· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Remembering Steve Shiffler and "Big Jim" Ricotta
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 06, 2020 

First off, my apologies for not posting this sooner...Since Rockpage isn't as busy these days, sometimes I tend to forget to post things here in a timely manner since PA Musician and Facebook are the main ways I get the word out.

But the Altoona and central PA music scene lost two beloved friends and members in recent weeks with the passings of Steve Shiffler and "Big Jim" Ricotta.

Steve Shiffler passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at age 63.

Steve was the frontman to a number of area bands over the past four decades, including XL, Detour, Legacy, Not Them Guys, 100 Proof and more. More recently, Steve made guest appearances on stage with This Albatross, which features his daughter Autumn on vocals and son-in-law Phil Wagner on lead guitar and vocals. Steve was popular for his robust, energetic style and go-for-broke, bring-the-crowd-into-the-party onstage personality. He was well-liked in the area music community.

Off the stage, Steve loved the outdoors and was an avid fisherman. He had an energy and gusto for life, and lived each day to its fullest.

Although I have many memories of seeing Steve on the live stage, perhaps my favorite memory of Steve was during the 2003 edition of Dennie Huber’s “Crazy Fest” Amateur Youth Talent Show at the Greenwood Firehall in Altoona. Steve was there to watch his daughter, Autumn, as she sang and competed for one of the day’s trophies. As Autumn sang, I’ll never forget the look of happiness on Steve’s face as he videotaped her performance; the look of a proud father enjoying his daughter’s moment in the spotlight. It was a special moment.

Here are two pictures of Steve...First is a shot of Steve singing with his daughter Autumn (now lead singer of This Albatross) during a Not Them Guys acoustic performance at the Blue Knob Clubhouse in April, 2003. The second is a picture of the aforementioned "proud father" moment as Steve videotaped Autumn as she sang during Dennie Huber's "Crazy Fest" Amateur Youth Talent Show, also in April, 2003.

“Big Jim” Ricotta passed away on Wednesday, Nov. 11, after a valiant battle with cancer. He was 65.

Big Jim played bass, guitar and keys plus sang, and was a member of numerous area bands and projects over the past three decades, including Banditos, Penetrator, Half Tempted, Johnny Cash/June Carter tribute group Ol’ 97, Rokkandy, the Backyard Rockers, Snake Bite, an acoustic duo with “Bad Daze Rob” Carolus, and most recently with Second Edition. Jim had a reputation for knowing many songs; some observers quipped that he knew songs that hadn’t even been written yet.

Big Jim also was an area radio announcer, who worked on-air at WVAM and Q94 in the Altoona market during the 1990s, as well stations in Clearfield County. He also was a former manager at the Altoona location of Coconuts Music & Movies.

On a personal note, Big Jim was among my closest circle of friends for more than 25 years. He became a lot of things to me over that time " friend, co-worker, boss, bandmate, rock concert and vacation partner-in-crime, confidante, mentor, and just an all-around great human being. Big Jim had a big heart, and frequently helped others in need, and loaned his musical talents to benefit events when possible. Jim had a great sense of humor, and could frequently bring laughter with his wit and antics, and even some of the accidental situations he would get into.

But his willingness to help out others will live on as a major part of his legacy. He would help out friends as well as folks he barely knew. One favorite example of his generosity happened in late 2001, when he loaned his extra car to a then-young family rock band called Halestorm, so they could transport their gear and themselves from State College to Altoona for a gig at Peter C’s, after their band van broke down in front of Rockview State Penitentiary. Big Jim set an example of selflessness, and the world would be a much better place if more folks followed that example.

Here is a picture of Big Jim from St. Patrick's Day, 2008, as he performed with "Bad Daze Rob" Carolus at Pellegrine's.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
boot-man

Post Posted: Monday Dec 07, 2020 

I've known Big Jim for quite a while. he was an awesome individual. I knew he wasn't doing well with cancer but i had no idea he passed away. he will be sadly missed.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: