· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 6/13/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jul 09, 2005 

WEEKEND RECAP 6/13/05

FALLING HIGHER @ LOMBARDO'S PUB, ALTOONA 6/9/05

My weekend started off at Lombardo's Pub, to catch my first look at Northern Cambria acoustic group Falling Higher, making their first Altoona appearance.

Singer/guitarist Ken Gray and guitarist/singer Ryan Gallagher were underway with their first set as I arrived. Their slant was interesting; they were doing acoustic renditions of mostly current and 90's rock favorites. Their first set included acoustic takes on Godsmack's "Voodoo," Staind's "Outside," Blink 182's "All The Small Things," Pearl Jam's "Black," Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)," Creed's "What's This Life For" and more. Ken handled the lion's share of lead vocal duties, showing good command of the material he was singing; both he and Ryan blended their skills on their guitars to give a full-bodied acoustic sound.

Lombardo's had a smallish crowd of regulars and fans present, and the concensus was favorable for Falling Higher thus far. It also seemed to be "squabbling couples night," as I witnessed several domestic arguments taking place through the course of the evening.

The duo's next set featured more modern and 90's tunes, including Alice In Chains' "Man In The Box," Collective Soul's "Shine," The Flys' "Got You Where I Want You," Creed's "One," Seven Mary Three's "Cumbersome," Sublime's "What I Got," Nickelback's "Leader Of Men" and more. The pair dug back into the 80's twice, for renditions of Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" and R.E.M.'s "The One I Love." Their only miscue during this set was letting a drunk patron step to the microphone and butcher Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under The Bridge" (but these sacrifices need to be made to keep bar crowds happy now and then). Falling Higher ended their second set with a surprising acoustic read of Tool's "Sober."

Falling Higher's third set was shorter, and featured tunes from A Perfect Circle, Creed, and with Ryan singing lead, Smashing Pumpkins' "Disarm" to close the night.

As the area's acoustic scene continues to expand, Falling Higher's emphasis on current rock offers a unique slant. My first experience viewing this pair was a positive one, and Ken and Ryan are another acoustic entity worth exploring on area stages.

Ryan and Ken, Falling Higher.

THE SMOKE RUN BAND @ IRVONA FIREMEN'S CARNIVAL, IRVONA 6/10/05

When I ran into Grimm frontman Bob Lee inside a Sheetz store earlier in the day, Bob informed me he was heading to the Irvona Firemen's Carnival later that evening to watch the Smoke Run Band. Although I hadn't known about the show and hadn't planned on driving to Irvona this night, when I finished up my work duties reasonably early, I decided I was up for a little road trip to see what a carnival in Irvona was all about.

The weather had been a little bit stormy around the region; lightning was flashing here and there, and I drove through a steady drizzle from Altoona clear up to Flinton. I had thought about turning around and heading back, surely this carnival would be a washout. But as I drove through Coalport, the showers tapered off, and by the time I reached Irvona, while lightning was visible in the distance, it had stopped raining there, and the carnival and live music was again on.

Smoke Run Band was under way as I made my way onto the carnival grounds at Elderberry Park on the edge of town. I instantly spotted Bob Lee near the concession area, and he led me to the stage to show the Smoke Run guys what the cat had dragged in. This would be my first opportunity to view Smoke Run since Bob's former bandmate, Kirk Tonkin, left the Grimm ranks last summer to join them.

As expected, The Smoke Run had a good street-type party going on, with an all-ages crowd cheering and dancing as the group played a variety of rock and roll favorites. The line-up this night featured Kirk handling lead guitar duties, group ringleader Wendell Hoolihen on lead vocals, one of Smoke Run's original guitar players, Dave Campbell, on rhythm guitar, Ken "Moon" Slovikosky on drums, and - for me, a highlight to see this night - Bill Glasgow on bass. Bill lost his right arm in a snowplow accident early last year, and had returned to action with Smoke Run, playing bass with one arm!

The Smoke Run Band played straight through with one continuous set, keeping the crowd dancing. The group segued together the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues" and Van Morrison's "Gloria" as I arrived, and continued with Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama;" before shifting to some early rock and roll with Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," The Rivieras' "California Sun" and Chubby Checker's "The Twist." Smoke Run then slowed it down, and Wendell flexed his vocal cords on a nice read of Bob Dylan's "Knocking On Heaven's Door," before accelerating the beat again with Neil Young's "Rocking In The Free World." The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" instigated some chick-moshing at stagefront, and the party continued with the Romantics' "What I Like About You." Kirk then took over lead mic to growl the voice on George Thorogood's "Bad To The Bone," and then welcomed his former Grimm bandmate, Bob Lee, to the mic to sing Black Sabbath's "Paranoid." Smoke Run then delivered the John Mellencamp double-shot of "Hurts So Good" and "Authority Song," followed by Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care Of Business" and Eric Clapton's "Cocaine." Bob Lee again stepped up to help belt lead voice on Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" to finish the set, but the crowd's demands for an encore brought the band back for one more, ZZ Top's "Tush."

It was a reliably strong showing for The Smoke Run Band. Wendell's voice was in good form; he handled the group's range of material well. New man Kirk showed fiery leads on his guitar throughout the night; his solos were a highlight on nearly every song. "Moon" was kicking the living slop out of his drum kit, and his stick tosses towards the end of the night were impressive. And as eluded to earlier, it was heartening to see Bill overcome his adversity and play bass again this night.

It was a good ol' Smoke Run Band mountain party, and I was glad I did the roadtrip to Irvona to check it out.

Kirk Tonkin of the Smoke Run Band.

The Smoke Run Band rocks and rolls at the Irvona Firemen's Carnival.

Once again, the Smoke Run Band.

Ken "Moon" Slovikosky of the Smoke Run Band.

Things take a 'grimm' turn for the Smoke Run Band when Grimm frontman Bob Lee rejoins his old bandmate, Kirk Tonkin, and the group.

Wendell Hoolihen of the Smoke Run Band.

Ken "Moon" Slovikosky of the Smoke Run Band, in the middle of a stick toss.

Once again, Kirk "Otto" Tonkin of the Smoke Run Band.

Bill Glasgow and Dave Campbell of the Smoke Run Band.

Again, Ken "Moon" Slovikosky of The Smoke Run Band.

SILVER SUNDAY @ ALDO'S, ALTOONA 6/10/05

After leaving the Irvona Firemen's Carnival, I descended the mountain to Aldo's, to check in with Silver Sunday's latest exploits.

I arrived too late to see the openers, 4 Days Dirty, but heard they represented well. Silver Sunday was in the latter stages of their second set as I arrived. Singer Cathie, lead guitarist Jason Wechs, guitarist/singer Buck Dickson, bassist Steve Seymore and drummer Todd Harshbarger were entertaining a respectable mid-sized Aldo's crowd with their mix of 80's-geared rock. Buck was fronting the group on Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" as I arrived; this tune featured Jason Wechs going wild on his guitar solo and taking his axe behind his neck. Then the focus shifted to lead lady Cathie's vocals as she and Silver Sunday unleashed a passionate read of Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry" to close the set.

Performing their second show of the day after entertaining at Altoona's Relay For Life event at Mansion Park earlier in the afternoon; Silver Sunday fired up the party again in their nightcap set, opening with Guns'N'Roses' "Sweet Child Of Mine;" Cathie demonstrated her vocal range, and special guest Jason Mittan (Choking Faith) chimed in on backing vocals. The group continued with Toadies' "Possum Kingdom," before Buck and Jason Mittan sang on the group's gothic-flavored original "Cathedral Lights." Cathie again took front and center for Veruca Salt's "Volcano Girls," before the group did another of their original tunes, "I Know." Silver Sunday proceeded to escalate the party at this point, with Blondie's "One Way Or Another" and The Buggles" Video Killed The Radio Star" drawing some dancers onto Aldo's dance floor. Cathie again demonstrated her vocal range on Scandal's "The Warrior," before Buck brandished his baritone vociferations on Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself" and Loverboy's "Working For the Weekend;" the latter tune featuring a playful Saturday Night Live-styled 'needs more cowbell' interlude. The party continued with Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun," and escalated further with Republica's "Ready To Go," when one male audience member began breakdancing and fish-flopping on the dance floor. The party reached its climax and finale with Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You," with Jason Mittan and various audience members platooning onto the stage to help Silver Sunday party down.

Silver Sunday again demonstrated that they can deliver the party, and this show developed into a full-fledged good time. They were vocally and instrumentally on target, and were able to fire up the crowd and elevate the mood of the evening to its festive heights during the final set. It's long been my belief that Silver Sunday has long since earned their shot at playing the prestige Saturday and Sunday night venues in this town and region; this night at Aldo's served further evidence and testimony to that belief.

Silver Sunday brings the party to Aldo's.

Jason Mittan of Choking Faith joins Silver Sunday for the singing of "Cathedral Lights."

Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday with Jason Mittan.

Cathie of Silver Sunday.

Jason Wechs of Silver Sunday.

Cathie and Steve Seymore of Silver Sunday.

Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Steve Seymore of Silver Sunday.

Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Cathie of Silver Sunday maneuvers the microphone closer to Todd Harshbarger, because Silver Sunday needs more cowbell.

Cathie of Silver Sunday is helped on vocals by an audience member, while Jason Wechs jams on guitar.

Girls just wanna have fun...Cathie of Silver Sunday and an audience member, having fun at Aldo's.

The party heats up with Silver Sunday at Aldo's.

Again, Jason Wechs of Silver Sunday.

4TH ANNUAL PA SINGER/SONGWRITER FESTIVAL @ SHANGRI-LA ON THE CREEK CAMPGROUND near LEWISBURG 6/11/05

Understanding the difficulty singer/songwriters face in getting their music to new audiences in a cover-song dominated music scene, Bloomsburg singer/songwriter/humorist Dave Blackledge organized a special annual event to showcase singer/songwriters, the PA Singer/Songwriter Festival. This event has featured a number of singers, songwriters and soloists each year; showcasing their original music, winning new fans and networking. For this fourth year of the event, the festival was expanded to two days, and was staged at a picturesque outdoor location, Shangri-La On The Creek Campground near Lewisburg. Able to clear my weekend workload and schedule, I decided to attend this year's event to see what it was all about.

Despite a recurring electrical problem with my car (which a stop at the Lewisburg NAPA Auto Parts store for replacement fuses resolved, at least temporarily), I made it to the campground by late afternoon and soon found the pavilion area where the bulk of the music was taking place. It was hot and muggy, but inside and underneath the pavilion it was less oppressive.

The Festival was between acts as I arrived. After a few moments, festival host Dave Blackledge stepped up to the stage to introduce the next performer, eastern PA's Lisa Bodnar. Lisa, along with a guitarist, Dan, and a backing singer, performed a selection of melody-geared folk-rock original songs. Lisa's lyrics dealt with emotions, happiness, love/hate relationships, inspirations and more; delivered in her own clear, focused singing style. Lisa performed several songs from her first CD, Maybe I Did, including "Undone," "Full Circle" and "Stars." She also introduced some songs from her next album, expected out in the fall, including "I'm Sorry;" and for her final song, "Save," Lisa and her bandmates were joined by a guest harmonica player.

Assisted by guitarist Dan and a backing singer, Lisa Bodnar.

Once again, Lisa Bodnar.

As the PA Singer/Songwriter Festival unfolded, several things became apparent. First, each singer/songwriter - as the individuals they are - demonstrated a unique style, slant, and voice. Like individual people, no two were the same. Sure, they mostly all brandished acoustic guitars, but each had a different style and sound, lyrical slant and personality. And especially in the case of solo performers, the audience experienced each one in his/her bare bones form; emphasizing their individuality. I realized that this wasn't just a celebration of music, but of individuality and creativity.

While there were some people present, there wasn't a big crowd in attendance thus far. Many who were present were friends and families of the performers, with a few campers stopping in out of curiosity. But this venue was a great setting for a singer/songwriter festival for just that purpose - attracting passers-by from the campground, and perhaps introducing them to a live music experience that they might just want to investigate again.

Soon the next performer took the stage, Ed Rhoades and his band. Ed hails from Catawissa (near Bloomsburg), and his presentation mixed elements of light rock, blues, folk and jazz. Ed sang and played guitar, helped out by his wife, Kim, on bass; Paul Farnham on acoustic guitar, and Chris Krepich on drums. Ed and his band played selections from his latest CD, Moonfall, such as "The Phone Still Rings," "You Are The Fever" and "Jupiter;" and mixed in other original compositions as well. Ed and his band's presentation was smooth and well-performed; and offered another distinct style and slant.

Ed Rhoades.

Helping Ed Rhoades with some additional guitar, Paul Farnham.

With wife Kim on bass, Ed Rhoades.

Ed Rhoades and his band entertain at the PA Singer/Songwriter Festival.

Because there wasn't as much equipment to tear down and set up between these performers, intermissions tended to be short. After this brief changeover, Dave Blackledge introduced the next performer of the afternoon, Joel Raphael. Logging the most mileage to perform at this event - from San Diego - Joel presented another interesting style, story and angle. Inspired throughout his career by folk singing legend Woody Guthrie; Joel eventually recorded two CD's of Woody's songs, including a number of the late songwriter's unpublished lyrics - all with recommendations and blessings from Woody's son, Arlo Guthrie. Joel performed a number of these Woody Guthrie interpretations; including "Sierra Blanca Massacre," "Ramblin,' Reckless Hobo," "Your Sandal String" and "Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key." Joel's voice and presentation were reminiscent of Woody and Arlo Guthrie, with a little bit of a Bob Dylan flavor thrown in. Beyond the music itself, Joel was also very informative and insightful talking about Woody Guthrie and his music. I was captivated by Joel's presentation and knowledge; he was one of the obvious highlights of my first PA Singer/Songwriter Festival experience.

All the way from San Diego, Joel Raphael.

Next was another performer I had anticipated hearing, Beaver Springs singer/songwriter Hannah Bingman. I had heard some of Hannah's recorded material before; this would be my first opportunity to witness this songstress live. Hannah's style was passionate and feisty as she belted her selection of folksy, bluesy acoustic original songs; her overall stage persona bordered on shy, making for an interesting contrast. Some of Hannah's selections included "Greater Picture," "Finished," "In The Name Of," "End Up First," and a rural-flavored ode to her hometown called "Something to Say." Her lyrics were thoughtful, ranging from self-reflection to observations about our nation, society and world. This set gave me a wider scope of Hannah Bingman, her music and lyrical visions; and I'll make a point to check out more of her music in the future.

Hannah Bingman.

Again, Hannah Bingman.

Immediately following Hannah onstage was New York City-based singer/songwriter Denise Barbarita. Dave Blackledge had raved about Denise's performance during last year's festival; so I was curious to discover what this performer was about. Denise was captivating from the start; she demonstrated a friendly and cordial onstage personality, and an eagerness to welcome the audience into her musical world. Her musical style was interesting, as she showcased thoughtful original songs with varying tempo and chord progressions. Denise's singing style was emotional and expressive, as she presented textures ranging from delicate to powerful over the course of her song selection. Among songs that Denise performed were "Help Me," "Desperation," "It's What You Said" (which was used in the ABC Television soap opera One Life To Live), "15," the urgent "Hush Hush" (about living life to its fullest and enjoying what you have) and "Fractured." During her song "What I Believe," Denise welcomed a guest onstage, Frank Curtis, and the two sang this tune as a soulful duet. I was very impressed by Denise Barbarita's performance; and she became another highlight of my first PA Singer/Songwriter Festival experience.

Denise Barbarita.

Again, Denise Barbarita.

Denise Barbarita, helped by guest singer Frank Curtis.

After another brief intermission, Dave Blackledge welcomed the evening's next guest, Ben Heathen. From the eastcentral PA coal region, Ben - accompanied by an upright bass player - performed his brand of alternative-flavored acoustic folk-rock. Opening with the original "Southern Trees," Ben performed such selections as "Kayleigh's Song," "This Old Van," "Hey Hannah" (a somewhat caustic tune, it became a running joke that the tune was about Hannah Bingman) and more. Ben's presentation was low-key and witty; and he offered some interesting asides about his career and life on the road between songs. Ben also offered a different flavor and slant to the day's proceedings, and his set was intriguing as well.

Ben Heathen.

Accompanied by an upright bass player, Ben Heathen.

The final performer of the evening was festival host Dave Blackledge, doing his brand of humorous acoustic music. Dave opened with "If I Was a Cow, I'd Be Mad Too," and followed with "Your Butt's Too Fat to Dance Like That," with a lady from the audience taking up position on the dance floor during the song! Soundman Dan Greak wailed some harmonica from behind the sound board as Dave did "Double P.M.S. Blues," before Dave concluded his mini-set and the evening with "I Blew Up My Date."

Festival host Dave Blackledge wraps up the first day with a set of his own.

Dan Greak, providing harmonica from behind the sound board.

Again, Dave Blackledge.

At this point, I had a decision to make; whether to stick around overnight and take in the second day of the Festival, or head homeward to Altoona (with some options on Sunday I was mulling over). Despite gracious offers from Dave and Dan to use their cabin space (thanks!), I decided to head back to the 'Toona.

But, at least from what I saw, I definitely enjoyed the PA Singer/Songwriter Festival. I liked the diversity and variety of the talent, as well as the opportunity to witness original singers and songwriters doing their thing. Like the organizers, I too was disappointed with the rather low turnout, but with the uniqueness of such an event and its new location this year, it might take a little while to build up interest, momentum and a fan base with the general public. I think the move to Shangri-La On The Creek Campground was a good step, though; with the constant traffic of campers, kids, families and other passers-by, this setting presents a great opportunity to introduce new fans to the world of singers, songwriters and live music in general; fans who probably won't, or can't, go to a bar or tavern to see it. I think this campground makes a great setting for a festival like this, and I hope Dave and Dan can hold the event here in the future. And I hope to attend more editions of the PA Singer/Songwriter Festival in years to come.

BIG BANG THEORY @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 6/11/05

I departed Shangri-La On The Creek Campground and did the two-hour roadtrip west on Route 45 back to the 'Toona, arriving just past midnight, and in time to see the final set of Big Bang Theory at City Limits. (I had also considered going to Aldo's to see Skell, but decided on City Limits instead; I later learned that Skell had cancelled their appearance due to illness. I must have a sixth sense or something.)

I arrived shortly before Big Bang Theory launched their third set. Not surprisingly, given this band's relative newness in 'Toonaland, low turnout. Singer J. Michaels, guitarist Tony Scaltz, bassist Paul Barsom and drummer Hu Bast kicked off the set with Filter's "Hey Man Nice Shot," and proceeded to mix current and classic hard rock from Black Label Society, AC/DC, Fastway, Cracker, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Doors and more. Although the crowd was small, Big Bang Theory succeeded in attracting many of them onto the dance floor. At set's end, the dance floor participants beckoned Big Bang Theory for an encore, and the group responded with Judas Priest's "Living After Midnight."

Just as I had witnessed at Peter C's a few weeks before, Big Bang Theory was again in good form. J. Michaels again demonstrated good vocal power and range, and effectively worked what audience there was. Tony's precision guitar solos were again sharp, and Hu Bast's beats were booming and thunderous.

It was again a solid performance from Big Bang Theory. Hopefully this group can continue to build on the small crowd successes of this night, and soon expand their fan base with subsequent shows.

Big Bang Theory, rocking down at City Limits.

Hu Bast of Big Bang Theory.

Paul Barsom of Big Bang Theory.

Once again, Big Bang Theory.

Tony Scaltz of Big Bang Theory.

Once again, Hu Bast of Big Bang Theory.

"ROADSIDE AMERICA" ADVENTURE WITH GUV'NOR JESSE 6/12/05

Now a non-musical adventure for you kiddies.

If you've read these writs long enough, you've encountered "Guv'nor Jesse," one of my cohorts I often hang out with during bandwatching adventures (especially Sundays at Pellegrine's). Jesse has several major interests in his life: beer, Star Trek, and classic cars.

It was classic cars that would be at the center of this day's adventure. But a little bit about Guv'nor Jesse's "classic cars." Jesse specializes in refurbishing old Cadillacs, Chryslers, and other vintage gas-guzzling modes of vehicular transportation your grandparents probably drive to operational, running condition. These cars are classic in that they've logged at least 25 years, and one or two of them even have 'classic car' license plates on them. But these cars have logged many miles, and have the battle wounds to prove it. The vehicle of choice for today's outing, a 1975 Chrysler New Yorker 4-door battleship, has rust, parts of its white vinyl roof covering flaking off, it's classic sheen dulled to a flat turquoise color; and Jesse starts the engine by tripping the starter under the hood with a tire iron.

For several weeks, Jesse had been reporting to us that this car was ready for action, and he wanted to take it out on a Sunday drive. A connoisseur of the state park system, Jesse set his sights on Morain State Park, located northwest of Pittsburgh and about 110 miles/3 hours from Altoona. With this week's "Backyard Rocker" prerecorded and not having to be anywhere special this day, I decided to take Jesse up on his ride offer. Jesse also convinced Sparky D'Engineer to go along, and the ride entourage was set.

We met and parked at Pellegrine's in mid-afternoon, and made our way westward to Morain State Park, which borders Lake Arthur. Jesse proudly demonstrated the handling capabilities of his performance machine. And although he was generally within the speed limit, the faulty speedometer was pegging all the way to the right; what a machine!

We made it to the park, and spent some time at various locations around the park, including the beach areas. We studied the attractive lifeguards, and laughed when somebody's dog suddenly broke free and dove into the water, prompting the on-duty lifeguard to go beach Nazi and order the dog and its handlers off the beach.

After soaking up some sun and sights for an hour or so, we hit the road, and decided to head southward to Pittsburgh to grab a bite to eat. Thus far, Jesse's New Yorker was running well, but that was about to change. As we proceeded south on I-79 towards Pittsburgh, Jesse suddenly and sullenly proclaimed," Guys, I think we have a problem." The battery indicator light on the dashboard had come on, and according to Jesse, his battery was discharging; indicating either the alternator or voltage regulator was failing. Fearing the car would eventually shut off, Jesse took the next exit off of I-79 to park the car and diagnose the problem. We wound up in Sewickley Hills, one of the more affluent suburbs of Pittsburgh. Jesse attempted to park the car in a Texaco station lot, but the lot was full and the station was closed. So he headed across the street to an eatery, The Andora Restaurant, and parked in one of its open spaces. After lifting the hood, he tried to re-start the car, and his worst fears were realized – the car was dead and would not re-start.

Fortunately, Jesse had AAA-Plus, and called the toll-free number to get a tow truck to come rescue his disabled vehicle. Unfortunately, AAA informed Jesse that the tow truck could only take two passengers maximum, and there were three of us. So Sparky began calling some of his contacts to see if somebody could get us back to Altoona. Sparky eventually reached his engineering associate, Troy, who came to the rescue and started driving out to Pittsburgh.

Since we had to wait at least 45 minutes for the tow truck, 2 hours for Troy, and we had originally intended to get food anyway and were parked in a restaurant parking lot, we decided to enter the Andora Restaurant and do dinner. We quickly discovered that the Andora was a posh establishment, where you paid for how good the food looks on the plate as much as how the food tastes. Here we were, sweated up, dressed in shorts and T-shirts, with all these apparently well-to-do folks sitting around us wining and dining in lavish splendor. We chose to sit at an outdoor table on the restaurant's rear patio, and ordered dinner. The price tag for the three of us to eat at the Andora - with Jesse getting just a salad and Sparky and I doing the daily dinner special - 86 bucks! (Sparky put it on his credit card – thanks!)

Towards the end of the meal, the tow truck arrived, and we received good news – despite what AAA had told Jesse, these folks had a passenger roll-off truck, and could accommodate all three of us. So after securing Jesse's beleaguered ride on the back, the truck operators, John and Nancy, loaded us into their rear passenger seats, and we were on our way.

John and Nancy were pretty cool. John had operated a AAA service station for several years, but recently retired, and towed for AAA part time as a hobby. Since he and Nancy like to travel, they wait for AAA to call and direct them to disabled motorists, and then transport the motorists and their vehicles back to their home destinations. AAA then reimburses John and Nancy for their mileage. The couple informed us that their last towing job was also from our area, as they had to haul somebody's car back to Huntingdon from Pittsburgh!

We had one more small dilemma to resolve. Sparky's associate, Troy, was already on his way to the 'Burgh to rescue us, and we didn't want him driving all the way out there for nothing. So we asked John and Nancy to drop Sparky and I off at the Murrysville Sheetz, where we then met up with Troy and rode back with him the rest of the way. John and Nancy then drove Jesse and his disabled New Yorker the rest of the way back to Altoona, and even dropped Jesse off at Pellegrine's before returning to Pittsburgh. Needless to say, Jesse and his car took quite a bit of ribbing at Pellegrine's this night.

It was still a fun afternoon, with the car problems providing some drama and humor. (The problem did turn out to be a voltage regulator.) It could happen to any car; but the fact that it happened to one of Jesse's "classic cars" - after his assurances that the car was ready for action - made for some great comedy. And despite the unexpected twists and turns of this trip, I told Jesse I'll do another journey in his "classic cars" again - just as long as I don't have to be anywhere specific in the next day or so.

A Guv'nor and his ride...Jesse stands alongside his New Yorker at Morain State Park.

Guv'nor Jesse and Sparky, enjoying the sights and sounds at Lake ARthur.

Guv'nor Jesse meditates at lakeside (probably praying his car makes it back home without breaking down, ha ha).

Part of the scenery at Lake Arthur.

At Morain State Park, Jesse starts his car with a tire iron under the hood.

Jesse's New Yorker suffers a breakdown at the Andora Restaurant.

The Andora Restaurant.

A concerned Jesse looks on as his New Yorker gets hoisted aboard the rollback truck.

The car gets hoisted further aboard.

Jesse watches as John secures the car aboard the rollback.

Jesse concedes defeat, and salutes his fallen ride.

The patient is ready for transport back to Altoona.

BACKSTREET LAW @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 6/12/05

Our rescuer from the Pittsburgh car ride, Troy, dropped Sparky and I off at Pellegrine's, and I went inside to see what Backstreet Law was up to. I expected it would be a busy night, as Backstreet Law had just released their new CD, Frustrated, and this would be the first Altoona area CD-release party for the new disc.

As expected, Pellegrine's was packed. After reporting the car ride adventure to Tony and the Pelly's door staff (so they could bust Jesse's chops when he arrived), I headed out front to take in Backstreet Law's first set. The group already had a good-sized crowd on the dance floor as they blasted a powerful set featuring original tunes, current and classic rock. For the latter portion of this set, the emphasis was on classic rock, as singer Goody, bassist Jamie Morral, guitarist Jeremy Edge and drummer Choke played tunes from the Steve Miller Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Aerosmith, introduced a song from the new CD, and finished the set with Metallica's "Enter Sandman" and the Beastie Boys' "Fight For Your Right (to Party)."

During the intermission, I learned that there had been an opening band this night, And The Sky Went Red from Michigan. The group was touring the northeast, but experienced vehicular problems in Altoona (Guv'nor Jesse was not alone in his automotive misery this night); Backstreet Law allowed them to open the evening and sell CD's to earn money to fix their rig and continue their journey.

Backstreet Law's second set featured a few more tunes from the new CD, along with a mostly hair-band 80's medley featuring songs from Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Poison, Twisted Sister and Guns'N'Roses; before shifting into The Knack's "My Sharona" and Violent Femmes' "Blister In the Sun." Towards set's end, the group did the title song to their previous CD, Hollow, with Goody wrapped up in white Christmas lights. The group then closed its second set with Drowning Pool's "Bodies."

The party continued to escalate, culminating in a wild third set. Backstreet Law kicked it off with their rowdy original favorite "Seatbelt," before delivering a slow and grinding rendition of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll." The group then stuck with tradition, and beckoned devout Backstreet Law fan Doug to step onstage to belt out the lead vocal on Ozzy's "Crazy Train." After introducing another song from the new CD, "Open Your Eyes," Backstreet Law rocked through Linkin Park's "One Step Closer," arriving at Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls," as a number of ladies graced the stage, and some even "flashed the goods" to the delight of the band and male audience members. This was followed by Rage Against the Machine's "Killing In The Name," during which the members of And The Sky Went Red joined Backstreet Law onstage to help with vocals. This led into the final song of the set, the Jamie-fronted monster rendition of Pantera's "Walk." The ecstatic Pellegrine's crowd was not ready to call it a night just yet, and encore demands led to one more song from Backstreet Law, their popular original rant "Hockey Helmet," and a salutation of "Peace, love and Jager" from frontman Goody to end the night.

Backstreet Law's rowdy performance provided an exciting close to an eventful and adventurous day for yours truly. It was definitely one of the more interesting Sundays I've experienced in recent weeks.

Backstreet Law again plays to a packed Pellegrine’s.

Several ladies bring the party onstage.

The onstage party continues.

Members of the opening band, And The Sky Went Red, join Backstreet Law onstage.

Backstreet Law and And The Sky Went Red join forces.

Backstreet Law’s party achieves full meltdown.

Once again, Backstreet Law and And The Sky Went Red combine forces to rock Pellegrine’s.

Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law.

Jeremy Edge and Goody of Backstreet Law.

Jeremy Edge of Backstreet Law.

Choke of Backstreet Law.

Some happy ladies again join Backstreet Law onstage.

Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law looks on as the onstage dance party continues.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: