· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/19/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jun 05, 2004 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/19/04

RONNY D. & ADAM D. @ HOTEL BELMAR, ALTOONA 4/13/04

Able to escape the clutches of the workplace early this night, I headed across town to the Belmar Hotel to check in with Ron Dalansky, Adam D. and their guests.

A small change this night from the prior Belmar Ron & Adam sessions I saw – the live music had been shifted over into the next room, further away from the main bar. This setting was a bit smaller and less open than the previous location, but it did put the audience a little closer to the entertainment.

This night found two guests sitting in with the duo; “Big Jim” Ricotta making his regular Tuesday night appearance, and lead Hurricane Felix Kos. Big Jim and Felix were performing the Beatles’ “Something” as I arrived, spotting Ron and Adam a break. Adam then joined the pair, as Felix sang lead on America’s “A Horse with No Name.” Felix then platooned out of the lineup, and various combinations of Adam, Ron and Big Jim proceeded with classics from Neil Young, the Allman Brothers, Guns’n’Roses, Styx, Supertramp, the Who, Emerson Lake & Palmer and more. Highlights and curios included a version of Five Man Electrical Band/Tesla’s “Signs,” led into with a Yes “Roundabout” tease; Adam’s lounge lizard keyboard treatment of the Who’s “The Real Me,” followed immediately by Adam and Big Jim’s version of “Won’t Get Fooled Again;” and the Adam and Jim version of Emerson Lake & Palmer’s “Lucky Man.” For the finale, Felix rejoined the other three musicians to finish out the night with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man.”

It was a laid-back, informal good time, as Ron, Adam, Big Jim and Felix gave the small audience of onlookers tunes and highlights to cheer to, and good music for me to munch on Belmar’s Cajun wings to. Again, a nice diversion on an otherwise bland Tuesday night in the Altoona area.

Felix Kos (with back towards the camera) sits in with Adam D and Big Jim at the Belmar.

Adam D.

”Big Jim” Ricotta.

Towards night’s end, Adam D, Ronny D and Big Jim.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 4/15/04

Yet another late Thursday night at the office resulted in my heading down the street to Peter C’s to unwind with Felix & the Hurricanes.

A good mid-sized crowd – including members of DaFunkt, Acid Reflux and a former Not Them Guy – was in the house as I entered before the start of the ‘Canes’ final set of the night. With both Kos brothers, Dick and Felix, on the stage again this night, the Hurricanes jammed on their reliable mix of classics, including tunes from the Marshall Tucker Band, James Gang, Allman Brothers, Ted Nugent, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. The group broke out one original song during this set, the popular “Walking A Straight Line” from Travelers Not Forgotten. Other set highlights included the group’s workout on Al Green’s “Take Me to the River,” with Felix and Dick swapping leads; the group’s “Dixie” lead-in kicking off Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps;” versions of Robin Trower’s “Too Rolling Stoned” and “Day of the Eagle;” and the finale rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man,” again with Felix and Dick blending tasty guitar leads.

As always, it was another Hurricanes clinic of top-notch musicianship. Felix and Dick’s guitars, Bob’s busy drumwork and Jeff’s bold and phat basswork played off one another; blending, surging and interweaving for continually dazzling displays that kept the Peter C’s crowd steadily happy and cheering.

Another service at the Hurricanes’ church of rock’n’roll was complete, and brothers Felix, Dick, Bob and Jeff left the Peter C’s congregation feeling spiritually uplifted by night’s end.

Churning out those tasty guitar harmonies, Dick and Felix Kos.

Belting out some lead voice, Jeff Clapper.

The lead ‘Cane, Felix Kos.

Dick Kos cranks out a solo.

Again, the brotherly duo of Dick and Felix Kos.

HALF TEMPTED @ RAMADA INN “GROUSE’S NEST,” ALTOONA 4/16/04

As you may recall, Half Tempted had been laying low over the past few months, as they seeked a replacement for longtime bassist Joe George. The group recently found that replacement in former Edison/Fuse/Silver Sunday stringbender P.J. Kelly. The group then announced another addition, former Outta Control/Banditos/Penetrator guitarist “Big Jim” Ricotta, who had been sitting in with Half Tempted ringleader Ron Dalansky and keyboard man Adam D. most Tuesdays at the Belmar Hotel. This night at the Altoona Ramada Inn Grouse’s Nest would be the premiere of Half Tempted’s new and expanded lineup.

It was also the premiere of live bands returning to the Ramada after a several-year layoff. The Ramada was pulling all the stops, with drink specials and a complimentary nacho bar. I grabbed myself a brew and some quick nachos, and set up shop to witness Half Tempted’s return.

Promptly at 10 PM, Half Tempted kicked off their new era with Free’s “All Right Now,” and proceeded to awaken the small, quiet Ramada crowd with rocking classics from Poison, Kiss, Brownsville Station, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith. The group steadily brought things back up to speed as the first set progressed. Eventually, Ron invited a guest to step up to the stage and sing – Denise “Neesey” Neely howled out the lead voice on AC/DC’s “Whole Lotta Rosie (’Neesey’).”

Half Tempted picked up tempo and steam in their second set, reconvening with Drivin’ n’Cryin’s “Fly Me Courageous,” and continuing with more classics from AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, George Thorogood and Judas Priest. The group played one newer number, 3 Doors Down’s “Kryptonite;” and ended the set on a slow note with Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight,” which drew a few couples onto the dance floor.

Half Tempted was doing a good job thus far. P.J. and Big Jim seemed to be fitting in comfortably with Ron and drummer Steve McCulley, and the new lineup appeared to be gelling well. A few more people filtered into the Ramada as the evening progressed, but attendance was still relatively light.

Chapter three of Half Tempted’s return began with the Greg Kihn Band’s “Break-Up Song,” and continued with more classics and favorites. This set featured tunes from Tommy Tutone, Eric Clapton, Ramones, Violent Femmes, Bad Company, the Who, Bob Seger and more. Denise Neely again stepped up to the lead mic late in the show to belt lead voice on AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell,” before Half Tempted drew the curtains on the night with REM’s “The One I Love.”

Attrition took its toll on the crowd, and folks started filtering out for the evening by midset, leaving the diehard rockers still in the house by evening’s end.

Overall, it was a steady, workmanlike performance from Half Tempted this night. Ron seemed to be directing things a little more slower and deliberately this night, to ease the new members into the Half Tempted scheme of things and to keep everyone on the same page. The result was a slightly conservative performance that didn’t try anything too fancy or frilly, and just stayed with basic midtempo rock’n’roll.

It wasn’t quite as exciting and fiery as the Joe George farewell gala in December, but Half Tempted turned the page with a steady, solid performance; a good start for the newest incarnation of this band that set a sturdy foundation to progress and develop from.

Half Tempted, unveiling their new line-up at the Ramada Grouse’s Nest.

Half Tempted, with guest Denise “Neesey” Neely belting out some AC/DC.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Again, Denise singing “Whole Lotta (Neesey).”

Half Tempted’s new bass man, P.J. Kelly.

The two newest members of Half Tempted, “Big Jim” Ricotta and P.J. Kelly.

Again, Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Again, “Big Jim” of Half Tempted.

AMPLIFIED HEET @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/17/04

I decided upon a doubleheader this night, beginning by catching up with the elusive Amplified Heet at Altoona’s Hitching Post.

Performing as a duo this night with harmonica man Adam Brown missing in action, singer/guitarist Jules Bianchini and bassist Andy Mathers were in the latter stages of their set when I arrived. The pair broke out a version of Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See,” and ended the set in a lighthearted vein with Jimmy Buffett’s “Why Don’t We Get Drunk.”

A decent-sized Saturday night crowd was already in attendance, and a number of my fellow Pellegrine’s Monday Night Wing-Eating Think Tank cohorts arrived and joined me at my table. This set the stage for some funny moments during Amplified Heet’s final set.

Jules and Andy resumed the music shortly with an original tune, “Sweet Cheeba,” with fan and guest Frank Cicciarella helping out on tambourine. The pair continued with loose and lighthearted renditions of tunes from Collective Soul, Tom Petty, Doors, Lou Reed, Cream, The Band, Puddle of Mudd, Paul Simon, Van Morrison and more. Along the way, some friendly bantering between Jules and the Wing Gang led to Jules proclaiming our table enclave as the new Altoona City Council. It’s about damn time!

Seriously, Amplified Heet were together on their instruments, with Andy nicely underscoring Jules with fluid work on his fretless bass. Jules was solid on his acoustic guitar stylings, while keeping things humorous and witty on the vocal end. Jules bantered with the Wing Gang and other Hitching Post fans, and kept the mood jovial the whole time I was there.

It was good to finally catch up with Amplified Heet, and discover yet another reason why the Altoona acoustic scene has been picking up steam in recent months.

Jules and Andy of Amplified Heet.

JUMPIN’ JACK FLASH @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 4/17/04

Stept On was originally scheduled to perform at City Limits this night, and this was to have been the group’s official CD-release party for their new 5-song EP, The Philadelphia Experiment. But circumstances beyond most of the band’s control resulted in the show being cancelled earlier in the week, and Claudio and City Limits scrambling for a substitute band. Rolling Stones tribute band Jumpin’ Jack Flash got the date, and Mick Jagger’s evil twin, Skip Stone, and his bandmates would make their first Altoona area appearance in many months.

As expected, Skip and guitarists Jay "Deadkeef" Gromiller and John McCloskey, bassist Dennis Clark and substitute drummer Jack Wilkinson played various selections from the Rolling Stones catalog. Arriving relatively late in the show, I only got to see six songs altogether. Deadkeef fronted the group with his best Keith Richards howl on “Happy.” Skip then got his ya-ya’s out the rest of the way, fronting the group on “Beast of Burden,” “Miss You,” “Shattered,” “Sympathy for the Devil” and “It’s Only Rock’n’Roll (But I Like It)” to end the night.

For a first time band at City Limits, the crowd wasn’t bad. I expected to see disappointed Stept On fans there to make the best of the night, but instead I saw a mid-sized crowd, including a number of folks who regularly support Jumpin’ Jack Flash during their rare local appearances. And the group proceeded to keep a number of these people busy on the dance floor for the duration of the show.

Overall, it was a satisfactory show. Skip was still Skip, mustering his best Mick swagger and working the stage like a pro. The rest of the band sounded solid, although perhaps not quite as crisp as other nights I have heard them. But it was still a respectable performance, and much of the crowd cheered their appreciation after each song.

Most of Jumpin’ Jack Flash’s activity has been outside of the area and state recently, and performances in their own backyard have been few and far between. This night, they showed they can still deliver the Rolling Stones experience, and still offer a good show sure to help you get your ya-ya’s out when they next hit town.

Mick Jagger’s evil twin, Skip Stone of Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

John McCloskey of Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

Getting their ya-ya’s out at City Limits, Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

Once again, the nefarious Skip Stone.

Skip and Deadkeef of Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

It’s only rock’n’roll but they like it; Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

Dennis Clark of Jumpin’ Jack Flash.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/18/04

Pellegrine’s again served as the setting to cap my weekend, as I checked in to see what party-rocking juggernaut Green Eggs was up to.

I arrived late in the second set, and Green Eggs had the party firing on all cylinders. Singer/keyboard man Brian Nicarry, singer/bassist Brad Nicarry, guitarist/singer Steve Nelson and drummer Doug Black put the packed Pelly’s dance floor through its workout with Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy,” Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer,” Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name” and a dance/funk/rap/hip-hop medley to end the set.

Pellegrine’s wasn’t as packed as usual for a Green Eggs show; perhaps due to warm spring weather this weekend that prompted a lot of outdoors activity through the region. Still, there were revelers in the house, and many of them stayed near the stage to await Green Eggs’ final chapter of the night.

After a brief intermission, Green Eggs picked up the party where they left off, resuming the action with Violent Femmes’ ever-popular “Blister In The Sun.” They jumped back to the early 70’s for the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back,” followed by another dance/funk/hip-hop medley. The group broke out Beastie Boys’ “Brass Monkey” and Tom Petty’s “American Girl,” before shifting it heavier for Rage’s “Killing In The Name” and Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.” With Brian given the honors of emulating the high falsetto, Green Eggs then performed The Darkness’ “I Believe in a Thing Called Love.” This gearshifted the show into a more 80’s rock-geared vibe, which Green Eggs closed the show with by doing Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again” and Guns’n’Roses’ “Welcome to the Jungle.”

As expected, Green Eggs did what they do best, churning out the tunes in an airtight, uptempo, grooving succession. They again mixed it up nicely between new and old, pop and heavy, dance groove and metal, and more. The group kept it fresh, platooning several songs in and out of the set since their last visit, and introducing at least one new song this night with the Darkness number.

Speaking with Steve Nelson after the show, I learned just how much homework Green Eggs does to keep their show fresh and maintain their success. This group not only is careful to vary their setlist from visit to visit at the same venue; they also study the tendencies of the crowd at each venue to determine what music works best in a given room. For example, Steve said that some of their rap and hip-hop material goes over better here at Pellegrine’s, but doesn’t fly as well in other venues and locations. Some other rooms lean more towards rock and metal, other rooms towards dance and oldies, etc. Steve’s explanation gave me a better appreciation of how Green Eggs sweats the details. The result of that, obviously, is Green Eggs’ continued status as one of the most in-demand live band parties in the Northeast.

Although attendance was slightly off this night, Green Eggs’ reliable, uptempo presentation and tight execution guaranteed that those who were in attendance were given a feverish party to finish their weekend with.

Sorry, Julie, this was the best I could do…Julie Ramsey wanted me to get a photo of her in front of Green Eggs, but people’s (and her own) elbows kept getting in the way…this is the best one I could muster.

In fact, Julie threatened to twist my head off if I didn’t comply.

Green Eggs brings the party to Pellegrine’s.

Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Green Eggs’ drum man, Doug Black.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: