First Meeting re: plce
Go to page 1, 2  Next
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
byndrsn
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Sunday Jan 29, 2006 

Well, somebody had to get this topic started.

I'm not going to say much yet because I want to digest some of the information I heard at the meeting. But, I will say that I was pleased with the attendance, I think there were a lot of good points made, and I really feel we started something that could be huge!!! Note: I said "Started" because I feel we have a long way to go until this is really organized!!

GO STEELERS!!!

Anyway, I said before on another post that if you don't attend the meeting, I don't want to hear you bitchin' - now I want to amend that statement to this: If you didn't attend the meeting - then you should try to make the next one 2 weeks from tonight at Magoo's (cresson) at 6PM. And, if you can't make that one - there will be more!!! And eventually you will either run out of excuses or we will know that you are not trying to help the cause.

GO STEELERS!!!

Also, I really want to give cudos to Paul for arranging this meeting - Great Job Buddy!!! We managed to get some things off the ground and it couldn't have happened without someone taking the initiative and the rest of you people that attended making a committment!

GO STEELERS!!!

I have a lot more to say about this - but it has been a long day of drinking at two different meetings today and I think I will reserve my other comments until a later time. BUT....... I have a lot of things that I want to say and I have a lot of things I want to present at the next meeting. So, come out and see me make an Ass out of myself.

GO STEELERS!!!

Let's get organized!!!

Let's get something done!!!

Let's make new friends along the way!!!

And, Let's educate everyone around us while we do it!!!!

And, Let's GO STEELERS!!!

(Sorry about the Steelers thing - I'm just getting very excited about next Sunday!!)
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I was also pleased with the turnout, a great start. I was also pleased it wasn't too caotic ( correct me if thats spelled wrong ) Everyone had alot to say and took turns rather well. I look forward to more meetings as e get a direction.
kickinband

I agree, our 1st meeting was productive. We do have alot more ground to cover in a short period of time. I'm looking forward to our next meeting there in two weeks. Until that time, lets pass the word that we do have an organized team that is working on the problem of ammending the current PLCB regulation. Continue talking about it and lets keep it on the front burner. We can only get more powerful and organized from here. See you all in two weeks.
Steve
http://www.countryinnbar.com
 Back to top »
Grammar

Post Posted: Monday Jan 30, 2006 

It's great to hear that the local area musicians are finally getting together to enact change. Keep up the good work, guys.

tonefight wrote:
caotic (correct me if thats spelled wrong)

The correct spelling would be chaotic.

Need help? Try www.dictionary.com
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Last evening's meeting proved to be very productive. We have some very intelligent and motivated people who are willing to tow the line and push for change. For the past two years, we've talked about changing things, but now we are actually going to attempt to do it.

But there are strenght in numbers. I feel very confident about the core members, but I want to see more people at the next meeting, especially tavern owners.

We have Senator Wozniak in our corner, but he's going to need to see support. Within the coming days, we will be posting information about how to contact him with your letters of support (straight from Wozniak's mouth: Petitions are worthless, but letters will get things done). Let's put aside all of the meaningless bullshit of covers vs. originals, whether people do drugs at Christian concerts, etc. and pull together for this cause.

America was founding on free-enterprise capitalism. The more government is involved with regulation, the harder it becomes to operate a successful business.
Grammar

Once again, great work coordinating this conference. Here's hoping change for the better will be the result.

Now, to the other business at hand:

bassist_25 wrote:
We have some very intelligent and motivated people who are willing to tow the line and push for change.

It's actually "toe the line."

bassist_25 wrote:
But there are strenght in numbers.

There "is strength" in numbers.

bassist_25 wrote:
America was founding on free-enterprise capitalism.

America was founded on free-enterprise capitalism.

You're welcome.

Need help? Try www.dictionary.com
 Back to top »
AtoMikEnRtiA
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Palmyra, Pennsylvania - Where only the Strong Survive.. kinda like New Jersey...

Grammar wrote:
Once again, great work coordinating this conference. Here's hoping change for the better will be the result.

Now, to the other business at hand:

bassist_25 wrote:
We have some very intelligent and motivated people who are willing to tow the line and push for change.

It's actually "toe the line."

bassist_25 wrote:
But there are strenght in numbers.

There "is strength" in numbers.

bassist_25 wrote:
America was founding on free-enterprise capitalism.

America was founded on free-enterprise capitalism.

You're welcome.

okay this is getting out of hand really quickly hahaha
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DMFJ03
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I too thought that the meeting was very productive. I was very surprised to see that it did not turn into a huge bitching contest. The people who atteneded the first meeting (who I will from now on call "The Core") came prepared, and were well informed.

That is what it is going to take!

I'm anxious to see what happens in two weeks.

This is only the begining.
www.facebook.com/rootandthefifths
www.twitter.com/rootfifths
www.pabands.com
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cruseaudio
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was happy to be there. There is a lot of work to do, and a lot of information to get out to everyone from last night. There will also be a need for us to use this site to get everyone informed and involved.

I am very disapointed that of the bands and clubs I know, that were complaining of getting shut down, fined, or lost another place to play never even bothered to show up.

If you think that you don't need to get involved in this you are an idiot. If you think that something can get accomplished without everyone's support, again you are mistaken. Lastly, I swear to God when things don't work out for us because of lack of support and you even think about complaining about it, well I think you see where this is going.

And this whole grammer thing, um Paul, I think someone said that is who you are, You are going to start a flame war on this thread if you don't knock it off. Dud, any thread but this one, please. It is nice to see three pages of thread here I guess, unless you are trying to find actual information and have to read through meaningless blither to get it.

I do know that it is going to take a lot of letters to get them to look at this noise rule. Letters that would be most helpful would be from wait staff, bar/club owners, beer/alcohol distributers, snack food vendors, and any band member or musician, DJ, music store that has lost money or sales or their job due to this law.

It seems that we have to fight to make ourselves look legit, just because we entertain for a living, but the key word is "living" They won't shut down a garage for making loud noise during the day because people would loose their job. So we work 2nd or 3rd shift? That is the only difference I can see.

By the way, if anyone knows a good lawyer that would be looking for some probono work, please contact someone from our group.
 Back to top »
DMFJ03
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

It's not Paul.
www.pabands.com
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cruseaudio
Gold Member
Gold Member

MK
 Back to top »
bassist_25

*LOL* I guess I could see why people would think that it's me, since I can be somewhat of a grammar-nazi at times.
Jim Price

I agree that the meeting was very productive, and it accomplished what I hoped it would; to get the issues we have to deal with out on the table, and to discuss preliminary ideas and actions needed to get the ball rolling on changing the noise provisions of the Liquor Code. And I think we're well on our way to forming a central organization that can tackle this issue, plus other issues down the road. A good start.

I expect to be at the next meeting in two weeks, but can only stay for about half an hour due to my Sunday night radio duties.

I encourage any and every Rockpage member who has expressed concern about the noise issue to make it to the next meeting on Feb. 12 at Magoo's. Actions are now being taken, and we need everybody on board! We've talked the talk, now we're walking the walk!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Primates
Gold Member
Gold Member

id hate to be the idiot here. lol

but what are you folks attempting? is it just for bars? joseph pearce of Surf N Skate in Du Bois has been doing shows for about a year and has frequently clashed with local law inforcement about the issue.

just curious. stay sic!
 Back to top »
DMFJ03
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Show up and find out.
www.pabands.com
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Primates wrote:

but what are you folks attempting? is it just for bars? joseph pearce of Surf N Skate in Du Bois has been doing shows for about a year and has frequently clashed with local law inforcement about the issue.

just curious. stay sic!

The law is generally aimed at club owners. The noise ordiances are set by the Pennsylvainia Liqour Control Board and enforced upon licensed establishments. The situation you are speaking of sounds like it would fall under local township ordiances. Enacting a change upon the law we are talking about probaly wouldn't affect the problems that you are facing, but a victory here may have a domino effect and help change other laws that aren't tied in with alcohol sales.
Jim Price

Primates wrote:

Quote:

just curious. stay sic!

It's bars at this point, because a provision of the Liquor Code states that if a loudspeaker (from a band/musician, TV, stereo, jukebox - ANY loudspeaker) can be heard outside the door of a liquor-licensed establishment, that establishment is in violation of the Code and can be cited and/or fined. And with the recent wave of crackdowns on liquor-licensed establishments running live entertainment, live music is being seriously impacted, which also hurts other bar- and music-related businesses. Through our efforts, we hope to eventually bring about changes to the Liquor Code noise provisions that are reasonable for live entertainment to take place in liquor-licensed establishments.

Without knowing the specifics about the Surf N Skate situation, it sounds like the problem there may be a local noise ordinance, and probably needs to be addressed on the local level.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Primates
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ahh, thank you. i plan on sending a letter to the city council of du bois any way. hopefully that works out. thanks for the info. and ill try and support this cause as much as possible. stay sic!
 Back to top »
cruseaudio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Primates

That is exactly the type of thing we are looking at. Please inform the owner that he/she should come to the next meeting, maybe organize what he wants to say (if he/she wants). Also if they received any fines or paperwork, if they would like to bring that kind of material I think it would be very useful.

Let's see if today everyone could help us compile a list of the clubs, employees, that were affected by this. I will start with the ones I know of

Beer bellies, Castle pub, Yesterdays party

I know there is more and maybe when everyone here sees the pattern emerging they will start to realize what is happening here and see the need to get involved.

I really don't want to overstep any boundrie here so all you guys that were there yesterday let me know if this is something usefull for this thread or if we should compile this list on another thread.

Seeing so many responses already leads me to believe that people here are concerned, and look at it this way 'primates' already gave us another name of someone who is affected by this, and it has only been half a day since the meeting. Awsome!! Thank you.
 Back to top »
jangel
Gold Member
Gold Member

I also thought the meeting was productive and everyone there is concerned in keeping entertainment alive and well. Theres no doubt with the core of people there that this is not just a passing fad. all musicians no matter what music you are involved in need to join forces or you may sit back and watch your passion disapear. Same goes for the establishments that provide the entertainment.
I also enjoyed meeting some of the other musicians and look forward to our next meeting.
 Back to top »
Primates
Gold Member
Gold Member

ill inform joe. im sure he'll attend. ill pass the word to the bands i work with. thank you.
 Back to top »
grimmbass
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All,

I agree with you all that this meeting was an excellent start....kudos to you, Paul! Sorry I had to leave early....a few suggestions to help get this off the ground:

1. Although we don't want to get bogged down in red tape, we DO need a spokesperson if we want this to be a unified effort. We should elect a spokesperson at the next meeting. It should be this person's job to keep meetings on-track and on-schedule.

2. Like many of the attendees, I participated in the venting nature of much of the meeting. We've got that out of the way now....we should have a simple agenda and set meeting time (i.e. the meeting has a firm start and end time) to force us to be productive.

3. We need to establish specific deliverables and tasks at the end of each meeting. Without these details, we will make no quick progress. Time is short on the matter at hand. Bottom line: If we come up with a task, there needs to be a specific individual (or individuals) who is/are responsible and an accompanying timeline.

4. We need a real plan so that this effort is towards a common goal and not a "scattershot" approach. The idea of using ABATE as an example is right on the money.

If we get the legislature's attention, we need to know what we want to happen.

I am with you 100% on this effort.

Kent
www.myspace.com/thegrimmband
 Back to top »
rocker x
Rockin' Member
Rockin' Member

Excellent work! I apologize for missing the first meeting, but you can

count me in for the second.
 Back to top »
DMFJ03
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Kent,

Most of what you mentioned was taken care of by the meetings end. I don't have any info, but I am sure someone here (who was there) can get you a copy of what we decided on.
www.pabands.com
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Ray will be sending everyone an agenda for the next meeting. Either today or tommorow, I will send out everyone's email addresses so we're all electronically connected.
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: