· The Final Cut
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND RECAP 6/1/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jul 03, 2004 

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND RECAP 6/1/04

MEGHAN AND MATT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/27/04

Pellegrine’s introduced acoustic music on Thursdays for a trial basis this night, with aspiring young acoustic duo Meghan and Matt.

I had wanted to arrive earlier to see this duo, but day job duties intervened, and the pair were on their last songs as I arrived. Meghan sang lead vocals on versions of Don McLean’s “American Pie” and Simon & Garfunkel’s “Mrs. Robinson” to end the night. But when some seated fans and family members demanded more, the pair did two more songs, Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” with Matt singing lead, and the Beatles’ “Blackbird.”

What I heard from this duo sounded good. Meghan displayed a rangeful and smooth singing voice, and Matt was steady on the guitar. For their first night at Pellegrine’s, the pair appeared slightly timid, but showed nonetheless that they have some talent. Although not crowded, the onlookers in attendance at Pelly’s cheered approval for Meghan and Matt. Hopefully I’ll get to see this pair again soon while their stint at Pellegrine’s continues, and I’ll try to get there earlier next time.

BANDITOS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 5/27/04

From Pellegrine’s, I headed over the hill to the Hitching Post to do some Thursday Bandito-ing, and my first of two encounters with Banditos this weekend.

It was a fairly routine night at the Hitching Post, not crowded but not empty either. Onstage, Banditos were rocking and rolling, with former Bandito “Big Jim” Ricotta helping out on guitar while Phil Wagner spotted Dave Russell a break behind the drum kit. “Billy Bandito” Nusom was belting out “Beer Belly Blues” as I arrived, and the group continued to mix it up between current and classic rock favorites. The group veered into a more acoustic-geared direction for a few songs, performing versions of Stone Temple Pilots’ “Interstate Love Song,” Five Man Electrical Band/Tesla’s “Signs,” James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain” and Dr. Hook’s “Cover of the Rolling Stone.” With Hitching Post main man Butch in the house, Banditos adapted Wilson Pickett’s ever-popular “Mustang Sally” into “Buttcheek Butchy." The group proceeded to pick up the tempo as they continued with songs from Foo Fighters, Tonic, Metallica, Nickelback, Wild Cherry, Black Crowes, Violent Femmes, Clash, Incubus and more. The group had built a good head of steam by the time they reached the set’s finale, ZZ Top’s “Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers.” The Hitching Post crowd wanted more, so the Banditos tacked on Styx’s “Blue Collar Man” and The Who’s “Behind Blue Eyes” for the encore.

Banditos were in good form this night. The group was instrumentally on the money, and their voices and vocal harmonies were connecting as well. It was a typically solid Banditos performance, and the Hitching Post audience appreciated it.

Banditos, rocking down the Hitching Post.

Darrell Ruzzi of Banditos.

Again, Banditos rocking at the Hitching Post.

Wally Archer of Banditos.

RELAY FOR LIFE BENEFIT w/EVER SINCE YESTERDAY/DEVIANCE/WAKE UP SCREAMING @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 5/28/04

This Memorial Day holiday weekend also turned into a Relay for Life benefit weekend in the Altoona area, as two different Relay for Life benefit events took place to help out the American Cancer Society. This night, the benefit was at Peter C’s, and featured three of this region’s top heavy-hitters – Wake Up Screaming, Deviance and Ever Since Yesterday. Day job duties and an early start time prevented me from catching Ever Since Yesterday’s set, but I arrived during Deviance’s set and got to witness Johnstown metal in full force.

Peter C’s wasn’t very crowded at this point – surprising, given this was a benefit show. But a good number of fans were on the dance floor to headbang and cheer as Deviance mixed original tunes with metal favorites. The group did several numbers from their newly released debut CD, Contagion, including “Tripwire” and “Burn;” they also introduced a new song not on the CD. Deviance also scorched the oxides off Peter C’s innards with select tunes from Nine Inch Nails, Coal Chamber, Slayer, System of a Down and Metallica. Deviance was in fairly good form, with bassist Chad Straw, guitarist Jason Straw and drummer Mike Torchia laying down the terse, rumbling backdrop; and frontman Eric Voeghtly riding the fine line between melodic crooning and spleen-venting eruptions. Deviance’s overall execution was essentially tight, and their presentation was volatile and hammering. Jason’s guitar could have been a touch louder in the mix, but overall this was still a strong set and made its impact with the Peter C’s audience.

Wake Up Screaming then capped the evening with two molten metal sets of their own. Slowed by a knee injury, guitarist Rich Johnson was propped on a stool for much of the set; but this didn’t dampen his guitar ability, as Rich’s chords and solos decisively sliced and shredded this night. Kicking off with Tool’s “Sober” and Rage Against the Machine’s “Freedom,” Wake up Screaming was clearly fired up to be on the stage, with frontman Bryan Gisewhite taking immediate control; aided by Rich, bassist Adam Zimmer and drummer Jim Bagrosky and their explosive onslaught. The set continued with tunes from Helmet, Suicidal Tendencies, the group’s Metallica medley and more Rage. Eric from Deviance then stepped onstage to assist with vocals on Chevelle’s “Red.” Not to be outdone, Chad from Deviance then took the stage to contribute his Lemmy-ish vo-kills to “Ace of Spades,” before Wake Up Screaming arrived at intermission with Pantera’s “Five Minutes Alone.”

Wake Up Screaming’s nightcap set was equally explosive and a bit more modern-flavored, as the group fired off metal from Static X, System of a Down, Godsmack, Tool, Korn, original songs and more. The group kept it intense and fiery, and the metal fans (primarily ladies this night) kept it intense at stagefront – perhaps a little too intense, as a near catfight was thwarted late in the show.

Overall, good efforts from all three bands (eyewitness accounts gave Ever Since Yesterday thumbs up, since I didn’t arrive in time to see them myself) this night. I was a little disappointed in the attendance, but figured the holiday weekend itself probably provided a number of diversions and competition to draw people away from attending this night. But it was still a good time, and for fans of metal, it was definitely a show well worth attending.

Deviance spreads their contagion throughout Peter C’s.

Eric Voeghtly of Deviance.

Chad Straw of Deviance.

More Deviance behavior at Peter C’s.

A member of Deviance Nation helps Chad with backing vokills.

Deviance continues to drop the hammer on Peter C’s.

Bryan Gisewhite of Wake Up Screaming.

Chell and Danette, having a chair-dancing good time at Peter C’s.

Adam Zimmer of Wake Up Screaming.

Bryan and Adam of Wake Up Screaming keep the fans rocking.

Jim Bagrosky of Wake Up Screaming.

Eric from Deviance cranks up the throat with Wake Up Screaming.

Chad from Deviance takes his turn furnishing additional vokills for Wake Up Screaming.

Wake Up Screaming continues their assault.

Once again, Adam Zimmer of Wake Up Screaming.

Once again, Jim Bagrosky of Wake Up Screaming.

Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

Once again, Bryan Gisewhite of Wake Up Screaming.

Once again, Rich Johnson of Wake Up Screaming.

One more time, Jim Bagrosky of Wake Up Screaming.

RELAY FOR LIFE BENEFIT w/SILVER SUNDAY/SCREAM/HAIR FORCE ONE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 5/29/04

This night’s Relay for Life festivities shifted to City Limits, for another three-band bill featuring Silver Sunday and the hair-metal extravaganza of Scream and Hair Force One.

Arriving early, I was able to procure a table and witness all three bands in their entirety. Silver Sunday soon kicked things off, mixing alternative and 80’s favorites with their own distinct flavor. Typical of Silver Sunday, the group’s set picked up momentum as it went along; with frontlady Cathie, guitarists Jason Wechs and Buck Dickson, bassist Steve Seymore and drummer Todd Harshbarger finding their rhythm and going for broke. Highlights included Silver Sunday’s playful ska take on Dexy’s Midnight Runners’ “Come On Eileen,” the Buck-fronted double-shot of Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself” into Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend,” Cathie’s feisty treatment of Scandal’s “The Warrior” and more. It was a fun and spirited set that loosened up the audience; and Silver Sunday succeeded in getting some people onto the dance floor late into the set.

Although not packed, a healthy mid-sized crowd had assembled at City Limits to rock and support the cause, including the ‘Pickle & Cheese Girls,’ Cindy and Carmen, and number of avid 80’s metal fans and more.

Soon, Scream took the stage to shift things into 80’s rock mode. Opening with Warrant’s “Down Boys,” Scream fired off 80’s (and a few 70’s) hard rock favorites from Skid Row, AC/DC, The Cult, Kix, Kiss, Motley Crue, Grand Funk Railroad, Bulletboys, the Scorpions and more. Singer Jeff Hoover set out to fire the party up, striding back and forth across the stage and beckoning fans to step up to the dance floor. His voice was in good shape this night, reaching for and achieving the sky fairly often. Guitarists Ed Miller and Skip Henry were on the money as well, nailing their solos with accuracy and teaming for clean harmony guitar leads. Ed also made use of the talkbox during Scream’s rendition of the Scorpions’ “The Zoo.” Drummer Mike Dooley and bassist Robert Port anchored the sound with lean, tight rhythms and a decent mix on the soundboard to bring that thunder forth. Scream stepped up the intensity level and energy further, and had ignited a lively, hard-rocking party for Hair Force One to continue.

Hair Force One picked up where Scream left off, with their full-blown celebration of ‘the decade of decadence.’ Kicking off with Guns’n’Roses’ “Welcome to the Jungle,” Hair Force One provided City Limits with their own edition of Headbangers Ball, firing off tunes from Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Poison, Twisted Sister, Faster Pussycat, Def Leppard, Great White, AC/DC and more. Frontman Victor Synn’s voice too was in good form this night, blending equal parts melody, range and grit. Guitarists Michael J. Cox and Jimi Hatt, bassist Iva Biggin and drummer Hugh G. Rection found their groove early on and maintained it for the set’s duration, luring headbangers and dancers alike back onto the dance floor. It was a good, strong set; leaving the crowd demanding more at night’s end (Hair Force One accommodated that request with Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name”).

In all, this was another good party in the name of Relay for Life, with all three bands making strong showings. Although the crowd could have been a bit larger in support of a benefit, at least some coin was raised in the fight against cancer – ultimately a good thing.

Jason Wechs and Steve Seymore of Silver Sunday.

Cathie and Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Silver Sunday kicks off the fun at City Limits.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Once again, Silver Sunday lights things up at City Limits.

Scream puts pedal to the metal at City Limits.

Ed Miller of Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream beckons the crowd to get loud.

Once again, Scream continues the party at City Limits.

Again, Ed Miller of Scream.

Again, Jeff Hoover of Scream.

Jeff Hoover of Scream and the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse.

Celebrating the Decade of Decadence, Hair Force One.

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

Getting crazy with the fans, Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Keeping the fans happy, Hair Force One.

Jimi Hatt of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Again, Jimi Hatt of Hair Force One.

“BUTCHFEST” w/BANDITOS & FRIENDS, PORTAGE 5/30/04

My Sunday night radio programming pre-recorded this week (thanks to modern technology), I was free to start celebrating my Memorial Day holiday. After watching what little of the Indianapolis 500 I could before the rain delay (Indy is my favorite singular sporting event of the year, I make a point never to miss it), wheelman “Big Jim” Ricotta and I were off to a private party, hosted at the estate of Hitching Post main man Butch. Food, beer on tap, and live band entertainment courtesy of Banditos and a number of guests – what more do you need for a holiday get-together?

Before I elaborate further on “Butchfest,” a word about the Butch estate, located on a hilltop outside of Portage – INCREDIBLE! Butch gave me a tour of his abode, which he and his wife designed and built themselves. He designed the house to be solar-heated. It’s designed so that the house faces the sun at three angles; morning, midday and evening. The largest portion of the house – with lots of window space to capture sunlight – faces the sun in its noontime direction. Butch told me he actually uses his air conditioner more during the winter than in summer, that is how effective this design heats his home in winter. The Johnstown Tribune-Democrat even did a feature on Butch’s solar-heated home (a copy of the article is framed and hanging on a wall inside the home). As somebody who can hardly saw a board or hammer a nail straight, I was floored by what Butch and his wife have done here! And the price tag Butch quoted for both his house and property was amazing as well! It definitely pays to know how to do a house D.I.Y., ‘nuff said!

Back to “Butchfest” – since this was an informal, private party, I left my notepad in the car and my only notes were mental ones. After Infused opened the afternoon prior to my arrival, Banditos provided the rocking soundtrack to this picnic/party, with cameo appearances throughout the afternoon and evening from a variety of guests. Randy “Jackson” Rutherford dazzled on saxophone, guitar and bass; also helping out were “Big Jim,” Jeff “Lone Wolf” Renner (the rest of his digital ‘band’ stayed home), Steve Shiffler, Duane “Appliance Outlet” Sipe and more.

A number of Hitching Post staff, regulars and friends were in attendance. The food and brews were good, and it was a very good, relaxing time. Shortly after the band packed it in after sunset, “Big Jim” and I headed back down the mountain. Thanks again Butch for the invitation and the hospitality!

Bill Nusom of Banditos.

Darrell Ruzzi and Bill Nusom of Banditos.

Once again, Bill Nusom of Banditos.

Musician extraordinaire, Randy “Jackson” Rutherford.

Yacking on sax, Randy Rutherford.

Garage days revisited, Banditos with “Big Jim” Ricotta.

Dave Russell of Banditos.

Having a good time at “Butchfest,” Iceman of Infused, Phil Wagner of Banditos and Bill Fischer of Infused.

TIN PAN ALLEY @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/30/04

Hooking up with “Big Jim” at Pellegrine’s for the ride up to Butchfest served two purposes – it provided me with the ride up to Butch’s, since I had never been there before and didn’t know exactly where his estate was; and it also enabled me to secure a parking space at Pelly’s early for what is always one of Pelly’s busiest and most insane nights of the year, the Memorial Day eve bash. And as expected, Pelly’s was jam-packed and a mass of humanity as Big Jim dropped me off; at least this year I wouldn’t have to agonize searching for a parking space!

Inside Pelly’s, it was jam-packed, and anywhere from the bar out to the dance floor felt like a sauna due to the crush of people. I decided I didn’t want to take on the mass of humanity just yet, so I procured my first brew and listened to Tin Pan Alley from afar, in the relatively lightly-populated area near Pelly’s rear door entrance.

Shortly into Tin Pan Alley’s second set, though, sudden circumstances prompted my quick move to the stagefront area. A fight broke out near the main bar (three idiots who entered Pelly’s rather quickly apparently had a target in mind, went in and made their hit, and with an angry woman chasing them out the door, made their exit with some assistance from Pelly’s security). As the action threatened the tranquility of the door area where I was seated, I made a hasty retreat into the band room.

Anticipating the heavy holiday crowd, Pellegrine’s actually cleared tables out of the center of the room, making for a wide aisle that made access to the stagefront area a lot easier. Tin Pan Alley had a good party under way, as they fired through a set of current and classic rock favorites. Frontlady Chrissy excitedly worked the stagefront area and was clearly having fun. She and Tin Pan Alley played a wide variety of favorites, spanning Cherry Poppin’ Daddies’ “Zoot Suit Riot” to Ozzy’s “Crazy Train;” from Ugly Kid Joe’s “Everything About You” to Chumbawumba’s “Tubthumpin’” (sung by guitarist Doug); and from Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock’n’Roll” to Evanescence’s “Bring Me to Life,” which ended the set.

This was my second opportunity to see Tin Pan Alley perform; the first time was last year at the 4D’s Lounge, shortly after Chrissy had joined the band and replaced the previous singer. Chrissy has clearly settled into her role as frontlady; she seemed more confident and poised this night, and sang with enthusiasm, power and clarity. On the instrumental end, guitarist Doug, keyboard man Scott, bassist Craig and drummer Joe kept the backdrop tight, fast-firing and lively. Tin Pan Alley maintained a good balance between their variety of material, and kept a tight, upbeat pace with few pauses between songs. This group was demonstrating why they are one of eastern PA's top party machines.

Tin Pan Alley's last set of the evening closed the deal, with more nonstop favorites from Guns'n'Roses, Beastie Boys, Good Charlotte, No Doubt, Wild Cherry, Alanis Morisette, Bush, Blink 182, 311 and more. Almost the whole set was uptempo and kept the dance floor busy; with Tin Pan Alley only slowing things down once, ending the night with 4 Non Blondes' "What's Up."

With the exception of the fight, Pellegrine's large audience was relatively well-behaved and had fun. That wasn't unexpected, given the good-time vibes Tin Pan Alley was presenting on the stage this night. In all, a good blowout to usher in Memorial Day with.

Doug of Tin Pan Alley.

Tin Pan Alley gets them dancing at Pellegrine’s.

Once again, Doug of Tin Pan Alley with a bunch of happy fans.

Tin Pan Alley keeps the party going.

Chrissy of Tin Pan Alley.

Again, Chrissy of Tin Pan Alley.

Craig of Tin Pan Alley.

Joe of Tin Pan Alley.

Once again, Chrissy of Tin Pan Alley.

Scott of Tin Pan Alley.

RUSH @ POST-GAZETTE PAVILION AT STAR LAKE, BURGETTSTOWN 5/31/04

For over two-thirds of my life thus far, Canadian power trio Rush has been making music. Up until now, though, I have never seen this legendary band live and in concert, other than through videos. So when Rush announced their 30th anniversary tour this year, I knew I had to finally catch them in concert, before guitarist Alex Lifeson decides to quit the band to start a lucrative boxing career!

The logistics worked out, and on this Memorial Day, the concert entourage of yours truly, Guv’nor Jesse and former-Sebastiano’s-Doorman-turned-soon-to-be-married-Blue-Collar-Man and designated wheelman for this trip, Schtiv, made the roadtrip to Post Gazette Pavilion at Star Lake to help Rush celebrate 30 years of rock’n’roll.

Post Gazette Pavilion at Star Lake is fast becoming one of my favorite places to catch a major concert. Several things this night helped to strengthen that opinion. The first happened while doing the traditional pre-concert tailgate in the parking lot before the show. We started chatting with the two guys in the car next to us (Kurt from Pittsburgh and his brother from Erie, both prog-rock fans). They pointed out an unusual anomaly with Sctiv’s VW Jetta, noticing that some enterprising and imaginative wasps had constructed a tiny nest just inside the trunk hatch. The nest, just over an inch wide, was empty and abandoned (thankfully!). We were all consuming foamy adult beverages, and I noted signs indicating that no glass bottles were permitted on the grounds. I had brought my brew in cans, so no problem for me. Schtiv and Jesse, though, had brought theirs in glass bottles. At first, there wasn’t any problem, as Star Lake security staff whizzed by in their golf carts without taking notice of the bottles, and other Star Lake revelers were also consuming from bottles. But eventually a cart pulled up to our vehicle, and guess what? The security guys politely handed Schtiv and Jesse a small stack of red plastic pounder cups, and advised them to pour their brew into the cups to drink, so the local police wouldn’t bust them for the glass bottles! Anywhere else, and they probably would have confiscated the bottles or worse (at Hershey Stadium, such an offense would probably lead to a public caning or crucifixion!), but at Star Lake, they handed out cups to help Schtiv and Jesse keep their pre-concert “prep” legal! Too cool!

The other incident of Star Lake kindness happened during the concert. Taking notes on the concert, my pen suddenly ran out of ink towards the end of Rush’s first set, and I didn’t bring a back-up. But BIG thanks to Kristine at one of the beer kiosks, I soon had a replacement pen to continue to jot down song titles and notes with. Thanks Kristine!

The first major concert of the year at Star Lake brought some bad news and good news…The bad news: the parking fee has risen to $10 per car. The good news, the beer price for a large draft dropped slightly (I think); from $7 to $6.75. Okay, still too pricey for me, but perhaps a symbolic positive gesture.

Promptly at the scheduled 8 PM start time, Rush got underway, commencing the evening with a medley of their early work from the mid 70's; "Anthem" was the tune that particularly stood out in my mind. With clothes dryers operating in the rear of the stage, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neal Peart proceeded to tap classics from throughout their career - continuing with "The Spirit of Radio," "Hold Your Fire," "Animate" and "Subdivisions." Geddy then greeted the crowd: "Pennsylvanians.Pittsburghians.How are yo'uns doing?" Rush then continued with "Earthshine" from Vapor Trails, which featured the first overhead camera shot of Neal Peart and his immense drum kit - this array of drums and percussion instruments was amazing to look at, with Neal masterfully maneuvering his way atop them. Next was "Red Barchetta," which turned into an audience singalong. "Roll the Bones" was accompanied by the skeleton character on the video screen, chanting the midsong rap. After renditions of "Mystic Rhythms" from Power Windows, "YYZ" and "The Trees," Rush performed the first of several remakes from their forthcoming new CD, Feedback, doing an impressive treatment of The Who's "The Seeker;" before sending the concert to intermission with the first single from Vapor Trails, "One Little Victory."

Thus far, Rush was delivering everything onstage that I hoped they would. Geddy Lee's voice was in fine form and came through clearly and cleanly. And instrumentally, Geddy on bass, Neal on the drumkit and Alex on guitar executed like a precision machine. Their performances sounded inspired and powerful; they were playing with purpose and focus, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Due to my aforementioned expired pen problem; Schtiv, Guv'nor Jesse and I headed to the concession area in search of a replacement writing utensil and, as it turned out, a brew. (Yeah, I know, I paid $6.75 for a draft - SUCKER!) Although the weather had been cooperative during our sojourn up to this point, the skies opened with a brief torrential downpour, drenching us. But at least I obtained a replacement pen!

We were still in the concession area as Rush reconvened their performance, resuming the music with "Tom Sawyer." We rushed (pun intended) back to our seats to take in the rest of the show. This set featured a few more surprises than the first set; including Geddy Lee clad in a 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates World Champions jersey. Rush broke out deeper cuts such as "Between the Wheels" from Grace Under Pressure; a string of epics such as "La Villa Strangiato," "By Tor and the Snow Dog" and "Xanadu;" new songs such as "Resist" from the live Rush In Rio set and "Secret Touch" off Vapor Trails; and another remake from the forthcoming Feedback release, the Yardbirds' "Heart Full of Soul." The big highlight for me was Neal Peart's drum solo, about a third of the way into the set. Again with the overhead camera shots appearing on the jumbotron, I watched as Neal deftly maneuvered his way around his elaborate percussion array, handling it all with ease and expertise, yet you could tell the man meant every beat of it. Neal's highly technical solo - as it did on the Rush In Rio set – eventually culminated in a swing-styled finish, completed with video footage taken from old swing-era movies. Very cool! I heard that Neal never can be seen smiling while performing, but a few people, including myself, noted that he did flash a quick side-of-mouth smile towards the camera while in the heat of his solo. Given the hardships this man has experienced in recent years, a very good sign indeed! In addition to the aforementioned highlights in this set, there were Rush favorites such as "Distant Early Warning," "Overture/Temples of Syrinx" from 2112, and the set-ending "Working Man," performed with an interesting reggae-geared last verse after the midsong instrumental break. At the close of this song, Rush grabbed T-shirts out of the clothes dryer - still spinning since the beginning of the show - and tossed them out to the stagefront pavilion audience.

Rush obviously wasn't done yet, at least according to the Star Lake audience. The audience instantly roared to life after "Working Man" ended, they obviously wanted more Rush. Rush returned to stage fairly quickly and answered the audience demands with an encore. The first two songs, versions of "Summertime Blues" and "Crossroads," were two more songs from the forthcoming Feedback release; Rush then ended the night with "Limelight," ending in a hail of lazer lights and a short video send-off from comedian Jerry Stiller.

Although the outdoor concert season is still very young, it will take quite a colossal show to uproot Rush as the best show I see this summer. Rush was everything I had expected and then some; three musicians at the top of their game, playing their body of work with purpose and conviction. This is one band that isn't taking it easy after 30 years; Lee, Lifeson and Peart were excited to be out there and pushing each other to the peak of their performance. Each of these guys was a virtuoso on his respective instrument, and together they were on the same wavelength, executing like clockwork. I thoroughly enjoyed the blend of old and new material, popular and obscure. It was a balanced show, and everything I expected a Rush show should be. If Rush's 30th anniversary tour makes any more passes through our region, I highly recommend catching it while it lasts!

The only downer of the whole evening was on the route back, when Schtiv’s Jetta hit a piece of debris along the Parkway in Pittsburgh and blew out a tire. There was very little berm to park along, so we wound up having to do a tire change right on the Parkway! Fortunately, we were just far enough up from the curve that traffic whizzing by at 55 mph could see us and shift lanes. Thankfully, somebody notified Pittsburgh’s highway department that there was a problem, and two trucks showed up; the first placed flares about 100 yards up the road from us to alert other drivers, and the second helped jack up the car and helped us change the flat – and didn’t even accept money when Schtiv offered it for compensation. Yes, there are still some good Samaritans in the world!

In the parking lot before the concert, the triumvirate of terror: Schtiv the Wheelman, Guv’nor Jesse and yours truly.

Guv’nor Jesse notes an unusual feature on Schtiv’s Jetta.

Fortunately, the occupants had abandoned this home before it was discovered.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: