Day’s “She,” Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Suck My Kiss,” Stone Temple Pilots’ “Unglued,” Alice In Chains’ “Would?” Sponge’s “Wax Ecstatic,” Flock Of Seagulls’ “I Ran,” Godsmack’s “Whiskey Hangover” and more.

Once again, I came away impressed with Kiwi as a frontman; he sounded strong with good range and attitude up front, and is quickly gaining confidence in his first official frontman role. His support cast was strong and f ull-sounding on their instruments, and maintained a steady pace with few breaks in the action.

On the down side, nobody was here. Once again a new band – even a new band with familiar local faces such as this one – was skunked by whatever forces and factors are keeping people away from this room on Sunday nights any more. Whether the bad economy, DUI scares, the “alleged” stupid cop tricks from Memorial Day weekend or a combination of all of the above, Pelly’s on Sunday nights has fallen on hard times. Memo to everyone, especially serious live music fans…Use it or lose it. Without your support, live music goes away. And without your support here on Sunday nights, this live stage on Sundays may soon go away.

Aunt Lisa’s Bone, making their Pellegrine’s debut.

Todd “Kiwi” McKeone of Aunt Lisa’s Bone.

Again, Aunt Lisa’s Bone.

Rich Johnson of Aunt Lisa’s Bone.

One more time, Aunt Lisa’s Bone.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: