· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 2/14/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 28, 2005 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 2/14/05

ROCK & RYE @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 2/8/05

Is it my imagination, or do we now have another excuse to party? It seems like 5 or 10 years ago, nobody in this part of the world gave a serious rat’s ass about Super Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras…It was Louisiana’s excuse to party, more power to them. But this year, it seemed like everybody and his brother were throwing Mardi Gras and Super Fat Tuesday parties. Hell, I’m not complaining, instead I was partaking!

I thus headed to Burgi’s Roundhouse to celebrate Super Fat Tuesday and check in with Rock and Rye. A decent-sized, festive crowd was on hand as Greg “Rock” Burley and Ryan “Rye” Clark tossed out beads and intoxicated revelers acoustically with a variety of classic rock, current rock favorites and more. The pair were in the midst of the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil” as I arrived and procured my first foamy adult beverage. The duo continued with the Moody Blues’ “The Story In Your Eyes” and Incubus’ “Drive,” before welcoming home Burgi’s main man Dave Burgmeier’s son, Chad, who had just returned from service active duty in Iraq. Greg and Ryan continued with Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Tightrope,” before ending their set with a folksy, Gordon Lightfoot-flavored take on Metallica’s “Nothing Else Matters.”

During the intermission, a special moment, as Rock and Rye welcomed Chad Burgmeier back up to the microphone. A singer, songwriter and guitarist himself, Chad performed a special somber original song he wrote about friends he lost along the way during active duty, called “I’ll Cry for You.” The song received warm and appreciative applause from the Burgi’s audience.

After a few more minutes, Rock and Rye returned to resume the Super Fat Tuesday festivities. “Rock” warned the male audience members to be careful where they were looking and who they made eye contact with during this set’s first song, Bad Company’s “Feel Like Making Love.” (I took no chances, I stared at my beer.) The pair’s rendition of the Eagles’ “Already Gone” prompted several female revelers to dance in front of the duo. Chad Burgmeier again took up position with the musicians, this time to sing backing vocals on Stone Temple Pilots’ “Plush.” At this point, a little levity in the evening, as Rock and Rye established themselves as the first – and to this date, only – Altoona area band entity performing the “Sponge Bob Square Pants” song. The pair continued with several acoustic ballads; Dave Mason’s “We Just Disagree,” Led Zeppelin’s “Going to California” and Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.” The pair then directly segued the Seger classic into Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night” to end the night, which prompted several female audience members and Chad to step up atop bar stools and the central bar to dance.

The Super Fat Tuesday party was complete. Rock and Rye did a good job, keeping the mood cordial, fun and upbeat. And Mardi Gras and Super Fat Tuesday become further entrenched in our annual party itinerary, offering more opportunities to shed the winter doldrums and enjoy some live music in the middle of the week.

Rock and Rye, entertaining Mardi Gras revelers at Burgi’s Roundhouse.

Special guest Chad Burgmeier.

During the final set, Rock and Rye with guest Chad Burgmeier.

Once again, Rock and Rye.

With Chad and a lady from the audience helping out on vocals, Rock and Rye.

GUITAR SHORTY @ AMERICAN ALE HOUSE, STATE COLLEGE 2/10/05

First, a history lesson…David Kearney was born in Houston in 1939. Just out of high school at age 16, Kearney joined Ray Charles and his band, and headed out on the road. A bar owner gave Kearney the nickname “Guitar Shorty” because of his small stature and guitar skills. Through the years, Guitar Shorty performed and recorded with such names such as Guitar Slim, T-Bone Walker, Little Richard and Sam Cooke. In 1959, Guitar Shorty relocated to Seattle, and married Jimi Hendrix’s sister, Marcia. Jimi became a fan of Guitar Shorty, and confessed that he would go AWOL from his nearby army base in the early 60’s to go see Shorty perform. As part of his act, Shorty often did cartwheels or back flips while performing; Jimi Hendrix later told Shorty that he set his own guitar on fire in part because he couldn’t do the back flips like Shorty could.

Guitar Shorty has continued to tour and release albums; his travels brought him to the American Ale House at Toftrees in State College this night. After hearing and being impressed by Shorty’s latest album, Watch Your Back, I was there!

A packed house was on hand as I first arrived at the American Ale House; obviously there are some serious blues fans in Happy Valley! I procured an initial seat near the stage, but was soon greeted by State College blues lady Gypsy of the Crazymoon fame, who invited me to join her at her stagefront table vantage point. (Thanks!)

Shortly after, Guitar Shorty’s band hit the stage, and led into the show with renditions of Brook Benton’s “Rainy Night in Georgia,” Smokey Robinson’s “Tracks Of My Tears” and James Brown’s “I Feel Good.” At this point, the band introduced Guitar Shorty, who stepped out onstage and proceeded to deliver his brand of electrified blues, funk and R&B. As Shorty mixed original songs and blues remakes, he demonstrated his fiery guitar playing style, frequently stepping out to the stagefront floor to show the audience how it was done. At one point, the guitar went up to his mouth, and his teeth were used for a solo. Later in the set, Shorty did a parade lap around the perimeter of the Ale House dining room area, pausing every few feet to serenade individual tables with his guitar. Among the tunes Guitar Shorty played early on were “Old School” from the Watch Your Back CD, Willie Dixon’s “Let Me Love You Baby” and Albert King’s “Born Under a Bad Sign.”

During the intermission, Guitar Shorty and his band remained onstage and signed autographs, with Shorty taking the time to thank each visitor for being there. I chatted with a couple sitting nearby, who said they lived for shows like this, and lamented that there wasn’t more live blues on State College area stages. I suggested a few local groups who specialize in blues and blues-related sounds, both in State College and Altoona. Hopefully the couple will sample a few of these groups, and discover some blues from right here in their own backyard.

Soon Guitar Shorty and his band were ready to go again. Acknowledging his connection to Jimi Hendrix and paying homage to him, Shorty opened his set with renditions of “Hey Joe” and “Voodoo Chile.” It was interesting to notice the similarities between Shorty and Jimi, particularly the use of distortion and the stormy manner in which Shorty attacked his guitar solos. Shorty continued to again mix various flavors of blues, original and cover; spanning several of his albums in the 1990’s; before ending his set with a guitar rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner.” As the set progressed, more audience members began to dance in front of the stage, and the show took on more of a blues party atmosphere. That crowd didn’t want the show to end, and demanded an encore; Shorty and his band responded with a stirring rendition of Curtis Mayfield’s “People Get Ready” to end the night.

After the show, Guitar Shorty and his band again remained to meet and greet audience members and sign autographs. As fiery and passionate as Guitar Shorty’s performance was onstage, off stage Shorty was soft-spoken, laid-back and pleasant.

This was a very good show, and provided the audience the opportunity to witness a blues guitar legend in action. Although his age doesn’t permit him to do cartwheels and back flips any more, Guitar Shorty showed the American Ale House audience that he still has plenty left in the tank, and can still dazzle the house with his guitar acrobatics.

Making his rounds to the tables, Guitar Shorty.

Guitar Shorty and his band.

Henderson Wycliffe and Guitar Shorty.

Taking it to the stagefront floor, Guitar Shorty.

Guitar Shorty sideman Henderson Wycliffe.

Once again, Henderson and Guitar Shorty.

After the show, yours truly with Guitar Shorty.

THE NIGHTCRAWLERS @ PHYRST, STATE COLLEGE 2/10/05

When he was a teenager and growing up in Carlisle in the early 80’s, future Nightcrawlers drummer Steve Arnold was banging away on the drums upstairs in the attic of his family’s home one day, when a knock came at the door. Standing at the door was a short black man, curious about where the drumming was coming from. His name: Guitar Shorty. Shorty and his band were scheduled to play at a local Elks Club that weekend, and with Steve’s family’s permission, invited young Steve to come to the show to sit in. After Guitar Shorty and his band electrified the house, they brought their young guest – making his first-ever public performance – to sit in behind the kit. According to Steve, it was a pure adrenalin rush as he took his cues from Shorty and provided the beat for two songs, and received wild applause and approval from the audience. After the show, Steve was returned to his home, and never heard from Guitar Shorty again…until now.

When Guitar Shorty and his band visited State College to play at the American Ale House, Steve and his Nightcrawler bandmates were in the house to check it out. Steve met with Guitar Shorty and his band prior to the show, and returned the favor from 20 years ago; inviting Shorty and his band to come over to the Phyrst after their show to sit in with Steve and the Nightcrawlers. After Guitar Shorty’s show ended, I headed over to the Phyrst to see The Nightcrawlers, to see if Shorty or his band would show up, and to bear witness to any musical magic that might ensue…

It was a packed house at the Phyrst as I arrived midway through The Nightcrawlers’ second set. I immediately noted that a special guest was already sitting in with the group, the multi-talented Ted McCloskey, contributing bottleneck slide and additional guitar to the festivities. The Nightcrawlers sounded in good form on Led Zeppelin’s “Ramble On” and the Grateful Dead’s “Shakedown Street,” before the group lit up the house with their ‘hit’ original, “African Echo.” The atmosphere during this song was electric, and reached its highest crescendo when Aeb Byrne piped out a beautiful solo on her flute. Aeb, Steve, Ted, singer/guitarist Noah Figlin and bassist Mike Leitzel continued with their rendition of The Police’s “Message In a Bottle,” before introducing another original, the instrumental “Desert Sun.” Aeb then flexed her vocal cords on Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee,” followed by Men At Work’s “Down Under” and another Nightcrawlers original, “Grasslands,” to finish the set.

During the intermission, I saw a group of patrons clear out from a table near the front of the stage, and I wasted little time opportunistically staking claim to that table for my vantage point to witness any third set magic. I spoke with Nightcrawler Steve, who informed me that although Guitar Shorty himself wouldn’t be in attendance at The Phyrst, a few members of his band might be showing up.

The Nightcrawlers soon started into their nightcap set with a rowdy rendition of The Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” and followed it with the rural-flavored original song “Lover’s Test.” By this point, the guests had arrived; and guitarist Henderson Wycliffe and drummer Mike Lopez of Guitar Shorty’s band made their way up to the stage, joining the Nightcrawlers for rousing renditions of Neil Young’s “Down By The River” and Parliament’s “Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker).” The Nightcrawlers then finished out the night in a feisty, funky vein with Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.”

The Nightcrawlers were again on top of their game, dazzling the Phyrst audience with their instrumental style and finesse. The group established tight, spicy grooves on all their song material, and launched hot instrumental fireworks from those grooves. Noah’s guitarwork was jaw-dropping; Aeb’s flute solos were clear and awe-inspiring; Steve and Mike’s rhythm section was tight and in the pocket; and guest Ted’s smooth slide work added depth and another dimension to The Nightcrawlers’ presentation. The guests were icing on the cake; and it all made for a riveting nightcap to a fun and bluesy Thursday night in Happy Valley; well worth the roadtrip to experience.

With Ted McCloskey helping out this night, The Nightcrawlers.

Guitar Shorty’s bandmate, guitarist Henderson Wycliffe, fronts The Nightcrawlers.

Henderson Wycliffe.

Drummer Mike Lopez and guitarist Henderson Wycliffe perform with The Nightcrawlers.

The Nightcrawlers and their guests continue to party down the Phyrst.

Guitar Shorty’s Mike Lopez staffs The Nightcrawlers’ drum kit.

Ted McCloskey.

Mike Leitzel of The Nightcrawlers.

Guitar Shorty sideman Henderson Wycliffe sings lead with The Nightcrawlers.

Once again, The Nightcrawlers with Henderson Wycliffe.

Once again, Ted McCloskey, Noah Figlin and The Nightcrawlers.

Noah Figlin of The Nightcrawlers.

CHOKING FAITH/SILVER SUNDAY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 2/11/05

Two winters ago, Choking Faith stormed onto the area metal scene, and quickly established themselves as one of the premiere heavy-hitters in the region. The group issued a stunning 3-song EP, and hopes were running high as the group’s full-length debut CD was anticipated for later in the year. However, it didn’t happen, and by mid summer, the wheels had come off of Choking Faith, and the band members went their separate ways.

Over the past year, though, guitarist Dan Miller and lead throat Jason Mittan have been looking for the right components to reform the mach 2 edition of Choking Faith. The pair hired on drummer newcomer Joe Richards, and after some searching, picked up Silver Sunday’s Steve Seymore to play bass (Steve is currently doing double-duty with both bands). This night at Aldo’s, Choking Faith Mach 2 would make its debut.

But there was some last-minute drama before the show. Originally, Suicide Switch was to open the show for Choking Faith, but a medical emergency regarding drummer Jay’s wife forced Suicide Switch to pull out of the show. After scrambling to find another opener as showtime approached, bassist Steve wound up doing double-duty this night, as Silver Sunday stepped up to the plate to fill in and open the show.

Due to day-job duties, I missed Silver Sunday’s set, and arrived at Aldo’s during the intermission between bands. But the word was that Silver Sunday performed admirably, and went over well with the decidedly metal-leaning crowd. And yes, there was a good-sized crowd at Aldo’s this night, enough so that the dining room was open for additional seating.

Soon after I arrived, the new Choking Faith took the stage, and opened with an ‘old’ Choking Faith number from their earlier stint, “Freedom in a Body Bag.” Singer Jason brought his malevolent roar up to speed quickly, and the rest of the band’s execution was tight and powerful. I was particularly impressed with Joe on the drums; I had known Joe for a few years prior but had never seen him behind the kit; he could pound! Choking Faith brought up a guest named Dave to help with the vocals on Corrosion of Conformity’s “Clean My Wounds;” and in a surprise move, dipped back to some 80’s metal with a version of Skid Row’s “Youth Gone Wild,” with guests Cheeze and Tom Noel from Suicide Switch helping out on backing vocals. Then, with Silver Sunday already in the house, musicians from both bands combined onstage to perform the gothic-tinged “Cathedral Lights,” a Silver Sunday original that Jason Mittan frequently helps sing vocals on. This ‘Silver Faith/Choking Sunday’ line-up included Jason and Silver Sunday guitarist Buck Dickson on lead vocals, Dan on guitar, Steve on bass, and Silver Sunday’s Todd Harshbarger on drums. After this, Choking Faith proceeded to pound metal favorites such as Coal Chamber’s “Loco,” Sepultura’s “Roots,” Fear Factory’s “Edgecrusher;” and – in memory of Dimebag Darrell – finishing out their first set with versions of Pantera’s “Walk” and Damageplan’s “Breathing New Life.”

So far, so good…Choking Faith Mach 2 was firing on all cylinders, and was indeed back. Jason was ferocious on the vocal end; Dan was fast and fiery on the frets; and Joe and Steve provided the thunderous foundation behind it all. The fans were clearly enjoying it, with a number of them in front of the stage and getting wild to the heavy-hitting sounds.

Another set was yet to come, and soon the musicians were back onstage to deliver it. This time, Choking Faith opened with White Zombie’s “Super-charger Heaven,” but veered off the road heading into the third verse, and had to laughingly restart the song in the third verse. Oh well, few opening nights are without a trainwreck or two… Jason then introduced a song from DevilDriver (the title which I missed), before introducing a brand new original piledriver, “Resurrection Of Faith.” From first listen, this song seemed to pick up where earlier Choking Faith left off, with a brash, dark texture providing the backdrop to Jason’s monstrous funereal bellows. The group then dipped back to the 80’s once again for Motley Crue’s “Shout At the Devil,” with a devil-horn-clad guest named Chris helping with backing vocals. And with the audience chanting “Slayer! Slayer!,” Choking Faith answered their demands with “South Of Heaven.” Although I didn’t see it myself, one over-exhuberant fan moshed where he wasn’t supposed to, and Aldo himself hustled the offender out the door. This incident was likely the reason why Aldo ordered the show finished after Choking Faith finished the Slayer number.

Choking Faith’s return to action was a successful one, and Mach 2 of this band brought the maelstrom and picked up where Mach 1 left off. Here’s hoping this edition maintains their focus, keeps it together, and that full-length CD eventually reaches fruition. In the meantime, this group’s return – coupled with Dragon Fire’s recent return to action – should bolster metal’s presence on area stages for a while to come.

With members of Suicide Switch helping out, Choking Faith makes their return to action at Aldo’s.

Again, Choking Faith with some "Suicide-al" assistance.

Belting out the throat on “Cathedral Lights,” Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday and Jason Mittan of Choking Faith.

Once again, Buck and Jason.

Choking Faith, with guests Buck Dickson and Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

With guest Chris providing additional vocals, Choking Faith.

Joe Richards of Choking Faith.

The Choking Faith insurrection continues.

Once again, Choking Faith.

Once again, Joe Richards of Choking Faith.

Dan Miller of Choking Faith.

THIRD STANDARD @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 2/12/05

The forecast of possible snow showers this night limited my live music options to the Altoona area; and most of the bands around town this night I had already recently seen or reported on. After taking care of some workplace duties, I decided upon Third Standard, performing at City Limits.

Although I was aware of an opening band, the aforementioned workplace duties kept me just late enough that I missed the opening set from Pittsburgh’s Protoculture. Eyewitness accounts said that this band rocked, and one of the band members gave me a copy of their CD, so I could get a sense of what they were about (at least going by the CD, a hard-rocking hybrid mix of rock, funk, and hip-hop; pretty good stuff!).

I arrived midway through Third Standard’s first set, and was happy to see a decent-sized crowd in the house to take it in. The dance floor had a few dancers as Third Standard performed Spin Doctors’ “Two Princes,” Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell” and Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll” – capped by a Steve Holtz drum solo – to finish out the set.

Again, it was good to see that Third Standard was finally starting to see some audience at their Altoona shows; although not a full house, this was the best attendance the band had seen thus far in this town, and evidence that the group was winning some fans along the way.

Third Standard’s nightcap set was an all-out rock and roll party, as singer/guitarist Tyson Ruhlman, lead guitarist Joe Scott, bassist Andy Heinze and the aforementioned Steve behind the drum kit stirred up dance floor activity with favorites from Jet, Guns’N’Roses, Cheap Trick, Clarks, Poison, Sublime, Rolling Stones and more. The group played a brief funk interlude centered around Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” and finished the set with an over-the-top rendition of Johnny Cash’s “Ring Of Fire.” The City Limits crowd wanted more, so Third Standard tacked on two more songs for good measure, AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long” and Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed Girl.”

It was a strong performance from Third Standard, and it was clear that the group and drummer Steve (who had just started with the group in November) had adjusted to each other and were clicking on all cylinders. Steve brings power and velocity behind the drum kit, and the group seems to maintain a more boisterous tempo since his addition. The City Limits fans were buying it, and were on the floor and celebrating for the entire third set.

Here’s hoping Third Standard can keep it snowballing in the ‘Toona; this band has paid their dues on Altoona stages since first appearing at City Limits last spring, and it’s good to see those dues finally starting to pay off.

Third Standard brings the party at City Limits.

Steve Holtz of Third Standard.

Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard.

Again, Steve Holtz of Third Standard.

Andy Heinze and Steve Holtz of Third Standard.

With a lady from the audience assisting on vocals, Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard.

Firing up the City Limits crowd, Tyson Ruhlman and Third Standard.

Once again, Steve Holtz of Third Standard.

Joe Scott of Third Standard.

Andy Heinze of Third Standard.

BACKSTREET LAW @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 2/13/05

Another Sunday night found me at Pellegrine’s to slam the lid on another weekend, with Backstreet Law providing the soundtrack.

Unlike their last visit, though, at least the weather was cooperative this night for Backstreet Law, with no snow-covered roads to scare away fans. So a good-sized crowd was on hand as I arrived towards the end of Backstreet Law’s first set. It was good to see a contingent of off-duty musicians present and representing this night, including members of Vs. the Earth, Hi-Tyde, 513 and Suicide Switch.

It was a typical night at the office for Backstreet Law – which was a good thing. Singer Goody, guitarist Jeremy Edge, bassist Jamie Morral and drummer Choke did what they do best; delivering a tight, edgy selection of rocking cover favorites and originals. The second set began with an 80’s hair-band twist; a medley tying together tunes from Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Poison, Twisted Sister and Guns’N’Roses. With the dance floor quickly filling up again, Backstreet Law fueled the party with tunes from The Knack, Violent Femmes, Garth Brooks, Nickelback and Drowning Pool; peppered with original songs such as “Sharks” and the title tune from their most recent album Hollow.

Business as usual for their third set as well, which Backstreet Law launched with Smile Empty Soul’s “Bottom Of a Bottle.” The group kept Pelly’s dance floor busy with Motley Crue’s “Girls Girls Girls,” the Jamie-fronted treatment of Pantera’s “Walk,” and their popular risqué original thumper “Seatbelt.” After favorites by Rick Springfield, The Clash and Jet, Backstreet Law fired off “Crazy Train;” but this time, it was actually frontman Goody singing the Ozzy classic, not fanatical Backstreet Law fan Doug. The group then finished the set with the leadoff tune from their Hollow CD, “Shake.” The Pelly’s crowd wanted more, and Backstreet Law answered with the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party)” and the short ‘original’ blast “Apes**t.”

As Backstreet Law performances went, this one was good, basic and to the point. There were no unusual plot twists or surprises this night; just a straightforward kickass Backstreet Law presentation that kept Pelly’s dance floor busy for the duration. This night served as a good primer and dictionary definition of what a Backstreet Law performance and party is all about.

Jeremy Edge and Goody of Backstreet Law, firing up the Pelly’s crowd.

Goody of Backstreet Law.

Once again, Backstreet Law rocks Pellegrine’s.

Jeremy Edge of Backstreet Law.

Goody and Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law.

Modeling a new shirt this night, Goody of Backstreet Law.

Backstreet Law and the fans.

Choke of Backstreet Law.

Once again, Choke of Backstreet Law.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: