· The Final Cut
Website Questions
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 02, 2004 

I'm in the process of finishing a site for Kenny and myself and had a few questions about adding things. I'm looking to put a guestbook, counter, and mailing list on, but don't want to go through a place like Bravenet to be able to do it. I really don't want viewers to have to deal with popups. The entire site is written in HTML and I'm not at all familiar with flash or anything else out there. Also, does anyone know the code I need to use to have a specific application, instead of a browser, open and play an MP3?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
bassist_25

Post Posted: Monday Jun 07, 2004 

It's great that you decided to opt against a Bravenet guestbook. I like to go to a website, and see a guestbook that is intergrated into the rest of the site. The third party guestbooks are cool, but they never look ancillary to the rest of the site.

If you want to program a guestbook, you are going to have to learn some javascript. Java is much more dynamic than HTML, and you problay won't learn it over night. I would suggest purchasing a book on javascript, because it's such an advanced language, but you could check out www.javascript.com to get some of the gist of it.
JimmySkinny

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 10, 2004 

hit me up if your webserver has cgi access, because i have a sweet cgi guestbook.

try something different with a website, try it skinny style! SkinnyDesign
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
facingwest
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Post Posted: Monday Jun 14, 2004 

I've never used cgi before. How hard is it to work with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
JimmySkinny

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 15, 2004 

basically you upload this cgi script in the cgi directroy of your website host
then all you gotta do is go to the web address for the guestbook and set it up, its pretty simple

try something different with a website, try it skinny style! SkinnyDesign
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 24, 2004 

Sorry Paul, not to be a goof, but javascript alone can't be used for a guestbook since it executes on the client side. (your computer).

A guestbook needs the data to be stored on the web server so that everyone has access to it. Javascript can't write data to the server since it is running on the client's computer.

Somewhere along the line you have to execute code on the server side to store the data. Some guestbook programs use javascript in their html code for local calculations, data gathering, verification, etc., but they will always rely on PHP, Perl, Python, Java or some other server side language to handle the real work.

For anyone wanting to learn any kind of computer language, buckle down and learn good ol' C / C++. You won't regret it. It's sort of like learning the piano before starting a musical career. Since PHP and C are very similar syntactically, I learned PHP in a few hours from a cheap book.
bassist_25

Post Posted: Sunday Jun 27, 2004 

It's cool Ron, I never claimed to be a masterprogrammer. Razz

I'm an IT guy, so I'm all about LANs, and what-not. *LOL*
vlus

Post Posted: Sunday Jul 18, 2004 

Hello, (apologies in advance to the administrator of this forum, but this is directly relevant to the post and is not spam ... thx!)

I stumbled onto your thread here, and when I'm not rocking with my new band, I manage a web hosting company right here in PA Smile

Best part about it ...we include tons of point and click scripts such as counters, chatrooms, guestbooks, etc. The control panel we provide you automatically installs and configures the CGI script for you so you have to mess with the code! Very slick!

It gets even better, tho... our pricing is killer! Our plans start at $1.99 a month with very robust plans starting at $4.95 a month.

Take a minute and check out the plans at:
http://www.web-hostess.com/services/comparePlans.htm

Email my sales address from the website if you have any questions, and if you want to check out my personal site regarding music, surf:
http://www.heavensonfire.com

Have a good one!
Vlus
 Back to top »
vlus

Post Posted: Sunday Jul 18, 2004 

correction: so you DON'T have to mess with the code.... grrr, i hate when I type faster than i'm thinking Smile
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: