· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/29/05
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 01, 2005 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/29/05

ISSUES @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 8/24/05

As I’ve stated before, Wednesday nights are usually my “hell nights” at the workplace, and I usually have to arrange to get work done on other nights, or get lucky and have a lighter-than-usual workload, to be able to get out and see live music.

This night, a lighter-than-usual Wednesday workload enabled me to head to downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza to check out Issues; the first time I had seen this group since they last played here a year ago. The concert was part of the Blair County Community Action Agency’s Summer Concert Series.

Singer Clarisse Ellis, guitarist/singer John McKelvey, bassist Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky and drummer Skip Fisher performed a mixture of new and older original material. Their first set leaned a bit lighter and milder in musical direction; with Issues’ more aggressive numbers spared for the nightcap set.

First set highlights included such numbers as “On and On,” “Since You’ve Been Gone” (their own original, NOT the Russ Ballard classic popularized by Rainbow and Head East), the dark-textured “Creatures Of The Night,” “Thinking In Pictures” and the John-fronted “By Tyrone.”

Issues’ original tunes showed a variety of textures, blending elements of modern alternative, 80’s new wave and a classic rock foundation. Each song had a different flavor, but all the songs were tied together by Clarisse’s clear voice and the steady instrumental foundation behind her.

It was interesting to note that although the crowd was mixed-ages, spanning kids to senior citizens; Issues’ all-original music was going over well, and the audience stuck around. A few younger audience members were even dancing, although they likely had never heard these songs before.

The nightcap set featured Issues’ harder material, kicking off with “Lily In My Soul.” Highlights during this set included “Fly,” the woman’s revenge tune “Independence Day,” the group’s best-known number “Run From the Shadows,” their update of Zorbo and Skip’s old Cut The Mustard number “Cross That Line,” and the show-ending “Neverland.”

Again, Issues’ diverse range of song material sounded crisp and fresh, and the group kept much of the audience interested through the show’s duration.

It was good to see what this group was up to, and hear their newest creations. Hopefully Issues will make more frequent appearances on area stages, so I don’t have to wait until next year’s Summer Concert Series at Altoona’s Heritage Plaza to see them in action again.

Issues, providing the tunes during a warm August evening at Altoona’s Heritage Plaza.

John McKelvey of Issues.

Bob “Zorbo” Slovikosky of Issues.

Clarisse Ellis of Issues.

Once again, “Zorbo” of Issues.

Issues, continuing to bring original rock to Heritage Plaza.

VELVEETA @ TUSSEY WING CHALLENGE, TUSSEY MOUNTAIN AMPHITHEATER near BOALSBURG 8/25/05

The Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s had concluded the previous Thursday, but there were still wings and live musical fun to be enjoyed for two more Thursdays, courtesy of the Tussey Wing Challenge at Tussey Mountain Amphitheater. I had enjoyed one of these already this summer, and I was back to enjoy the two remaining Wing Challenges.

The crowd was huge as I arrived, likely due to the arrival of all the students back in Happy Valley for the start of fall semester. Even though it was crowded, I was still able to locate a good strategic location for my folding chair, midway between the stage and the wing tents, so I was equidistant from both essentials for happy living on this night – wings and live music!

Again, Tussey offered up four different eateries cooking up various varieties of wings. Cohort Sparky D’Engineer and I sampled varieties from each of the four; my personal fave this week was Wegman’s Caribbean Jerk wings – excellent flavor!

The band onstage wasn’t shabby, either. Velveeta did what they do best, entertaining the large mixed-ages crowd with a wide-ranging variety of upbeat party tunes; spanning material from Bon Jovi, Rancid, B-52’s, Black Crowes, Sublime, Def Leppard, Presidents of the United States Of America, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Garth Brooks and more. Just about everybody in the current installment of this band – keyboardist Brent Martin, guitarists Brian Kriley and Mike Lee, bassist Stephen Bentz and drummer John Harper – sang lead vocals at some point during this show. Velveeta kept the show upbeat and festive, and the tunes and pacing nonstop; which in turn kept dancing activity constant from various folks at the front of the stage. These guys aren’t fancy or display a lot of instrumental finesse, bells and whistles; but they do fire up the party and keep the crowd happy. It’s a formula that has served Velveeta well, as they close in on a full decade that has seen them rise into Penn State’s quintessential party band.

It was a fun evening of wings and live music, and even though the huge crowd resulted in the Tussey parking lot resembling Star Lake afterward (and I actually took a nap in my car to bide the time until the gridlock cleared out before trying to leave), it was a good time.

John Harper of Velveeta.

Velveeta, providing the tunes at the Tussey Wing Challenge.

Velveeta gets ‘em dancing at the Tussey Wing Challenge.

One more time, Velveeta.

PELT @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 8/26/05

As a music journalist, I was at Peter C’s this night to report on the band Pelt. But along the way, a half dozen young ladies in bikinis got on the stage, just as I was hoping to take some pictures of the band’s gear during intermission. Try as I might, I just couldn’t take pictures of the gear without those bikini’ed ladies standing in them. Oh, the challenges of this line of work…

Seriously, it was another installment of Peter C’s Bikini Contest, and Pelt was there to entertain the fans and perverts. As I arrived, Pelt – singer Shane, guitarist Adam, bassist Babs and drummer Joe – were warming things up with tunes from Bush, Tommy Tutone, J.Geils Band, Van Morrison, and a rocking take on Kenny Loggins’ “Danny’s Song.” Early on, the group had at least a few ladies on Peter C’s dance floor and busting some moves.

The intermission meant time for the actual bikini contest itself. Six contestants stepped onto the stage and presented their best, titillating assets for consideration of winning top honors in this prestigious event. At least two of the contestants were from the local exotic dancing community, and those audience members interested in further examining their credentials for bikini contest top honors were invited to consider the matter later on at The Tin Cup. One of the contestants, Kyla, was the daughter of Peter C’s staffer/regular Stacia; when the votes of the audience were counted, she won. But the audience also won, and so did Peter C’s main man Big John, who gets to stage and emcee a bikini contest with the blessings of his wife, Jodie K – what a lucky guy!

Pelt then faced the monumental task of having to follow up the bikini contest onstage. Although a few bikini fans left after the contest, enough crowd still stuck around to give Pelt an audience and at least some dance floor action. The group delivered, dishing out more modern and classic rocking favorites from Rancid, Tool, Jimmy Eats World, Collective Soul, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ramones, Puddle Of Mudd and more. Pelt was fundamentally sound on the instrumental front, and kept the vibe happy-go-lucky and casual.

In all, it was a good time. The bikini contest provided the eye candy (at least for the male audience members), and Pelt’s brand of upbeat, good-time rock and roll provided ample fun on either side of the contest.

Bikini contest!!!!!

Big John lines the contestants up onstage.

The Peter C’s Bikini Contest 6 field of contestants.

The contestants make their case for Bikini contest supremacy.

I just wanted to get a picture of Pelt’s drum kit, but she was standing in the way…damn! (JP snickers…)

The full moon was shining during Peter C’s bikini contest.

The pressure is on as Big John tallies up the votes.

Anticipation builds as Big John prepares to announce the winner.

Big John announces the results.

Bikini contest!!!!!

After the Bikini contest, one contestant gives us a little Rockpage extra.

Babs of Pelt.

Shane of Pelt.

Again, Babs of Pelt.

Joe of Pelt.

Adam of Pelt.

Again, Adam of Pelt.

Pelt, rocking and rolling at Peter C’s.

Once again, Pelt.

Pelt keeps ‘em dancing at Peter C’s.

Pelt gets the ladies dancing at Peter C’s.

Which one’s the mom and which one’s the daughter? Stacia and Peter C’s bikini contest winner Kyla.

15TH “END OF SUMMER JAM” BENEFIT CONCERT @ CRESSON SPORTSMEN’S CLUB, CRESSON 8/27-8/28/05

DAY ONE 8/27:

Fifteen years ago, Mickey Luckenbaugh and several musical pals organized an impromptu jam session just to have some fun and play some music together. An annual tradition was born, and “End Of Summer Jam” has become one of the most eagerly anticipated events on my summertime calendar – even though it does signify the beginning of…the end of summer. Musicians and fans again converged on the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club to enjoy music and camaraderie, and raise money for Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

The weather forecast was not the greatest for the first day of this two-day extravaganza, with showers and rain expected. It had rained during the morning, and the skies were gray as I arrived at the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club towards the end of the first band of this year’s event, Gin & Juice. I only got to catch the band’s last two or three songs as I set up my camcorder gear, but what I heard sounded good, and Gin & Juice went over well with the small, early afternoon audience.

It didn’t take very for the next performer to get set up. This would be my first opportunity to see Matt Burns in action since his departure from The Flame Sky. Matt gave an entertaining presentation, mixing an interesting variety of acoustic classics and occasional current favorites. His set list was quite diverse, from Hank Williams Sr.’s “Kaw-Liga” to Sublime’s “Wrong Way,” to Jim Croce’s “You Don’t Mess Around with Jim,” Dobie Gray’s “Drift Away,” the Beatles’ “Rocky Raccoon” and more. An interesting highlight during Matt’s set was a ‘wreck’ double-shot, when he performed Gordon Lightfoot’s “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” back-to-back with the traditional railroad folk song “Wreck of the Ol’ 97.” Matt’s performance was cordial but witty, as he tied his set list together with clever one-liners and lead-ins. His voice and guitar skills were superb, and he even broke out the kazoo on one song. I was very impressed with my first look at Matt Burns solo; as was the rest of the End Of Summer Jam audience, evidenced by the unanimous round of applause from throughout the concert grounds.

Adding an acoustic touch to Day One of “End Of Summer Jam,” Matt Burns.

Demonstrating his guitar and kazoo abilities, Matt Burns.

Once again, Matt Burns.

A light and misty drizzle fell on and off during the course of the afternoon. I was fearing the worst, that people would stay away from the concert. But, while the weather no doubt kept some folks away, others braved the soggy conditions to check out the show. A few RV’s and tents were set up throughout the grounds, while other fans found vantage points under the pavilion area and near the food pavilion. And although late in arriving, a contingent from Mazz’s Pizza eventually showed up to cook up burgers, hot dogs, fries and more.

As the drizzle falls, show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh stretches some plastic over the roof of the official “End Of Summer Jam” T-shirt concession area.

As the mist fell, the next band was soon ready to go. Generation Gap had just played their debut performance two weeks before, at Delgrosso’s Park in Tipton; this would be their second show. Their name, Generation Gap, represents their widespread age range: guitarist Jarrett Bickel and keyboardist Don Hughes are young and in the early stages of their local music career; bassist Harry Walter, the senior member of the band, has been making music since the early 70’s; and singer Brian Elliott and drummer Ed Murvine fall into the middle of Generation Gap’s age spectrum. Like the band members’ ages, Generation Gap’s set list spanned several generations as well, as the group performed 70’s classics like Badfinger’s “No Matter What” and Steely Dan’s “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number,” 80’s tunes such as Tom Petty’s “Running Down a Dream” and Van Halen’s “Jump,” 90’s songs such as Big Head Todd & the Monsters’ “Broken Hearted Savior” and Collective Soul’s “Shine,” and contemporary favorites like Fuel’s “Bad Day” and The Clarks’ “Better Off Without You.” For just their second show, Generation Gap did a very good job. Brian, in his first official band situation, performed well, displaying a rangeful and powerful voice and a little bit o’soul. Jarrett flashed several hot lead guitar solos along the way, and Don demonstrated some tasty keyboard fills and playful digital effects as well. Generation Gap delivered good, solid, fun rock’n’roll, ‘nuff said!

Generation Gap makes their “End Of Summer Jam” debut.

Once again, Generation Gap.

Brian Elliott of Generation Gap.

Harry Walter of Generation Gap.

Don Hughes of Generation Gap.

Ed Murvine of Generation Gap.

Jarrett Bickel of Generation Gap.

Harry, Brian and Jarrett of Generation Gap.

Once again, Jarrett Bickel of Generation Gap. Remember the name, this young talent displayed some serious chops!

An already inebriated fan breaks out his cigarette lighters for Generation Gap. (I saw this guy collapse and pass out on the lawn later in the evening, he wins the unofficial “End Of Summer Jam” Drunk Of The Year Award.

Drunk fans make good fans; this fan continues to whoop it up for Generation Gap.

And then they went above and beyond the call of duty. Per the Saturday schedule of “End Of Summer Jam,” two bands from outside the area were to follow Generation Gap’s set and perform into the evening hours, before Half Tempted was slated to close out the night. I had seen one of the two bands pull up along the driveway leading up to the stage, and the band members watch as Generation Gap played their set. The group’s manager, a former local resident who I’ve spoken with over the years, approached me during Generation Gap’s set and greeted me. At this point, I thought all was well. As a light drizzle began to fall on the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds, the manager walked back over to me and reported that his band wouldn’t be able to perform, citing the rainy conditions and claiming that the band’s keyboard player had $100,000 worth of gear that he couldn’t risk exposing to moisture. He then told me that the band was leaving the grounds to get a bite to eat at the nearby Cresson Mickey D’s. Shortly afterward, “End Of Summer Jam” main man Mickey Luckenbaugh came up to me and reported that the band and their manager had bailed out and were gone. Not only that, but the second band – who was playing an all ages gig in Altoona before heading up the hill to do this show – was nowhere to be found, either (they no-showed, even though they had no keyboard to risk getting wet). I could almost buy the first band’s excuse for bowing out, except that this was a misty, light drizzle, with a very light breeze; and the Cresson Sportsmen’s stage was large and had a sizable, solid roof covering it. There was ample dry space to set up keyboards and electronic gear; and Don Hughes from Generation Gap was having no problem with his keyboard array getting wet. Bottom line, the last-minute defections left a bad taste in everybody’s mouths, and created a large time gap in the concert that needed filled. Thanks to Generation Gap, who willingly played on for at least another 30-45 minutes to cover some of the gap.

(I should mention at this point that the first band did eventually PM me here on Rockpage to apologize for the defection, and said they mailed check donations to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh; they also reported that they had parted ways with their manager.)

Fortunately, Half Tempted bassist “Big Jim” Ricotta had arrived early and was already present when this situation developed. He placed a few calls to his bandmates, and soon singer/guitarist Ron Dalansky arrived. They consulted with another musician already on the grounds, Ron Novak, and soon set up some gear and began performing acoustic. The time gap between Generation Gap and Half Tempted acoustic was a little over an hour, thanks to both bands for saving the day.

Big Jim and the two Ron’s performed an acoustic set while they awaited the arrival of drummer Steve McCulley. The trio played classics from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Five Man Electrical Band, the Who, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Rolling Stones and more; Ron Novak sang lead voice on Neil Young’s “Down By the River.”

After Steve arrived and set up his drum kit, it was time for Half Tempted electric to finish out the evening. Ron Dalansky, Big Jim and Steve gearshifted the party into rocking mode with hard-rocking tunes from AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Ted Nugent, Drivin’N’Cryin,’ Poison, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 3 Doors Down, Judas Priest and more. Although the audience on the Cresson Sportsmen’s grounds wasn’t huge, it was up for the party, and a number of folks danced and grooved in front of the stage, even despite an additional shower or two during Half Tempted’s two sets.

Ron Novak, jamming with Big Jim and Ronny D of Half Tempted.

Once again, Ron Novak.

Steve McCulley of Half Tempted.

”Big Jim” Ricotta of Half Tempted.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Once again, Ronny D of Half Tempted.

Half Tempted rocks “End Of Summer Jam” to halftime.

Despite rainy weather and band no-shows, “End Of Summer Jam” had progressed to halftime. Sunnier weather and another full slate of bands were on tap for the second half of the event. Big Jim, the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse and yours truly retreated down the hill to the ‘Toona to grab an overnight breakfast at Denny’s, and get rested up for the second day of “End Of Summer Jam” festivities.

DAY TWO 8/28:

Although I did get properly rested up, I was still running late as I headed back up the hill to catch the second day of “End Of Summer Jam.”

Upon arriving, I learned that I had already missed the “sunrise” performance of Todd Hinkle; and while another band was slated to kick off the afternoon, Sticker was onstage and doing the honors. (I soon learned that the scheduled band had bowed out of the event due to several circumstances, and that Sticker had moved up to cover the slot.)

Now a trio, Sticker gave the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club the needed wake-up jolt with a good dose of hard-nosed rock and metal. Singer/bassist Joe Dedon, guitarist/singer Bill Puncheon and drummer Scott Wilson rocked with tunes from Black Sabbath; doing “Paranoid” from the Ozzy Osbourne era and “Mob Rules” from the Ronnie Dio era. The group also performed tunes from Filter, Alice In Chains, Black Label Society, Stone Temple Pilots, Judas Priest, White Zombie, Rob Zombie, Metallica and more. The group also did at least two original songs after my arrival; “My Stripes” and “Beautiful Someday.” Sticker sounded sharp; they were instrumentally on the money, and vocally their pipes were strong and their harmonies were effective. Sticker received rousing applause from the arriving and awakening Cresson Sportsmen’s audience, and made a good first impression during their first “End Of Summer Jam” appearance.

Heating things up during Day Two of “End Of Summer Jam,” Dubois rockers Sticker.

Joe Dedon of Sticker.

Again, Sticker, rocking at their first “End Of Summer Jam.” (Ironically, the group was playing Filter’s “Take a Picture” as I was…taking their picture.)

Again, Joe Dedon of Sticker.

Sticker, awakening the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club with some blistering rock.

Bill Puncheon of Sticker.

Scott Wilson of Sticker.

Yours truly, enjoying Day Two of “End Of Summer Jam.”

Things are running smoothly at the official “End Of Summer Jam” command center.

It was shaping up to be a nice afternoon, with the previous day’s grayness and mist replaced by sunshine and comfortable temperatures. My camcorder gear was set up, and I was kicking back and taking in the day back under the sound tent. A few fans and friends were standing around, including the father/daughter duo of Steve and Kim Lockard, themselves regular fixtures who attend this event every year. Steve casually mentioned that he had heard on the scanner during the night that there had been a shooting incident at the UVA Club in Altoona. Steve didn’t hear any further details about this, and I didn’t give it a whole lot of thought initially – other than that Guv’nor Jesse had hinted about maybe heading over there after we had finished breakfast at Granny’s. However, we all decided to pass on the idea, and we all headed home.

A few minutes later, though, Rockpager Lonewolf arrived and broke far more grim news – that there indeed had been a shooting at the UVA Club, and that three people had been killed, including UVA/Belmar Hotel owner Al Mignogna and UVA doorman Fred Rickabaugh. (We would later learn the identity of the third victim, Stephen Heiss.) Needless to say, we were shocked. At about the time that Big Jim, Jesse and I were enjoying our breakfast at Denny’s, something violent and awful was happening only a few miles away. It gave me a chill, and made me far more glad to be right where I was – with friends, several miles up the hill, in the relative peace and tranquility of “End Of Summer Jam.”

In the meantime, the next band of the afternoon – Pittsburgh’s T.M.P. (the Tony Mollick Project) – was setting up and getting ready to play. Singer/guitarist/namesake Tony Mollick, bassist Fuzzy McGirk and drummer David Blake delivered a crisp-rocking set of blues-rooted hard rock and funk. The group pulled out some lesser-played gems, such as ZZ Top’s “Arrested For Driving While Blind,” Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Willie the Wimp” and “Couldn’t Stand the Weather,” Gov’t Mule/Allman Brothers’ “Rocking Horse” and more. T.M.P. also did several of their own original tunes, including “Forget About Me,” “Make It Right,” and to close the set, one of Tony’s and David’s tunes from their previous band, the Groove Junkies – “Justice,” complete with “Iko Iko” midsection. T.M.P. sounded sharp, and executed their set with ample soul and swagger. Tony demonstrated his trademark fiery guitar skills, and sang his lines with soul and sass; while Fuzzy and David backed him with lean, powerful rhythms. Following Sticker’s hard-rocking set, T.M.P. kept the energy level high, and kept build the momentum of the afternoon.

Tony Mollick of T.M.P. – The Tony Mollick Project.

T.M.P. – The Tony Mollick Project.

David Blake of T.M.P.

Todd Hinkle, grooving in the stagefront lawn to T.M.P.

Once again, Tony Mollick of T.M.P.

Fuzzy McGirk of T.M.P.

The Tony Mollick Project rocks the 15th annual “End Of Summer Jam.”

Once again, T.M.P.

An added highlight of this year’s “End Of Summer Jam” – chic wrasslin!’

More chic wrasslin’ at “End Of Summer Jam;” somehow, referee Dan Way wound up at the bottom of the pile!

The earlier band departure from the event left a gap to be filled at “End Of Summer Jam.” Felix & the Hurricanes were the next scheduled band, and they had an earlier gig they had to do first, and weren’t available for another two hours. An unexpected hero came through to fill the gap, Rick Ramsey, who was already on the grounds to take in the event. Rick set up his gear, and proceeded to perform an almost nonstop two-hour set of tunes! Armed with his acoustic guitar and harmonica, Rick’s musical sojourn spanned a wide range of tunes, from 70’s, 80’s and 90’s rock favorites to country numbers and more. Rick did a very convincing Johnny Cash voice on his treatments of “Ring Of Fire,” “Folsom Prison Blues” and “A Boy Named Sue;” and he broke out such wide-ranging tunes as Nilsson’s “Coconut,” Toadies’ “Possum Kingdom,” U2’s “With Or Without You,” Willie Nelson/Ed Bruce’s “Mamas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys,” Marcy Playground’s “Sex and Candy,” Radiohead’s “Creep,” Soundgarden’s “Fell On Black Days” and more. Rick also dug out a tune from the archive of his previous band, Stix and Stones, doing “Call On Me.” Todd Hinkle joined Rick onstage for a duet rendition of Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance.” Rick kept the music going, and kept the crowd amused with some humorous banter along the way. A few times, audience members got up and danced to his tunes, including one fan named Stephanie, who started doing gymnastic backflips on the stagefront lawn; wild! Rick kept it happy and fun, and nicely filled the gap until Felix & the Hurricanes arrived.

Unscheduled, but a very welcome addition to this year’s “End Of Summer Jam,” Rick Ramsey.

Once again, Rick Ramsey.

Two fans enjoy Rick Ramsey and Todd Hinkle onstage.

Rick Ramsey, joined by Todd Hinkle.

Ladies dancing and enjoying Rick Ramsey. (The dancing lady, Stephanie, later became so excited watching Rick that she did gymnastic backflips in the lawn! She was good at it, too!)

Two of “End Of Summer Jam’s” most ardent fans, Steve and Kim Lockard. Yes, Steve is reading a copy of Pennsylvania Musician.

This young fan wanted to get a picture of the official photographer/videographer of “End Of Summer Jam.” Here she is getting her camera ready.

“Do I really want to take a picture of ‘The Professor?’ I might break my camera!”

The aspiring young photographer is shown how it’s done.

The Hurricanes did eventually arrive, and quickly set up their gear, and coordinated to use some of The Flame Sky’s gear (including drummer Nate Woods drum kit) to save on changeover hassles between the two bands’ sets. Kicking off with the Jeff Clapper-sung rendition of Badfinger’s “No Matter What,” the Hurricanes blazed through a crisp set of blues-infused classics and original tunes, including the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out” and “Dreams,” Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven,” and original tunes such as “Walking the Straight Line,” “Issues,” “Black Widow” and more. Aware of the tragic happening in Altoona the night before, the Hurricanes dedicated the pairing of “When the Saints Go Marching In” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Loew” in memory of Al Mignogna and Fred Rickabaugh. The Hurricanes’ playing was fiery and superb as always, and the group quickly had a number of fans dancing in the stagefront lawn. There have been fifteen “End Of Summer Jam” benefits, and the Hurricanes have been there for each of them; and with their continued popularity and quality performance, expect them to be there for many more “End Of Summer Jam” concerts in years to come.

Two young fans dance to Felix & the Hurricanes.

Making their 15th annual appearance during the 15th annual “End Of Summer Jam,” Felix & the Hurricanes.

The lead Hurricane himself, Felix Kos.

Jeff Clapper of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Bob Watters of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Stagefront dancers and young fans, enjoying Felix & the Hurricanes.

This young fan (the young photographer from earlier), demonstrating her tambourine talents along with Felix & the Hurricanes.

Once again, Bob Watters of Felix & the Hurricanes.

One more time, Hurricane Bob.

Thanks to Ace’s Music for providing the sound system for this year’s “End Of Summer Jam.”

It did not take very long to change over equipment, and The Flame Sky – making their “End Of Summer Jam” debut – was soon ready to go. Singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers, bassist Shawn Shultz and drummer Nate Woods electrified the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club with their energized and eclectic mixture of tunes, spanning classic rock, blues, metal and original compositions. The group began with their original “And Eventually,” and cruised into the Allman Brothers’ “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.” They launched a Robin Trower double-shot of “Day Of The Eagle” into “Bridge of Sighs,” before tapping the psychedelic 60’s with Jimi Hendrix’s “Manic Depression.” The group broke out several new original compositions, such as “The Price You Pay” with its unpredictable conversion from casual to intense; and also performed more established original numbers such as “Only In Your Head.” The Flame Sky performed renditions of Metallica’s “Fade to Black,” Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song,” Iron Maiden’s “Phantom of the Opera,” and to end their set, Thin Lizzy’s “Emerald.” The Flame Sky were on their game, with Jason Feathers putting in a particularly fiery and intense performance on guitar. The Flame Sky kept the spirit of the event high, and the assembled audience rained appreciative cheers on the group as they executed their set.

Ed Brinkel and Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Shawn Shultz of The Flame Sky.

Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

Ed Brinkel of The Flame Sky.

Again, Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Once again, Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Again, Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

One more time, Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

The Flame Sky tear it up at “End Of Summer Jam.”

Once again, The Flame Sky.

One band remained for this year’s “End Of Summer Jam,” Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys. With Rob “The Bonz” Bonsell providing the beats, the group closed out the night with a fun mixture of blues and blues-flavored rock. Fat Vinny, Rob and bassman Randy Ketner fired up the Cresson fans with favorites from George Thorogood, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan and more. Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys pulled out a few surprises along the way; including renditions of Tom Waits’ “Make It Rain” and Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason.” The group’s treatment of “Born Under A Bad Sign,” though, was broken under a bad string, when one of Randy’s bass strings broke. Thanks to Shawn Shultz of The Flame Sky for coming to the rescue and allowing Randy to use his bass for the remainder of the set. Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys’ robust, upbeat sounds kept the remaining fans happy until the end, and helped close out this year’s “End Of Summer Jam” on a happy note.

“The Bonz,” Rob Bonsell, providing the beats for Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

The lead Wiseguy, Fat Vinny.

Demonstrating some smoking slide, Fat Vinny.

Again, Rob Bonsell, behind the Wiseguys drum kit.

In the heat of a drum solo display, Rob Bonsell of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

One more time, RobtheDrummer.

Randy Ketner of Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys, capping another successful “End Of Summer Jam.”

Once again, Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys.

Although the official “End Of Summer Jam” was over; after I broke down my camcorder gear and loaded up my car, I wound up hanging out around the ever-popular “End Of Summer Jam” bonfire, where Rick Ramsey was serenading a lingering group of fans and show organizers with his banjo. Normally, I might have headed down the hill to Pellegrine’s; but this night, given the UVA shooting and the expected somber mood at Pellegrine’s (who are close to the UVA and its staff), I decided I’d rather enjoy the peace and tranquility of the Cresson mountain air a little longer.

Another “End Of Summer Jam” was in the books. Despite Saturday’s rainy weather and band defections/no-shows, the 15th annual “End Of Summer Jam” was ultimately another success when all was said and done, with well over $2,000 raised during the weekend for Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. Thanks to Ace’s Music for the sound and light production over the two days; all the bands who did show up to take part; Rick Ramsey, Generation Gap and Half Tempted for going above and beyond the call of duty to keep the music going, organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh and his staff, the Mazz’s Pizza folks for the food, and all the fans who came out and supported this year’s event! Mickey assured me that there will indeed be a 16th “End Of Summer Jam;”and I assured him that I will be back again next year to support it.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: