· The Forums
· The Final Cut
ST PATTY'S WEEKEND RECAP 3/19
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 19, 2003 

ST. PATTY'S WEEKEND RECAP 3/19:

WEDNESDAY NIGHT 3/12: Peter C’s marquee said Cloud 9, but when I entered, a DJ was set up and spinning tunes. Not for me, later…sigh.

THURSDAY NIGHT 3/13: After helping Q94 coworker “The Bigman” Dave Rainey and intern Steph celebrate their birthdays at Hooters (NOTE: Hooters really rolls out the carpet for folks celebrating birthdays, I was impressed!), I first headed to City Limits to see Silverboy. But upon arriving, no Silver, no Boy, no band. And according to Claudio and Brandi at the bar, no-show. Too bad for Silverboy, too, because there was a decent crowd of folks at the bar this night.

So in lieu of no Silverboy, I headed over to Peter C’s, where Felix & the Hurricanes reliably always show up on Thursday nights. Again, another fun show with musical guests and a good crowd in attendance! Former Phat Lip harmonica man Dennis Argenzia, flute man Kent Martin, guitarist Ron Novak, plus Cosmic Lounge’s Dwane Edmiston and Jeremy Nelson were all in attendance and made onstage appearances. Highlights included a smoking version of “Statesboro Blues” with Dennis on harmonica; and the finale Robin Trower double-shot of “Day of the Eagle” and “Too Rolling Stoned,” featuring Felix and Ron Novak taking turns on guitar, Jeff on bass, Dwane on vocals, and Jeremy behind the kit. Good fiery jams abounded, with a lively dance floor baring witness (and at least one female dance floor participant baring something else, lol!). Another weekend of live music successfully launched… (P.S. – Peter C’s is closed for vacation all this week, so no Hurricanes there this Thursday; Pete’s reopens on Mar. 24).

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Hurricane Felix and Dennis Argenzia on harmonica.

Dwane Edmiston belts out the voice while Felix works the frets.

The Hurricanes, with Dwane Edmiston and Dennis Argenzia.

Jeremy Nelson, behind the Hurricanes’ drum kit.

Onstage guests with the Hurricanes, Dwane Edmiston and Ron Novak.

FRIDAY NIGHT 3/14: I decided to catch The Collective’s party at the 4D’s this night. The Dees was jam-packed, people were even being turned away at the door or had to wait at the stairway until others left. A lot of that crowd populated the dance floor as The Collective brought the party with their mix of old/new school R&B/funk/dance/hip hop. Frontmen Kermit and Xavier worked the crowd well, constantly involving them in the party; and the guys behind them – guitarist Neil Nicastro, bassist Iggy, percussionist Ed McGrath and drummer Matt Smallcomb – kept the grooves upbeat, tight and nonstop. The Collective mixed it up between original dance grooves and select covers, and often would work snippets of familiar dance favorites into the mix. This band gave the crowd the groove that they wanted, and the crowd packed the dancefloor until the end of the night. Good lively party!

Drummer Matt Smallcomb of The Collective.

Bassist Iggy of The Collective.

Kermit and Xavier of The Collective.

Guitarist Neil Nicastro of The Collective.

Supplying additional percussion, Ed McGrath of The Collective.

Once again, Xavier of The Collective.

Half of The Collective’s frontman tandem, Kermit Alphonso.

The Collective, giving the fans all the groove they can handle.

Once again, Neil Nicastro of The Collective.

SATURDAY NIGHT 3/15: I did a doubleheader this night, kicking off with my first visit to the newly-opened Ground Floor Coffeehouse to check out Sounddriven. The Ground Floor is actually the former Daily Grind Café with a new and bigger location and new name. Owner Jeff has opened up the Ground Floor Coffeehouse in the basement of a former church at the corner of 8th Avenue and 12th Street, and it is bigger and more spacious than the old downtown Altoona Daily Grind location. And according to Jeff, a cool scene has been happening here since they opened. This night, a large audience of young fans was on hand to groove down with Sounddriven's brand of classic-rooted jam rock. Sounddriven kept the crowd dancing and grooving with a number of catchy original numbers that tapped influences like the Dead, Phish, Allman Brothers, Santana and Black Crowes. The group also mixed in a few select tunes from Jimi Hendrix, Phish, a jam version of Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and more. The grooves were upbeat and casual, but Sounddriven was instrumentally tight and together, with guitarist Brian and keyboard man Denny handling their vocal duties well. It might have been the coffee, but the whole room was energized with band and crowd feeding off each other’s energy. At show’s end, the young crowd quickly demanded an encore, and were rewarded with a version of Phish’s “Down with Disease” and the original jam “Antelopium.” If you like strong jams, look out for Sounddriven. And as far as all age venues, support the Ground Floor Coffeehouse as Jeff has something unique and very cool happening for young area music fans!

Luke Leiden of Sounddriven.

Brian Pavlic and guest singer Shane McConnell of Sounddriven.

Denny Karl of Sounddriven.

Again, Brian Pavlic of Sounddriven.

Dan Condrin and Brian Pavlic of Sounddriven.

Dan Condrin of Sounddriven (check out the shoe ornaments hanging off the end of his bass!).

Sounddriven grooves the fans at the Ground Floor Café.

Again, Luke Leiden of Sounddriven.

After Sound Driven finished, I was off to Peter C's for 814 Records' annual St. Patty’s weekend "814 Riot." This year’s event was another maximum bash from start to end, as four bands from the 814 stable – Anarchaos, Mad Cows, Marauders and Keystone All Stars – kept a massive, beer-drinking crowd of fans happy the entire night!
Johnstown’s Anarchaos kicked things off with their hard-driving spit-and-rebellion punk’n’roll. This was my first time seeing this group, I was impressed with their all-out, bare-knuckles approach plus their ability to fuse melody and intensity into a lethal combination on tunes like “Better Days” and the fiery set-closer “Lost Generation.”
Originally billed under their new name of Johnny 5, the group announced they were going back to the Mad Cows monicker. The Punxsy-area four-piece picked up the ball and ran with it, delivering a high-velocity brand of driving, screaming punk rock. These guys too were all-out energy and agitation that never let up. Over the top, fast and furious. Peter C’s was practically standing room only by the time The Marauders took the stage. The Marauders kept the packed house happy and festive with their brand of punk-driven rockabilly and roots rock, showcasing many of the original songs from their debut and forthcoming CD “Alibi.” An added highlight for the Marauders was special guest sax player Shannon, lending sax appeal on several songs. Capping the night was the Keystone All Stars, with their high-octane brand of punkish rock’n’roll. Their set quickly became a community singalong, as fans plus members of the other three bands platooned on and off the stage to help the All Stars sing out originals such as “Concrete Rulers,” songs from their new “Once…And Young” and “Man’s Ruin” CD’s and more. By the end of the night, only a few single beer bottles still stood inside Peter C’s beer coolers, and their Yeungling supply was totally wiped out. Beer was massively consumed and fun was massively had, this was a maximum, high-powered rock’n’roll party!

Ali of Anarchaos.

Adam Getty of Anarchaos.

Stevo of Anarchaos.

Ali, the lead throat of Anarchaos.

One half of the Mad Cows, tearing it up at the 814 Riot.

Buddy and Corey of the Mad Cows.

Corey Cameron of the Mad Cows.

Brian of the Mad Cows.

Once again, Corey Cameron of the Mad Cows.

Buddy Bothelo of the Mad Cows.

Former G-Man staffers reunited: Ang and Sis, now part of the Peter C's staff.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Special guest Shannon, giving The Marauders sax appeal.

Abraham Weber of The Marauders.

The Marauders, rockin' and rollin' at the 814 Riot.

More rockin' and rollin' with The Marauders at the 814 Riot.

Let him tell you what a good time this night was - Rick Golden of The Marauders.

Brock "Hollywood" Holland of the Keystone All Stars.

Gig Nileski of Keystone All Stars, joined by Ali of Anarchaos.

A packed house cheers on the Keystone All Stars.

Brian Dumm of the Keystone All Stars.

Once again, Brock Holland of the Keystone All Stars.

Brock and Brian of the Keystone All Stars.

Two members of the Keystone All Stars female volunteer backing vox corps.

The 814 Riot was so good for him, he had to have a cigarette…Chris O'Leary of the Keystone All Stars.

Once again, Brian Dumm of the Keystone All Stars.

The Keystone All Stars, slamming the lid on the 814 Riot.

Evidence that a good 814 Riot was had by all…

SUNDAY NIGHT 3/16: It was an increasingly rare local Sunday night appearance by Nevermoure, ringing in Saint Patty’s Day 2003 at Pellegrine’s. In the early going, Nevermoure warmed up the sizable Pelly’s crowd with a mix of current and classic rocking favorites with a few original songs. During the third set, Nevermoure performed all original songs, including established faves like the radio single “Psycho,” “American Teenage Anthem,” the ballad “Still” and “Forever Yours;” plus several new songs. The newer material exhibited a harder edge but retained Nevermoure’s knack for crisp song hooks and tasty ear candy; and I heard at least one new ballad as well. According to drummer Shawn, Nevermoure expects to be making several roadtrips to the Big Apple to showcase shortly, and they already have a busy slate of shows scheduled for this summer through the end of July – including the 2nd annual “Rock the Block” Party on July 5! Good strong show this night, as Nevermoure mixed it up and threw in a few little surprises, embellishments and even a few guest leprechauns onstage along the way.

Adam Marino of Nevermoure.

Nevermoure rocks the fans at Pellegrine's.

Shawn Hocherl of Nevermoure.

Once again, Adam of Nevermoure.

Big Dawg of Nevermoure.

And again, Adam of Nevermoure.

Mike Ritchey of Nevermoure.

The fans go wild for Nevermoure at Pellegrine's.

Nevermoure's "Ravens," representing at stagefront at Pellegrine's.

Some more Nevermoure "Ravens" partaking in the stagefront festivities at Pellegrine's.

"Take our picture for the website!" I think they were thinking Nevermoure's website, but I gladly shot their photo for all of the Rockpage readership to see. I love this job!

MONDAY NIGHT 3/17: After experiencing their frolicking fun party last Saint Patty’s Day, it was a no-brainer for me to catch the Michael O’Brian Band celebrating the wearing of the green and the drinking of the Guinness at Bennigan’s in Altoona. A jam-packed house sang and shouted along as Mike Zerbee and Brian Anderson sang Irish drinking songs and other Irish and folk favorites, mixed in with sassy banter, audience participation, numerous pints of Guinness and more. Lots of highlights, including the exhaustive audience singalong rendition of “Rattlin’ Bog,” the tongue-twisting hijinks of “Sara Sara,” the rowdy curse-along version of the 70’s Smokie chestnut “Living Next Door to Alice,” Peter Paul & Mary’s “Puff The Magic Dragon,” audience requests for traditional Irish favorites like “Danny Boy” and “My Wild Irish Rose,” and more. This was one big, loud, happy Irish party, and the group even was paid to stick around an extra hour and play another set. Easily the busiest time of the year for the Michael O’Brian Band, these two appeared to weather the four straight days of singing and drinking quite well. Needless to say, I’ll be back to celebrate the drinking of the Guinness with this pair again next Saint Patty’s Day!

The Michael O'Brian Band at Bennigan's.

Mike Zerbee ("Michael") of the Michael O'Brian Band.

Brian Anderson (""O'Brian") of the Michael O'Brian Band.

Brian Anderson, demonstrating his Celtic whistling abilities.

Unexpectedly for me, this night turned into a doubleheader of live music; as upon arriving at Pellegrine’s for my weekly Monday night wingfest, I discovered Johnny Alamprese and Tom Fronauer providing some light musical entertainment, with Johnny on keys and Tom on guitar (both sang). This was the first time I have seen Johnny perform in several years; he and Tom did decent work on favorites from Jackson Browne, Byrds, Billy Joel, Elton John, Stray Cats, Beatles and more. Although the audience was small, the Pelly’s regulars and wing-eating fans politely showed their appreciation for this extra musical entertainment. According to Johnny, he and Tom will begin playing Pellegrine’s on Thursday nights soon, and are currently deciding on a new name to use for this project.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: