· Home
· Band Pages
· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Should an Accused Drunk Driver Face the Music?
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 24, 2004 

I offered to post this to raise awareness of a situation regarding an accused drunk driver involved in a fatal car accident in Elk County back in January.

The alleged drunk driver, Richard Schatz, was the other driver in the accident that claimed the lives of Tracy and Brenda Reed. (Tracy was the stage manager of the One Less Tear Band, and was involved in other area music projects over the years.) Below is a link to a newspaper story about the accident:

http://www.onelesstear.com/tracyreedmemorial/images/mem_progress1.jpg

It was brought to my attention that the Elk County District Attorney is considering a plea bargain agreement for Schatz, which could set him free after only a year of county prison time. Schatz was allegedly involved in a prior fatal drunk driving accident, but skated the first time.

A letter-writing campaign is under way to the District Attorney and presiding judge to explain why Schatz shouldn't go free, and should face trial. If you believe that he should face trial, you are asked to write a letter to the two addresses below. It is being requested that the letters be written and sent by November 29. Jury selection is slated for December 13, if this case goes to trial.

The addresses:

Elk County District Attorney
Bradley J. Kraus
P.O. Box 448
Ridgway PA 15853

Honorable Judge Masson
Judicial Chambers
P.O. Box 416
Ridgway PA 15853

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Saturday Nov 27, 2004 

Thank you Jim.....a little more info, Richard Schatz is also on the Elk County Drug and Alcohol Consortium, which the prosecuting DA is legal counsel for....fishy?
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Nov 30, 2004 

As much as I've done it over the years, this issue is near and dear to me, as by brother-in-law was killed by a drunk driver.

If you like, you can visit the tribute site I set up for my wife to my brother-in-law here: http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/4ronnie/

Unfortunately, while the arrests for DUI are up, someone that is guilty of vehicular homicide usually gets off with some prison time, maybe 3 years. For example, the person that killed my brother-in-law served 2 and a half years of his 5 year sentence and was paroled, despite protests from family and friends.

I am working with my in-laws to set up a website for Blair County MADD. If you or anyone you know needs the services of Blair County MADD, you can call 695-2927 twenty-four hours a day. The folks you'll want to talk to are Dave & Janie McConnell, my in-laws.

And let me clear up some confusion about MADD for anyone who despises them...

1. MADD is NOT in any way, shape, or form against alcohol or the consumption thereof. What MADD fights against is driving drunk.

2. There is no such thing as an alcohol-related accident. There are only alcohol-related crashes.

3. MADD is NOT a government- affiliated "lobby group". It is a support system for those directly and indirectly affected by DUI and alcohol-related crashes.

Some More Facts

-Although alcohol-related traffic deaths have decreased by 43 percent since MADD started, drunk driving still remains the nation's most frequently committed violent crime.

-More than 17,000 people are killed and more than half a million others are injured in alcohol-related traffic crashes each year.

-Underage drinking is America's No. 1 youth drug problem, killing more young people than all other illicit drugs combined.

-MADD is not against responsible alcohol consumption by those 21 and older.

In other words, contacting MADD is not going to get you an earful of "Alcohol is evil and you shouldn't drink" talk. Heck, my in-laws know that I enjoy and partake of hops and barley malt beverages. What you WILL get is support in your time of need, and access to resources that may help you cope.

Just remember, don't drink and drive, okay?

BTW, the number again, should you need it, is 695-2927. Ask for Janie or Dave. And if nobody is home, they will call you back, I promise.
KMFDM ROB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 18, 2005 

I know a lady at work, that was bitching because she has to do time for her 2nd DUI. What the hell do these people think, it's okay to risk someones life, because you're going to drive drunk.

If the guy was in a drunk accident before, then he should get in trouble this time. He used up his GOoJFC. (I didn't read the article, so my opinion is just biased, that driving wasted is wrong.)
JeffLeeper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday May 04, 2005 

Her 2nd. DUI ? What motivates people to get up in the morning ?

In a lot of cases , though it may not be a popular point of view , I feel bad for the driver....if he or she is remorseful. Not that they should get off scott free or anything , but it's a crime with multiple victims....one of them being , sadly , someone who wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone , but stupidly has.

DUI is a terrible charge , though the limits are a bit overblown.

Before you get mad , I know what I'm talking about. My brother...a musician....was killed by a drunk driver 3 days before his wedding.
John was 23 years old.

Conversely....my cousin was killed by a drunk driver....his 3rd count....and it wasn't until his 4th. that I completely wrote him off as a total and complete jerk. To do it again after killing a 14 year old girl ?
He should be in jail....drummer or not.
K-Skell

Post Posted: Friday Nov 18, 2005 

if you get caught...... then you should pay the price or jail time! Back when I was a kid growing up in Blair County, the cops would let people off or even better take that person home, but since people have been losing their lives over this, something had to be done about. Yeah, I been known to drink a little myself but getting behind the wheel is something I would not want to do. I had a friend who went to an a German- Irish festival up the mountain some 25 years ago and he was only 20 and was on leave from the military, well to make a long story short, he never made it home from the affair. He lost his life with another friend when they drove off the road and crashed down over the enbankment. To my things worst, another friend ( of mine) that I knew had to go down into the woods to retrieve the bodies the next day. Crying or Very sad

Doug Pinnick of King's X
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: