· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 8/15/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 

WEEKEND RECAP 8/15/05

SQUARE ONE/BORN & THE BEANSTALK @ WING-OFF, LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 8/11/05

Another Thursday found me heading back to the Lakemont Park Wing-Off, with Square One providing the entertainment.

I was a little apprehensive heading to this particular Wing-Off, as Square One has had the recent trend of bringing rain along with them. Fortunately, this was not the case this year.

After hitting up the Mueller’s Pub pavilion for some “spicy buffalo” and “barbecue garlic” wings (I liked the latter better than the former, although neither variety of Mueller’s wings really blew me away), I situated myself at a stagefront picnic table to witness what singer/guitarist Don Osborn, bassist Bill Hunter and drummer Jeff Crownover had in store for us. Joining their first set in progress, I watched as Square One performed classic rock favorites from Bob Seger, Three Dog Night, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Eric Clapton and Van Morrison, before arriving at their first intermission.

Square One’s intermissions held a surprise this evening, though. ‘Born & the Beanstalk, an acoustic duo featuring Don Osborn’s son, Shawn Osborn, and Ben Bowers, took up position onstage to play a few songs. The pair played an interesting short set, kicking off with a version of Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song;” then starting with a Beatles’ “Norwegian Wood” lead-in to the Eagles’ “Seven Bridges Road.” The duo then finished their first mini-set with the interesting pairing of the Eagles’ “Hotel California” with Led Zeppelin’s “What Is and What Should Never Be,” which received a good around of applause from the Wing-Off audience.

Square One then returned for the second round, entertaining with more 60’s, 70’s and 80’s classics from Robert Palmer, Tommy Tutone, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, the Rolling Stones, Bryan Adams, Grand Funk Railroad, Roy Orbison, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Doobie Brothers. Don demonstrated good high vocal range, especially on Bryan Adams’ “Summer Of ‘69” and Roy Orbison’s “Oh Pretty Woman;” and he displayed good skill on the fretboards as well, backed by solid rhythms from Bill and Jeff.

‘Born & the Beanstalk returned during the ensuing intermission to play a few more songs. The duo again provided an interesting mini-set, starting with David Bowie’s “Space Oddity,” continuing with Pearl Jam’s “Black,” and then stunning the crowd with a clever intertwining of Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” with Jimi Hendrix/Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower.” Ben and Shawn wove both songs together into a captivating display, receiving a strong round of applause for their efforts.

That momentum then continued over into Square One’s final set, when Ben and Shawn remained onstage to join Don, Bill and Jeff for Square One’s regular showstopper, Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Find the Cost of Freedom” into “Ohio.” This combination’s harmonies were dead-on, and the generational mix of musicians onstage received another rousing round of applause from the Wing-Off crowd. Square One then continued with more classics, performing numbers from Rare Earth, Bad Company, John Mellencamp and more. For their set finale, the group broke out an extended version the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues,” during which they included Jimi Hendrix “Third Stone from the Sun” and Led Zeppelin “How Many More Times” side journeys, before Don beckoned the audience to join in for the homestretch singalong finish. The jubilant Wing-Off crowd demanded an encore, and Square One responded with one more song, Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild,” to finish the evening.

This turned out being a pretty memorable Wing-Off, as Square One and ‘Born & the Beanstalk kept the music nonstop, and each provided ample highlights to keep the wing-eating masses attentive and happy.

Square One rocks the classics at the Wing-Off. And it isn’t raining!

Between sets, ‘Born & the Beanstalk provide acoustic entertainment.

Two fans salute ‘Born & the Beanstalk’s efforts.

’Born & the Beanstalk join Square One onstage to help launch the evening’s final set.

Don Osborn of Square One.

Bill Hunter of Square One.

GIN & JUICE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 8/11/05

After logging some more hours in the workplace following the Wing-Off, I ended this Thursday night at City Limits, checking in with the latest exploits of Gin & Juice.

I arrived shortly into Gin & Juice’s third set, and there was a change behind the drum kit this night, as Kevin Siegel was not in attendance, and Kyle Kovach was supplying the beats. (It was announced just a few days later that Kevin was stepping down from Gin & Juice, and Kyle was taking over drumming duties full-time.) With a good-sized crowd present, Gin & Juice kicked out the jam with generous doses of Phish tunes, including “Free,” “Waste,” “AC/DC Bag” and their finisher “Tweezer Reprise.” Also along the way, singer/guitarist Dustin Burley, guitarist/singer Travis Dunn, bassist Brian Pavlic and drummer Kyle jammed out on renditions of Traffic’s “Light Up or Leave Me Alone,” Violent Femmes” “Blister In The Sun,” and Talking Heads’ “Psycho Killer.”

As jam bands go, Gin & Juice are forging their own unique slant. For the most part, this group takes their song material, stretches it out and intensifies it into heated, passionate jams that electrify the dance floor audience. There’s not a whole lot of unpredictable side journeys or indecisive noodling during this group’s sets; they simply jam out and rock it up as they go. The results are hard-rocking, infectious, adrenaline-fueling grooves; and as this night at City Limits further proved, a growing and expanding fan base.

Dustin Burley of Gin & Juice.

Travis Dunn of Gin & Juice.

Gin & Juice, kicking out the jam at City Limits.

Brian Pavlic of Gin & Juice.

Once again, Gin & Juice, jamming it thick and heavy.

Again, Travis Dunn of Gin & Juice.

The new guy, Kyle Kovach of Gin & Juice.

Again, Dustin Burley of Gin & Juice.

A little psychedelic Gin & Juice for the more chemically-enhanced members of the Rockpage community…

Psychedelic Dustin Burley of Gin & Juice.

THIRD STANDARD @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 8/12/05

The story line for this particular show was interesting. Fox Television’s show, The Bachelor, was visiting City Limits for a casting contest, to find possible candidates to appear on the show’s new fall season. Western PA party rockers Third Standard would provide the party afterward, to console all the contestants (hopefully female) who didn’t make the cut.

I arrived shortly into Third Standard’s first set, and despite a national television show casting, City Limits was only lightly populated as I made my entrance and easily procured a table at the rear of the room. Third Standard was perplexed by this as well, but got down to the business of throwing a party for the few who were in attendance.

Early on, the group mixed high-energy classics and current favorites, doing tunes from Spin Doctors, Billy Idol, Van Morrison, Jimmy Eats World and Led Zeppelin; the group also performed one of their own songs during this first set, the title song from their new CD, Karma Clean. Third Standard brought the show up to full steam early, with lead guitarist Joe Scott sizzling some hot lead work during Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell” and Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll” (even going behind his neck on the former); and Steve Holtz pounding out a drum solo display at the end of the latter.

Although City Limits remained largely un-crowded, Third Standard carried their energy over into their second set, determined to keep the small crowd in the venue interested and entertained. Opening with “Enemy” off the new CD, Third Standard quickly re-established their tempo and energy, as they fired through Guns’N’Roses’ “Sweet Child Of Mine,” “Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me” and the Temptations/Rolling Stones’ “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg;” which launched into a freewheeling medley that took the audience through portions of tunes from James, Foundations, Outfield, Deadeye Dick, Greg Kihn Band, Aerosmith, Wild Cherry, and eventually, another Guns’N’Roses number, “Paradise City.” With at least a few partying women gracing City Limits’ dance floor, Third Standard kept them dancing to the intermission with Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Aeroplane” and the Bloodhound Gang’s “The Bad Touch.”

Third Standard had resigned themselves to the fact that crowdwise, they got skunked in Altoona again. The sparse City Limits audience had not grown significantly as the night wore on; but those who did stick around seemed to enjoy what Third Standard brought to the stage, and the group maintained their energy and enthusiasm to give these folks a show worth showing up to see.

Third Standard’s third set got under way with Sublime’s “What I Got,” before the group did an earlier original for the lone music journalist in the house, “14 Days in a Bender.” This song kicked the tempo back up, and Third Standard’s rocking party raged on with favorites from Jet, Maroon 5, The Clarks, Michael Jackson, Poison, AC/DC, Tom Petty and more. After the group finished their final set with Petty’s “American Girl,” the small dance floor crowd yelled for more, and Third Standard responded with two final numbers; their high-powered read of Johnny Cash’s “Ring Of Fire” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama.”

Despite the lack of a substantial crowd, this show was still a good time, as Third Standard delivered the goods. It was perplexing how the combination of this quality band AND a national television show audition casting couldn’t bring people out on a Friday night. But hopefully Third Standard added at least a few new faces to their growing fan base, and with a regular Friday gig in State College on the horizon this fall, things are still looking very upbeat for this group. It was a night of “payin’ dues” for Third Standard; hopefully they treat it as a challenge, and don’t throw in the towel on the tough market that is Altoona…

Working the frets behind his head, Joe Scott of Third Standard.

Again, Joe Scott of Third Standard.

Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard.

Andy Heinze of Third Standard.

Again, Tyson Ruhlman of Third Standard.

Steve Holtz and Joe Scott of Third Standard.

Again, Steve Holtz of Third Standard.

Steve Holtz of Third Standard.

Once again, Joe Scott of Third Standard.

Third Standard, rocking and rolling at City Limits.

From a different angle, Third Standard.

SUICIDE SWITCH/CHAPTER 5/OPPOSITION/NINETAIL/STUCK IN KAOS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 8/13/05

I was up for some metal this night, and headed to Aldo’s to witness the new era of York’s Ninetail, along with Opposition opening. I was expecting a two-band evening, but was elated to discover not just a FIVE-band show upon my arrival, but a near packed house to take it in!

Unfortunately, I arrived too late to see the first band of the night, Suicide Switch. (Had I known there were five bands on the bill, I would have arrived sooner!) But I did arrive just moments before the evening’s second band, Chapter 5, hit the stage. It had been a while since I had last seen Chapter 5, who has been concentrating their hardcore punk towards more all ages shows recently. Singer Mike Long, bassist/singer Tim Mort, guitarist Tom Noel and drummer Billy Mort unleashed furious, hardcore-driven punk, introducing a number of new songs I hadn’t heard before. I only caught two song titles, the set opener “Inside Out” and “Here We Go.” Chapter 5’s delivery was sharp and powerful, as the band charged through their tunes with full velocity and intensity. The new tunes were among the most impressive I’ve heard from these guys yet, combining punkish firepower with technical tightness and a sense of melody. It was good to see that Chapter 5 was fast and furious as ever; this set showed me this band is still hungry, and their spit and vinegar intact.

Billy Mort of Chapter 5.

Tim Mort and Mike Long of Chapter 5.

Tom Noel of Chapter 5.

Tim Mort of Chapter 5.

Again, Tim Mort and Mike Long of Chapter 5.

After a brief intermission, Opposition was next. I hadn’t seen this group since their debut performance in January at Peter C’s during the Rockpage Benefit Jam, and I was interested to witness their progress. Opposition had expanded by one member since their debut, with former I Enemy/Wake Up Screaming guitarist Rich Johnson joining their ranks. Mike “Iceman” Bryant still fronts the group; Phil Wagner plays guitar, Bill Fischer plays bass and Dave Russell plays drums. After opening with a fast-paced instrumental, Opposition kicked into the dual-speed original “Fallen Brothers,” which shifted between fast punkish and slow reggae-like breaks. The group blended elements of metal, punk, rap, reggae and hip-hop as they fired off original tunes like “Somebody,” “Suicide Machine,” the 311-flavored “Reflections,” and the more urban-tinged “Dumb Americans.” Based on what I saw, Opposition is progressing well. Iceman is developing into a feisty, confident frontman, ready to bring the party. Rich’s addition fleshes out the group’s sound well, providing Iceman with a fuller, powerful and incendiary backdrop. Opposition was exciting and enthusiastic, attacking their song material with swagger and vigor. I liked what I witnessed from these guys, and I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

Opposition kicks off their set at Aldo’s.

Iceman of Opposition.

Iceman and Phil Wagner of Opposition.

Rich Johnson and Bill Fischer of Opposition.

Once again, Opposition rocks Aldo’s.

After Opposition’s set, bassman Bill Fischer takes pride in his receding hair line.

After another intermission to change over gear, York’s Ninetail was up next. I had seen Ninetail once before a few years ago at Firefest at PPG Pavilion in Tipton, and knew that this group had dwelled in the heavier side of the metal spectrum. The group had separated for a couple of years, during which guitarists Don Belch and Chris Evans spent a short stint in Spinebelt. Spinebelt then disintegrated and reformed early this year with their original roster, and Ninetail too reformed with Don and Chris back in the fold. Jose Cabrera plays bass, Max Melton drums, Jerad Gohn keys and samples, and the group introduces a new frontman, J. William Heitmann. During their set, Ninetail moved forward from where they left off, doing raging, intense, cyber-flavored metal. J. William Heitmann vented full rage, screaming, intense vocals; backed by a punishing wall of metal sound sprinkled with various samples, synth fills and digital effects. I was only able to catch a couple of song titles amidst the maelstrom; the opening salvo “God Willing,” and “Forgive Me.” The group did other selections from their forthcoming comeback CD, The Process of Conversion, being released later this fall. Based on this demonstration, the new era of Ninetail is angrier and more savage; I’ll be interested in hearing the new CD when it comes out.

Ninetail’s new frontman, J. William Heitmann.

Ninetail brings the metal at Aldo’s.

Again, J. William Heitmann of Ninetail.

Ninetail’s keyboard and sample man, Jerad Gohn.

Max Melton of Ninetail.

J. William Heitmann and Don Belch of Ninetail.

Jose Cabrera of Ninetail.

Once again, J. William Heitmann of Ninetail.

Chris Evans of Ninetail.

Last on the bill was a West Virginia-based outfit, Stuck In Kaos. Going on late in the show, this group had to play an abbreviated set. But they made it count. Stuck In Kaos played a punishing brand of raging punk/rap/metalcore, led by an incendiary frontman in Brandon Batton who constantly worked the stagefront crowd and even mixed it up with them on the dance floor to get them going. Due to the abbreviated time frame, Stuck In Kaos only got to do 4 or 5 songs; titles I caught included “Our Holy War” and the group’s title, “Stuck In Kaos,” which closed the night. A number of the group’s songs dealt with with social and political themes; one tune (whose title I missed) was about the Patriot Act. But in their 20-odd minutes onstage, Stuck In Kaos fired the Aldo’s crowd into an insane frenzy, with Aldo and his doorman maintaining a vigil on the dance floor to make sure things didn’t get too out of hand.

Venting before the stagefront fans, Brandon Batton of Stuck In Kaos.

Again, Brandon Batton of Stuck In Kaos.

Once again, Brandon Batton of Stuck In Kaos.

Jeremy Selby of Stuck In Kaos.

Chaos onstage with Stuck In Kaos.

Brandon Batton of Stuck In Kaos.

Stuck In Kaos stirs up the stagefront chaos at Aldo’s.

Once again, Stuck In Kaos, bringing the madness at Aldo’s.

As it turned out, this was a very good night, with a large crowd in attendance to hear five different regional heavy-hitters. Each band had its own distinct slant and sound, and each was received very well by the crowd. Based on this night, metal and metal-related sounds still have a healthy local fan base, and this show helped to strengthen and expand that base.

“CELEBRATION OF NEIGHBORHOODS” @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 8/14/05

It was a sunny and warm August afternoon, the perfect setting for the annual Celebration of Neighborhoods at downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza, being presented by the Blair County Community Action Agency.

A sizable crowd was already present as I arrived and purchased some initial food items. (Traditionally, I always purchase haluski from one of the stands, as this is usually the only time of the year I can purchase haluski on the Blair County side of the mountain!) Dream Catcher was taking the stage, and launched into their set of classic rock’n’roll and country. Singer/bassist Jim Hemcher, guitarist/singer Ric Criste and drummer/singer Tom McDonald performed a varied slate of tunes such as Kentucky Headhunters’ “Dumas Walker,” Bobby Fuller’s “I Fought the Law” (with Tom singing lead), plus tunes from Alabama, Bob Seger, Wilson Pickett, Dion, Santo & Johnny, Robert Palmer, ZZ Top, the McCoys and more. All three musicians were solid on their instruments and vocals, and provided a good workmanlike performance that inspired at least a few audience members to get up and dance.

Dream Catcher kicks off their set at Celebration Of Neighborhoods.

Ric Criste of Dream Catcher.

Jim Hemcher of Dream Catcher.

Tom McDonald of Dream Catcher.

After Dream Catcher’s set, three young singers were each introduced to perform individually, doing a few songs each. Mia Stellabotte sang contemporary Christian music, Kayla Hilton sang gospel, and Elaini Arthur sang country. It was cool to see Elaini’s development as a performer; her voice is improving, and although still a bit shy onstage, she still addressed the audience with information about the Patsy Cline number she closed her mini-set with.

Singing some gospel, Kayla Hilton.

Young Elaini Arthur, crooning some country at Celebration Of Neighborhoods.

In the meantime, Flight 19 completed their preparations and were soon ready to resume the rocking tempo of the afternoon. Opening with their own bluesy original “Unlock,” Flight 19 mixed up a variety of current and classic rock and funk favorites; including tunes from Jimmy Eats World, Queens of the Stone Age, Stone Temple Pilots, Lenny Kravitz, Violent Femmes and more. Along the way, the group mixed in original tunes such as the new “Liquid Courage” and “3 of a Kind;” a 70’s/80’s funk-meets-90’s/00’s rap medley (watching frontman Brian Thomas edit himself to keep the tunes family-friendly provided a few laughs), and an 80’s new wave medley. Flight 19 generated good energy and a positive vibe, and successfully drew members of this mixed-ages crowd up to dance, including small children and even a few senior citizens.

John McKelvey and Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Seanson of Flight 19 breaks out some Mardi Gras beads for a young fan.

John McKelvey of Flight 19.

Sean Johnson of Flight 19.

Again, John McKelvey of Flight 19.

Flight 19 rocks Heritage Plaza during Celebration Of Neighborhoods.

Following Flight 19’s set, Sunday evening “Backyard Rocker” duty beckoned me, and I had to depart Heritage Plaza. But “Celebration Of Neighborhoods” was again a big success, as live music and community togetherness were again in abundance, breathing life into downtown Altoona on a summer Sunday afternoon.

Manning the sound board this afternoon, Rick Claar.

A member of ZZ Top in the audience? Maybe…maybe not.

BACKSTREET LAW @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/14/05

Following the aforementioned “Backyard Rocker” duty from the previous review, I motored over to Pellegrine’s to end the weekend, with the ever-volatile Backstreet Law providing the tunes.

Pelly’s was packed as I entered towards the end of Backstreet Law’s second set. I picked up the action as singer Matt “Goody” Goudreau, guitarist Jeremy Edge, bassist Jamie Morral and drummer Mike “Choke” Oakley introduced one of the tunes from their new CD, Frustrated, “Till December.” The dance floor stayed busy and rowdy through renditions of Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” and Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party),” before the band closed out the set with the title track from their last album, Hollow; ending the show with Goody wrapped in a string of white Christmas lights for an interesting visual effect.

After a reasonably short intermission, both Backstreet Law and the Pelly’s crowd were rested up for the finale. A thundering hip-hop beat signified that one of Backstreet Law’s most popular original tunes, “Seatbelt,” would launch the third set, in the process drawing a multitude of Pelly’s females onstage. Those ladies continued to dance and bump and grind with the band onstage through renditions of Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock’n’Roll,” Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl” and The Clash’s “Should I Stay or Should I Go.” Then, in Backstreet Law Altoona tradition, the group invited their superfan, Doug, onstage to front their rendition of Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train,” before introducing another of their original songs from the new album, “Open Your Eyes.” Bassman Jamie then took over lead mic to snarl out the lead voice on Pantera’s “Walk,” followed by the group’s rendition of Motley Crue’s “Girls Girls Girls.” Backstreet Law then closed out the night by answering audience demands for another of their original favorites, the rowdy “Hockey Helmet.”

Backstreet Law again did what they do best, blending crowd favorites and originals into a high-powered, action-packed mix. The group maintained a steady tempo, firing from one song into another and not giving the Pellegrine’s crowd any reasons to become disinterested or sit down. Goody and his bandmates constantly scored points by thanking both the crowd and Pellegrine’s for their continued support. Both band and crowd fed off each other’s energy, elevating the electricity and enthusiasm of the evening to a steady crescendo during the third set.

Bottom line: Backstreet Law provided another convincing, high-powered show to slam the door shut on another weekend. They again delivered the goods.

No, it’s not a Christmas tree from Hell, it’s Goody of Backstreet Law.

A familiar sight: Backstreet Law and an ecstatic Pellegrine’s crowd.

With Pellegrine’s ladydom gracing the stage, Backstreet Law.

Backstreet Law’s onstage dance party continues.

Amidst the onstage fog, Jeremy Edge of Backstreet Law.

Bellowing sinister howls, Jamie Morral of Backstreet Law.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: