· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/11/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 31, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/11/10

SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/4/10

Again with Monday Night Football pushing back the start time of Pellegrine’s regularly-scheduled Monday night live music, the entertainment more-less amounted to just “She Said,” as Jess P handled the vast majority of musical chores this night.

Guest Eric sat in to help on guitar in the early going, as Jess did numbers by Lady Antebellum, K.T. Tunstall and 4 Non Blondes. She broke out her popular singalong “The Pussycat Song,” and many of her other regularly-scheduled song selections.

Adam D did perform briefly to spot Jess a break, teaming with Rich Piccerillo on guitar to take stabs at two Led Zeppelin numbers, “Stairway to Heaven” and “Over the Hills and Far Away.”

Jess returned to finish out the night with five more songs, including Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On the Run,” and to end the night, Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.”

MOUNTAIN CITY GRASS @ HILLBILLY ROY’S, ALTOONA 10/6/10

In the mood for some bluegrass sounds and Hillbilly Roy’s tasty ribs and fries, I headed to Hillbilly Roy’s to kick off this Wednesday night. On the itinerary were said ribs and fries, and music from Mt. City Grass.

Hospitality was the first order of the evening as I first arrived and parked myself at a table in the rear of the room. Hillbilly Roys’ main man Butch’s mom quickly brought out a complimentary bowl of stuffed pepper soup…DELICIOUS! It served as a good primer before the main course of ribs and fries.

Grassin’ it up as I first arrived was singer/guitarist/ringleader Denny Cerully, wife Kate Cerully on upright bass, Ed Decker on guitar, Tom McCarty on mandolin and Jim Horn on banjo. Mt. City Grass was firing up bluegrass and rural folk favorites like “Kentucky Girl,” “Down Where the River Bends,” Jim Reeves’ “I’ve Lived a Lot in My Time,” “Pick Me Up on Your Way Down” and more. A second guest banjo player, Dave Randall, soon joined the group; and as they arrived at the ever-popular “Rocky Top,” Hillbilly Roy’s main man Butch broke out the spoons and started playing along. Tom sang lead on Johnny Cash’s “Long Black Veil,” and the pickin’ and grinnin’ continued with Flatt & Scruggs’ “Roll In My Sweet Baby’s Arms” and “Little Girl in Tennessee,” Jimmy Martin’s “It Takes One to Know One,” Stonewall Jackson’s “The Big House on the Corner” and more.

The mood was loose, laid back and fun. These musicians kept things lighthearted; never taking themselves too seriously, and performing their tunes with smiles and laughter. That loose vibe radiated with the Hillbilly Roy’s audience, and everyone enjoyed the music and camaraderie. Topped with the delicious ribs and fries, it amounted to a pleasant start to the musical portion of my evening.

Mt. City Grass fires up the happy hoedown at Hillbilly Roy’s.

Again, Mt. City Grass and their guests.

OPEN MIC/JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/6/10

I jumped from jam to jam; from the bluegrass jam session at Hillbilly Roy’s to the all-out rock’n’roll jam night festivities of Pellegrine’s weekly Wednesday session.

The music was already under way, with singer/guitarist Rich Dasch, Harmonica Dave and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady performing as I arrived. They did renditions of Neil Young’s “The Needle and the Damage Done” and “Old Man,” Joe Cocker’s “You Are So Beautiful,” Jim Croce’s “You Don’t Mess Around with Jim” and more.

New arrival Kip Woodring then stepped up with his acoustic guitar and led the house in a rendition of Don McLean’s “American Pie,” before brother Jeff joined Kip for several songs. Adam D on keys and Dustin Wagner on acoustic guitar joined the brothers for Tom Petty’s “Breakdown” and “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” and Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.” Rich, Jeff Renner and John Buterbaugh joined the party, bringing a six-guitar army to the mix on Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb,” before Jeff sang the lead on AC/DC’s “The Jack.” Tim Yingling took up position on Adam D’s keyboard to work the percussion effects on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man,” which then continued into the Skynyrd/Kid Rock fusion of “Sweet Home Alabama” and “All Summer Long.” The uptempo tone of the evening continued to the end with renditions of Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name,” Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock’n’Roll” and Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower”; promoting behind-the-bar dance action from wait staffers Robin and Julie. Harry Pellegrine Jr. let the dogs out, as twin Airedales Samson and Wilson performed their canine vacuum cleaner duties around the barroom floor.

Although not the busiest jam night, still a good time.

Kicking out the jams (left to right): Jeff Woodring, Rich Dasch, John Buterbaugh, Dustin Wagner, Jeff Renner, Adam D and Kip Woodring.

The jam session continues.

Robin and Julie bust some dance moves behind the bar.

Julie earns a tip!

Again, Robin and Julie.

Who let the dogs out? Harry Pellegrine Jr.!

Harry, flanked by Samson and Wilson.

FORT LIGONIER DAYS FESTIVAL, LIGONIER 10/8/10

I was off to get my weekly fall festival fix again this day. The 51st annual Fort Ligonier Days Festival was kicking off this afternoon in downtown Ligonier, and I did the 90-minute roadtrip to check it out.

For some reason, parking in Ligonier for this festival always befuddles me. There is a designated festival parking area, but never once have I used it yet since I started attending this event a few years ago. The first year I actually tried to do the festival parking, but the signage pointed me to the football field and I parked there without ever being charged the $5 parking fee! Ever since, I’ve located street side parking a few blocks from the festival activity, and that is what happened again this year. Unlike past years, though, I actually remembered how to get back to my car this year!

Just under way as I arrived in the downtown square was Pittsburgh acoustic trio Tres Lads, on the gazebo bandstand stage. This trio featured some familiar names: singers/guitarists Jean-Marc Azoury, Fred Nelson (ex-Triple X) and Kevin McDonald (ex-Raquel/Grapevine). They did a wide variety of favorites from the ‘60s through ‘90s; displaying strong singing voices and detailed harmonies; plus a friendly personality that connected with fans of all ages. Their song selection during this performance ranged from CCR’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” and the Beatles’ “I Feel Fine” to The Flys’ “Got You Where I Want You,” Journey’s “Any Way You Want It” and “Don’t Stop Believin,’” Jane’s Addiction’s “Jane Says” and Oasis’ “Wonderwall” and “Champagne Supernova.” They also pulled off a good-sounding Queen medley including the Fred-fronted “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “We Are the Champions,” “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” and “Fat Bottomed Girls.” It was an all-around good performance that won applause from folks of all ages.

From Pittsburgh, Tres Lads.

Again, Tres Lads.

Kevin McDonald of Tres Lads.

Jean-Marc Azoury of Tres Lads.

A youngster angles for a closer look at Tres Lads.

Once more, Tres Lads.

During Tres Lads’ performance, I ran into Mark Middleton of Johnstown favorites The Desperadoes, who informed me that the group was playing at a plaza down the street after Tres Lads finished. So when Tres Lads ended their final song, I quickly hoofed it down to nearby Pondstone Park to catch The Desperadoes’ party. Mark on vocals and guitar, bassist/singer Mike Suppes and drummer Harold Knappenberger did what they do best, rocking with classics from the ‘60s and ‘70s; unafraid to tackle any and all requests. Some of their selection included the Bobby Fuller Four’s “I Fought the Law,” the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women,” Led Zeppelin’s “Houses of the Holy,” Thin Lizzy’s “Jailbreak,” Blue Oyster Cult’s “Godzilla,” the Standells’ “Dirty Water, Steely Dan’s “Reeling In The Years” and more; and even a requested version of Tommy Roe’s “Sweet Pea.” Several folks stuck around and grooved to the Desperadoes’ sounds; including two ladies working at the plaza’s Subway sandwich shop, who came outside and danced on the sidewalk, and some patrons standing on the patio of the upstairs Casa Chapala Mexican restaurant.

The Desperadoes.

Mike “Soupy” Suppes of The Desperadoes.

Harold Knappenberger of The Desperadoes.

Mark Middleton of The Desperadoes.

Again, “Soupy” of The Desperadoes.

Again, Mark Middleton.

Once again, The Desperadoes.

As the October night air was becoming chilly, I decided to depart Ligonier for the journey home. Fort Ligonier Days weekend was a big time in this town, and I noted another band or two playing inside some of the local taverns as I was headed back to my car. I considered sticking around to see this indoor entertainment, but decided to get back home while it was still early in the evening so I could check out live music happening in the ‘Toona this night.

LORDS OF THE HIGHWAY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/8/10

My destination upon returning to Altoona was Aldo’s, where Cleveland’s Lords Of The Highway headlined a rocking triple-bill. I had hoped to catch at least one of the two opening bands, The Rik Golden Band and Top Dead Center, but missed both as they set the table with their respective brands of no-holds-barred garage-flavored rock and punk respectively.

Lords Of The Highway soon took the stage and performed fast and furious rockabilly and psychobilly. This performance was exciting and action-packed from start to end, as this trio set a brisk tempo early on and never let up. Lead singer/guitarist Dennis A. Bell, upright bass player Jimbo Hissem and drummer Joe Hissem put pedal to the metal on high-octane original numbers like “Johnny In the Trailer Park,” “Rock’n’Roll Bitch,” “My Name Is Evil” and “You Broke My Heart, I Broke Your Face,” along with a surf-flavored instrumental where Dennis donned a Mexican-styled lucha libre mask, a storming version of Del Shannon’s “Runaway” and more. Lords Of The Highway were bristling and fun, throwing caution to the wind, generating ample amounts of fun and intensity, and never taking themselves too seriously.

Although Aldo’s wasn’t crowded this night, the folks who did stick around enjoyed what Lords Of The Highway had to offer. And Rik Golden shared his thoughts about those who didn’t show up…”Anyone who wasn’t here tonight was a chump.” I tend to agree…SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC!

Complete with lucha libre mask, Cleveland’s Lords Of The Highway.

Again, Lords Of The Highway.

Dennis A. Bell of Lords Of The Highway.

Rik Golden tells a joke during a break in the action.

Jimbo Hissem of Lords Of The Highway.

Again, Dennis A. Bell.

Jimbo and Dennis of Lords Of The Highway.

Again, Jimbo and Dennis.

More Lords Of The Highway.

More fun with Jimbo and Dennis.

Joe Hissem of Lords Of The Highway.

Again, Joe Hissem.

More of Jimbo and Dennis.

Yet more Lords Of The Highway.

Dennis takes a ride on Jimbo’s bass.

Once again, Dennis and Jimbo.

Once more, Jimbo Hissem.

One more time, Jimbo and Dennis of Lords Of The Highway.

Aldo is clearly excited with the performance.

APPLE BUTTER FESTIVAL, BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV 10/9/10

Another fall festival called my name this day. I had to decide between the Hartslog Days Festival in Alexandria, which I usually attend this year, and an out-of-town, out-of-state festival I had never been to before, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia’s annual Apple Butter Festival. With only minimal live music entertainment scheduled at Hartslog, and a beautiful and warm early fall day inviting a roadtrip, I decided on the out-of-state option.

I had passed through Berkeley Springs, West Virginia numerous times in the past several years, mainly en route to and from beach vacations. I noted that it appeared to have a bustling downtown area with lots of antique and arts shops around. During my last pass through there in August while heading to the Outer Banks, I noticed signage along the main drag through town, Route 522, mentioning that this town’s annual Apple Butter Festival was happening this weekend and made a mental note of it. Today I would go check it out, and also see Berkeley Springs in a little more detail!

But the trip wasn’t without its drama…As I merged from the 17th Street exit onto Interstate 99 south on the way out of Altoona, a truck in front of me loaded with loose garbage bags and pails of junk lost part of his load, with 2 or 3 of the bags popping out the back of the truck. Fortunately, none of them struck my car, and one bag flew over my car and underneath the front of the Chrysler convertible behind me. I saw the bag get stuck under the convertible’s front bumper and drag along the highway, the blonde lady behind the wheel apparently unaware that the bag was under her car. She veered into the passing lane and went around me, and I tried to wave and point to the front of her car as she went by. She didn’t look over and did not see me. I followed her and noted some smoke starting to appear from under her car, and I got into the passing lane to try to pull alongside and catch her attention. I noted some sparks coming up from under her car; whatever was in the garbage bag must have been metal, and was sparking as it dragged along the road. I got next to her car, tooted the horn and tried to catch her attention, but she looked straight ahead and didn’t notice me. She accelerated and slowly got ahead of me doing about 70-75 mph, and I wasn’t going to risk wrecking myself or catching a speeding ticket trying to chase her and persist as the good Samaritan, and she eventually took the exit off I-99 to take Route 22 west up the mountain. Hopefully the debris under her car eventually shook loose and didn’t cause any damage, or worse, an accident. I tried.

While en route to Berkeley Springs, I listened to Penn State’s homecoming football game, as the Nittany Lions hosted Illinois. As Penn State’s defense suffered numerous injuries during this game, Illinois blew the game open in the second half en route to a 33-13 win. With just minutes remaining in this depressing football game, I realized that I was glad to be leaving Pennsylvania for a little while this afternoon, as Happy Valley was probably anything but!

Upon arriving, I first paid $5 and parked in a local VFW parking lot. Traffic was heavy in and around Berkeley Springs, and I figured $5 was worth not dealing with the hassle of braving the heavy traffic in search of a closer parking space. As I walked along Route 522 toward downtown Berkeley Springs, I first encountered a pick-up group of four local musicians playing on the sidewalk in front of Black Cat Music store, performing a mixture of classic rock, blues and country. I never did get these guys’ names, but they sounded good on songs such as Elvis Presley’s “Suspicious Minds,” The Band’s “The Weight,” Dave Dudley’s “Six Days on the Road” and more.

Performing on the sidewalk outside Black Cat Music in Berkeley Springs, a pick-up street band.

Again, the street band.

Once again, the street band.

I then continued down the sidewalk, and soon arrived at the first festival tents. The Apple Butter Festival featured numerous arts and crafts tents lining the sidewalks and the downtown Berkeley Springs State Park. I browsed the tents and the park, which features a large bath house. With warm temperatures, a number of people and especially children were dipping their feet in the small waterways servicing and surrounding the bath house.

I soon encountered more music at the Park’s central gazebo stage. Regional folk group the Critton Hollow String Band was performing in front of a large crowd and passers-by. First formed in the mid ‘70s and comprised of Joe Herrmann on fiddle, mandolin and banjo; wife Sam Herrmann on dulcimer, and Joe Fallon on banjo and acoustic guitar; the Critton Hollow String Band performed traditional and Appalachian folk, dulcimer numbers and more. Some of their song selection included traditional folk standards “John Henry” and I’m Going to the West,” the Big Medicine-popularized “Red Rocking Chair,” “West Virginia” and more. This was a seasoned group whose talents blended well, and their vocals and harmonies sounded sharp as well.

The Critton Hollow String Band.

Again, the Critton Hollow String Band.

Audience members look on as the Critton Hollow String Band performs.

Playing dulcimer, Sam Herrmann of the Critton Hollow String Band.

Once again, the Critton Hollow String Band.

One more time, the Critton Hollow String Band.

After taking in Critton Hollow String Band’s performance for about half an hour, I continued on to explore more of the festival, including activity happening across the main drag, Route 522. The food court was located on this side of the road, so I partook in some grub, while continuing my search for more music. I soon found it, and discovered quite a musical contrast from the tranquil and pastoral sounds of Critton Hollow, as local Berkeley Springs-based foursome Broken Hiatus was slamming forth metal! Performing on the concrete patio of a local arts center; singer Jonathan Taylor, guitarist Eric Footen, bassist Jesse Masters and drummer Robbie Mann kept a rowdy audience cheering with a mix of classic and modern metal. The group did such songs as Pantera’s “Cowboys from Hell,” Chevelle’s “The Red,” Tool’s “Forty-six and 2,” Breaking Benjamin’s “Polyamorous,” Ozzy Osbourne’s “I Don’t Wanna Stop” and more, plus an original tune, “Til Dawn.” Instrumentally Broken Hiatus was strong and powerful, generating a bone-jarring wall of sound. Vocally, Jonathan was gritty and raw, a blend of metal savagery and punk acidity.

Hometown Berkeley Springs metallists Broken Hiatus.

Again, Broken Hiatus.

Jonathan Taylor of Broken Hiatus.

Jesse Masters of Broken Hiatus.

Again, Jesse Masters.

Robbie Mann of Broken Hiatus.

Eric Footen of Broken Hiatus.

One more time, Broken Hiatus.

Since the festival ended at 5 PM, I departed Broken Hiatus’ performance to catch a little more of the festival before things started closing down. I procured a bag of apples from an apple vendor tent, and obtained a jar of pumpkin butter from another vendor before returning to my car. I again stopped to take in the pick-up street band I passed earlier, still playing and entertaining passers-by.

Still going at it outside of Black Cat Music, the street band.

One more time against the backdrop of Berkeley Springs’ fall foliage, the street band.

Before embarking on the trip home, I accomplished one more objective during this trip. I had passed by a diner called the Southern Belle Restaurant, a trucker-styled eatery just south of town along Route 522. I had heard that the food here was decent, so I stopped here for my evening meal. The food was good; I did the pork chop dinner, and left very satisfied.

My first experience with the Berkeley Springs Apple Butter Festival was a good one; I hope to visit this festival again in years to come!

VOODOO BULLET @ BAR 53, COALPORT 10/9/10

Tired after doing nearly 4 hours of driving already this day to and from Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, plus walking around the environs? Hell no! After a couple of hours to recharge the batteries, I was back in the Professor-mobile and headed up Route 865 and through the wilderness of Blandburg and Utahville to Coalport. I had seen the band name Meeny Miney Mo on the marquee of Bar 53 earlier in the week, so I figured I would do the roadie up the hill and see what this new band name was all about.

Well, it turned out that the marquee hadn’t been updated since the previous weekend when I drove past Bar 53 on Thursday afternoon, and another band was performing this night…Beech Creek/Happy Valley rockers Voodoo Bullet. I hadn’t seen these Bullets in a few months, so this band was ripe for some fresh coverage as well.

Singer Brant Levi, lead guitarist Jeff McCloskey, rhythm guitarist Dan Rowley, bassist Chris Prisk and drummer Troy Orner had a good party going as I arrived toward the middle of their second set. They had the Bar 53 dance floor well filled as they did Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny,” and continued with favorites from Rick Springfield, Modern English, Lit, Simple Minds, and REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On The Run” to end the set.

The mood remained festive as Voodoo Bullet returned to the stage for the final set, and quickly refilled the dance floor as they started into Faster Pussycat’s “Bathroom Wall” and Poison’s “Look What the Cat Dragged In.” Pantera’s “Walk” featured a Troy drum solo, and the group continued with Three Days Grace’s “Let’s Start a Riot” and Breaking Benjamin’s “Polyamorous.” The group kicked up the intensity with Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name,” with Troy barking the lead vocal. The party continued and Coalport Nation got crazier with songs from Alice In Chains, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, an original song (I think called “Honey Child”) and an accelerated read of Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World” to close the set. The Bar 53 crowd demanded more, and Voodoo Bullet responded with Sponge’s “Plowed” and Pearl Jam’s “Evenflow” to end the night.

Voodoo Bullet made it fun, and kept the crowd happy to the end of the night. I liked the wide-ranging song selection they did this night, as they mixed it up between ‘80s, ‘90s and current rock numbers without staying in one place too long. This band was instrumentally solid, and Brant did a good job of firing up the dance floor crowd and keeping them firmly in party mode.

Although not the band I expected when I first arrived in Coalport, Voodoo Bullet nonetheless made my trip up the hill worth it.

Making their Bar 53 debut, Voodoo Bullet.

Jeff McCloskey of Voodoo Bullet.

Chris Prisk of Voodoo Bullet.

Again, Voodoo Bullet.

Once again, Voodoo Bullet.

More of Voodoo Bullet.

Brant Levi and Jeff McCloskey of Voodoo Bullet.

Dan Rowley of Voodoo Bullet.

Again, Brant Levi.

Playing some literal bottleneck slide, Jeff McCloskey.

Once again, Jeff McCloskey.

Once again, Chris Prisk of Voodoo Bullet.

BEDFORD FALL FOLIAGE FESTIVAL, BEDFORD 10/10/10

Back on the road again I was this day, to catch the final day of Bedford’s Fall Foliage Festival.

At least early on, the weather was sunny and warm as I arrived and parked my car. I first headed to the gazebo stage in downtown to see Chuck Blasko & The Vogues. A large crowd had already assembled and occupied all the festival hay bale seating, and it was standing room only around the edges of the seating area. It took me a while to procure a vantage point; but I eventually did find one next to the sound shed.

A founding member, Chuck has continuously been a Vogue for 45 years. Chuck and his current edition of The Vogues – singers Keith Dix and Sean Moran and a backing band – entertained the huge crowd with some of the group’s biggest hits such as “5 O’Clock World,” “Magic Town,” their version of The Penguins’ “Earth Angel” and more; plus other assorted hits like Stevie Wonder’s “Signed Sealed Delivered,” Elton John’s “Club at the End of the Street” and more. Chuck and the Vogues sounded good, with good voices and harmonies. Chuck was friendly and appreciative of the crowd, pausing to let fans take pictures with him, and even welcoming photo ops with audience members during one medley of the group’s various hits.

Chuck Blasko and The Vogues.

Attracting some dancers, Chuck Blasko and The Vogues.

Once again, Chuck Blasko and The Vogues with some dancers.

Chuck Blasko (left) and The Vogues.

More of Chuck Blasko and The Vogues.

A large audience takes in the performance of Chuck Blasko and The Vogues.

Another look at the large crowd.

Another dancer grooves to Chuck Blasko and The Vogues.

The dancer poses for a picture with Chuck Blasko and The Vogues.

After watching the Vogues for about half an hour, I departed to walk down to the river stage to catch the entertainment there. I noted a thickening cloud over the area as I made my way down the hill to the stage, and that cloud suddenly opened up and unleashed a downpour and some wind bursts. I quickly ducked under a tent, and ended up rescuing the tent from blowing away, much to the relief of the two ladies staffing the tent. They joked that I had earned the dry shelter of their tent by holding it in place while the wind bursts tried to blow it away.

After about 15 minutes, the downpour subsided and the cloud moved on, and I was able to leave the tent to head to the stage. Due to the downpour, the crowd had largely scattered, delaying the start of the final band of the afternoon, Harrisburg trio The High Tops. Featuring singer/bassist Nate MacDicken, singer/guitarist Nick Bierzonski and drummer Kevin Loncar; The High Tops presented an interesting musical focus, mixing classic ‘50s and ‘60s hits with retro-styled ‘80s and ‘90s sounds. While the group celebrated rock’n’roll’s roots with tunes like Wilbert Harrison’s “Kansas City,” Johnny Cash’s “Get Rhythm,” Buddy Holly’s “Oh Boy,” the Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There” and Elvis Presley’s “Don’t Be Cruel”; they also mixed in more recent ‘50s/’60s-rooted modern classics, such as U2’s “Desire,” Traveling Wilburys’ “Rattled,” Marshall Crenshaw’s “Someday Someway,” Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town” and more. Although the crowd was slow to return after the rain, The High Tops did their best to entertain the folks who did stick around, and sounded smooth on their diverse set list. They kept the mood friendly, and had fun onstage as they did their selection.

From Harrisburg, the High Tops.

Again, the High Tops.

Nick Bierzonski of the High Tops.

Nate MacDicken of the High Tops.

Kevin Loncar of the High Tops.

One more time, the High Tops.

Rain notwithstanding, it was an enjoyable afternoon in Bedford, and a nice close to this year’s Fall Foliage Festival.

JOHNNY DANGER @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/10/10

After returning to Altoona and attending to my regularly-scheduled “Homegrown Rocker” duties, I proceeded to Pellegrine’s to catch another look at Johnny Danger. I had only caught a handful of songs during this group’s first performance here on Labor Day weekend, and this night would provide me a better opportunity to see what they were all about.

Into their second set of the night as I arrived, the seasoned cast of singer/keyboardist Adam D, guitarist Greg Larrimore, bassist Tim Kelly and drummer Steve Brulia spotlighted mostly ‘80s favorites for the duration of the night. The remainder of their second set included Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It,” Motley Crue’s “Home Sweet Home,” Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on Me,” the B52s’ “Love Shack” and Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” along with one modern tune, Buckcherry’s ever-popular “Crazy Bitch.”

The ‘80s continued to be the dominant flavor as Johnny Danger resumed their mission in the final set; opening with Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,’” Great White/Ian Hunter’s “Once Bitten Twice Shy” and Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name.” Arriving guest Eric D stepped onstage to wail harmonica with the band on the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” Adam and the group next tackled some female rock, doing 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up,” before finishing out the night in the ‘80s again with Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax,” the GoGos’ “We Got the Beat” and George Michael’s “Faith.”

Although the house was not packed and the crowd was not nearly as large as it was for Johnny Danger’s Labor Day eve debut, there were still some folks present, and the group succeeded in getting some of them onto the dance floor. Johnny Danger was solid and energetic, and delivered their tunes with the confidence and poise of a seasoned crew. It appears this group has successfully cleared the launch pad and is running; it will be interesting to see what missions they undertake as they continue to define their sound and onstage party.

Guest Eric D wails on harmonica with Johnny Danger.

Again, Johnny Danger with guest Eric D.

More of Johnny Danger and Eric D.

Greg Larrimore of Johnny Danger.

Double-D; Adam and Eric.

Adam D of Johnny Danger.

Once again, Johnny Danger.

Johnny Danger’s party continues.

Steve Brulia of Johnny Danger. (Interesting sidenote: in my system for coding photos, the number of this shot came up 10101010, since the date was 10/10/10 (the first three tens), and it was the tenth photo of the series. Useless trivia, but cheap thrills for me!)

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: