· The Final Cut
gtr strings
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Oct 29, 2004 

I went through a long period not breaking strings but I seem to break them more often now, I'm trying to figure if its strings or my bridge, I switched from D'Adarrio to Ernie Balls and didn't notice right away but it could be that ? Any input or has anyone noticed one type breaks easier than the other?

Oh and I've recently switched to GHS but not long enough to tell a difference yet. ( $3.84 @ wal-mart , probably shouldn't buy them there but it was just too convinient. Got a Rapco cord too for $6 something )
Sanctify

check your bridge saddles... may need replaced... a quick fix is to rub graphite in the saddle (#2 pencil works great)

I use Ernie Ball and GHS for different guitars... heven't broken a string while playing a live show in a year and a half...

But I change strings after using for approx 20 gig/live band practice hours... I don't count playing at home...
www.audiostreet.net/innerg 3 MP3'S w/ great forums
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Actually I'm using graph tech string savers also, I'm thinking its after the strings cross the saddles and go down the hole ( strat type trem ) I think they may be rubbing somewhere in there.
DMFJ03
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

It has to be something like that, T.

I've seen you play a bunch of times, and I know that you don't hammer on your strings.

If it isn't something with your guitar, maybe trying going a gauge heavier. Who knows...maybe you are playing harder than you think.
www.facebook.com/rootandthefifths
www.twitter.com/rootfifths
www.pabands.com
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Punkinhead
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

If you don't play hard, it's in your bridge somewhere...I have found though that certain brands of strings, namely D'Addario, Ernie Ball, and GHS break way more frequently than most. I go through a pack of those in roughly 15 hours (3 days) practice time...2 hours gig time. But then again I play harder than hell on my guitars. I generally use Everly B-52 Rockers or Gibson Brite Wires now and they seem to last about 7 days for me on average....
Sanctify

some awsome heavy guage strings are ghs zakk wylde sig series... 60-10... freaking awsome...
www.audiostreet.net/innerg 3 MP3'S w/ great forums
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Oct 31, 2004 

Are they breaking right where it bends at the bridge saddle? If so, it looks like you need a different brand of strings. I'd say you have already done all you can with the saddles by getting the graph techs, unless they have worn out or have a nick somewhere. I don't think they make roller saddles, but if you can find some, that might do it. Unfortunately, you may need what I told you about last Saturday. Dean Markley Blue Steel strings are a bit expensive, but you can get them at online eBay stores for about $5 a set. I hammer on them pretty hard and 9 sets out of 10 last several gigs and wear out before they break. The tenth set? You might break a string before they wear out. They also sound better, longer than anything I've tried in 30 years of pounding stages.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 01, 2004 

I haven't broke a GHS yet maybe its the Ernie Balls, No gigs for a month so I'll just leave 'em on and see when I break one.
red
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 08, 2004 

Just be glad your strings don't cost $220 for 4 like mine!!
 Back to top »
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 08, 2004 

CRIPS what do ya use gold plated or what? Is it for the upright ? even so thats alot of dough

Actually I've been meaning to update, I haven't broke a sting since putting on the GHS strings, I've actually left them on since I posted, I do plan to change them befor the weekend since they are getting dead but no break like the when I was using Ernie Balls
red
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 09, 2004 

Yea, they are for my upright, Velvet "garbo" strings. At least I only replace them once a year or so!
 Back to top »
KMFDM ROB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 19, 2005 

I've not read everyone else's post on this, so maybe someone else covered it.

If you're breaking strings, you have to look where you are breaking them at. If you're breaking them at the bridge, do the following,

Check your saddle, where the string rubs through. It should be smooth. If it's not, lightly file or sand in there. If you're not confident, don't do it. It's a quick fix, but you can go a little too deep, and killyour tone, or get a buzz, from the lowered action.

That will work with either a Floyd Rose, or standard trem, or tunomatic.

If you're breaking the strings right at the block (where the block meets the string) on a floyd rose, you may not be breaking the string, you may not have it tight enough, and it's just coming out. The floyd rose lock screw should be snug, and about a 1/2 turn after that.

If you're breaking strings at the nut, check the same thing, if it's smooth. The slot for the nut should angle back towards the headstock of the guitar at a slight angle. If there are any burrs, clean them out, lightly file out any imperfections (again, if you're not confident, don't do it).

You could also have a cracked nut, and it's snagging at the nut. At this point, you replace the nut. It depends on the guitar. A floyd nut is an easy swap, other nuts, aren't hard, but I'd not experiement on my main guitar, if it was my only guitar.

If you're breaking them like mid body length, you could be using strings a bit too large for your tuning (then again, Felix uses like 12s or 13s and bends crazy on them.)

Different brands of strings can affect it also, however, I've used

GHS, Everly, DR, Dean Markley, D'Addario, Gibson, Fender, Ernie Ball, just to name a few, and the only reason I've changed brands is the tone and life of the string, not the breaking factor. So far, I've never broken a string on stage.

One other factor could be in place if you're breaking strings, you're not changing them enough.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Haven't broke one since I swiched to GHS about 3 months ago
redawg
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

I'll never buy Ernie Bunk strings again. The tone wasn't that bad. I broke them very quickly.

http://www.myspace.com/redawgrocks

http://www.facebook.com/redawgsolinski
 Back to top »
Mo Lester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Jan 28, 2005 

I clean my strings with fast fret after every show. they last for months.
even on the acoustic at a few shows a week.

and Red (BJD), $220? holy shit !
do ever clean yours?
if not, and they get cruddy, use alchohol and a rag to brighten 'em up a bit.
later
Griff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Feb 08, 2005 

redawg wrote:
I'll never buy Ernie Bunk strings again. The tone wasn't that bad. I broke them very quickly.
I agree redawg, the quallity isnt there anymore. I hav'nt been very happy with them either
 Back to top »
KMFDM ROB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Feb 15, 2005 

EB is about junk. A guy I know just stopped using them, he said the quality isn't there anymore. I use B52 rockers (as someone else does) and I've never broken a string since I've switched to Everly a few years back. They also work with me (they meaning the company) for repairs I do. great strings, great tone, and long life.

The thing I hate about any string is new string tone. New string tone pisses me off. Say I'm playing a show this Friday coming up, I'll have changed the strings a few days before, just to get that new string sound out of them.

Back when I had like 20 guitars, I wouldn't get around to restringing them all the time, so I had to do it when I had a chance. I've had guitars that have had Everly strings on them for MONTHS pick them up, and they are still good as the day I left them. (not saying don't change your strings, just saying, I know these are good).
GUITARII
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Mar 11, 2005 

tonefight wrote:
Actually I'm using graph tech string savers also, I'm thinking its after the strings cross the saddles and go down the hole ( strat type trem ) I think they may be rubbing somewhere in there.

Tony.... that's probably where it is happening. If you start to go through this problem again, try this.....

Take the casing off of some heavy guage wire, not too thick that it won't fit into the saddle block, pull the copper wire out of it, and push the casing into the hole of the string that is breaking. Cut the casing about an eighth of an inch above the hole. Now, push your string through the hole and casing, through the saddle and tun'r up.

Buhrs often develop in the saddle block holes, right on the rim, and will cause the string to break from continued bending and such. I had the same problem with my Fernandes... I got the graphite saddles and it continued, I moved to a heavier string, it continued.... I tried this and haven't broken a string in over 2 years.

The nice thing is... it doesn't affect tone unless you bring the casing over the saddle.

www.facebook.com/lockednloaded2012
 Back to top »
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 12, 2005 

It was the strings Dan, i quit using Ernie balls about 4 or 5 months ago and haven't broken a string since. I'm actually suprised but hey its a fact. i've been using GHS Boommers since oct and haven't broken one since, before that i was breaking a string probably about every other week.
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: