· The Forums
· The Final Cut
JP'S HIGHLIGHT REEL - 2004
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 04, 2005 

JP’S HIGHLIGHT REEL – 2004

Once again we turn the page into another year, and as we do so, it’s time for me to assess some highlights from 2004; including music scene moments, albums, photos, and whatever else I can think of along the way. Let’s start with favorite highlights I witnessed during 2004. These are in no particular order:

1) THE ROCKPAGE BENEFIT JAM AT PETER C’S. When it was learned that Rockpage incurred some expenses while upgrading servers, Hurricanes drummer Bob Watters set the wheels in motion for the first Rockpage Benefit Jam, which happened in late January at Peter C’s. This turned into an absolutely electric night, as a wide variety of Rockpage member bands and musicians – some 38 performers in all – got together for a fun evening of individual band performances and jam sessions. The night-ending “all-star jam” was an unforgettable sight, with Peter C’s stage overflowing with musicians joining in the party and jamming. And although the benefit was for Rockpage, website main man Ron instead donated the proceeds to help out former Hurricanes drummer John McKnight with his medical expenses. A very special night.

2) JOHN McKNIGHT JAM NIGHT AT CITY LIMITS. A year ago, former Hurricanes drummer John McKnight – now residing in Atlanta – almost lost his life from a severe digestive disorder that occurred just before Thanksgiving. John was sidelined from playing drums and earning income for six months, and had to undergo several surgeries along the way. Fully recovered and back home for the holidays in late December, John put together a special show at City Limits so he could get together and jam with his musical friends on the Altoona scene. This turned into an incredible evening of music, as a who’s who of Altoona music names joined John onstage and generated some stunning jams. If there is ever an Altoona music scene ‘Hall of Fame,” many of the future inductees were on the stage this night!

3) BLIND JONNY DEATH AT THE HITCHING POST. As anybody who has witnessed Clearfield acoustic roots duo Blind Jonny Death’s bi-weekly Wednesday night Hitching Post appearances can attest, these shows have been getting wilder and more fun with each performance. During their final December show just before Christmas, Red and Slim showed just how intense and rocking an acoustic guitar and an upright bass can get! The intense ending on “Land of the Navajo,” the Elvis sock hop with the wild couple dancing, and the heated finale performance of “That’s Alright” were all highlights, with John Stevens adding harmonica during the last set. A fun night – if you haven’t seen them yet, make a resolution to catch a Blind Jonny Death show in 2005!

4) THE LEEPER FIRE BENEFIT AT CITY LIMITS. After Classic Cats singer/guitarist Jeff Leeper and his family lost their house to fire in early October, Bad Daze frontman Rob Carolus organized the Leeper Fire Benefit at City Limits to raise monies to help Jeff and his family out. This benefit turned into a special and fun night, with performances by Never Enough, Jeff’s own band, Classic Cats, Bad Daze and Hair Force One. Good music, fun vibe, and another shining example of this area’s music community pulling together to help out a brother in need.

5) VELCRO FLY AT CITY LIMITS. When former Ozone Rangers bandmates Bob Muhlbauer, Bill Nusom and Henry Randazzo put this show together in late August, they wanted it to be an informal jam get-together without all the glam, bells and whistles of an official Ozone Rangers reunion. So the band was advertised as Velcro Fly, a ZZ Top tribute. Although attendance was light, a number of those who did attend were “in the know” Ozone Rangers fans. As the night progressed and the three musicians got re-acquainted with each other, the former Ozone Rangers vibe took over, and it turned into a fun celebration of classic rock, ZZ Top and Ozone Rangers memories.

6) THE CASTLE PUB METALFEST. In late July, Ebensburg’s Castle Pub staged their first-ever Metalfest, bringing together four of this state’s top metal bands – Rennis, Spinebelt, The Grimm and Skell. Each band presented its own distinctive style and slant, with a good-sized crowd of metal connoisseurs taking it all in. There was mutual admiration and respect between all four groups, as they stuck around and cheered one another on. All four bands likely earned new fans this night; hopefully we’ll see more such Metalfests in 2005.

7) THE GOOD RATS @ ST. CLAIR PARK, GREENSBURG. Although it wasn’t a local show, I still had to include this one as a personal highlight of my year. After finding out that “the world’s most famous unknown band,” The Good Rats, were playing a free show at St. Clair Park in Greensburg, I made the two-hour roadtrip to check it out. Now featuring original singer Peppi Marchello and his two sons, Gene and Stefan; the Rats played their best-known songs (well, at least best-known to their cult following, including yours truly) and some new material from their alter-ego, Dum. I got to hear old Rats favorites like “Takin’ It to Detroit,” “Mr. Mechanic” and “Local Zero,” and got my vinyl copy of the From Rats to Riches album autographed by Peppi! I wound up buying Dum’s album, Play Dum (it smokes, review coming soon), and I’m even considering attending the group’s annual Ratstock outdoor gig/camping party (held near Scranton) this summer! After their years of chasing the national spotlight in the 70’s and early 80’s, this current edition of The Good Rats/Dum is now a regional/indie band, playing the New York/New Jersey/New England bar circuit and whatever other gigs come along. Although I also got to see Rush, Metal Church and Bob Dylan for the first time ever this past year, seeing the Good Rats (or this edition of them) for the first time was the most personally rewarding for me.

8) RETROACTIVE’S FAREWELL @ CASTLE PUB. Farewells aren’t supposed to be this much fun! When popular area 80’s retro rockers RetroActive played their swan song at their home base, Ebensburg’s Castle Pub, it was an incredible high-energy party from start to finish before a packed house! This whole night was one big adrenaline rush, with nonstop tunes, ladies dancing atop speakers, inflatable props cascading throughout the crowd, guest appearances from former band members Kent and Kirk Tonkin plus members of Hair Force One, and John Solinski trashing a guitar at night’s end! This party was so festive, people were still gathered and buzzing outside the Castle Pub an hour after the show ended!

9) NORMAN NARDINI’S REDEMPTION CD-RELEASE PARTY @ MOONDOGS. Pittsburgh rock legend Norman Nardini celebrated the release of his new album of updated Norman classics, Redemption, with a CD-release party at Moondogs in the northern Pittsburgh suburb of Blawnox in September. This night featured Norman performing a number of songs from the album, joined onstage along the way by fellow Pittsburgh music scene dignitaries such as Glenn Pavone and Tom Valentine of the Cyclones, blues diva Shari Richards, teenaged guitar phenom Zack Weissinger and more. I’ll also remember this show because several of the Pittsburgh area roads we traversed to get there were under water from Hurricane Ivan’s rainy remnants less that 24 hours later!

10) “OTTO’S LAST STAND;” THE GRIMM @ PETER C’S. After guitarist Kirk “Otto” Tonkin announced he was stepping away from The Grimm, the group bid him farewell with this special finale at Peter C’s in August. This night featured a farewell cake, speeches and addresses from Kirk’s bandmates and other music scene dignitaries (including members of Num), a huge autographed band photo for Kirk, and – for the finale – Kirk getting showered with silly string during the final song of the night. The after-party at King’s was a highlight as well, but “what happens at the Grimm breakfast table, stays at the Grimm breakfast table!

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Pivot’s set at Rock The House in August, Felix & the Hurricanes with Tony Mollick at End Of Summer Jam, John Solinski & Ken Karlheim’s final Hitching Post show (the night of the chair-top dancing ladies), Hurricanes fall Blues Cruise, The Front Reunion show at Bavarian Hall, the Heather Mallory Benefit at the Oriental Ballroom, Norman Nardini/Mannish Boys at Bavarian Hall, Stone Krow reunion gig at Westmont Gardens, Flight 19 & Negative Space double-bill at 4D’s Lounge, Backstreet Law’s “Summerfest” near Wellsboro. (Hell, that’s ten more shows, I could have made a list of 20 highlights!)

JP’s TEN FAVORITE LOCAL/REGIONAL CD’S OF 2004:

Again, most of the new albums I listened to over the past year were albums from right here in the local area and region. I didn’t get to hear everything this state put out in 2004, but out of the many I did hear, these are my favorites (in no particular order)…

1) TED McCLOSKEY – SIXTY CYCLE HUM Altoona native and Maxwell Strait guitarist Ted McCloskey came up with one of the year’s freshest-sounding albums with his second solo effort, Sixty Cycle Hum. Ted fused a variety of styles around crisp melodies, giving each song a different flavor. Gritty blues meets electronic funk; Beatles-like melodies meet country twang. There’s muscular Stones-like rockers and delta blues-flavored experiments; even an Australian didgeridoo shows up on one song! My personal favorite tracks include the opener “That Much Closer To…,” “Looking Good in the Coffin,” “Strange Strange Girls” and “The Cynic of Sunshine Street.” But this whole album sounds great, and maintains a fun, whimsical vibe throughout. Overall, probably my favorite local album of 2004. (To obtain, visit the website www.tedmccloskey.com.)

2) DEVIANCE – CONTAGION For pure, unadulterated power metal, it didn’t get much better than the debut album from Johnstown’s Deviance, Contagion. After “Manifesting” rips your face off to open the album, Deviance keeps the intensity and brutality up for the duration. Brutal, heavy, snarling sonic assaults topped with Eric Voeghtly’s melodic vocal edge made for a lethal combination on album highlights like “Blind Leading the Blind,” the title cut “Contagion,” the ferocious “Burn,” “Tripwire” and “Confession.” Deviance also lends their brash roar to INXS’ “Devil Inside.” Although Eric’s departure and personnel shuffling slowed the group’s momentum later in the year, Contagion still offers kickass testimony to Deviance’s ferocity and firepower. Here’s hoping the group can resume the onslaught in 2005. (To obtain, visit the website www.deviance1.com.)

3) SUTURE SEVEN – SUTURE SEVEN After two experimental and adventurous albums, Harrisburg techno rockers Suture Seven came up with their most focused effort on their self-titled third album. The overall songwriting was stronger and more concise; and the group’s ever-changing electronic sonic tapestries kept things interesting throughout the disc. Highlights included the opener “Apparatus of Demise,” “Exsanguinate,” “Forever,” “Suffice,” “Echoed,” “Macrocosm;” the more shadowy “Fractured,” “Cold” and “Resistance;” and the neo-Addams Family-flavored gothic soundscape of “Wither.” Unfortunately, Suture Seven called it quits before the end of the year; but this self-titled debut serves as a strong epitaph to the alluring brand of techno rock and electronica this band was capable of delivering. (To obtain, visit the website www.sutureseven.com - at least while the site is still active!)

4) STRONGHOLD – PORTALS OF ILLUSION Fans of old-school classic heavy metal found plenty to rejoice on the debut album by Pittsburgh’s Stronghold, Portals Of Illusion. High-flying, siren-like vocals courtesy of frontman Kevin Rasel, virtuoso guitar leads courtesy of axe shredder Alex Demos, anchored by a battering rhythm section – all combined to deliver detailed songs with powerful melodies and 3- and 4-part vocal harmonies. The opening three tracks; “Power Rises,” the group’s title “Stronghold” and “Cyclone” start the album in furious fashion, setting up for more complex exercises like “Enemy Within” and “Fractured,” “Ironheart,” the space travel ode “Ad Astra” and more. Even the bonus track remake of Abba’s “S.O.S.” pounds! For fans of Maiden, Priest, Dio and Queensryche-flavored metal, Stronghold’s Portals Of Illusion was the ticket in 2004! (To obtain, visit the website www.strongholdmetal.com.)

5) SPITSHINE – TRANSAUDIO The sophomore effort from Lehigh Valley rockers Spitshine, Transaudio, was high-powered, rocking fun! Spitshine provided more ear candy melodies, while stepping up the tempo and rocking harder. Take your pick of song highlights: “Satellite,” “Even More,” “Fall Away,” “I-H8-U,” the ska-flavored “No Good,” and milder numbers such as the brass-tinged “Dancefloor” and the Lehigh Valley Music Awards-nominated single “Mandalyn.” Frontman Bryan Harmony delivers his words with ample sass and swagger, and the rest of Spitshine drives these songs home with crispness and flair. Transaudio showed Spitshine upping the ante and the energy level; and the album convincingly states the argument in favor of this band soon advancing to the next level. Watch out! (To obtain, visit the website www.spitshinemusic.com.)

6) PROJECT TWELVE(34) – SMALL ETERNITY Ten years after the dissolution of his prior band, Ask a Stranger; guitarist Dave Buzard was back with his own studio project, Project Twelve(34), dabbling in electronica and techno. Project Twelve(34)’s debut, Small Eternity, features Dave exploring electronic and techno frontiers, merging these new worlds with various electric guitar flavors and effects. The results are hybrid forays into gothic, ambient, dancebeat, and even cinematic groove-styled realms. My favorite tracks here include the terse opener “Restless and Rusted,” the uptempo “Terminal Torque,” and the quirky and restless “Can’t Sleep (Can’t Hope).” Dave’s experiments in the electronic music realm make for an interesting and intriguing listen; and Small Eternity is one of the more adventurous albums to come out of 2004. (To obtain, visit the website www.projecttwelve34.com.)

7) SEVER – SEVER Dubois heavy rockers Sever announced their loud and rowdy arrival in 2004 with this punishing self-titled debut. With a sound rooted in Pantera, Sever explored brutal, dark and aggressive metal sounds; mixing in interesting chord and tempo shifts, shadowy textures and lyrics dealing with introspection, good vs. evil and more. “Fall Away” received exposure via internet and broadcast radio, and The Underground TV. Other highlights included “Gag Reflexx,” “Empty Place” and “Torment.” Recorded on a small budget in the group’s home facilities, Sever offers a good introduction to this group’s brand of firepower. (To obtain, visit the website www.2sever.com.)

8) THE MARAUDERS – MIDNIGHT RHYTHM Area roots rockers The Marauders slimmed to a trio and fattened their sound on their sophomore album, Midnight Rhythm. Singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, upright bassist Chris Lawson and drummer Abe Weber continued to rock’n’roll like it was 1959, with new boisterous anthems such as “Last Call,” “Dead Of Night,” the shout-along “She Put a Curse On Me,” the blue-collar ode “Tow the Line,” the corporate radio blast “Kill Pop Radio” and an update of “My Revolver.” The production is fuller and deeper, and the trio executes with more fire and swagger. Close your eyes and Midnight Rhythm will put you in the middle of a 50’s-era back alley, with James Dean baring a switchblade and ready to rumble…Very good album! (To obtain, visit the website www.themarauderspa.com.)

9) NORMAN NARDINI – REDEMPTION The “Last True Man of Pittsburgh Rock’n’Roll,” Norman Nardini, stepped back into his archive to bring ‘redemption’ to a number of his classics from the late 70’s through 80’s on his latest album, Redemption. Norman, bassist Harry Bottoms and drummer Whitey Cooper stripped the songs of excess studio gloss and polish and back to their basic element, capturing the sound he envisioned when he first wrote them. The album featured updates of Norman favorites like “Rock and Roll City,” “High Times” and “Love Dog;” along with deeper and more obscure tracks like “Gorilla” and “A Man Like Me.” These updated, bare-knuckles versions are closer to the spirit of Norman’s live show. Redemption is a good primer for the Norman Nardini beginner, and essential for longtime Norman fans. (To obtain, visit the website www.normannardini.com.)

10) LORDS A LEAPING – LORDS A LEAPING VOLUME 2 Yes, a Christmas album made my favorites list! Two years after the first Lords A Leaping venture; John Cimino, Adam and Jennifer Bell, Michael Hughes, Brett Albert, Blind Jonny Death, John Wagoner and Kevin Roessner assembled to do it again, this time even better! Lords A Leaping Volume 2 featured more variety, from traditional Christmas sounds to big band, folk, rock, jazz, a seafaring carol and more. The original compositions all shine, and the performances are all heartfelt and inspired. This album was my favorite listen over this Christmas season; if these musicians can continue to issue this strong caliber of Christmas and holiday music on subsequent releases (they’re already considering a Volume 3 for late 2006 release), we might someday be mentioning Lords A Leaping in the same breath as Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra! (To obtain, visit the website www.thunderboxmusic.com.)

HONORABLE MENTIONS: PORK McELHINNY – THE BOY IN THE MAN, J.D. STRUM – JUST ANOTHER STORY, GRANTHAM ROAD – DESPERATE TIMES, SEARCHING FOR GLADYS – SEARCHING FOR GLADYS, K8 – SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING, TEXAS JERRY – LESSON LEARNED!, THE MAD COWS – LIFE SUCKS BUT WHO’S TRYING?, THE CENTRAL-PA CHRISTMAS COMPILATION.

JP’S 50 FAVORITE PHOTOS OF 2004:

A picture can tell a thousand words, and some of these could probably tell more than that! Of all the hundreds of photos I took over the past year, these are the ones that stood out above the rest for me (48 of them; two of them I obviously did not take, the ones I was in!). A number of these you’ve likely seen before if you regularly read “JP’s Corner;” a few of them are new. Here is my photographic journey through 2004…Enjoy!

1. Felix Kos of the Hurricanes, with guest ‘Burgh axeslinger Tony Mollick, captured in the heat of a guitar duel during the homestretch of a Peter C’s show in January.

2. Singer Tyson Clark and guitarist Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys, demonstrating their best Texas Two-Step abilities during a Pellegrine’s show in early January.

3. A logjam of musicians crowded onto Peter C’s stage during the homestretch jamfest at the Rockpage Benefit in late January.

4. Celebrating after a wildly successful double-bill party at the 4D’s Lounge in February, Negative Space & friends, Brian from Flight 19 and yours truly.

5. During the heat of performance during their first-ever Pellegrine’s appearance in February, Mike Weber and Ted Depto of Hi-Tyde.

6. Meanest-looking Drummer Of The Year Honors go to Rich Palone of Skell for this malevolent scowl, displayed during Skell’s February Aldo’s performance.

7. Stronghold drummer Chris Batton towers above his kit during the group’s first Aldo’s visit in February.

8. During the annual 814 Riot at the Castle Pub in March, Pittsburgh punksters The ReJX, with mascot Nerdball, fire up the party in the Dungeon.

9. During Banditos' Cinco de Mayo party at The Hitching Post, Billy Nusom, guest Duane “Appliance Outlet” Sipe and Phil Wagner bring the fiesta onstage.

10. Big Jim – Chick Magnet! “Big Jim” Ricotta attracts a guest during a performance with Adam D at the R-Bar in Hyde (near Clearfield) in May.

11. “Stick it in your ear!” That’s what John Solinski did to guest percussionist Kevin Siegel during a John & Ken Karlheim show at the Hitching Post in May.

12. Victor Synn of Hair Force One, during a Relay for Life cancer benefit at City Limits in late May.

13. John Solinski, celebrating his axe-smashing finale at the end of RetroActive’s farewell show at Ebensburg’s Castle Pub in June.

14. Anybody at Q94’s Harley Giveaway at Lakemont Park in June will no doubt remember this wildman, Wolfie, who danced in front of the stage while Hair Force One performed. Wolfie stopped dancing, though, when his name wasn’t drawn in the first elimination round to win the bike.

15. Again during RetroActive’s farewell show at the Castle Pub in June, drummer Red Dawg straps on the bass and goes nuts.

16. During the waning moments of the Central PA Festival of the Arts in State College in July, Rodney “R.T.” Thompson of The Earthtones leads the band during the group’s reggae street party finale.

17. During the Castle Pub Metalfest in late July, Kirk “Otto” Tonkin of The Grimm chows down on some guitar strings.

18. Paul Cochran Jr. of Harrisburg metal rockers Num, during a July double-bill with The Grimm at Peter C’s.

19. Scream frontman Jeff Hoover gets on his knees during a show at Mount Union’s County Line Inn in July.

20. The legendary Bob Dylan, during the first-ever concert at Blair County Ballpark in August.

21. It’s a good ol’ fashioned Southern rock guitar line as Dick Kos, Tony Mollick, Felix Kos and Jeff Clapper crank it up during the homestretch of the Hurricanes’ set at the 14th “End Of Summer Jam” benefit at the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club in late August.

22. During Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys’ performance at the Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s in August, Jeff Van Clief is helped out behind the kit by young drummer Clayton Gingrich.

23. During their late August free concert at St. Clair Park in Greensburg, Good Rats singer Peppi Marchello. Peppi celebrated his 60th birthday in December.

24. During his farewell show with The Grimm in August, guitarist Kirk “Otto” Tonkin is showered with silly string in the show’s waning moments.

25. Mike Davis of Hi-Tyde, during an August show at Ebensburg’s Castle Pub.

26. Piping out some flute, Aeb Byrne of The Nightcrawlers during the group’s weekly Thursday show at State College’s Phyrst in late August.

27. During the Rock The House benefit at Greenhouse Park near Johnstown in early August, Pivot frontman Mark Lux goes on a stage-diving, crowd surfing ride.

28. Also at Rock The House, Yum guitarist Darren Buchko, wearing his Sunday finest.

29. Rising Altoona country crooner Ricky Lee takes his show to the crowd, during his performance at Delgrosso Park’s “Harvestfest” in late September.

30. During the CD-release party for his latest CD, Redemption, at Moondogs in Blawnox in September, Norman Nardini is joined onstage by fellow Pittsburgh blues rockers Glenn Pavone and Tom Valentine of the Cyclones.

31. Jeremy Edge and Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law, during a show at Pellegrine’s in late October.

32. From the same late October Pellegrine’s show, Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law, in front of a wild, rocking crowd.

33. During the Hurricanes Fall Blues Cruise in October, lead ‘Cane Felix Kos ducks under the Route 994 overpass.

34. Keep in mind that you can’t “unsee” some photos, as much as you’d like to…With that in mind, from Pellegrine’s Halloween party in late October, Harry Jr. as…ULP…a Hooters Girl.

35. Also from Pellegrine’s Halloween party, Guv’nor Jesse Skywalker does light-saber battle with Obi-Won Ritchey (dad of Vs. the Earth guitarist Mike Ritchey).

36. From their first City Limits appearance in October, Phil, Chris and Gretchen of Something Fluid bring the party.

37. During the Leeper Fire Benefit at City Limits in November, Kenny Murdick and Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

38. At the conclusion of the Leeper Fire Benefit at City Limits, yours truly and show organizer Rob Carolus look on as show beneficiary Jeff Leeper thanks everybody for their support.

39. Ronny Munroe of Seattle metal legends Metal Church, during their show at Dragonfly in Harrisburg in November.

40. From one of the bright new names on the state’s music scene during 2004, Kelly Daniels and Eric Klein of PopShop, during their November show at Altoona’s 4D’s Lounge.

41. During the Toys for Tots Benefit at City Limits in November, Joe Scott of Third Standard takes his axe behind his neck.

42. Also from the Toys for Tots Benefit at City Limits, Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard tosses a T-shirt out to some dance floor fans.

43. From Blind Jonny Death’s late December show at The Hitching Post, singer/guitarist L.C. Slim steps atop Red’s bass, while guest John Stevens fires off some hot harp.

44. From their Christmas musical, “It’s a Miserable Life,” in December; Grimm frontman Bob Lee puts a feminine sanitary product to use.

45. Also from The Grimm’s Christmas show at Peter C’s, L-“Esa” adds a Lawrence Welk mood to the festivities by blowing bubbles.

46. Donning some holiday tinsel, those crazy brothers Kos, Dick and Felix, during a Hurricanes show at Peter C’s in early December.

47. During the special jam night he put together at City Limits in late December to play with his local musical friends, former Hurricanes drummer and Atlanta musician John McKnight.

48. Also from the John McKnight Jam at City Limits, Felix Kos and Randy Rutherford, lighting it up on the guitars.

49. During Vs. the Earth’s Christmas night party at City Limits, frontman Adam Marino goes airborne.

50. And no Vs. the Earth Christmas party is complete without a visit from Santa Dawg!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: