· Home
· Band Pages
· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Guitarists... what would you prefer in your Bassist?
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Viewer Polls
previous topic :: next topic  
FretlessJazz

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

BASS PLAYERS DO NOT ANSWER THIS. YOU HAVE PROVEN YOU CAN NOT AND I'M TIRED OF YOUR FIGHTING!

I started as a bassist on upright acousitc, then moved to electric music. I then played 6 string lead guitar for 13 years, then returned to bass. ( 23 years all together.) I play very well plucking with my fingers or using a pick. I do alot of fill in gigs and studio jobs. I have found that most of the people I have ever worked for seem to have a prefrence for one style over the other and will request me to play in the style they prefer at the start of the job. I was truly surprised at how much this issue matters to other musicians that are not bass players.

So my query to you guitarists out there is...

If there were no egos to worry about hurting, and no bad feelings over musicial techinque. Which would you rather play with... a bassist that plucks the strings with his finger tips... or a bassist that plays with a pick? And why do you prefer that style?

Thank you....
Jasaoke
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

I prefer fingered bass. To me, bass is more of an atitude than an instrument and bass pickers typically are more technical than expressive. I prefer bass that is round, deep, soft, and expressive. I believe that the drummer and bass player must work together as a single unit, and the attack that a pick produces on the bass competes with the drums.
 Back to top »
autumnsky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Jun 06, 2011 

Some what caring, with a sense of humor. Some one who'll pick up the check once in a while between gigs. Oh, are you speaking musicially?
My bad!!!
 Back to top »
todd17063
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 08, 2011 

ok first of all i call myself a guitarist that just happens to play bass... i recently switched to bass for the reason that bassist are hard to find...when i was playing guitar in a band two years ago i prefered a basist that played with fingers due to it provided a better tone.. i also prefer a bassist that can take a cover tune and make it more of thier own and take things to a new level and improvise.... now when i play it depends on the song as to what i use... like for instance playing under pressure by Queen thi sig riff requires a pick to get the right sound and tempo ... however i prefer to follow the same thing as i did when i was a guitarist and use fingers mostly due to tone and all around fuller sound out of a bass using fingers
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Viewer Polls
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: