· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 4/26/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Jun 06, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 4/26/04

JOHN SOLINSKI & KEN KARLHEIM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/22/04

This weekend kicked off in an acoustic vein, as I headed to Altoona’s Hitching Post to see what the dynamic duo of John Solinski and Ken Karlheim was up to.

A small-ish, happy audience was on hand as John and Kenny mixed up unplugged favorites old and new. Kenny was singing, pickin’ and grinnin’ out his version of Charlie Daniels’ “Devil Went Down to Georgia” as I arrived. Kenny then sang lead on the Monkees’ “I’m a Believer,” and the duo continued with favorites from Blind Melon, Marshall Tucker Band, Steve Miller Band, Dave Matthews, Doobie Brothers, Violent Femmes and more. Highlights during this set included Marshall Tucker’s “Can’t You See,” with Trace Moran Band bassist Tim Kelly contributing bottom end and Hitching Post main man Butch singing backing vocals; the Foundations’ “Build Me Up Buttercup” (the Dennis Stahl theme song), with Hitching Post hostess Faith helping on vocals when the Post’s resident wildman, Dennis Stahl, refused; and Acid Reflux/Flame Sky bassman Matt Burns sitting in for the last half of the set.

As expected, John and Kenny (and guests) were delivering the good time. Their presentation was friendly and lighthearted, but backed by skillful fretboard work by both performers. Both voices were in fine form; John even tackled Melissa Etheridge’s high range on “I’m The Only One.”

The nightcap set was equally freewheeling, as John, Kenny and Matt Burns played tunes from the Indigo Girls, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Green Day, Jimmy Eats World, John Mellencamp and more. Highlights included the tasty harmonies on Indigo Girls’ “Closer to Fine;” some comic relief with a version of “Momma’s Got Her Boobs Out” from the Bob & Tom Show; and the finale version of the Eagles’ “Hotel California,” with the Hitching Post’s Faith again singing lead voice.

It was a friendly, casual, kick-back-and-forget-the-troubles-of-the-day type party; as John and Kenny kept the mood happy and the music crisp. It was a fun kickoff to the weekend, and more evidence of why John and Kenny’s popularity continues to rise on area acoustic stages.

Ken Karlheim and John Solinski.

Ken, John, and guest Matt Burns.

Adding a little acid reflux to the musical menu, Matt Burns.

Ken Karlheim.

The Hitching Post’s own Faith staffs the lead microphone, next to guest Matt Burns.

In yer face, Kenny and John.

Once again, Kenny and John, with Faith and Matt Burns.

FRIDAY’S CHILD @ CASTLE PUB, EBENSBURG 4/23/04

It had been quite a while since I had seen western PA’s best-kept party band secret, Friday’s Child. But the planets finally aligned correctly, and I headed up the hill to the Castle Pub in Ebensburg to see what this coed party force was up to.

I arrived late in the first set, in time to see the group finish the set with their version of Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell.” A medium-sized crowd was present; less than what usually populates the Castle Pub during this band’s appearances. The culprit? “The crowd” was reportedly at Ebensburg’s other nightclub, Yesterday’s Party, for that newest of banes which competes with the live music experience for bodies through the door – the mechanical bull. Yes, some people were bypassing Friday’s Child’s performance this night to pay money for the privilege of getting tossed from the back of a robotic bovine. What a bunch of bull. Literally.

After intermission, Friday’s Child resumed the action onstage. Frontlady Amy Demi sang the opening lines to Evanescence’s “Bring Me to Life,” before the rest of the band – guitarist/singer Denny Bondra and the husband/wife rhythm section of bassist Roger and drummer Sharon Oaks – joined in and brought things quickly to a rocking crescendo. Quickly I was again reminded of Amy’s incredible vocal power and range – her voice can easily reach the heavens, and has enough strength to hand around up there for a while. Amy’s voice can also demonstrate some grit when necessary, evidenced next on Friday’s Child’s version of the Jets’ “Are You Gonna Be My Girl.” The group continued to fire off current, 80’s and 90’s rocking favorites, including tunes from The Outfield, Beastie Boys, House Of Pain, Limp Bizkit, Bangles, Metallica and more. Amy handled most of the lead vocal duties, and proved she could match aggression with the boys on Limp Bizkit’s “Breakstuff” and “Rollin,’” and the set-ending version of Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.” Denny would spot Amy a break periodically, doing respectable work singing Nickelback’s “Figured You Out” and several other tunes. House soundman Red Solinski sat in behind the drum kit on Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” and the aforementioned “Bodies.”

Speaking of Red, he had Friday’s Child sounding crystal clear, balanced and powerful. Amy’s voice was nicely on top of the mix, clear and understandable; and the band’s other components could be clearly and equally heard in the mix. Definitely Redawg knows what he is doing behind the sound console.

As Friday’s Child’s set progressed, another trait with this night’s audience became apparent – besides being a smaller crowd, this was a quiet crowd, not making a whole lot of noise for Friday’s Child’s performance thus far. Hopefully that would change during the third set.

Friday’s Child reconvened with the Ataris/Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer,” and continued with tunes from Stone Temple Pilots, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Smile Empty Soul, Nirvana and more. Amy again demonstrated her power and range on the Cranberries’ “Zombie,” and showed more convincing vocal aggression on Linkin Park’s “One Step Closer.” Denny provided Amy’s vocal relief by singing lead on Godsmack’s “Keep Away” and Smile Empty Soul’s “Bottom of a Bottle.”

Unfortunately, the Castle Pub audience never broke out of their quiet funk; and at night’s end – although the dance floor was busy – only a handful of people bothered to cheer for more. So the group’s set-closing edition of Nirvana’s “Heart Shaped Box” served as the finale.

At least I was impressed. Friday’s Child put on a strong, sharp performance. Again, Amy Demi proved her credentials as one of the most powerful frontwomen in the state with her top-notch blend of range, strength and intensity. Instrumentally the band was tight behind her, and kept the show moving forward at a good clip. Crowd size and enthusiasm might have been off this night, but Friday’s Child again proved to me why they have become a monthly Castle Pub favorite. Definitely make a point to catch these guys and gals sometime, you won’t be disappointed!

Friday’s Child rocks the Castle Pub.

Soundman Red takes his turn behind Friday’s Child’s drum kit.

Once again, Redawg behind the kit.

Amy Demi of Friday’s Child.

Denny Bondra of Friday’s Child.

Sharon Oaks of Friday’s Child.

The female half of Friday’s Child, Amy Demi and Sharon Oaks.

Again, Amy Demi of Friday’s Child.

Roger Oaks of Friday’s Child.

Once more with feeling, Amy Demi of Friday’s Child.

Sharon Oaks and Denny Bondra of Friday’s Child.

In the audience and rocking with Friday’s Child, former Q94 2003 Calendar Girl Dawn (on the right) and her mom.

JOHN McKNIGHT BENEFIT w/3 BROKEN DOLLS/RUNNING WITH SCISSORS/DAFUNKT/PNEUMATIC/DRIVEN @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 4/24/04

As you may recall, after the success of the Rockpage Benefit Jam in January, there was ample talk about sequels and subsequent benefits to help out former Altoona musician John McKnight. The first of those to actually materialize was at the same setting as the January benefit, Peter C’s. After initial confusion over the actual date of the event and who would be involved, this night was selected, and five bands volunteered their talents to help raise additional funds to help John McKnight.

Primarily due to my work schedule and an overdue Pennsylvania Musician article that needed finished, I got a late start to the benefit, and missed the first two bands, 3 Broken Dolls and Running with Scissors. I arrived during the intermission between the latter and DaFunkt, and would be able to witness DaFunkt, PnEumatic and Driven. A decent-sized crowd was in the house; attendance could have been better given this was a benefit, but considering that Velveeta and Hair Force One were both playing elsewhere in town, this still wasn’t a bad attendance.

This would be my first time seeing DaFunkt since that January benefit, so I would get to witness how far they had progressed since that initial onstage debut. The trio – singer/guitarist Aric Sponsler, bassist Jay Brown and drummer Iceman – fired off a set of mostly punk-fueled funk original songs, with a few select covers thrown in. The original tunes featured fast, driving rhythms courtesy of Iceman’s blasting beats and Jay’s bass, topped by Aric’s understated vocals and often fiery and intense guitarwork. I didn’t catch song titles on the original tunes, but one song featured an interesting midsong reggae-flavored break. The trio also broke out versions of Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love” and White Stripes’ “Seven Man Army.” DaFunkt seems to be coming along well; their tunes seem to be developing nicely, and their presentation was more confident this night than in January. There were a couple minor miscues, but nothing fatal, and overall, the group gave a solid effort.

DaFunkt lays down the hard-hitting grooves at Peter C’s.

Aric Sponsler of DaFunkt.

Jay Brown of DaFunkt.

The Iceman of DaFunkt cometh…

Next up with PnEumatic. As expected, this foursome delivered what they specialize in, ample amounts of Tool, Pink Floyd and a few originals. After two of the group’s progressive modern metal-leaning originals opened the set, PnEumatic launched into Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb,” during which guitarist Colton Fouse went to town with some scorching soloing and a variety of guitar effects. Colton, Chris Cramer, Scott and Woo then went full tilt on several Tool songs, including “Prison Sex,” “Stinkfist,” “Eulogy” and “Opiate.” The group’s execution was rigid and on the money, and their intensity level grew with each song. Colton’s guitar displays grew bolder with each tune, and by set’s end, PnEumatic had logged one of the strongest sets I have witnessed from them yet; at least as strong as their set at the January Rockpage benefit.

PnEumatic continues the music at the John McKnight Benefit.

Chris Cramer of PnEumatic.

Once again, PnEumatic.

Colton Fouse of PnEumatic.

Once again, Colton of PnEumatic.

Woo of PnEumatic.

Once again, Woo of PnEumatic.

Up until this point, at least while I was there, I hadn’t heard any of the bands mention that this was a benefit, or who the benefit was for. At least one other observer mentioned this to me, and I thought about it some – given the relatively new and younger makeup of the bands and musicians involved in this show, I wondered how many people at Peter C’s this night (outside of Big John, Jody K and the Peter C’s regulars) had ever met or seen John McKnight? In a sense, it was cool that these bands were donating their time and talents to help a musician most had probably only read about and had never met or seen. Up until Driven had taken the stage, though, nobody had mentioned John and what the benefit was actually helping out.

But early in their set, Driven frontman James Musselman did mention John McKnight and his plight (he had it mostly right, except that John had relocated to Atlanta, not Nashville). Driven – reunited with former drummer Bob Frye since I last saw them – capped the evening with their set of mostly hard-hitting current rock, including tunes from Staind, Alice In Chains, Breaking Benjamin, Tool, Disturbed, Godsmack, Smile Empty Soul and more. The group included a few side journeys along the way, including their breakneck version of Ben E. King’s chestnut “Stand By Me;” their first new original song since regrouping several months ago, “Live Once More;” and to end the night and appease the dancefloor crowd, Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music.” Driven appeared to be more confident and on target with Bob back in the saddle behind the kit, and their execution and pacing seemed to be stronger. And the arrival of a new original song was a good sign that Driven was moving forward again; hopefully more new original songs are on the way.

In all, this was a pretty good evening, and at least some money was raised for John McKnight. And given that many of these musicians probably had not ever seen or met John before, it was encouraging that the area music community still pulled together to help one of their own.

Driven provides the rocking nightcap to the John McKnight Benefit.

James Musselman of Driven.

Mike Snyder of Driven.

Driven gets the fans headbanging at Peter C’s.

Bob Frye of Driven.

14TH ANNUAL “CRAZY FEST” AMATEUR TALENT SHOW @ GREENWOOD FIREHALL, ALTOONA 4/25/04

Over the years, Dennie Huber’s annual “Crazy Fest” Amateur Talent Show has become one of those temporal markers for me, officially establishing that spring has arrived each year. Since 1990, the last Sunday in April has been the setting for Dennie’s annual showcase of area talent.

For most of its first decade, “Crazy Fest” took place at the former A&J IAIA American Legion Post in Altoona, and during those years was a showcase for amateur talent of all ages, young and old. But in recent years, Dennie decided to devote the event to showcasing young area amateur talent, and set the maximum age limit for entrants and performers to 21. And after the A&J Post closed its doors a few years ago, the Greenwood Firehall has become the yearly home for “Crazy Fest.”

Every year usually sees an increase in the number of young performers entering and performing. This year, though, the number was slightly down, from over 50 performers last year to near 40 this year. Early in the show, Dennie cited the fact that Altoona Community Theater was staging their production of Peter Pan at the Mishler Theatre this weekend, and that a number of young performers – who might otherwise had been involved in this year’s “Crazy Fest” – were involved in that production and couldn’t attend.

Since I was videotaping this year’s “Crazy Fest” for Pennsylvania Musician (who was co-sponsoring the amateur band division of the event along with Q94; I wanted Whitey and Robin to see what happens at this event every year), I didn’t take notes on all of the competitors who took part; but I can recap winners and highlights along the way…

As Dennie explained, the breakdown of the entrants each year determines the actual age divisions of the contest, and he reserves the right to make adjustments to those age divisions to assure that more entrants come away with at least some hardware at the end of the day for their efforts. The first, second and third place winners in each division won trophies and awards.

Since there was only one entrant in the 4-6-year-old division, 6-year-old Sarah Donnelly won the top (and only) honor in that division with her dance routine. Sarah’s older sister, Lauren, won top honors in the age 7-9 division.

The number of entrants increased as “Crazy Fest” approached the teen divisions. In the 10-12-year-old category, Abby Bingman of Lewistown captured top honors for her singing performance. Abby’s efforts also netted her other hardware as well, including the “Fan Favorite” trophy for individual contestants (as voted on by the audience), as well as the “Future Star” honors for age 14 and under (given to the contestant the judging panel feels has the most potential to rise to bigger and better things in the entertainment realm).

The 13-14 year-old division featured a number of talented youngsters. Wheelchair-bound Megan Ritchey of Altoona captured the judges’ hearts (and the audience’s as well) with her heartfelt performance of Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the U.S.A.” Megan would also win the Typhani Russo “TNT” (Top Notch Talent) award, which Typhani and her family award to the performer who reaches down for that added extra during their performance.

Megan Ritchey captures the hearts of the audience with her gutsy “Crazy Fest” performance.

In the 15-year-old division, Davey Keller of Altoona, donning a cowboy hat, won the division singing a country song. In the 16-17-year-old division, Caitlin Baker of Altoona, also a singer, won; Caitlin would also win the Typhani Russo “Broadway Bound” award.

Davey Keller of Altoona, crooning some country at “Crazy Fest.”

As it was last year, the 18-19-year-old division was strong once again, with Roaring Spring’s Angela Dodson edging Autumn Shiffler of Altoona (daughter of veteran area frontman Steve Shiffler) for top honors. Both ladies demonstrated remarkable singing voices and styles on their respective country songs. I sincerely hope both continue to pursue singing careers, as I see big potential for both!

Angela Dodson, with her winning performance.

Autumn Shiffler, also putting in an excellent performance.

And the 20-21-year-old division finished in a dead heat, as Biranda Goodman and Anthony Harrison tied for first place with their respective R&B-styled displays. Both are members of 42N81 (formerly SingNature, last year’s “Crazy Fest” amateur band winner), and both again displayed incredible voices on their respective songs. These two would also team up to perform in the duo/group category, and they won top honors there. Anthony also won the “Future Star” award for ages 15 and over. Also excellent was “Crazy Fest” veteran Don Hughes, in his final year of eligibility to compete – Don again showed some great skills on his solo keyboard display.

Anthony Harrison, crooning some R&B.

Biranda Goodman with her incredible performance.

In his final year of “Crazy Fest” competition, Don Hughes. Don indicated he would like to be a judge at future “Crazy Fest” events.

With a smaller field overall, the amateur band division this year only saw two entrants, Fake With a Saint and Past Curfew. This year sponsored by Q94 and Pennsylvania Musician, the winning band won Pennsylvania Musician T-shifts and a guest appearance on a future edition of Q94’s “Backyard Rocker.” Fake With a Saint, a trio based out of Roosevelt Junior High School (and featuring Ed Longo, Jr.; son of Infused drummer Ed Longo), took top honors with their rocking original song. Past Curfew performed as a two-person acoustic duo, and also did a respectable job on their song. In addition to capturing top honors in the amateur band division, Fake With a Saint also won the “Fan Favorite” award in the band category (as voted by the audience).

Giving their performance, “Crazy Fest” amateur band winners Fake With a Saint.

Proudly wearing their Pennsylvania Musician T-shirts, Fake With a Saint.

The band division runners-up, Past Curfew acoustic duo.

As always, “Crazy Fest” saw several exhibition performers, as several past “Crazy Fest” winners returned to perform. This year’s slate of exhibition talent included Typhani Russo, who sang the National Anthem to kick things off; fair/festival circuit country singers Elaini Arthur and Crystal Marie; and teenaged drum prodigy Aaron Kimmel, who showcased an unbelievable drum solo display before Dennie Huber began to hand out the awards.

In exhibition, former “Crazy Fest” winner and favorite Crystal Marie.

Putting on a drum clinic, Aaron Kimmel.

A former drummer himself, “Crazy Fest” organizer/emcee Dennie Huber is clearly enjoying Aaron Kimmel’s drum exhibition.

Another good-sized audience, featuring families, friends, and fans of local talent, cheered on all of the contestants and supported their efforts. And as Dennie Huber promised at the beginning of the event, “Crazy Fest” proudly stayed away from the American Idol type talent show, and encouraged – and never discouraged – the young performers who stepped onstage. The 14th annual “Crazy Fest” again allowed young performers to step onstage and strut their stuff. Hopefully many of these youngsters will continue to develop their talents, and become the local – and perhaps, national or international – entertainers of tomorrow. Hats off to Dennie Huber for his continued support and encouragement of young talent, all the volunteers who judged, ran sound, and/or otherwise helped to put this year’s “Crazy Fest” on, and to all of the families, friends and fans who came out to show their support.

BACKSTREET LAW @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/25/04

My weekend drew to a close at Pellegrine’s, with Backstreet Law making their latest visit.

The group was well into their second set before a large Pellegrine’s crowd as I arrived around midnight. Second set highlights included an 80’s hair-band medley; performances of Backstreet Law originals “Sharks” and the raunchy and popular “Seatbelt;” and the Metallica double-shot of “Enter Sandman” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls” to close out the set.

Backstreet Law sounded in expected good form this night. Jamie Morral’s bass was sounding monstrous, arguably the most menacing bass sound currently happening on this state’s stages. Frontman Goody was confidently belting out the voice and bantering with the crowd. Guitarist Jeremy Edge showed ample skill on solos, slidework, raunch chords and more, while drummer Choke backed it all with his ever-hefty beats.

Backstreet Law’s nightcap set kicked off with the title track from the group’s last studio album, Hollow; and continued through a variety of sounds. The group tapped the classic rock spectrum with versions of Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker” and George Thorogood’s “Bad to the Bone;” ventured into popular party terrain with Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun,” veered into Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” revisited the hair-band 80’s with Motley Crue’s “Girls Girls Girls,” before ending things on a heavy note with Pantera’s “Walk.” With a number of stagefront fans loudly chanting the title, Backstreet Law encored with an original song, the rowdy “Hockey Helmet.” Definitely it was cool to see people demanding an ORIGINAL song for the encore!

Backstreet Law successfully slammed the lid on the weekend, with the appropriate rowdy and rocking party. The mood in camp Backstreet Law is excited these days, as they await the arrival of their new 3-song EP, and look forward to showcasing on the second stage of this year’s Rolling Rock Town Fair in Latrobe July 31.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: