· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/18/04
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 04, 2005 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/18/04

BIG JIM & ADAM D @ BELMAR HOTEL, ALTOONA 10/12/04

It's a weird anomaly, I know, but this year for my birthday, I decided to celebrate by doing.NOTHING! There were a few factors involved. First, my own car was scheduled to have some brake work done, and I faced the prospect of getting up early the day after to get that matter handled; obviously, tying one on for my birthday the night before wouldn't work too well for getting up early the next day. And bottom line - I just don't relish the scenario of spending time hunched over a porcelain bowl heaving my guts out. That's not my idea of birthday fun any more, so I'm refraining from situations conducive to mass consumption of alcohol for my birthday. If anyone wants to treat me on my birthday in the future, get me beer chips so I can partake at my own time and situation, not all at once.

But while I wasn't up for out of control partying on my birthday, I was up for at least a little live music and a beer or two, so I headed to the Belmar Hotel to take in the weekly installment of Big Jim, Adam D (and sometimes Ron Dalansky). Ron wasn't present, but Fat Vinny was. A light crowd was in attendance to witness the tunes (I understand there were more people present earlier, including drum veteran Tim Yingling). Adam and Jim performed a haphazard selection of mostly classic rock favorites, and Adam's lounge interpretations of several surprise tunes along the way. Fat Vinny sang backing vocals on Kansas' "Dust in the Wind," and sang lead and played guitar on Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing." Other highlights while I was present included a Pink Floyd Wall medley, Adam's lounge treatment of The Outfield's "Your Love," the Jim and Adam version of Heart's "Barracuda" and more.

The mood was loose and laid-back, and the emphasis was on kicking back and having a good time, not rigid instrumental precision or artistic fulfillment. These three musicians were kicking back and having a good time, and the folks assembled to watch them were looking for a relaxing diversion to the tedium and boredom of a Tuesday evening. In all, an unimposing, relaxing good time.

BLIND JONNY DEATH @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/13/04

It was discovery time for me this night, and the new band I would set out to discover was Clearfield acoustic duo Blind Jonny Death, making their first Altoona appearance at the Hitching Post. I was curious to see what this pair was all about; particularly since the last time I had seen bassist Ed MacDonald in action, he was a member of one of the heaviest and most ferocious bands ever to surface from this area, Nine Six Nine.

Nowadays, Ed plucks and slaps the strings on an upright bass in Blind Jonny Death, and plays a radically different style of music from Nine Six Nine’s maniacal metalcore. Ed, now “Red,” along with Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave, play acoustic roots music, digging into the beginnings of country and rock’n’roll for their inspiration.

As I arrived and settled in at a table near stagefront, Blind Jonny Death were performing music from Muletrain, doing “Land of the Navajo.” After quipping about the difference between rock’n’roll and bluegrass while Slim tuned his guitar (“In bluegrass, they tune but never play; in rock’n’roll, they play but never tune”), the duo kicked into Hank Williams’ “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry.” Red and Slim did “Louise” (done by Leo Kottke, Bonnie Raitt and others), followed by Bob Dylan’s “Shelter from the Storm” and their own original song, “Driver Blues,” to finish the set.

The first time at the Hitching Post, and the first time this audience had likely heard much of this music, I was interested to observe initial response to Blind Jonny Death. At this point, there didn’t seem to be much response one way or another. This seemed to be a listening crowd early on, patient to hear this duo out and see what all was in their arsenal. At least a few musicians were in the house to check Blind Jonny Death out as well, and the early response I was hearing from them was favorable.

Soon Red and Slim resumed the music, starting with “Tell It to Me,” a traditional number done recently by Old Crow Medicine Show. Here we saw Slim breaking out harmonica for the first time. The pair continued with a bluegrass-flavored take on the Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker,” followed by Bob Dylan’s “You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere.” The duo did “Long Black Veil” (performed by Johnny Cash and The Band, among others), Hank Williams’ “My Bucket’s Got a Hole In It,” and Big Bill Broonzy’s “Long Tall Mama.” Blind Jonny Death then dipped into the Rolling Stones’ catalog for “Dead Flowers,” followed by a version of Waylon Jennings’ “Good Ol’ Boys.” It was then time for Red and Slim to break out some Elvis, and they did, with “Emily (His Latest Flame).” This was followed by an older country song (the title I didn’t catch) and Johnny Cash’ “Folsom Prison Blues” to close the set.

The Hitching Post crowd was growing more responsive to Blind Jonny Death and their unique repertoire. Red and Slim weren’t doing songs these folks heard every day; instead striving to turn some of these early roots favorites into the audience’s favorites. At least some of it was working; one audience member inquired about “Tell It To Me,” while others clapped along with more familiar favorites like “Folsom Prison Blues.” Enjoying what I was witnessing thus far, I ordered up a plate of Hitching Post gold wings and awaited the pair’s third set. I was joined by an accomplice, “Big Jim” Ricotta, in the house to satisfy his own curiosity and discover Blind Jonny Death for the first time as well.

Blind Jonny Death kicked off their nightcap set with something a little more recent, Traveling Wilburys’ “End Of The Line.” The pair continued with a mix of roots country and rock’n’roll, including Johnny Cash’s “Ring Of Fire,” Stealer’s Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle with You,” the Elvis triple-shot of “That’s All Right Mama,” “Devil In Disguise” and “Little Sister;” Johnny Cash’s “Cry Cry Cry,” Hank Williams’ “Move It On Over,” before ending the set with “Wagon Wheels.”

By this point, the Hitching Post crowd was heated up by Blind Jonny Death’s performance, and wanted to hear more. The duo kicked off their encore with another Traveling Wilburys tune, “Rattled,” continued with the Keith Allison-penned country song “Freeborn Man,” and finished the encore with Dr. Hook’s “Cover of the Rolling Stone.” As an added show of appreciation to their new legion of fans, Red and Slim took their instruments, stepped out to the main bar, and played a hillbilly jam directly to the fans, without amplification.

Blind Jonny Death’s first Altoona visit was a successful one. The group’s rootsy music blend and inspired performance won the audience and bar management over, and this would become the first of hopefully many Blind Jonny Death bi-weekly appearances during The Hitching Post’s ‘Country Night.’ I myself was captivated by the pair’s fresh song selection, as I heard several numbers I never heard before, plus others I had not heard in a long time. Blind Jonny Death’s presentation was upbeat and fun, but you also could discover some of rock and country’s roots by witnessing this duo’s song selection – they were educational! Based on this night, my first time witnessing Blind Jonny Death would definitely not be my last.

Red and Slim, a.k.a. Blind Jonny Death.

On harmonica and guitar, Marc “L.C. Slim” Prave of Blind Jonny Death.

Once again, Blind Jonny Death.

Ed “Red” McDonald of Blind Jonny Death.

Once again, L.C. Slim of Blind Jonny Death.

Having fun during their first Hitching Post appearance, Blind Jonny Death.

HERBIE/ALCHEMY @ THE BREWERY, STATE COLLEGE 10/14/04

After hearing their CD and having them as guests on Q94's "Backyard Rocker," I was curious to see what Harrisburg jam rockers Herbie were about on the live stage. Since they were paying a visit to State College's Brewery for a double-bill with local jamsters Alchemy, I figured I'd do the roadtrip this night to have a look.

The show was advertised to start at 9:30, and since Herbie was the opening act, I made the effort to get my day job duties completed in order to arrive by this start time. Despite this, though, I didn't arrive at The Brewery until nearly 10 PM, and figured I would miss most of Herbie's set anyway. Fortunately, though, The Brewery asked the bands to hold off starting until after 10, so I still arrived well in time to catch both bands.

Herbie - drummer Jeff "Ffej" Herb, singer/guitarist Jay Baab, guitarist/singer George Griffo and bassist Ben Eberts - kicked off their set with the closer from their High Impact CD, "Brand New," and followed with another song from the CD, "Cool Ethan." Herbie proceeded with some original numbers not on the CD; including an extended jam-flavored tune called "Russell," another with a more reggae-geared flavor (I believe "IYAG," going by the setlist on their website), "3rd Floor," "Steinbach" and "Toad." Herbie then performed the opening tune from High Impact, "Fudge," followed by a slower funk-geared number, "Traffic," and a final song, "Who?," where Ben broke out the trombone to add a brass touch.

Herbie's presentation was sharp, as the group mixed elements of rock, funk, jazz, reggae and other flavors into tight, concise grooves. While their overall style leaned towards the jam band side of the spectrum, Herbie operated more tightly and efficiently than many representatives of the genre. This group's jams were tight and organized, with focused passages that had definitive starts, plots and endings. Not a note went to waste, and there was no needless noodling or meandering. As such, Herbie's focused, streamlined approach kept their set moving steadily forward.

Herbie kicks off the night at The Brewery.

Jay Baab of Herbie.

Ben Eberts of Herbie.

Jeff “Ffej” Herb of Herbie.

Jay Baab and Ben Eberts of Herbie.

Once again, Ffej of Herbie.

More people were starting to arrive at The Brewery during the short changeover intermission, before Alchemy then took the stage. Alchemy's brand of jam-geared rock turned out to be a contrast to what Herbie had presented earlier. While Herbie's style was more focused and controlled, Alchemy's jams were more freewheeling and improvisational. Alchemy's first song, an uptempo, wild and wooly funk version of Pink Floyd's "Run Like Hell," clocked in at around 15 minutes! As their set continued to unfold, Alchemy left each jam become its own adventure, which stretched and meandered in its own course and direction. Singer/guitarist Josh Dominick, guitarist Stanton Custer, keyboardist Paul Rennie, bassist/singer Ben Thonus and drummer Todd Evans blended funk, rock, country, blues and more into their repertoire, mixing instrumental exploration and a sense of adventure into the mix. Included in their set was one jam that lasted an entire 30 minutes, also a version of the Rolling Stones' "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?," and more. The extended grooves weren't a bad thing, though, as much of The Brewery audience was ready to do some serious dancing and grooving along, and Alchemy's lengthy jam adventures gave these people no reason to want to sit down.

Two different bands, and two different styles of jam-geared rock proved to be an interesting contrast to observe this night. Herbie's minimal jam approach and Alchemy's extended improvisation provided two schools of thought within this territory that both bands dabble in. Both were good and effective at what they did, and this night presented an interesting study.

Alchemy provides the nightcap at The Brewery.

Josh Dominick of Alchemy.

Once again, Alchemy.

Stanton Custer of Alchemy.

Todd Evans of Alchemy.

Once again, Josh Dominick of Alchemy.

Again, Alchemy, kicking out the jam.

SIDESTEP @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 10/15/04

Many times, my choice on who to check out on a given night boils down to catching 'the new band in town.' This night, it was a new group - of veteran musicians - called Sidestep, playing at Peter C's.

Peter C's wasn't especially busy as I arrived early during Sidestep's second set. But there were a few people in the house, including some musicians. I joined the brothers Grimm, Kent and Kirk Tonkin, at a rear table to observe what Sidestep was up to.

Former Thin Ice singer/guitarist John Stevens, lead guitarist Greg Larrimore (I won't mention the last band he was in, except that he wore a kilt and didn't do Scottish music), former Backdraft/Trace Moran Band bassist Tim Kelly and longtime drum ace/singer Steve Brullia (most recently of Cosmic Lounge fame) were playing a selection of classic rock favorites, this set including tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Stealer's Wheel, Tom Petty, the Rolling Stones, War, Mountain and more. John handled the lion's share of lead voice chores, but Steve demonstrated capable singing skills on the Stones' "Honky Tonk Women." Other highlights during this set were Greg's scorching guitar solo on Gary Moore's "Still Got the Blues," and Sidestep breaking out Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky."

Sidestep sounded crisp thus far; obviously this line-up was gelling quite well since forming in August. Their instrumentation was tight and lively; and the vocals were satisfactory and on the mark. Each band member had opportunities to shine on his respective instrument, but all four blended well into a unified whole band effort.

The nightcap set brought its share of highlights. The group's selection this set included songs from Bob Seger, Neil Young, ZZ Top, George Thorogood, Marshall Tucker Band, Foghat, Joe Walsh and more. John broke out his harmonica to wail along to ZZ Top's "Tush," while Steve growled out the lead voice on George Thorogood's "I Drink Alone." Midway through the set, Sidestep introduced their first original song, "Sidesteppin,'" a classic-flavored blues/funk rocker. As Sidestep's performance entered the homestretch, the aforementioned Tonkin brothers joined the group onstage, spotting Tim and Greg on their respective instruments during Georgia Satellites' "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" and Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," with Kirk singing lead on the latter. Sidestep then finished out the night with Free's "All Right Now."

I came away impressed with my first look at Sidestep. These seasoned musicians had their chops together, and played with gusto and swagger. Their set list contained enough familiar favorites to keep the casual classic rock fan interested, yet contained enough fresh tidbits that not every other band was doing, which kept things fresh. The special guests at night's end were an added bonus. In all, a good introduction to Sidestep; and based on this night, I expect to make a point to encounter this band more frequently in my travels.

Tim Kelly of Sidestep.

Three-quarters of Sidestep; John Stevens, Tim Kelly and Greg Larrimore.

The other quarter of Sidestep, Steve Brullia.

One hundred percent of Sidestep.

Greg Larrimore of Sidestep.

Things take a somewhat “grimm” turn for Sidestep when Kent and Kirk Tonkin join John Stevens and Steve Brullia onstage.

Peter C’s Mary toasts “Otto” onstage with Sidestep.

Once again, Sidestep with the brothers Tonkin onstage.

THE FRONT REUNION 2 @ BAVARIAN HALL, ALTOONA 10/16/04

It had been nearly a year and a half ago since legendary Altoona rock band The Front reunited for a benefit show at Altoona's Bavarian Hall. That show turned into a blockbuster, as over 800 people came out to rekindle memories of the group's glory years of the 80's and early 90's. The Front made it worthwhile, sparing no expense with concert caliber production and sound, and making that first reunion into a special night to remember. The success of that night inspired The Front to stage a long-awaited sequel this night, again at the Bavarian Hall. Once again, the group promised full-scale production and more musical memories from their heyday. And again, it was a benefit show, with partial proceeds going to the Make A Wish Foundation of Western Pennsylvania.

A steady stream of people arrived as the start time of 9 PM approached, and a good-sized crowd was in the house for The Front reunion. It was looking promising early that this show's attendance might exceed the first reunion show.

At approximately 9 PM, the house lights started dimming, and a symphonic prelude sounded through the large sound system. The Front - singer Bob Gates, lead guitarist John McKelvey, keyboardist Harold Hayford, bassist Randy Rutherford and drummer Clint Carothers - marched to the stage and took up their respective positions, and kickstarted the evening's music with Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll." As they did during the first reunion, The Front reprised much of the 80's-era music they did in their earlier run on area stages, mixing in several of their original song favorites along the way. The dance floor instantly filled up as the group proceeded through such favorites as Red Rider's "Lunatic Fringe," Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark," Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning," Rod Stewart's "Lost In You" and more. Bob broke out a harmonica to wail along during the Romantics' "What I Like About You." The group continued with the Black Crowes' "Hard to Handle" and Billy Idol's "White Wedding;" before slowing it down and dipping into the 70's catalog for Pink Floyd's "Time." The Front then broke out their first original number of the night, their peace anthem "Lay Down Your Arms." The 80's memories continued with Honeymoon Suite's "New Girl Now" and Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone," where John took the spotlight with some guitar shred pyrotechnics. The Front kept the energy level high with Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell," before sending the show to intermission with their apocalyptic original favorite "Battleground for the Brave."

More people had continued to fill the Bavarian Hall as The Front's show got under way, and obviously this show would be a success for Make A Wish. Even though the Bavarian Hall was better staffed this night than during the first Front reunion show, the wait staff was still urgently working their tails off to keep up with the needs of the large crowd this night.

It was during the intermission that I heard the funniest quote of the night. Just down the table from where I was seated was a younger couple in their 20's. Looking around the room, the male half of the couple observed, "I've never seen so many old blondes in all my life!" In a way, he was right - many of the ladies who were here this night were blondes, and many had been followers of The Front during their 80's and early 90's heyday, and had the wrinkles and crow's feet to show for it. Yet I thought to myself that in 15-20 years, this guy's better half would be in the same boat, and some young buck would be making that remark about her. Still, that comment had me snickering.

Soon, The Front returned to the stage to continue the party, and started back into the 80's vein with Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax" and Simple Minds' "(Don't You) Forget About Me." Bob Gates then introduced the one song many of the people in the house had come to hear, the group's 1983 regional hit single "Girl Like You." Eddie Money's "Shakin'" culminated in a Randy Rutherford bass solo, which bridged into The Alarm's "Sold Me Down the River." The Front then dipped into the 60's for Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" and the Moody Blues' "Nights in White Satin," progressed into the 70's with Grand Funk Railroad's "I'm Your Captain," before returning to the 60's again for Deep Purple's "Hush." Alice Cooper's "Be My Lover" and AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds" led to another 80's favorite, The Fixx's "Red Skies At Night," and The Front's popular late 80's single, "Still the Rain." The group then dug into the Led Zeppelin catalog for "Kashmir," before ending their set with Grand Funk's "We're An American Band."

The large crowd quickly let the band know they wanted to hear more, and started calling for the encore. It didn't take long for The Front to respond, as the group fired into "Wild One," the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Do You Wanna Dance" to close the night.

The Front showed very few signs of rust this night, and their performance displayed much the same energy and vitality of their earlier peak. Bob Gates' voice was in good form, and showed little, if any, wear. Instrumentally The Front was again strong, with John McKelvey and Harold Hayford performing with added zest and flair, turning it up a notch with heated solos and fills. The lights and production were again excellent, making the presentation sound and look big.

This show again reprised the music and grandeur of one of Altoona's most popular bands ever. The Front again came, saw and conquered - not only bringing back memories for the hundreds of their longtime fans in attendance, but creating new memories and winning new fans in the process. And as was the case with the first Front reunion show, more than a few audience members expressed the desire to see The Front resume things on a full time basis again. It was another memorable night.

Once again reunited and rocking hundreds of fans, The Front.

Bob Gates of The Front.

Bob, Randy and John from The Front.

Randy Rutherford of The Front.

Once again entertaining a large audience, The Front.

With a blue and starry haze, The Front.

Again in blue and starry mode, The Front.

Bob Gates and Randy Rutherford of The Front.

Harold Hayford of The Front.

Clint Carothers of The Front.

Once again, Harold Hayford of The Front.

Once again, Bob Gates of The Front.

Once again, Clint Carothers of The Front.

From another angle, Bob Gates of The Front.

John McKelvey of The Front.

The sound and production crew, making it look and sound huge…

Bob, John and Randy of The Front.

Also playing rhythm guitar this night, Bob Gates of The Front.

The Front and a busy dance floor.

Also contributing some rhythm guitar, Harold Hayford.

Keeping the crowd happy, the reunited Front.

SOMETHING FLUID @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 10/16/04

Since there was still time left for bandwatching following the Front reunion show, I headed across town to City Limits to finish out the night with Something Fluid.

This was Something Fluid’s first Altoona appearance in the better part of a year, and their first-ever City Limits appearance. The group had disbanded briefly earlier this year, but reconvened in early summer.

With the Front reunion going on, plus regional favorites Giants of Science up the street at the 4D’s Lounge, I was hoping that Something Fluid didn’t make the roadtrip in to play to crickets. I was relieved when I arrived and saw the parking lot close to full; and while not a huge crowd inside, at least there were enough people there to make it a party. Something Fluid was on break as I entered, and after band members touched base with me briefly, it was back to the stage to give the City Limits audience one last round of musical fun.

The latest edition of Something Fluid; frontlady Gretchen, guitarists Chris and C.J., former Juiced drummer Don, and - on loan from fellow Harrisburg party band Creamsicle - bassist Phil; kicked back into action with Fountains Of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom," which quickly drew audience members back onto the dance floor. The party intensified as Chris led the group on House Of Pain's "Jump Around," and Gretchen put the dancers through their new wave calisthenics with Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun." Something Fluid continued in the 80's vein with the next three songs, Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It," which interestingly segued into Survivor's "Eye Of The Tiger," and Poison's "Talk Dirty to Me." The group then stepped the intensity up briefly, as Chris barked out the lead voice on Papa Roach's "Last Resort." The band then returned to the 80's for Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again." The party shifted back into current rock mode for Puddle Of Mudd's "She Hates Me," before Something Fluid slammed the lid on their set with Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name." It didn't take a whole lot of persuasion from the dance floor crowd to coax one last song out of Something Fluid; the group finished out the night with Drowning Pool's "Bodies."

Something Fluid looked happy to be back to full-scale action, and happy that a number of Altoona area fans hadn't forgotten about them during their brief hiatus. The group's execution was tight and crisp, even with surrogate bass player Phil temporarily filling the bottom-end gap. Frontlady Gretchen again demonstrated her knack for keeping the dance floor involved, motivated and festive, constantly working all parts of the stage to keep the revelers interested and focused on the party. Something Fluid kept the pace uptempo and nonstop; once they triggered the party, it kept on moving forward to the end.

Although not a packed house, Something Fluid's first foray into City Limits was a convincing good time, and showed this observer that this Harrisburg party juggernaut was back and again firing on all cylinders. Here's hoping this resumes a steady diet of Something Fluid parties to the area; I know I'll be back for more!

Surrogate bassist Phil, Chris and Gretchen of Something Fluid.

Gretchen of Something Fluid, taking it to the fans.

An audience member tries her hand at vocals during Something Fluid’s performance.

Once again, the onstage guest.

Chris of Something Fluid.

Surrogate bassist Phil of Something Fluid.

Again, Chris of Something Fluid.

Don of Something Fluid.

Once again, Chris of Something Fluid.

C.J. of Something Fluid.

Getting lowdown for “Blister In the Sun,” Something Fluid.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES “BLUES CRUISE” ON BOARD THE PROUD MARY @ LAKE RAYSTOWN 10/17/04

Although most of the weekends during this past October turned out to be rainy ones, lead Hurricane Felix Kos again demonstrated his knack of picking a Sunday that it did not rain to schedule the Hurricanes' annual Fall Blues Cruise, aboard the "Proud Mary" riverboat on Lake Raystown. Grand party that this always is, I was there!

The journey to Raystown provided me with an involuntary opportunity to hear William Hung's Inspiration CD; Big Jim's punishment after ride cohort Guv'nor Jesse was 40 minutes late meeting up with us. It gave me a chance to observe the American Idol reject's singing 'talents' (or lack thereof), and made me all the more anxious to hear Felix & the Hurricanes once I boarded the boat!

It was a little bit chilly and in the upper 40's as the cruise began; and would get colder as the sun began to set during the course of the trip. But the music on the top deck was hot, as Felix, bassist Jeff Clapper and drummer Bob Watters entertained a happy deckload of Blues Cruisers with their mixture of original songs and classic rock, Southern rock and blues favorites. Highlights and highjinks were numerous; from the hot classic rocking medley of CCR's "Green River," the Hollies' "Long Cool Woman," CCR's "Suzie Q" and "Long Tall Sally;" to the Isley Brothers/Beatles’ “Shout;” Half Tempted’s “Big Jim” Ricotta serving up guest guitarwork on Georgia Satellites’ “Keep Your Hands to Yourself” and Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild;” the improvised verse lyrics on Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven” (“How deep is Raystown?”) and more. Musicians again had to duck when the ‘Proud Mary’ cruised underneath the Route 994 overpass. The captain’s helm changed hands several times during the trip, between the actual captain, “Ramblin’ Rose” and Hurricane Felix. (Guv’nor Jesse wanted to captain the boat and run it the full length of Raystown Lake, but the crew declined his offer.)

After two sets, the Hurricanes opted for one long song to send the cruise home as the ‘Proud Mary’ returned to dock – Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird.”

Despite the colder temperatures, this year’s Hurricanes Fall Blues Cruise was still a good time, with good tunes, friends, fall colors and foliage, and the autumn air on Lake Raystown. It all definitely made it worth suffering through William Hung’s Inspiration to be a part of.

The Hurricanes, bluesin’ and a cruisin.’

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes, happy to be cruisin.’

Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

Felix sings, while Big Jim plays guitar.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Once again, Felix and Big Jim.

In the bright autumn sun, Big Jim and Hurricane Bob.

Hurricane Bob receives some liquid nourishment during the Blues Cruise.

Bassist Jeff Clapper also takes in some unexpected liquid refreshment during the Blues Cruise.

With Big Jim helping out on guitar, The Hurricanes continue the good vibes on deck.

As George Michael might say, “You gotta have Faith”…from the Hitching Post, helping out on vocals.

Harry Bottoms helps out Jeff Clapper with vocals.

Hurricane Bob.

Once again, Faith helps out on vocals.

Bob, Jeff and Faith having fun aboard the ‘Proud Mary.’

Jeff Clapper and a fan, having fun on the Blues Cruise.

Look out – Bridge!

Hurricane Felix ducks under Route 994.

Once again, Hurricane Felix.

Once again, Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Big Jim and Hurricane Jeff.

Hurricane Felix becomes Captain Felix.

POPTART MONKEYS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/17/04

After logging some “Backyard Rocker” time at the station and taking care of some more work-related chores, I headed to Pellegrine’s for my weekend finale, with tunes and craziness provided by the Poptart Monkeys.

I arrived just after the start of the group’s final set of the evening, and this party was ON! As I advanced towards the stage, I soon realized just how crazy it was in the stagefront trenches; as a group of off-duty exotic dancers were putting on their best moves for the band in front of bassist James Balogach’s right side of the stage. On the left side of the stage, in front of guitarist Chris Kurtz, a very well-endowed 21st birthday celebrant wasdancing wildly while getting her best drunken stupor on. Before set’s end, both sides of the stagefront area would be “showing off” for the band and the stagefront fans, as this party achieved its crescendo.

Onstage, the Poptart Monkeys built things up to that crescendo with their mixture of current, classic rock favorites, and original songs. The group kept things lively with tunes from Green Day, Blink 182, Rage Against the Machine, Smile Empty Soul, a short medley fusing together the unlikely combination of Stroke 9’s “Little Black Backpack,” Bad Company’s “Feel Like Making Love” and Danzig’s “Mother;” along with Poptart originals like “What Can I do” and “Stung.” After their set and crazy female tricks at stagefront concluded, the crowd of Pelly’s revelers demanded an encore. The Poptart Monkeys responded with The Darkness’ “I Believe in a Thing Called Love.”

The Poptart Monkeys’ trademark craziness with a touch of nudity made for a rowdy lid-slamming on this weekend. A good time!

The Poptart Monkeys have the party going full blast at Pellegrine’s.

Girls just wanna have fun when the Poptart Monkeys come to town…

More craziness continues…

James, Chris and Tyson share a microphone.

The Poptart party continues to escalate…

Chris and Tyson of the Poptart Monkeys proudly present…

A 21st birthday celebrant dances to the Poptart Monkeys.

21st birthday fever continues...

Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys.

Tyson gives the 21st birthday reveler extra reason to get wild and crazy.

Rob Hampton of the Poptart Monkeys.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: