· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/12/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 12, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/12/04

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 7/8/04

After a late night at the workplace, the only logical place to head at 12:45 in the morning was down the street to Peter C’s to see what this week’s episode of Thursday Hurricaning was about.

I arrived at intermission before the third set, and Peter C’s had a good-sized crowd on hand to witness the Hurricanes’ musical fireworks. The group opened their final set with four original tunes; the driving rocker “Lonely One,” the Jeff Clapper-sung “The Love We Share,” the bluesy and rebellious “Free” and the fast and funky “Icy You.” Recently opening for Paul Rodgers at the Cambria County War Memorial as part of One Less Tear, the ‘Canes then did Free’s “All Right Now” with Jeff singing lead, and drummer Bob Watters playfully remarking that “Paul Rodgers should be thankful that Jeff didn’t sing.” After spirited treatments of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Texas Flood” and Grand Funk Railroad’s “Closer to Home,” The Hurricanes performed the Allman Brothers’ “Dreams,” with special guest Steve Bidoli sitting in behind Bob’s drum kit. The Peter C’s audience stoked and festive, the Hurricanes brought the night to a rowdy finish with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama (Ala-toona).”

As expected, the musicianship was hot; Felix, Jeff and Bob played with the usual fire and intensity, making it all look so damned easy! And as expected, it was total fun, with the band and crowd firing each other up and escalating the remainder of the evening to a feisty, rocking crescendo. Always a good way to start the weekend, Felix & the Hurricanes delivered the goods yet again!

Felix & the Hurricanes turn another Thursday into a party at Peter C’s.

Hurricanes Bob and Felix with Hurricaniac Denny.

Another triumvirate of terror: Hurricaniac Denny, Goddess of Photo Processing Michelle and yours truly.

SOUNDRIVE @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 7/9/04

I first ran into Cambria County rockers Soundrive a couple years ago at Ebensburg Potatofest, happening upon them just as they were wrapping up their set. At this point, Soundrive (not to be confused with Altoona-based jamsters Sound Driven) seemed relaxed and not especially well rehearsed or developed yet. Eventually, the group issued a debut CD, Resided Emotions, and continued to hone their sound and approach. This night was their first Altoona appearance, as they brought their unique brand of rock to Aldo’s.

As expected, given a new band at Aldo’s on a Friday night, virtually no crowd. The group – singer Bryan Kish, guitarist/keyboardist Jason Kish, guitarist Chris Kupchella and drummer Owen Standley – was on break as I arrived, but soon started into their last set of the evening. Soundrive mainly showcased original songs, including tunes from their 2002 CD, Resided Emotions. Their style and sound was unique; a blend of melody, late 60’s psychedelic textures and experimentation. One song, “Pretty Faces” (from their forthcoming second CD, Distorted Tractor, took on a flavor situated between Van Morrison’s “Moondance” and the Doors’ “People Are Strange.” The group performed a number of other original songs (most of the titles I didn’t catch), some featuring spacey guitar effects, moody passages, freestyle jamming and more. The group also did “Stirrings of the Soul” from Resided Emotions; and with Velvet Underground cited as an influence on Soundrive’s style, and the group did a Velvet Underground number late in their set.

Overall, I found Soundrive’s performance interesting. This group has definitely progressed since that Potatofest performance; they seem to have found their own distinct approach and focus. While influenced by late 60’s psychedelia and experimentation, Soundrive is trying to take their sound to a different place. The newer material sounded more atmospheric and improvisational, and less folk-based than the earlier music on Resided Emotions. On the performance end, this band is coming along, and did a respectable job at this stage of their development. I detected the guitars being slightly out of tune with one another; and Bryan is still developing confidence as a frontman. But overall, I see more focus and direction with what Soundrive is doing, and the parts should fall more into place as this group keeps performing and composing together.

Based on this night, Soundrive is a work in progress; and are tackling a style and direction that isn’t mainstream or the flavor of the month. Here’s hoping this band continues to follow their muse and keeps exploring new terrain; I’ll be interested in hearing what their future musical findings are.

Bryan Kish and Chris Kupchella of Soundrive.

Bryan Kish of Soundrive.

Soundrive, bringing their unique sound to Aldo’s.

Chris Kupchella of Soundrive.

Jason Kish of Soundrive.

“GET CLOSER TO THE MUSIC” WORKSHOP @ 6TH WARD RECREATION BUILDING, ALTOONA 7/10/04

With the event scheduled to run until 4 PM, I opted to stop in and check out the first ever Get Closer to the Music Workshop event in the early afternoon, so I could get caught up on some household chores (yes, besides being a local music guru 24/7, I do have a domestic life to get caught up on now and then).

Anyway, I waited a little too long to attend this event, and as I arrived around 2 PM, things were already being wrapped up for the day. According to Get Closer to the Music organizers Jeff Van Clief and Ed Murvine, most of the attendance and activity took place during the morning hours, and attendance died off after lunch time. A number of youngsters and their parents came to the event early on, and got to see performances and ask questions from Felix & the Hurricanes, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys, teenaged drummer extraordinaire Aaron Kimmel and more. The youngsters got to handle instruments and ask questions.

Attendance for this inaugural workshop was lighter than hoped; attributed mostly to the sunny summertime weather and competition from other outside activities, family get-togethers and more. Still, both Jeff and Ed remained hopeful and optimistic – they understood that there are growing pains associated with any new organization/endeavor, and that it takes time and patience to generate success. Both said there will be more workshops and events of this sort; Jeff indicated that Get Closer to the Music might target autumn or spring for the next one, when activities head back indoors and there’s less competition from warm weather factors.

Here’s hoping Get Closer to the Music can continue to build their organization and its variety of programs to help involve young people and others in the world of music.

LEGENDS OF THE LOST & FOUND/BEYOND REASON/TOTEM/FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ MEMORIAL POKER RUN POST-PARTY, ON A FARM NEAR CHEST SPRINGS 7/10/04

In my public service director capacity at Q94, I had typed up public service announcements for this event in years past; the annual memorial poker run for “Stretch” Hamilton and Dan McDermott, staged by Cambria County A.B.A.T.E., with proceeds benefiting several needy area children. Since I don’t own or ride a motorcycle myself, I hadn’t attended the run or its post party in previous years, but always heard it was a good time. Fortunately, Beyond Reason guitarist Tom Urbain (“Urbs”) invited me to check out the post-party for this event, and by the time all was said and done, I was turned on to another fun summertime live music event.

I arrived at the site, a farm near Chest Springs, shortly before the music began. Motorcyclists and participants from the poker run were arriving, and soon an impressive row of bikes were lined up. I grabbed some food and chatted with Tony and Stacy from Never Enough, (now former) Ever Since Yesterday bassist Jamie and Lisa (“Esa”), who was helping direct traffic onto the farm grounds. I learned that Ever Since Yesterday – originally slated to perform at this event, had to cancel because their drummer dropped a drill on his foot earlier in the week (ouch). More bikers and music fans arrived, including Grimm lead voice Bob Lee; it was turning into a party!

Soon the music was set to begin. It was at this point that I officially learned some sad news, that Legends Of The Lost & Found’s banjo player, Bill Marks, had lost his battle with cancer two weeks prior to this event. Since Legends Of The Lost & Found was slated to kick off the event, Bill’s surviving bandmates, guitarist John Mallory and singer Karen, performed some songs to remember their fallen partner. After Karen sang the National Anthem, John sang and played Hank Williams Jr.’s “Country Boy Can Survive,” the group’s adopted title tune, Harry Chapin’s “Legends of the Lost and Found;” and in tribute to Bill, Darryl Worley’s “I Miss My Friend.” It was a somber moment, as John sadly paid homage to his friend; yet there was a warmth present as a number of friends and fans applauded and encouraged John’s efforts. That show of solidarity set a positive tone for the rest of the evening’s music to follow.

Beyond Reason then stepped onstage and readied to perform their set. Not too far from the stage, a large amount of wood had been stacked up high for a bonfire to be lit. We were expecting this to be lit up later on, after it had gotten dark, but with sunlight still remaining, a volunteer doused the huge wood pile with some combustible substance (gasoline?) and tossed the match. The resulting inferno burned high and hot, forcing a number of people (me and Bob Lee included) to step back a number of feet until the fire burned itself down. Eventually, I stepped towards the stage to photograph Beyond Reason during their set, and you could feel the heat from the fire even by the stage!

Beyond Reason picked up the pace of the party with a variety of rock’n’roll from the early 60’s to early 90’s. Singer/guitarist Dan Myers II, the aforementioned “Urbs,” bassist Mike Lakovitch and drummer Chris Myers provided the musical backdrop for eating, drinking beer and socializing; playing tunes from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Elton John, Mitch Ryder, War, the Black Crowes, the Chantays (doing the early 60’s surf instrumental chestnut “Pipeline”), Marshall Tucker Band, John Mellencamp and more. Beyond Reason gave a solid performance, and built momentum as they proceeded, with more onlookers grooving along as their set progressed. By audience request, Dan ended Beyond Reason’s set by doing a solo acoustic performance of his song about September 11, “Lady Liberty” (which he performs with Felix & the Hurricanes on the ‘Canes’ latest CD, Travelers Not Forgotten).

More people continued to arrive as the next band, Totem, got ready to play. Several hundred motorcycle enthusiasts, friends and music fans were already present; it crossed my mind that this outdoor party was probably putting a dent in attendance at some bar or venue elsewhere this night.

I was looking forward to seeing Totem in action again after catching their impressive show at Magoo’s in Cresson several months ago. As expected, Totem mixed classic rock, southern rock and blues from names like Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, the Allman Brothers, Jethro Tull, Joe Cocker and more. Again, Totem demonstrated stellar musicianship, especially the fireworks between frontman/guitarist Perry Sheesley and keyboardist Gene Suto. Perry and Gene shared the spotlight on the Allman Brothers’ “Southbound;” and both dazzled in their respective moments in the spotlight during Derek & the Dominoes’ “Layla.” Perry dedicated the Allman Brothers’ “No One to Run With” in memory of Bill Marks. Totem’s blend of tasty rock, funk and blues triggered the first serious dancing of the evening (I even got drafted to cut the rug…err…lawn). It was another strong display from Totem, which escalated the festive mood of this party even more.

Since the PA system being used belonged to Totem, the group removed the system as they dismantled their gear, and a lengthier intermission ensued as the night’s next band, Felix & the Hurricanes, had to set up their own sound gear. The revelers patiently waited, continuing to socialize and savor whatever food and brew was left.

After about an hour layover, the Hurricanes took the stage, and reignited the party with their blend of original tunes, classic rock favorites and more. The group showcased original songs such as “Walking a Straight Line,” “Keep On Rockin,’” “Black Widow” and others; and also fired off versions of Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile,” Al Green’s “Take Me to the River,” LaVern Baker/Black Oak Arkansas’ “Jim Dandy,” Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold” and more. The late hour diminished the crowd some (either to overnight campsites or departing the party altogether), but many still remained to cheer the ‘Canes on.

My batteries were running low as the Hurricanes’ first set ended just shy of 3 AM, and I decided to depart the party at this point. There were still a number of people milling around as I left, and I understand the hardcore revelers and Hurricanes’ second set kept this party going ‘til nearly 5 AM!

The Memorial Poker Run Post Party was a good time, and the type of party I look forward to checking out during summer. Live bands, food, brew and several hundred people having a good time and enjoying the rural mountain air. Everybody was well-behaved, with few if any incidents or attitudes. Thanks again to Urbs for hooking me up with this party; this party becomes another part of my lexicon of summer parties and things to look forward to each year.

A big part of what this night was all about…

An impressive fleet of bikes had assembled as riders filed in from the poker run.

Karen and John Mallory of Legends Of The Lost and Found, paying tribute to fallen bandmate Bill Marks.

Beyond Reason rocks and rolls at the Memorial Poker Run post party.

Once again, Beyond Reason.

Totem brings their brand of fiery classic rock to the Memorial Poker Run post party.

Once again, Totem.

Perry Sheesley of Totem.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, STATE COLLEGE 7/11/04

I wanted to catch at least one day of this year’s Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts in State College. Due to my work schedule and other events, Sunday was the only day open to me for exploring this year’s Festival. So after resting up after my poker run post-party activities the night before, I headed to Happy Valley to catch the final day of the arts festival.

I discovered last year that the way to avoid a lot of stress at the Arts Festival right off the bat is to pay five bucks, park by Beaver Stadium and use the free shuttle bus service to and from downtown State College and the festival. The buses came through every ten minutes, so there was no long wait.

Arriving in downtown, I made my way to the Old Main lawn bandshell to try to catch some of Body & Soul’s set. Unfortunately, I arrived during the group’s last song, a version of Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll” which was extended into a fiery jam. The minute or so that I heard was furious and smoking, I wish I could have arrived earlier to see a little more.

Body & Soul, wrapping up their set at the Arts Festival.

Al Miller of Body & Soul.

Chrissy Miller of Body & Soul.

Body & Soul’s set concluded, I headed to the Allen Street stage to see what was up. The next scheduled act there was an interesting ensemble out of Brooklyn called Luminescent Orchestrii, who was just under way as I arrived. Five members strong, including a three-member femme fatale violin section, Luminescent Orchestrii performed an eclectic original sound that blended elements of Eastern European and gypsy folk, klezmer, tangos, and even an alternative/punk edge. Highlights included original numbers such as “Too Hot To Sleep,” “The Stranger Who Stole Away” (based on a Bulgarian folk song), “Surfin’ Romania” (based on a Romanian folk tune, and explained on their website as accompanied by Dead Kennedys riffs) and the set-closer, “Moon Song.” Besides the lady string section, the group included other interesting instrumentation such as melodica, resophonic guitar and guitarron (mariachi bass). Luminescent Orchestrii definitely had a unique and distinct style and sound, and provided a taste of something completely different at this year’s Festival.

Luminescent Orchestrii.

Once again, Luminescent Orchestrii.

I then headed back to the Old Main lawn to get my first look at Chris Bell & 100% Blues. I missed this band when they performed at the African American Heritage Festival at Penn State Altoona a couple of years ago, and after hearing good things about that performance, this was one of the groups I most looked forward to seeing this day. They did not disappoint! Chris Bell & 100% Blues delivered a scorching set of hot blues originals and favorites, touching on a number of blues styles with the emphasis on Chicago. This set had numerous highlights; including Chris’ own original blues compositions like “Emergency,” “Can’t Keep a Good Man Down,” the lowdown “She Found Another Man,” “Two Jobs” and more. Chris also played familiar blues favorites such as Gary Moore’s “Still Got The Blues,” a B.B. King medley, John Hiatt’s “It Feels Like Rain,” a song by Albert King and more. The band’s focal point is clearly namesake Chris Bell, who electrified the Old Main lawn audience with his gritty blues howl and fiery guitarwork. His support cast was impressive as well, including sax player Bill Johnston, bassist Chuck Maithonis, drummer Bill (I didn’t catch his last name), and special guest keyboardist John “JT” Thompson from Body & Soul. Chris and his band build momentum as they went along, and eventually Chris extended that excitement and enthusiasm beyond the stage, as he stepped off the stage and took his guitar directly into the Old Main lawn audience to jam. And Chris clearly loved playing the blues, enough so that the soundman had to cue him to wrap up their set, as the Chris and the group exceeded their allotted playing time – to the delight of the blues fans, yours truly included. Chris Bell & 100% Blues were clearly worth the roadtrip to State College to see; I’ll definitely check this band out again whenever they return to our neck of the woods.

Chris Bell.

Once again, Chris Bell.

Minus the jacket, Chris Bell.

Bill Johnston of Chris Bell & 100% Blues.

Chris Bell takes his party out to the blues fans in the Old Main lawn.

Again, Chris Bell, taking his party to the people.

Again, Chris Bell, jamming on the Old Main lawn.

Back onstage, Chris Bell.

One more time, Chris Bell & 100% Blues.

Since Luminescent Orchestrii was next on the Old Main stage and I had just seen them at Allen Street earlier, I opted to walk back to the main festival area on Allen Street to grab a bite to eat. The festival was slated to conclude at 6 PM; still, I was disappointed to find that the food vendors were all tearing down, even though there was a still a large number of people milling about and entertainment was still scheduled until 10 PM. The only food vendor that was still operating was the Penn State Creamery, so I did the traditional “Peachy Paterno” cone and walked about downtown State College for a while. Eventually I returned to the Old Main lawn area and took in the last 20 minutes of Luminescent Orchestrii’s set. The group did more original compositions and old country-rooted folk; but ended things on a surprise note when the three lady violinists performed a string/acapella rendition of the Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams.”

While walking around the streets of State College during the Arts Festival, I found this pair of ladies, performing what appeared to be Krishna-geared folk music.

I then stuck around for the final act of this year’s Arts Festival, State College reggae favorites The Earthtones. I had seen the Earthtones a few times before over the years, but never had I seen them hosting a party like I was about to witness! As they were introduced, the onstage announcer said that the Earthtones had concluded the Central PA Festival of the Arts for 16 consecutive years. I was about to see why, as this set erupted into a full-out worldbeat dance party! A few folks started dancing even while the group was soundchecking! Then as the group officially began, people quickly advanced to the stagefront area, first filling up the sidewalk immediately in front of the stage, and by the second song, expanding that dance party out into the Old Main lawn itself! It was a sight to behold, as folks of all ages, colors, shapes and sizes happily danced and grooved – certainly evidence that The Earthtones is one of those bands that can bridge gaps and bring people together. The music and festivities continued with a number of Bob Marley tunes including “Stir It Up,” “War,” “Rat Race,” “No Woman No Cry” and others; also their original showstopper favorite “We Only Dancin’” and more. There were plenty of highlights, including lead Earthtone, Rodney “RT” Thompson introducing his 16-year-old son, Jordan, onstage to play several instruments, including keys, guitar and saxophone. Remember this youngster’s name, he showed dazzling skills on all three instruments! The whole Earthtones band was strong, including frequent guitar fireworks from veteran stringbender Chris Younken, colorful keyboard flavorings from Roger Emes and Kamau Diallo, Chris Kepler’s solid bass and John Lynch’s busy drumwork. Also onstage was a special guest percussionist, Natalia Pilato. This party just kept escalating and growing as it progressed; it was hard to tear myself away from the festivities. But I did need to depart, as the Arts Festival shuttle buses only ran for a short time longer, and I didn’t relish the thought of having to walk all the way back to the Jordan Center to get my car.

But based at least on this day, it was another successful year for the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts. And this day’s music slate definitely made it worth my roadtrip (and the $5 parking fee). Hopefully, I’ll be back to do it again next year.

Early on, the first few of many dancers take to the stagefront as the Earthtones get under way.

A few more folks join the dancefest…

The Earthtones have a full-scale dance party on their hands…

Kamau Diallo of the Earthtones.

Chris Younken of the Earthtones.

Roger Emes of the Earthtones.

Lead Earthtone, Rodney “RT” Thompson.

The Earthtones turn the Central PA Festival of the Arts finale into a massive dance party.

Chris Younken and Rodney “RT” Thompson of the Earthtones.

Showing his abilities on keyboards next to Kamau Diallo, Jordan Thompson.

Once again, Rodney “RT” Thompson of the Earthtones.

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/11/04

Big changes in Juiced-ville! It had been mentioned and rumored for several months that singer Carrie Rapaport was leaving the group; in fact, the most recent Juiced appearance at Pellegrine’s was understood to be her swan song with the group at that venue. Still, the change was swift and sudden, and just prior to this show, Carrie and bassist Greg Folsom parted ways with the band, and former Rhymes With Orange frontman Russ and newcomer bassist Peggy replaced them.

This meant an interesting scenario at Pellegrine’s this night. For many fans, Carrie had become synonymous with Juiced – when they thought of Juiced, Carrie was the first person that came to mind. Her feisty onstage persona, energy and charisma had defined Juiced in the eyes of many fans. How would this fan base respond to the changes? And with many of the cover-paying fans this night unaware that Carrie was no longer with the group, how would they respond to seeing this new Juiced line-up? All to be revealed in this night’s episode…

A good-sized crowd was present as I arrived at Pellegrine’s; and given that most of this crowd was probably unaware of Carrie’s exit from the band when they paid the cover charge, it was an initial good sign for the group that no huge exodus out the door was occurring. In fact, Juiced had a few fans on the dance floor already midway through the first set – yet another good sign for the group, since most nights the Pelly’s crowd doesn’t loosen up and begin dancing until at least the second set. Russ, Peggy, guitarist/singer Norm Marks, keyboardist/singer Doug Buch and drummer Darryl Hetrick were in the midst of Bowling for Soup’s “Girl All the Bad Guys Want,” and maintained a tight pace through songs from Disturbed, Blur, Violent Femmes, House Of Pain, and Marilyn Manson’s “Beautiful People” to end the set.

Gauging reaction to the new incarnation of Juiced during the first intermission, I didn’t hear a whole lot of feedback one way or another. One or two devout Carrie-era Juiced fans weren’t digging the new band too much, but weren’t rushing out the door, either. Other fans were non-committal either way, perhaps wanting to see more of the new line-up’s performance before casting any judgement. At least so far, I thought the new line-up was doing a respectable job. As he did with Rhymes with Orange, Russ was confidently working the stagefront and rallying the early dance floor participants. Bassist Peggy sounded solid early on, and seemed to be in synch and on the mark with the rest of the band. Juiced was showing some energy and “juice” this night, and there seemed to be more purpose to their performance so far.

Soon the second set got underway, with new Juiced resuming the action with Nickelback’s “Figure You Out.” The group mixed it up, performing Run DMC’s “It’s Tricky,” Jimmy Eats World’s “The Middle,” Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” before Norm fronted the band on Smile Empty Soul’s “Bottom of a Bottle.” Juiced kept the dance floor busy with tunes from James, Rage Against the Machine, Ramones, the interesting fusion of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” and Sublime’s “What I Got,” the Norm-fronted take on Dion’s Runaround Sue,” tunes from Godsmack, Puddle Of Mudd, Linkin Park, more Rage, and Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It” to finish the set.

Pelly’s was still busy, and the audience wasn’t heading towards the doors. Apparently this crowd was accepting new Juiced, at least for this night. The group kept their presentation uptempo and busy, and the new members still appeared to be fitting together with the rest of Juiced well. And I was noticing that the group was mixing up the tunes more, avoiding at least some of the predictability I had witnessed in previous shows.

The third set commenced with Limp Bizkit’s “Breakstuff,” and Juiced again had the Pellegrine’s dance floor filling up and getting busy. Russ led the group on Hole’s “Celebrity Skin,” and the group kept the party going with tunes from The Clash, Disturbed, Kiss’ “Lick It Up,” Gary Numan’s “Cars,” and Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl.” Doug stepped from behind his keyboard to serenade the ladies with Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” before the group upped the tempo to end the night with versions of the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party),” Disturbed’s “Stupified” and more.

This new line-up of Juiced did a good job overall. The new blood in the band seemed to inject a spark into the group, and their presentation showed more edge than the last time I had seen them (the “rerun” episode I wrote about on Rockpage back in late winter/early spring). Russ was confident, and his stage energy displayed during his stint with Rhymes With Orange carried over to Juiced pretty easily. Peggy – in what I understand was her first organized band situation – held her own on the bass end; she seemed to know what she was doing on the four strings quite well. Norm, Doug and Darryl seemed to be firing and executing with renewed vigor this night; perhaps the changes were what the doctor ordered to inject some new life into this band.

Generally, I’ve always been of the belief that once a band sees over half of their original line-up depart, and especially if their style and sound has drastically changed over the course of those line-up shuffles, that a name change should be in order. Case in point: Stept On. After their recent series of changes left only guitarist Matt Day as the lone original member left in the band (prior to bassist Adam Zimmer’s recent return), the group decided it was time to turn a new page and begin anew as In. I have felt much the same way about Juiced; Carrie’s departure marks a big change in this band’s image and sound, and I lean towards thinking perhaps a name change should be in order to mark this band’s new beginning. But the group has decided to stay the course as Juiced, and I respect that decision. Time will ultimately tell if that decision works or not. Will the fans who paid cover to see Juiced this night (unaware of Carrie’s departure) accept the new Juiced roster enough to come back and pay cover to see the group next time? If not, will this new Juiced line-up be able to rebuild a new fan base to replace the fans lost during the transition? And will we finally see some Juiced original music? All these questions will be answered in the coming months. Stay tuned…

New Juiced frontman Russ.

Norm Marks of Juiced.

Ladies populate Pellegrine’s stage while Doug Buch sings.

Doug Buch of Juiced.

Once again, Russ of Juiced.

Peggy, the new bassist of Juiced.

Again, Peggy of Juiced.

One more time, Russ of Juiced.

Life as a doorman has its benefits…back at the entrance, Pelly’s doorman Tony gets a bear hug from Dominique.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: