· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 8/23/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Oct 30, 2004 

WEEKEND RECAP 8/23/04

FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 8/19/04

Time flies when you’re enjoying wings! But alas, six weeks of the Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s had passed, and this was the final one of 2004, featuring Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

With three Wing-Off’s already impacted by rainy weather, this final Wing-Off was at least in danger of seeing rain. Severe thunderstorms passed through the region earlier in the afternoon, with even a tornado warning posted for Indiana and Cambria Counties. And a severe thunderstorm warning was in effect for the area until 8 PM. So wary wing-eaters kept a continuous eye to the sky.

Joined by cohort “Big Jim,” I procured my first batch of wings and brew and secured a vantage point at one of the stagefront picnic tables just prior to the start of the Wiseguys’ first set. The story of Fat Vinny’s first set in a nutshell – microphone problems. Perhaps more specifically, problems between the microphones and the rest of the band’s sound array. Vinny’s microphone quickly began to distort and fizzle out; he eventually moved to bassman Randy Ketner’s microphone, with similar results. Guest Denny Owens’ harmonica could be heard more clearly. Although this technical snafu hampered the first set, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys still entertained the Wing-Off masses with blues and blues-rock favorites from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, original songs and more.

The first intermission afforded the band an opportunity to address the microphone issues. It was about at this point that I noticed the return of an unwanted guest at this Wing-Off – rancid chicken grease stench, which was wafting noticeably throughout the Wing-Off area. (More on that later…)

Soon, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys were ready to give it another go. The group kicked back into action with Hank Williams-via-George Thorogood’s “Move It On Over.” While still somewhat distorted, the group’s microphone situation sounded a little more stable, at least in the early going. Fat Vinny, Randy and drummeister Jeff Van Clief continued with one of the group’s original songs, “Picked the Wrong Day.” The group then broke out a song appropriate for a chicken-based gathering, Willie Dixon’s “Red Rooster,” followed by another original, “The ‘Where Ya Been?’ Look.” After George Thorogood’s “Bad to the Bone,” Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys welcomed two young guests onstage – James Ketner on guitar, and Clayton Gingrich on drums – to help out on “Who Do You Love.” Both youngsters, music students of Jeff’s, did good work in their several minutes in the limelight, and it was cool of the Wiseguys to share their spotlight with up-and-coming young talent. The microphone gremlins started to resurface on John Lee Hooker’s “Boom Boom,” but at this point the group was nearing the end of their set and weathered the affliction for only a few more moments.

Once again, the group set about to diagnose and rectify the microphone problem; and with lines not too bad at this particular Wing-Off, I headed back for some more wings (making sure to steer clear of the direction of the rancid chicken grease stench). The weather was still cooperating at this point, and a good-sized crowd was still milling about the grounds, enjoying the final Wing-Off of this summer.

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys soon returned for Round 3. Conceding to the microphone problem, the group reworked things so that microphones were lower in the mix; making the vocals tougher to hear, but at least audible and less distorted. The group continued to celebrate the blues, mixing more blues and blues rock favorites with original songs. The group performed two originals in this last set, “2 to 4” and a new song, “Barroom Floor.” Fat Vinny – a.k.a. the anti-matter B.B. King – belted out “The Thrill Is Gone” in his best gravelly growl; before he and the Wiseguys launched into the ZZ Top triple-shot of “Tube Snake Boogie,” “La Grange” and “Tush.” The group then stripped AC/DC’s “The Jack” back to its basic, bluesy roots, before honoring an audience request for Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See” and ending the set with the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” The Wing-Off audience wanted to hear more and get maximum mileage out of this final Wing-Off of the season, so Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys honored another request for the encore, breaking out Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.” (What the hell, hey, it is Altoona!) The show and Wing-Off ended in the nick of time, as distant lightning grew brighter in the nighttime sky, signifying that a thunderstorm was approaching.

Ultimately, despite of the technical problems, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys still kept the crowd and did well enough to prompt demands for an encore. The group gave a rowdy, robust read to their brand of blues, led by Fat Vinny’s fiery presentation and flavored sporadically by Denny Owens’ harmonica spurts. The technical problems prevented this from being a hall of fame performance, but the Wiseguys still did a respectable job overall.

Now that the Wing-Off’s are done for another year, some thoughts…Overall, the Wing-Off’s weren’t quite as enjoyable this year. Why? Several reasons, a few that the event organizers had no control over, such as the weather. It rained on three Wing-Off’s; a result of a lousy summer weather-wise.

The crowds seemed to be down this year. Again, weather had a lot to do with it; that couldn’t be helped. But I think a few other factors took their toll on the Wing-Off attendance as well.

First, the wings themselves. At least a few times, I received wings so small that I thought perhaps the organizers ran out of chicken wings and decided to thin out the local pigeon flocks. With wings $2.50 a half dozen (translation: almost 42 cents a wing), these are definitely pricier than most bar/tavern wings; and they should be at least the same size if not bigger. 42 cents a wing for “pigeon” wings doesn’t cut it. I think the reputation for high-priced, small wings is starting to catch up with the Wing-Off event; less people are attending, and I saw seemingly more people eating food other than wings at the event.

Another factor that was prominent at this final Wing-Off was the return of the rancid chicken grease stench, which clearly turned people off. I don’t know which pavilion was the culprit, but the smell of rancid chicken grease was in the air, bad enough that drummer Jeff from Fat Vinny even called attention to the odor onstage. I don’t know if these various wing-cooking contestants store their grease from week to week, or just how the stuff comes to be rancid. I just know that the aroma is not conducive to wanting to eat large quantities of wings, and several people could be heard around me voicing their displeasure and nausea at the smell. The organizers need to figure out why this smell is emanating at the Wing-Off’s, and take whatever steps necessary to clear it up.

Another disputed factor this year may have been the selection of entertainment. The Wing-Off organizers decided to stick to a safer, mainstream slate of entertainment, utilizing bands performing music geared towards an older clientele. There were more oldies and blues, and very little current rock heard at this year’s Wing-Off’s. While I enjoyed the bands that did play at this year’s Wing-Off’s, I think the Wing-Off organizers shouldn’t ignore the younger demographic when selecting performers for this event – bands like Flight 19, Poptart Monkeys, The Collective, Halestorm, Nevermoure and Stept On all drew large crowds during past years’ Wing-Off’s, and ultimately earned more money for the charity the event is supposed to benefit (the Lakemont Volunteer Fire Company, as I recall?). Perhaps the organizers are still jittery over the PLCB/LCE fiasco a few years ago (where Pennsylvania State Police Liquor Control Enforcement showed up one week and barred anybody under 21 from attending the Wing-Off because beer was being served – this ban was contested and overturned two weeks later); whatever the case, I agree that there could have been more variety in the entertainment selection for this year’s Wing-Off’s. But hey, at least this band slate was a helluva lot better than deejays or karaoke!

Hopefully these problems will be rectified for next year’s Wing-Off’s. Even with this year’s flaws, the Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s were still the Altoona area’s biggest outdoor social event this summer; and if they return next summer, I likely will be there (barring any disasters, like using karaoke or deejays for entertainment).

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys, with guest Denny Owens, entertain at the final Wing-Off of 2004.

Randy “Dawg” Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

The big guy, Fat Vinny.

Considering that so many of his brethren are losing limbs and being cooked in rancid grease, why does this chicken look so damn happy?

Jeff Van Clief of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys welcome some young guests onstage.

Jeff Van Clief and Clayton Gingrich provide the beats “Who Do You Love.”

Helping out on guitar, James Ketner.

As night falls on the Wing-Off, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Wailing some harp, Denny Owens.

THE GRIMM @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA (OTTO FAREWELL SHOW) 8/20/04

For Altoona area progressive metallists The Grimm, this night was the end of an era. The group’s performance at Peter C’s this night would be the swan song performance of longtime guitarist Kirk “Otto” Tonkin. And as the evening unfolded, The Grimm and their fans orchestrated the ultimate send-off for him.

A good-sized crowd of Grimm fans and Kirk well-wishers were in the house as I arrived during the second set. Grimm fans, “Grimmettes” and musical peers were present, including Jim and Paul from Num, who made the roadtrip in from Harrisburg to help give Kirk the send-off. The group finished their set with several original songs, “Flatline Part II,” “Raise the Line” and “Forced Reflection” from the Resurruption opus.

In the waning moments of the set, two of the Grimmettes went back into Peter C’s kitchen and retrieved a going-away cake for Kirk, with a guitar emblazoned on the frosting. Knowing the Grimmettes, though, I wasn’t sure if Otto would wind up eating the cake…or wearing it!

Once the set ended, the Grimmettes took the cake up to the stage, and presented it to Kirk (and no, he didn’t wind up wearing it). Singer Bob Lee said several special words in his outgoing bandmate’s honor, before throwing inhibitions to the wind and sloppily liplocking one last time with him. We could all feel the love and saliva in the room. Bob, bassman Kent Tonkin and drummer Dom Peruso then presented Kirk with another going-away present – a huge glossy band photograph, which audience members this night could sign in the back of the room. The photo would then be framed for “Otto” to keep.

Soon, The Grimm’s final set of the evening – and final set with Kirk on guitar – began. The group started the set off hot and heavy, with their Metallica medley. Bob then conceded the stage to the instrumentalists, allowing Kirk and Kent to jam together one more time on one of the first compositions the pair created as The Grimm, the instrumental “East of the Sun, West of the Moon.” After this, Jim and Paul from Num presented shots to Kirk and his bandmates, both expressing their appreciation and friendship to Kirk and The Grimm. The group then performed “Suicide Knob” off Resurruption, before Bob and bandmates launched into the raunchy sing-along favorite “Suckapon,” recruiting random audience members to recite the words to the song. After this, Kent Tonkin saluted his brother with a brief speech, disclosing the story of how Kirk came to be known as “Otto,” and expressing his appreciation to Kirk for the years of music-making and brotherhood. The show continued with another Resurruption original, “Fade,” before two Tool numbers, “Aenima” and “Sober.” The Grimm then drew the (meat) curtains on the “Otto” era with two last original tunes, “Black Sheep” and “Angry and Shirtless.” One more surprise awaited Kirk, though – as “Shirtless” reached its ending, the stagefront crowd all drew cans of silly string and showered Kirk and his guitar with the substance, bringing the night to a raucous close!

As Kirk cleaned the silly string off himself and his instrument, The Grimm welcomed Kirk’s replacement, Scott Botteicher, onstage to have photos taken with Kirk – the symbolic passing of the torch, as the Kirk era finished and the Scott era began.

The Grimm, Grimmettes and many of the fans in attendance then performed one last rite to close out the “Otto” era – heading across the street to King’s Family Restaurant for one last breakfast with Kirk. But as mentioned on a prior Rockpage thread – what is spoken at The Grimm breakfast table…STAYS at The Grimm breakfast table!

Thus the Kirk Tonkin era of The Grimm was over. Kirk will continue to grace area stages as a member of local favorites The Smoke Run Band; and I get the distinct feeling that an occasional guest appearance with his former bandmates from time to time might not be out of the question. I join the Grimm, their fans and friends in extending appreciation to Kirk for his talents, and his role in helping create some of the most stimulating original music to ever surface from this part of the world. With The Grimm, Kirk helped raise the bar on local music and what it could achieve, via the Resurruption masterpiece and the audiovisual extravaganzas inspired by it. It will be interesting to see what bold musical frontiers and adventures The Grimm will take on with new guitarist Scott. Thanks to Kirk for the journey thus far, and best of luck on whatever your future path has in store.

Fans watch as “Otto” plays his last show with The Grimm.

Kent Tonkin and Bob Lee of The Grimm.

The Grimmettes get ready to present “Otto’s” farewell cake.

The cake is presented.

The Grimmettes and Bob Lee present “Otto” with a huge band photo.

”Otto” and Bob address the audience.

The final Grimm set with “Otto” is under way.

A little psychedelic Big Bad Bob…

And a little psychedelic “Otto”…

Kirk “Otto” Tonkin of The Grimm.

Once again, “Otto” in action.

Bob Lee and Kirk Tonkin of The Grimm.

Peering out over party balloons, Big Bad Bob of The Grimm.

After being showered with silly string during the finale, “Otto” of The Grimm.

”Otto” contemplates the moment…

Paul Cochran Jr. of Num introduces new Grimm guitarist Scott Botteicher.

”Otto” passes the torch along to his replacement…

With farewell autographs en masse, a Grimm photo for “Otto” to remember…

14TH “END OF SUMMER JAM” @ CRESSON SPORTSMEN’S CLUB, CRESSON

Although wet and cool as this year’s summer was, it was starting to head downhill towards fall; and one of the events that marks the start of summer’s homestretch had arrived: The 14th “End Of Summer Jam” benefit. Once again, organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh had assembled two days of live music, with proceeds helping out Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. This event had seen relatively light attendance the past few years; and it was hoped that with more publicity, promotion, and bands involved; that this year’s event would draw a bigger turnout.

DAY ONE: 8/21/04

As daylight arrived on Saturday morning, things did not look favorable for “End Of Summer Jam,” with rains pounding the area early on. The rains ended and moved eastward by mid-morning, but left the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds a muddy mess. Thanks to the opening band, Tragic Flaw, for helping Mickey spread a truckload of sawdust over the most problematic mud areas around the stage before the event began.

I arrived close to 1 PM, nearly an hour after this day’s entertainment was slated to begin. But knowing that “End Of Summer Jam” almost never starts on time, I was not surprised to discover that soundman Jeff “Lone Wolf” Renner was still putting the finishing touches on the sound preparation, and with very few attendees present in the early going, the music had not yet started.

I WAS surprised, though, to discover that my treehouse was gone! Every year, I had set up my camcorder gear in a raised wooden treehouse-like platform a short distance back from the stage. This platform had been used in the past as the setting for the sound console as well. Last year, the steps were missing from the platform, and a ladder had to be used to get up into the platform. But this year, the platform had been torn down! Jeff offered to let me set up my camera gear beneath his sound tent, so that is where I set up shop.

It was closing in on 1:30 when the day’s first band, Tragic Flaw, was set to go. A young Altoona-based band who had been together almost a year, Tragic Flaw played punkish, angst-ridden original songs and select covers from the White Stripes and Rage Against the Machine. As expected given their young ages, Tragic Flaw were somewhat rough on their instruments, and their lead vocalist did more angst-ridden screaming than singing. Soundman “Lone Wolf” coached the band several times on the finer points of amp volumes, microphone placement and general onstage etiquette with regards to equipment. The set ended with one of the band members trashing a guitar at the front of the stage, Pete Townshend-style. Tragic Flaw’s set was rough, and comical in an innocent sort of way. But as show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh noted, every band has to start somewhere, and as far as he was concerned, it might as well be here during the early stages of “End Of Summer Jam” when there wasn’t a lot of crowd. Mickey added that in ten years, we’ll probably be paying cover to see the members of Tragic Flaw playing at Peter C’s.

Tragic Flaw kicks off the 14th “End Of Summer Jam.

Tragic Flaw’s singer addresses some stagefront fans.

There were only a few people present in the show’s early going, not unexpected given the rainy weather earlier in the day. Tragic Flaw played to a handful of early-bird fans; the members of the next band, the Useless Underground, “Lone Wolf” and his accomplice, Vickie the “She Wolf,” Mickey and me. A small contingent of Useless Underground fans, a.k.a. the “Underground Army,” arrived and took up position in front of the stage as their band got ready to play.

Also together for a year, the Useless Underground played a set of hardcore punk-leaning originals. With their “Underground Army” cheering them on at stagefront, Useless Underground fired through tunes such as the title song from their CD, Trapped Inside, also “Do You Remember Those Days,” “As Darkness Falls,” “Take Over the World,” “Never Felt this Way” and more. This band – singer/guitarist Justin, guitarist/singer Joe, bassist Matt and drummer Jiggels – actually had their act together on their instruments, and their songs had melody and direction to them. The “Underground Army” provided additional highlights, with members running up on stage and stagediving into their small throng of stagefront fans. But although small in number, this legion of fans had their act together – none of the stage divers hit ground!

With their “Underground Army” cheering them on, Useless Underground.

With the “Underground Army” and members of Tragic Flaw helping on vocals, Useless Underground.

Next up was Running With Scissors. At this point still a six-piece band (frontman Matt Watson left the group soon after this show), Running With Scissors performed mostly heavier-geared current and recent rock covers, from Velvet Revolver, Smile Empty Soul, Creed, Rage Against the Machine, Weezer, System of a Down and more. The group also broke out a few older numbers along the way, with versions of Dead Or Alive’s “You Spin Me (Like a Record),” CCR’s “Travelin’ Band,” the Cars’ “Just What I Needed,” Men At Work’s “Down Under” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man.” Running With Scissors generated a decent head of steam as their set progressed, with Jeremiah Shafer firing off some hot guitar leads along the way. There were a few minor instrumental and vocal glitches along the way, but overall, this was a respectable set, and Running With Scissors helped escalate the energy level of the show.

Running With Scissors.

Matt Watson of Running With Scissors.

Once again, Running With Scissors.

One more time with feeling, Running With Scissors.

At this point, the crowd hadn’t grown all that significantly; and not all members of the next scheduled band, Gypsy & the Crazymoon, had arrived yet. So Lone Wolf assembled his cyber “band” together and took the stage next. This turned into a pretty interesting set overall. Lone Wolf fired off a variety of classic rock favorites, including tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, the Who, Bad Company, Black Sabbath and more. His digital accompaniment provided some interesting sounds along the way; I was noting Lone Wolf’s “harmonizer,” which constructed digital backing vocal harmonies at certain points; these worked better in some songs than others. Several guests also made appearances during Lone Wolf’s set – including the Wolf’s accomplice, Vickie the “She Wolf,” singing lead on Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me with Your Best Shot;” and Lone Wolf’s former Forces bandmate, John Saksa, singing lead on a Wishbone Ash number – the first time I can recall seeing Wishbone Ash covered onstage in a long, long time – if ever!

Jeff Renner, a.k.a. “Lone Wolf.

Working the strings on his Flying V, Lone Wolf.

As the sun began to set and Lone Wolf’s set concluded, the entire Gypsy & the Crazymoon contingent had arrived on the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds, and soon the group was ready to go. Although I had seen two-thirds of this band perform at a benefit show earlier this summer and had them as recent guests on Q94’s “Backyard Rocker,” this was my first look at Gypsy & the Crazymoon at full strength. Band namesake Gypsy on keys and voice, Brian McHugh on guitar and vocals, and Mark Panek on drums played a mixture of blues, classic rock and originals. Gypsy sang the lion’s share of lead voice on renditions of “Queen Bee,” “Got My Mojo Workin,’” Aretha Franklin’s “Chain of Fools,” Delbert McClinton’s “Every Time I Roll the Dice,” Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally,” Willie Dixon’s “Hoochie Coochie Man” and more. Brian took a stab at singing on Santana’s “Evil Ways” and the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues;” the latter song clearly proved to me why Gypsy does most of the singing in this trio. Frankly, I was less than impressed by this band’s overall performance. In a nutshell, the pieces didn’t fit together. Individually, Gypsy displayed a strong and soulful voice and a convincing, smoke-filled saloon piano sound from her keyboard. Individually, Brian was a respectable guitar player who fired off some good leads along the way. And individually, Mark again put on a drum clinic for the Cresson audience. But these three components didn’t gel together well into a collective group sound. Gypsy’s keys and Brian’s guitar frequently clashed rather than blended in the mix. And Mark’s busy and technical style of drumming was overkill for this band’s more basic brand of blues, R&B and classic rock. Although a few people danced in front of the stage during the set (the music was upbeat, one positive from the performance), I myself was disappointed in the set as a whole. Ultimately, the pieces of this band’s puzzle didn’t seem to fit well together, and were often not in complete synch with one another.

As night descends on the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds, Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Mark Panek of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Gypsy of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Brian McHugh of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Once again, Gypsy and Brian of Gypsy & the Crazymoon.

Relief was soon on the way, though, courtesy of the evening’s next band, Pittsburgh’s Dreamcatcher. This band featured one musician familiar to longtime “End Of Summer Jam” fans, guitarist/singer Bob Rubaker – better known in these parts as “Big Bobby Lee,” formerly of Forces, the Austin Nichols Band, his own self-titled band and more. Jeff McKee plays bass and sings, Marjie McKee sings and plays guitar, and Doug Eddy plays drums. Dreamcatcher mixed together country, folk, and blues-flavored rock, including tunes from the Eagles, The Band, Blind Faith, Pure Prairie League, Grand Funk Railroad, Tom Petty, Dobie Gray, Pink Floyd and more. Highlights included the group’s whimsical and bluesy instrumental, “Breakfast in Bed,” from their 2002 CD Songs About No One in Particular; also Bob dedicating Blackfoot’s “Highway Song” in memory of the late Don Ruzzi; and the group’s constantly crisp instrumentation and vocal harmonies. I was also fascinated by the unusual-looking bass Jeff was playing for most of this set; an Azula electric upright bass. And although still not a huge crowd in attendance at this point, a good number of the folks who were here cheered unanimous approval for Dreamcatcher’s performance; definitely one of the highlights of the weekend thus far.

Playing his Azula electric upright bass, Jeff McKee of Dreamcatcher.

Bob “Bobby Lee” Rubaker of Dreamcatcher.

Dreamcatcher entertains at “End Of Summer Jam.”

Once again, Dreamcatcher.

Marjie McKee of Dreamcatcher.

With the schedule still running behind, the final band of Day One, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys, wouldn’t take the stage until after midnight. But when they did take the stage, they made it count. Vinny, bassist Randy Ketner and drummer Jeff Van Clief roused the late night Cresson campers with a rowdy set of blues and blues-rock favorites and originals, including tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash, George Thorogood, John Lee Hooker, ZZ Top, Marshall Tucker Band and more. The group introduced two new original songs, “Lucky Charm” and “Barroom Floor,” and also performed “A Lot of Blues Around” from their debut CD The Blues You Can’t Refuse. The group honored a request from a couple of roaming late-night ladies for Ellas McDaniel/Eric Clapton’s “Before You Accuse Me;” and Jeff cranked out a midsong drum solo during Ellas McDaniel/George Thorogood’s “Who Do You Love.” Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys had a steady group of fans dancing in front of the stage and back by the bonfire, and the group built momentum as they proceeded – culminating in a finale medley that blended Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London” and Spin Doctors’ “Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong.” The group’s crisp execution and robust, upbeat performance ended Day One of “End Of Summer Jam” on a high note, and nicely set the stage for Day Two’s slate of entertainment.

Fat Vinny and Randy of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

E. Vincent “Fat Vinny” Kelly of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Once again, Fat Vinny and Randy of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Jeff Van Clief of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

DAY TWO: 8/22/04

I returned to the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club shortly after noon to take in the second half of “End Of Summer Jam.” Typically, the second day of the event was usually busier than the first day, so I was hoping to see a bigger audience on hand to witness this day’s musical proceedings.

As I arrived at the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds, unannounced musical entertainment was already under way onstage. Todd Hinkle, who has often opened up the Sunday side of this event in recent years, was seated, strumming an acoustic guitar and singing, while his sidekick Brian played congas. As Todd sang an assortment of tunes from Phish, Tom Petty, Beach Boys, Willie Nelson, the Rolling Stones and more, he shared details about his misadventures on the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds the night before. After a night of “End Of Summer Jam” merriment, Todd first fell into the Cresson Sportsmen’s fishing pond, and then later, into a rainwater-filled bog area near his campsite. This, Todd explained, was why he was dressed in green sweatpants this day while performing. What a wildman!

Brian and Todd, lazily kicking off Day Two of “End Of Summer Jam.”

The immediate itinerary of “End Of Summer Jam” was unclear at this point. Maryland’s Smokin’ Guns was slated to perform, but only two members were present. Musicians were rounded up to jam with these two players. While these musicians were being assembled, three-quarters of Pittsburgh’s Dreamcatcher stepped onstage to perform acoustic (without drummer). Singer/guitarist Marjie McKee, bassist Jeff McKee and guitarist Bob “Bobby Lee” Rubaker performed an interesting four-song selection: The Judds’ “Grandpa (Tell Me ‘Bout the Good Old Days),” Uriah Heep’s “The Wizard,” Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way” and the Eagles’ “Take It Easy.” As they did the night before while performing electric, Dreamcatcher sounded equally crisp and on the mark performing acoustic, again displaying strong vocal harmonies.

Back in acoustic form, three-quarters of Pittsburgh’s Dreamcatcher.

Again playing upright bass, Jeff McKee of Dreamcatcher.

At this point, the jam session between Smokin’ Guns members and other assembled musicians was ready to begin. Soundman Lone Wolf pronounced the celebration the “Interstate Jam.” These guys were apparently anxious to play, because before Lone Wolf could complete his sound preparations, the musicians haphazardly launched into a jam session. In the early going, this was a train wreck, with the musicians unclear on what they were going to play, and the sound mix not totally set in place yet. I heard feedback, distortion, and the gnashing of Lone Wolf’s teeth as he attempted to assemble the cacophony into some type of viable sound mix. As he did so, the musicians – including singer Greg and bassist Bill of the Smokin’ Guns, show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh on drums, John Saksa on guitar and another musician or two – played songs from the Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Black Crowes, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. It was what it was, a haphazard jam session featuring musicians who hadn’t played alongside one another before. It was sloppy, disorganized, distorted and unbalanced. But for the players involved, it was fun; and it honored the spirit in which Mickey Luckenbaugh organized this event 14 years ago to begin with – so musicians could get together and jam.

The “Interstate Jam,” featuring members of Maryland’s Smokin’ Guns and several area musicians.

”End Of Summer Jam” organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh, supplying the beat during the “Interstate Jam.”

After the jam session wound down, a change of pace in the show, as Sweet and Lowe Down got set to make their “End Of Summer Jam” debut. With her self-titled band on the shelf, Trace “Moran” Baker and guitarist/keyboardist/singer Rich Lowe have formed Sweet and Lowe Down. The pair performed classics from the Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Heart, Steely Dan, Wild Cherry and more. The pair pulled out a few surprises along the way; with Trace flexing her powerful vocal cords on Aretha Franklin’s “Respect,” Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet,” Linda Ronstadt’s “You’re No Good” and two Heart numbers; also a rendition of Ides Of March’s “Vehicle.” These two performers were instrumentally together, and Trace sang with maximum heart and gusto, commanding the audience’s attention and drawing appreciative cheers as the set progressed.

Belting out the voice, Trace Moran of Sweet and Lowe Down.

Rich and Trace of Sweet and Lowe Down.

More people were arriving as the afternoon progressed, and it was starting to look favorable that this year’s “End Of Summer Jam” attendance would be better than the past two years. Given the number of bands and the amount of work invested in organizing and publicizing this show, it was good to see these results, and more money raised to help out Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

The next band on the stage was Third Gear. Drummer/singer Jamie Shumack, bassist/singer D.J. Gates, and singer/guitarist Kip Woodring were just what this party needed – a solid, rowdy rock’n’roll thwack to the head to escalate the tempo and mood of the day. With Jamie handling most of the lead vocals, Third Gear rifled through a set of rowdy classic rock favorites, from George Thorogood, Grand Funk Railroad, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd and more. The group finished the set by introducing two of their own songs, the Kip-fronted “In A Town Near You” and “Find a Way.” Consistent with the rest of Third Gear’s set, these two songs were solid, classic-based old-school rock’n’roll. Third Gear was strong, their execution tight and delivered with muscle and gusto. Both Jamie and Kip were good on the vocal front, both confident and tuneful. Although I had only seen this band once before, this was the strongest set I’ve seen from Third Gear thus far, and it’s likely the group won a few more new fans courtesy of this performance.

Third Gear picks up the tempo at “End Of Summer Jam.”

Kip Woodring of Third Gear.

Jamie Shumack of Third Gear.

Again, Kip Woodring of Third Gear.

Once again, Third Gear rocks “End Of Summer Jam.”

Again, Jamie Shumack of Third Gear.

D.J. Gates of Third Gear.

The winner of this year’s “End Of Summer Jam” Drunk Of The Year Award is…

Since they were sharing a common drum kit, there was only a short intermission between Third Gear and the next band on the bill, Here We Go Again. I had never heard of this band before, and had no prior clue who was in the group. But as they took the stage, I realized that this was a new collaboration featuring several long time area music names. Scott Markel sang and played rhythm guitar, while wife Carol Markel sang. Mel Boose played lead guitar, Bill Mazak played bass, and Alan Newberry drums. Like Third Gear before them, Here We Go Again picked up the ball and ran with it, doing a variety of 70’s, 80’s and 90’s rock’n’roll. The group harmonized nicely on their set-opening rendition of Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Ohio,” and Carol and Scott both sounded good on their respective ends of the Creedence Clearwater Revival double-shot of “Green River” and “Suzie Q.” Here We Go Again also did good work on songs by John Mellencamp, The Who, Tracy Chapman, Matchbox 20, Fleetwood Mac, The Call and more. Like Third Gear, Here We Go Again also concluded their set with an original song, called “Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind.” Here We Go Again blended well onstage, and you could tell they were having a good time – the vibe permeated throughout the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds. This was indeed shaping up to be a good ol’ mountain party!

Here We Go Again keeps the party moving at “End Of Summer Jam.”

Here we go again with Here We Go Again.

Scott, Alan, Carol and Mel of Here We Go Again.

Alan Newberry of Here We Go Again.

Mel Boose of Here We Go Again.

Carol Markel of Here We Go Again.

Scott Markel of Here We Go Again.

Taking up a vantage point on my tripod, this fan wanted a better view of the action onstage.

Next was the only band to have played in all 14 “End Of Summer Jam” events so far, Felix & the Hurricanes. Rested up from “entertaining 5,000 drunk firemen who were in no shape to put out a fire” the previous night at the Bellwood Firemen’s Convention; Felix, Bob, Jeff and special guest Dick Kos lit up the Cresson Sportsmen’s stage with a set that showcased a number of the group’s original songs, before escalating into yet another unforgettable jam meltdown finale! The ‘Canes opened with one of their newer originals, “Cut That Line,” and followed with “Icy You,” “Walking A Straight Line,” “Little Ears,” “Summertime Love” and “Issues,” with and extended jam version of Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven” the lone cover song early on. The Hurricanes started to pick up the musical intensity on versions of the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider” and “Blue Skys,” and their popular original “Keep On Rockin.’” Then another guest entered the equation, as Tony Mollick stepped onstage and plugged in his guitar, setting the stage for the Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides” – this turned into an all-out Southern-styled guitar jam, with Felix, Dick, Tony and bassist Jeff standing toe to toe and pushing the song’s homestretch run to the heavens. This was one of those moments when fans stopped conversing with one another and just looked up at the stage, realizing they were witnessing pure electricity and excitement. Once again, leave it to Felix & the Hurricanes to put the “jam” in “End Of Summer Jam!”

Felix & the Hurricanes with guest Dick Kos kick off their set at the 14th “End Of Summer Jam.”

The Kos brothers, Dick and Felix, jam during the Hurricanes’ set.

Inspiring some stagefront dancing, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Carrie, dancing and having a good time during the Hurricanes’ set.

”Uncle Bud,” kicking back and taking in the Hurricanes’ fireworks.

Guest Tony Mollick joins Dick and Felix Kos onstage.

The guitar fireworks begin.

Dick, Tony, Felix and Jeff put the “jam” in “End Of Summer Jam.”

Dick Kos and Tony Mollick.

The guitar fireworks escalate…

Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a jam!

Bob Watters holds down the fort on drums.

Hurricanes guitar line nirvana is achieved!

Since once again, two bands were sharing equipment, there was almost no pause between Felix & the Hurricanes and the next band, Tony Mollick’s T.M.P. (Tony Mollick Project). The jam session continued into T.M.P.’s set, as Felix and Dick Kos remained onstage to help kick off T.M.P.’s set with a version of the Allman Brothers’ “Southbound.” Felix and Dick then left the stage, and Tony, bassist Fuzzy McGirk and drummer David Blake continued with a short set featuring the original songs “Forget About Me” and the funky “That’s Alright,” and a version of ZZ Top’s “Cheap Sunglasses.” Tony again dazzled on guitar, and the group again delivered some chunky, feisty grooves during their short time onstage.

As evening arrives, T.M.P. keeps the party going at “End Of Summer Jam.”

Fuzzy McGirk of T.M.P.

Tony Mollick of T.M.P.

Tony and Fuzzy of T.M.P.

David Blake of T.M.P.

Once again, Tony Mollick of T.M.P.

Evening descended upon the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds, and some of the crowd began to depart as Bad Daze prepared to perform. Singer Rob Carolus beckoned the remaining crowd to come up to the stage, as Bad Daze opened with a seven-song Motley Crue medley. Rob, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Harry Rainey proceeded to mix current and 80’s rock from Velvet Revolver, Godsmack, Nickelback, Ozzy Osbourne, Eminem, Megadeth and more. Rob’s throat sounded a little rough this day, but it didn’t dampen his enthusiasm, as he still excitedly rallied the crowd up front. Kenny again executed some fiery guitar soloing along the way, and the Rainey rhythm section (both unrelated, by the way) played it aggressive and hard-hitting. Although the crowd was thinning out, a number of those who remained were rocking along with Bad Daze near stagefront, and cheering the group as they proceeded.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Bad Daze rocks “End Of Summer Jam.”

Once again, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Harry Rainey of Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus and Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Once again, Kenny and Rob of Bad Daze.

An unexpectedly long intermission diminished the audience further before the weekend’s final band, Hair Force One, arrived onstage to celebrate the decade of decadence. Opening with Cinderella’s “Gypsy Road,” Hair Force One fired off 80’s hair band favorites en masse from Twisted Sister, Def Leppard, Accept, Bon Jovi, Guns’N’Roses, Poison, Quiet Riot and more. A big highlight for me during this set was observing just how accurately Hair Force One performed these 80’s classics. Michael J. Cox was nailing the guitar solos note-for-note on Twisted Sister’s “I Wanna Rock,” Def Leppard’s “Let It Go” and more; and the group was sweating the little details on a lot of songs. Frontman Victor Synn gave his usual fiery performance, displaying ample vocal range throughout the course of the set. After the group’s treatment of “Cum On Feel the Noize,” Victor presented show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh with a T-shirt in recognition of his work in putting together “End Of Summer Jam” over the years. There wasn’t much crowd left for Hair Force One to play to, but the group received appreciative cheers from the hardcore weekend warriors who remained.

Hair Force One provides the finale at the 14th “End Of Summer Jam.”

Phillip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Phillip DaPussee and Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Hugh G. Rection of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

Once again, Hair Force One.

Again, Hugh G. Rection of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One presents show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh with a T-shirt.

Quietly, with only a handful of fans left, another “End Of Summer Jam” drew to a close. Bolstered by the good attendance earlier this afternoon, this year’s “End Of Summer Jam” collected over $2,000 for Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. Although not the blockbuster crowds this event enjoyed in the mid and late 90’s, it was still refreshing to see more people supporting this year’s event, taking in the live music and sunshine, and enjoying the camaraderie and mountain air. Thanks again to all the bands and musicians who donated their time and talents (extra thanks to Dreamcatcher, who donated a bunch of CD's to sell, with the monies going to Children's Hospital), "Lone Wolf" Jeff Renner and Vicky the "She-Wolf" for running sound and putting in the longest weekend of all, show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh (who pulled an all-nighter Saturday night into Sunday to watch over the grounds and make sure nobody bothered either sound gear or campsites), Mazz's for providing the food, the Cresson Sportsmen's Club for the grounds, Get Closer to the Music, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Way for the jello shots, Uncle Bud and his buds for the ribs and hot dogs, and everybody who came out and supported this year's event. Again, it was an excellent time!

JUICED @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/22/04

Since “End Of Summer Jam” had ended by midnight, I was able to journey back down the mountain in time to take in the latter part of Juiced’s show at Pellegrine’s. I was curious about this Juiced show; to gauge if Altoonadom was accepting and supporting the new post-Carrie Juiced line-up in their second Pelly’s visit.

As I arrived, the answer was apparently yes, as a good-sized crowd was on hand to partake in Juiced’s party. I arrived early in the group’s final set of the evening, and singer Russ, bassist Peg, guitarist Norm, keyboard man Doug and drummer Darrell had the party well in hand, entertaining a turbulent dance floor crowd with a festive mixture of current rocking favorites, 80’s tunes and more. I detected some different tunes in this Juiced’s repertoire, including the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star” and Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny.” But a lot of this band’s show remained the same in the third set; ladies populated the stage as Norm crooned Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline;” Juiced did other familiar favorites like the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party),” Rage’s “Killing in the Name” and James’ “Laid.” And after the group finished up the set in a heavier vein with tunes from Pantera and Sevendust, the crowd beckoned them for an encore, and Juiced responded with – need you ask? – Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.” Some things never change…

I will give this updated Juiced line-up credit, though; the energy and enthusiasm seems to have returned. The group played it with more gusto and swagger, and seemed more determined to sell their viability to this Pelly’s crowd, and deliver the good time. While I still hope to see this band introduce more new material into their set lists, and introduce some long-awaited original songs into the repertoire, it seems that this Juiced roster is gelling and coming together well, and the fans – at least here at Pellegrine’s – are buying into this new edition. Time will tell if Juiced can continue this forward momentum, but at least for this night, it went well.

Russ of Juiced takes his party to the stagefront fans.

Once again, Russ, Juiced and the Pellegrine’s fans.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: