· The Final Cut
ST. PATRICK'S DAY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/22/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday May 12, 2004 

ST. PATRICK’S DAY WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/22/04

SCOTTY O’MANGENE @ BENNIGAN’S, ALTOONA 3/17/04

St. Patrick’s Day 2004 had arrived. I had celebrated the past two St. Patty’s Day’s by catching local Irish pub duo The Michael O’Brian Band and their infectious brand of rowdy Irish drinking music. But the Michael O’Brian Band had already done their Altoona St. Patty’s celebrating a few days earlier, and were in State College for this St. Patrick’s Day. So this year, other performers would be providing the Irish musical merriment for me and other Altoona area celebrants of the wearin’ of the green.

I began by heading to Bennigan’s, where Scott Mangene – a.k.a. Scott O’Mangene this day – was performing. Scott, a former member of Maxwell Strait and Sideshow Bob, set out on a solo career as a singer/songwriter/guitarist last year. I hadn’t yet seen his solo presentation. But given that this was St. Patrick’s Day, I figured I probably wouldn’t get to see Scott’s routine show this night.

And I didn’t. Scott played guitar and sang Irish folk favorites throughout the evening. “I’m A Rover,” “Whiskey In The Jar,” “Finnegan’s Wake,” “When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,” and other Irish geared favorites kept at least a few festive St. Patty’s revelers attentive. Although Scott did a good job performing this material, much of the audience was chatting and partying amongst themselves, not paying any particular attention to Scott onstage. Compared to the rowdier Michael O’Brian Band atmosphere of the past two years, Bennigan’s party was more subdued this year and lacked the charged energy and atmosphere.

So after watching Scott Mangene for over an hour, I decided to venture out and find another of the Altoona area’s St. Patty’s parties this night…

Scott Mangene, getting his Irish up at Bennigan’s.

(SHAM)ROCK & RYE @ BELMAR HOTEL, ALTOONA 3/17/04

From Bennigan’s, I proceeded to the Belmar Hotel in Altoona to continue my St. Patrick’s Day celebration with Rock & Rye, this night dubbed Sham-Rock & Rye.

After Jerry the door leprechaun checked me in, I was able to procure a table directly in front of the performers. Greg Burley and Ryan Clark were under way with their brand of ‘acoustic intoxication,’ mixing acoustic current and classic rock favorites. Their first set included songs from Neil Young, Kid Rock, Incubus, Eagles, Pearl Jam, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Calling, Elton John, Bad Company, Dobie Gray and more. First set highlights included several festive female St. Patty’s revelers’ requests for the “Unicorn Song” (it’s amazing how many people think this song is called “Green Alligators!”); Rock & Rye attempted this Irish favorite, inviting the ladies to sing the words – they made it through one verse. Another highlight finished the set, as Greg and Ryan broke out a song from the comedy realm, Rodney Carrington’s “Letter to My Penis.”

Intermission enabled me an opportunity to order up some excellent Belmar food. In Irish tradition, I wanted to go for the corned beef and cabbage. But the luck of the Irish wasn’t with me again this year, the Belmar stopped serving it prior to my arrival. So I celebrated Cinco de Mayo early instead, ordering up a plate of Belmar nachos grande. With green beer.

Soon Sham-Rock & Rye were back in action, mixing more acoustic current and classic rock favorites. During this set, the pair mixed songs from Puddle Of Mudd, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Moody Blues, America, Hootie & the Blowfish, Fleetwood Mac, Fuel, Poison, Kiss and more. Highlights from this set included Rock & Rye’s unique fusion of Fuel’s “Sunburn” with the Classics 4’s “Spooky;” their Fleetwood Mac double-shot of “Landslide” into “The Chain;” the duo suddenly veering into Frank Sinatra mode to send “That’s Life” out to Belmar owner Al; and the group’s rowdy acoustic treatment of Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Nite” to finish the set.

The pair was supposed to be finished at this point, but a passing of the hat by the Belmar staff earned enough greenbacks to keep Rock & Rye onstage for another half hour. Greg and Ryan finished out the night with songs from Fuel, Radiohead, the Who, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Seger and Rod Stewart.

It was a laid-back, happy-go-lucky good time. Greg and Ryan were relaxed and upbeat, keeping the St. Patty’s revelers happy with the song mix and never taking things too seriously. I enjoyed the duo’s balanced song selection, balanced both between new and older rock, and between familiar favorites and a few forgotten gems not heard in a while. And Rock & Rye served up the night “a la carte, no Buffett,” meaning no cheeseburgers in paradise or wasting away in Margaritaville this night.

In lieu of corned beef and cabbage and a bowl of Lucky Charms, this turned out to be a good St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Scott Mangene provided the traditional Irish tunes at Bennigans, and Rock & Rye provided the rock’n’roll merriment and acoustic intoxication afterward.

Rock & Rye, serving up Irish merriment at the Belmar.

Greg Burley of Rock & Rye.

Ryan Clark of Rock & Rye.

Without his green zebra stripe spandex this night, Ryan Clark of Rock & rye.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 3/18/04

Workplace duties kept me very late this night, so I only got to catch the late stages of this weekly Hurricanes Thursday Blues-day performance.

As I entered Peter C’s, Dick Kos was onstage with brother Felix and the ‘Canes, and a guest harmonica player named Randy was belting out some harp licks as the group performed “One Way Out,” finishing out their set.

Peter C’s was moderately busy this night, with a mid-sized crowd of Hurricaniacs and other patrons on hand.

After the intermission, The Hurricanes fired things back up, with Randy again blowing harp on Blackfoot’s “Train Train.” The Hurricanes then finished out the night with the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Call Me The Breeze,” the Beatles’ “Somebody” and the Allman Brothers’ “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.”

As expected, it all sounded good. Bob Watters and Jeff Clapper were laying down the colorful rhythms, and the two Kos brothers were lighting it up on the fretboards. All four musicians pushed and challenged each other at every turn, making for instrumental displays that continually pushed skyward for energy and intensity.

Although I didn’t get to see much of it this week, what I did see from the Hurricanes definitely made me happy that I stopped by to witness what I did.

Felix & the Hurricanes, generating the onstage storm at Peter C’s.

Dick and Felix Kos of The Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Again, Dick and Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes party continues at Peter C’s.

Dick, Felix and the Hurricanes, juking it up at Peter C’s.

Two devout Hurricaniacs, Sharon and Amy, enjoy the festivities at Peter C’s.

RED WEDNESDAY/GRAPHIC @ THE LAST COWBOY, STATE COLLEGE 3/19/04

Before I talk about this show at The Last Cowboy in State College, a little bit about the reason I was initially in State College this night…

Long, long ago, the seeds to my radio career were sewn. I first caught the radio “bug” at Penn State Altoona, when I joined the campus Radio Club and became an on-air announcer on closed-circuit dormitory station WARC. It was closed-circuit, and the signal stank for the most part, but I quickly became infatuated with playing records on the air and announcing, and entertaining the tens of students and maintenance people who could hear us while sitting downstairs in the Slep Building. It was at this point that I finally decided on broadcasting as my major, and radio as my choice of career, for better or worse.

In 1981, I transferred from Penn State Altoona to Penn State main campus at University Park, and it didn’t take me long to find and become involved in student radio there. I joined up with another dorm radio station, WSHR, South Halls Radio, and I also became involved with the official student radio station, WDFM. Unlike the dorm stations, this was an actual licensed radio station, with an actual transmitter, and a signal that could be heard throughout a 50-mile radius of State College. Although it was a non-commercial radio station, I learned the basic mechanics of how a radio station worked at WDFM. I recorded PSA’s and weather forecasts. I helped catalog and maintain the music library. And I did on air announcing on WDFM; I was part of the monthly rotation of announcers that hosted the Saturday night “Metal Wind” program (3 hours of heavy metal, it was the highlight of my month!), and I also did a weekly graveyard shift from 3 to 6 AM Monday morning doing “Free Form Radio,” where I could play pretty much anything I wanted (something you quickly learn you cannot do in commercial radio). WDFM fed the fire and nurtured my interest in radio, and solidified broadcasting as my choice for a career.

Cutting to the chase, WDFM and Penn State student radio were celebrating 50 years on air this weekend with a special reunion. Past WDFM and Penn State student radio alumni were invited to come celebrate this reunion, kicking off with an informal social mixer at the Nittany Lion Inn this night. I attended, not sure if I would see any of the people I worked with during my days at WDFM. But lo and behold, I did see a few folks I knew, including my former music director at WDFM (and fellow “Metal Wind” jock) Joe Plasko, who now works for a newspaper in his hometown of Tamaqua. I also saw Ray Cromie; Ray has been a part of Penn State student radio since before I even attended Penn State. Over the years, he has hosted the avante-garde music program, and still does the show to this day on Penn State’s current student radio station, WKPS. Although a little grayer, Ray has hardly changed at all since I last saw him years ago! (A few other alums jokingly said that if you study paintings of The Last Supper, you’ll probably see Ray standing somewhere in the background, he has been around so long!)

Besides this social mixer, the reunion weekend also featured a tour of the Accu-Weather complex outside State College (very impressive, especially their main broadcast center and all the small studios they use to record radio weather forecasts for stations around the world); an open house at the current student station, WKPS (thanks to modern technology, their ENTIRE station now fits into a room same size as the studio booth I broadcast out of at WDFM in the early 80’s); and an organized discussion/forum about the current state of radio, which included WDFM alumni now working for National Public Radio, a Detroit television station and others. (General consensus drawn from this discussion: Clearchannel and corporate radio in general suck.) It was an interesting, insightful weekend that brought back memories for me – I even broke out some of my old “Metal Wind” show tapes to listen to while driving to and from State College this weekend (God did I sound horrible back then!).

Back to the review…After the social/mixer, I proceeded to the Last Cowboy for my first look at two bands I had yet to experience, Graphic and Red Wednesday.

Red Wednesday kicked off the evening. Their drummer, Troy Orner, should be familiar to Juiced fans, as he is that group’s light technician. The Lock Haven-based group also features guitarist Dan Rowley, bassist Brant Levi and singer Craig Miller. Red Wednesday mixed it up between a number of original songs, 80’s, 90’s and current rock. The group’s style and sound was aggressive-geared modern rock, paced by Troy’s powerful rapidfire drumming and topped by Dan’s jagged guitar riffage and Craig’s feral howl. Original songs like “I Don’t Know How I Got Into This” and “Yesterday’s Man” showed a slight Godsmack-ish flavor. The group also added edge and bite into their versions of Duran Duran’s “Hungry Like the Wolf,” Dead Or Alive’s “You Spin Me (Like a Record),” Flock of Seagulls’ “I Ran” and an aggressive take on the Mamas & Papas’ “California Dreamin.’” Red Wednesday succeeded in triggering some early dance floor action; and their pacing and energy level were strong. I did think their overall tuning could have been better in this set; at times, the guitar, bass and voices weren’t operating in perfect harmony. But Red Wednesday demonstrated they have the tools and enthusiasm, and further onstage experience should make them better.

After Red Wednesday’ set ended, I started to realize that something wasn’t quite right. Seated at one of the tables in the middle section of the Last Cowboy near the dance floor, I hadn’t been waited on yet by the staff. And as I paid more attention, I saw that the Cowboy wait staff was largely bypassing this whole central table area, but constantly servicing the upstairs landings on either side of the floor! Maybe the upstairs landing folks tipped better, or were in a better caste than those of us seated at floor level. Finally, I grew tired of waiting for service, and went up to the main bar and procured a brew. And for the record, this wasn’t the first time I’ve seen this happen at the Last Cowboy, I’ve endured long waits for service on the floor level tables before (but unlike this night, I eventually was waited on). MEMO TO LAST COWBOY: Try mixing in a few barmaids/waitresses on the floor level once every half hour or so. A few of us might just even tip you (unlike this night).

Red Wednesday succeeded in warming up the Last Cowboy, and Graphic was ready to pick up the ball and run with it. But as the group launched into their set, the sound system revolted. The system’s high end blew out; first interrupting, and then delaying Graphic’s set for 15 minutes. Once the group was able to resume, the sound never did fully clear up, and singer Greg Locke and guitarist Steve Shutt sounded muddy in the mix for a good part of the night.

Once they started back up, Graphic – Greg, Steve, bassist Justin Norfolk and drummer Adam Rider – played one continuous, nonstop set mixing mostly nu-metal and current rock favorites. The group fired through numbers by Limp Bizkit, Disturbed, Linkin Park, Drowning Pool, Trapt, Eminem, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Godsmack, Tool, Breaking Benjamin, Rage Against the Machine and more. The group occasionally dropped in an older number, such as Danzig’s “Mother,” White Zombie’s “Thunder Kiss ’65” and “Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama;” but for the most part they kept their setlist more current-geared.

Overall, Graphic gave a solid effort. Instrumentally the group played tight and together, demonstrating gusto and enthusiasm towards the material they were performing. Frontman Greg did a respectable job on voice, given the technical problems, and he confidently worked the entire stagefront area to rally fans into Graphic’s party. Graphic eventually rebuilt the momentum lost during the early technical delay, and kept the Last Cowboy dance floor busy for most of the remainder of the night.

So despite the technical snafus, Graphic and Red Wednesday were still able to state their respective cases onstage this night; and both showed potential for evolving into regional heavyweight contenders.

Red Wednesday, kicking off the night at The Last Cowboy.

Brant Levi of Red Wednesday.

Craig Miller of Red Wednesday.

Once again, Red Wednesday, commencing the party at the Last Cowboy.

Greg Locke of Graphic.

Steve Shutt of Graphic.

Again, Greg Locke of Graphic.

Again, Steve Shutt of Graphic.

Graphic, delivering the party at the Last Cowboy.

Again, Graphic, rocking the Last Cowboy.

Once again, Greg Locke of Graphic.

KYX @ ELECTRIC AVENUE, HOUTZDALE 3/20/04

Even though I encountered steady rain and developing fog while driving home from State College earlier this day, I was still determined to “get out of Dodge” for an evening, and sample another band I hadn’t seen yet – Kyx – at Electric Avenue in Houtzdale.

It had been at least a couple of years since I last caught a show at Electric Avenue (since Michael Hughes/The Worry Knot’s CD-release show for his first album in late ’01). I found a packed parking lot upon my arrival, enough so that I had to park around the other side near Electric Avenue’s rear entrance. I touched base with Electric Avenue main man Justin, procured my first brew and set up shop in a booth to await the start of Kyx’s second set of the night.

Kyx soon kicked into their second set, commencing with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “That Smell.” Six members strong, Kyx proceeded with a mix of mostly classic rock favorites with the occasional current favorite thrown in. Keyboard man Terry Wills, bassist Glenn Walstrom and guitarist Bill Moyer swapped lead vocal duties throughout the set on tunes from Steppenwolf, Don Henley, Robert Palmer, Cheap Trick, Bob Seger, ZZ Top and more. Bill Ferrell and Jim Walstrom played guitars, while Chris Sherkel supplied the steady drum beat. The group’s presentation was sturdy and upbeat, keeping the excitement level high and giving the Electric Avenue dancefloor populace no reason to want to sit down. This set ended with one current favorite, Jimmy Eats World’s “The Middle.”

With Tony Taylor of ABC Productions handling soundboard duties this night, Kyx was coming through with a full, powerful and balanced sound, with all six members being clearly heard.

Kyx’s final set mixed things up a little more musically, and featured several surprises and highlights. After commencing with Green Day’s “Basket Case,” Kyx mixed tunes from ZZ Top, the Allman Brothers, Eagles, Bon Jovi, Greg Kihn Band, Sister Hazel, Poison, Golden Earring and more. Highlights and surprises along the way included Kyx’s version of Peter Frampton’s “Show Me The Way,” with guitarist Bill Ferrell on talkbox; a feisty version of Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man” with Glenn providing the R&B growl; a singalong version of Garth Brooks’ “Friends In Low Places;” a version of the almost forgotten Sniff ‘n’ the Tears’ 80’s lost classic “Driver’s Seat,” and the rowdy set-ending rendition of Golden Earring’s “Twilight Zone.” When the Electric Avenue crowd demanded an encore, the group delivered with their take on Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird,” with Bill Ferrell singing lead, and he and Jim Walstrom combining for the heated homestretch fretboard fireworks display.

This was a strong show overall. These veteran rockers were steady and solid, keeping the tempo and pace upbeat, and the attitude and presentation fun and exciting. The first line-up of Kyx first performed 25 years ago; and the current edition of this group treats their show as a celebration of weekends and rock’n’roll, and the time-honored tradition of letting your hair down, drinking a few beers and pounding a dance floor on a Saturday night. Kyx generated that type of rowdy Saturday night rock’n’roll party this night, and the Electric Avenue was eager to partake in the celebration.

Jim Walstrom of Kyx.

Chris Sherkel of Kyx.

Bill Ferrell and Jim Walstrom of Kyx.

Glenn Walstrom of Kyx.

Bill Ferrell of Kyx.

Once again, Bill Ferrell of Kyx.

Bill Ferrell and Jim Walstrom of Kyx, jamming on “Free Bird.”

Once again, Bill Ferrell and Jim Walstrom of Kyx, cutting loose on their guitars.

Kyx, rocking Electric Avenue.

Again, Glenn Walstrom of Kyx.

The Walstrom brothers, Glenn and Jim, of Kyx.

Again, Jim Walstrom of Kyx.

Once again, Bill Ferrell and Jim Walstrom of Kyx.

More excitement with Kyx, firing it up at Electric Avenue.

One more time, Bill Ferrell of Kyx.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/21/04

After putting in a late Sunday night at the office, I was up for some Hurricaning to help cool down my weekend, so I headed to The Hitching Post to see what Felix, Jeff and Bob were up to.

It was a relaxed, friendly atmosphere at the Hitching Post, and the Hurricanes were doing what they do best, firing off classic rock and bluesy favorites. In the night’s homestretch, the trio performed tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Aerosmith, John Mellencamp, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blackfoot, The Doors and more. Noticing the arrival of the Sunday night local music radio show host, the trio broke out one original song in the late going, “Backyard Rocker” (thanks again, guys!). Other highlights included the tongue-in-cheek makeshift drum circle display between Bob and Felix on “Born to Be Wild;” and Felix and Jeff’s vocal harmonies on Aerosmith’s “Walk This Way.”

The mood was festive, and the Hitching Post audience was happy and appreciative of the ‘Canes efforts. After a busy weekend for yours truly, this was the fitting cool down to draw the weekend to a close.

The photographic highlight of the night, Hurricaniac Michelle, modeling the latest Hurricanes wardrobe.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: